Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What is your single FAVORITE Middle-Earth film?
Poll: What is your single FAVORITE Middle-Earth film?
The Hobbit (1977)
The Lord of the Rings (1978)
The Return of the King (1980)
LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring
LOTR: The Two Towers
LOTR: The The Return of the King
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
View Results (80 votes)

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 21 2015, 1:48pm

Post #1 of 24 (12340 views)
Shortcut
What is your single FAVORITE Middle-Earth film? Can't Post

After the lopsided results of the LOTR/Hobbit trilogy poll, I've decided to open things up and let you all vote on your individual favorite film. In the interest of fairness I have included the animated Middle-Earth films too. Did anyone really love the 1980 ROTK though?? I get shudders just thinking about the Minstrel of Gondor, uggh.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 21 2015, 3:46pm

Post #2 of 24 (12255 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

also my favorite in the written form. I'm always sad when the Fellowship breaks up at Parth Galen, for they will never be together in the same way again.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 21 2015, 4:18pm

Post #3 of 24 (12245 views)
Shortcut
FOTR // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 21 2015, 6:16pm

Post #4 of 24 (12231 views)
Shortcut
The Two Towers. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwarewien
Rohan

Apr 21 2015, 9:54pm

Post #5 of 24 (12213 views)
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I could live on that movie. I seem to prefer the middle chapters for some reason (with TT being my favorite in the LotR trilogy), probably because nothing bad happens to my favorite character (Thorin for the Hobbit, and the villains for LotR), and since I'm no book purist (I would miss out on a lot of good movies and TV series if I was like that, since practically everything I like is based on a book), I don't mind the changes, never did. My order for both the Hobbit and LotR movies goes as follows:

The Hobbit:

DoS (for reasons already stated)
AUJ
BoFA (not because I hate it, but because it's too emotionally draining to list as my favorite)

LotR:

TT
RotK
FotR (again, not because I hate it, I just rarely list the first movie in a trilogy as my favorite, I usually prefer one of the sequels)

Kim
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 2:53am

Post #6 of 24 (12181 views)
Shortcut
AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the one I saw the most in theaters, felt compelled to buy as soon as the TE was available, and watched almost every night for months. I had never experienced that with a movie before. It was just a joyful, colorful, fun movie that grabbed me from the first. Happy place. Heart

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 22 2015, 10:12pm

Post #7 of 24 (12112 views)
Shortcut
ROTK [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the most moving instalment of LOTR and I love it. FOTR is my second favourite though.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2015, 11:09pm

Post #8 of 24 (12113 views)
Shortcut
FOTR but then... [In reply to] Can't Post

it's also my favorite of all the books too. I love that part of the story so I'm not sure if the poll can really mean much since some of us may be skewed by what book we enjoy most.

Me85
Rivendell

Apr 23 2015, 12:02pm

Post #9 of 24 (12082 views)
Shortcut
oops [In reply to] Can't Post

I accidentally chose rotk 1980. Should be lotr:rotk

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 23 2015, 12:35pm

Post #10 of 24 (12078 views)
Shortcut
hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

That's OK, you can admit the Rankin/Bass version was your favorite lol

Me85
Rivendell

Apr 23 2015, 1:49pm

Post #11 of 24 (12073 views)
Shortcut
nooo [In reply to] Can't Post

They look so strange and uglyCrazy Visually it's really not appealing imo.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 23 2015, 6:47pm

Post #12 of 24 (12057 views)
Shortcut
I really wrestled with this. But went with AUJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

For the same reasons you list, I am picking AUJ. I kept hovering over FOTR...and its so, so close. But when thinking, what do I want to watch RIGHT NOW, and the most often, its AUJ.

Pandallo
Rivendