Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming & Collecting:
Hobbit Chronicles 6 - The Art Of War WETA Preorder and Info!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Silmaril
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 9:02am

Post #1 of 26 (3187 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit Chronicles 6 - The Art Of War WETA Preorder and Info! Can't Post

https://www.wetanz.com/...e-art-of-war-signed/

Pre-order now - Shipping November 2015

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Chronicles – The Art of War goes behind the lines to explore how thousands of artisans brought the defining film of Peter Jackson’s adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit to the screen. More than 1,000 intricate illustrations, stunning photographs and never-before-seen imagery illuminate fascinating insights shared by cast and crew, including exclusive content from the extended edition of the final film. Also included is an exclusive, fold-out battle map illustrated by Weta Workshop Designer Nick Keller!
  • 256 pages
  • Includes fold-out battle map

Discover the challenges and reactions of the stars of The Battle of the Five Armies as they recount their experiences and excitement. Join the choreographers of the film’s action to examine the battle strategies and formations of each of the five armies, and learn how a dozen stunt performers became thousands of digital troops. Pore over archive-quality photography of staggeringly detailed weapons and armour and browse galleries of fearsome war beasts and monsters.
From the sorcerous ruins of Dol Guldur and the fiery conflagration of Lake-town, follow the filmmakers on to the blood-soaked battlefields of the Lonely Mountain, and climb the steps of Ravenhill to witness the final, tragic duel of Thorin Oakenshield and Azog, the Pale Orc.
As the story of The Hobbit reaches its shattering climax amidst an epic landscape of war and tragedy, join Weta Workshop senior concept designer Daniel Falconer behind the scenes one last time as this sumptuous final book in The Hobbit: Chronicles series celebrates the epic conclusion of The Hobbit film trilogy.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Apr 22 2015, 11:15am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 10:37am

Post #2 of 26 (3107 views)
Shortcut
Can a Mod Re-Size This..? Jus' wondering..// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 10:57am

Post #3 of 26 (3099 views)
Shortcut
Interesting Release Date [In reply to] Can't Post

Suggests there should be some EE-related stuff in there.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 11:03am

Post #4 of 26 (3095 views)
Shortcut
There is, it says so...... [In reply to] Can't Post

"including exclusive content from the extended edition of the final film."

I suppose that probably tells us the EE will be out in November, at the same time as the book.

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 11:07am

Post #5 of 26 (3082 views)
Shortcut
D'oh [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know how I missed that one! Tongue

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2015, 11:16am

Post #6 of 26 (3069 views)
Shortcut
Done. :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Silmaril
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 11:49am

Post #7 of 26 (3036 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Silmaril
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 11:51am

Post #8 of 26 (3033 views)
Shortcut
Exactly my thoughts! [In reply to] Can't Post

One Last Time: Chronicles Book and Extended Edition in November.

Elessar
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 12:54pm

Post #9 of 26 (2998 views)
Shortcut
These books are so good. I love going behind the curtain. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2015, 1:08pm

Post #10 of 26 (2990 views)
Shortcut
I have three of them but [In reply to] Can't Post

remember the old thays when we had all designs and all that already in the EE´s?

The way the books are presented is amazing but is another form of making money I feel

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Silmaril
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 1:20pm

Post #11 of 26 (2975 views)
Shortcut
Of course, money is a factor... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think it's better to watch these designs on paper than on screen. They are well made, there's a lot of work in it, bought them all. The Smaug special will be the next i'll read.

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Apr 22 2015, 1:21pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 1:21pm

Post #12 of 26 (2975 views)
Shortcut
But they did publish books like these in 'the old days'... [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn't all on the EEs. The book series was called 'The Art of...'. One book for each film and one combined overview of the trilogy. Exactly the same idea, just a different format and those books weren't published and designed by Weta. They gave something the design galleries on the DVDs didn't - more artwork, but with written commentary by the artists involved.

Of course the books were 'a form of money making' then and now, as are the films. But so what? All publishing is a form of making money - it's how some people earn their living.
Thing is, no one is forced to buy. If they want to they can, if not, not - and if people didn't want to buy the books there wouldn't be any books.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2015, 1:37pm

Post #13 of 26 (2957 views)
Shortcut
I have ROTK one and its awesome but still... [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt that some of hobbit books were deliveratedly separated in two per movie in wich I feel wasnt necessary. Many characters repeated, sketches over clothing that at least for me were interesting (Im talking about laketown stuff, like house stuff as well etc)

Having Smaug cutted off in the Dos book for doing an exclusive book for himmself felt it was a cheap moevement,

but its okay if people enjoy this, for me, not so

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 22 2015, 1:54pm

Post #14 of 26 (2938 views)
Shortcut
We wants it! We wants it, my precious! [In reply to] Can't Post

But, especially, we wants a look at that battle map!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 3:45pm

Post #15 of 26 (2885 views)
Shortcut
Re the Smaug book agreed with you until I bought it... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Smaug book - when I purchased it as an impulse in a bookstore - wasn't TOO costly, and after sitting down with it, I see why the material was split out.

The amount of work and multiple teams of people involved IMO is only touched on in the Appendices compared to what the book covers. For me - who Photoshops/Gimps a little, this was fascinating - the cream of what graphics software and artists can do.Heart

Even then, I didn't understand why the "model" for Smaug was such a big deal until I was reading about how 3-D software functions later. The work with Smaug is truly staggeringShocked.
I also think the separate book is a nice tribute of sorts to each team of people - people I never thought of - the "texturizers" and the "lighters" and the "shaders" because each group helped make the magnificent, IMO wholly believable, dragon.

Now I think that not only is the book a nice adjunct purchase for the ME fan, anyone studying computer graphic arts should read it! Including computer science people interested in working in the film industry - so they can build systems that can handle generating something like Smaug. Because I'd love to see Ancalagon the Black on screen one day.WinkCoolHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 4:00pm

Post #16 of 26 (2870 views)
Shortcut
THANK YOU - suppose it doesn't matter but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't gotten book #5 yet as I was holding off for this one (unless I grow weak LOL) and wanted to buy the pair.Tongue

But - and this is no reflection on this book at all - being a costume and set junkie I was hoping this book would be as costume detail lavish as #4 Cloaks and Daggers - lots of up close photos of the costumes and the cloths used.

Or is that kind of thing already in the book already out? I don't dare look through it, because then I'd just buy it - wouldn't be able to stop myself.TongueTongueTongue

For ME only - personal taste - I'm less interested in battle plans and so on, tho I will buy all the WETA books. And I am happy for fans in the sense that as far as I could tell, PJ's handling of a complex battle w. multiple armies was praised by critics, and for many there's a great interest in the art of war.

But perhaps one day there will be a photo-packed costume book (besides whatever is already out). Or it would be nice to bring the costumes on tour, seeing as I can't get to NZ for a while.CoolFrown So I don't want this to be "the final book!"Shocked

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 4:09pm

Post #17 of 26 (2863 views)
Shortcut
I actually rather like the Chronicles concept... [In reply to] Can't Post

...to make two books for each movie, with the odd ones being from the Art & Design series (love the pencil sketches by Howe, Lee et al!) and to dedicate the even ones to different aspects of making TH: prosthetic work, costumes and weapons... as for the Art of War, I am still unsure what uniting concept there will be. Still, I'm going to get it of course.

PS: the reason for the extra Smaug book was, according to the author, the fact that Smaug basically wasn't finished yet when Chronicles 3 was written.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 22 2015, 4:23pm

Post #18 of 26 (2852 views)
Shortcut
Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

I still wish that the volume on Smaug had included some of the early design work from before Guillermo del Toro departed from the project. I especially want some nice images of the 6-foot maquette that was made from his design.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 6:08pm

Post #19 of 26 (2804 views)
Shortcut
IF there is Anyone who knows more..than our HUTT [In reply to] Can't Post

about the publications of these...

Bomby would be Completely
SURPRISED?

Our HUTT is an EXPERT!
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 22 2015, 6:22pm

Post #20 of 26 (2795 views)
Shortcut
SINCE we are discussing "Collectables"? [In reply to] Can't Post

WHO here, wouldn't want a SMAUG KITE?

Exactly like the One in the Prologue
flying over the City of Dale?

It was an Idea of Alan Lee's
& wouldn't be very expensive...

Bomby is Kinda "Cheating" since
Bomby posted this under "Collectables" this morning..
BUT help
Bomby petition WETA..about it!

What a
WAyCOOL thingie to Fly over your City
WHEREver in our
World...that you live?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

dhuey

Apr 22 2015, 6:35pm

Post #21 of 26 (2783 views)
Shortcut
So Excited!! [In reply to] Can't Post

OH! I love a good pulled out map! These books are amazing. My bookshelves are not looking so good from the weight of them though.

www.feastofstarlight.com

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2015, 7:18pm

Post #22 of 26 (2749 views)
Shortcut
they will be doing a single book for that [In reply to] Can't Post

Noria
Gondor

Apr 22 2015, 7:23pm

Post #23 of 26 (2745 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting this. [In reply to] Can't Post

These books are beautiful and I am happy to have them.

This release date works well for me because over the last three years I have asked for them as they were released for Christmas and my summer birthday and my husband has come though with them. But this year I have something else in mind for my birthday so a pre-Christmas release is perfect! Something to look forward to with the EE since there will be no new movie and no soundtrack.

It is along time to wait though.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 22 2015, 8:01pm

Post #24 of 26 (2732 views)
Shortcut
So it is said. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
they will be doing a single book for that

I have seen something to that effect, which does make me feel better about the Smaug volume.

beorn58
Bree

Apr 23 2015, 12:36pm

Post #25 of 26 (2584 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if [In reply to] Can't Post

the battle plans showing Beorn coming in from the rear - I think this was in the EW magazine article - are going to be shown.

That would be infuriating being that it WAS JUST LIKE THE BOOK BUT NOT SHOWN IN THE MOVIE!!!!!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.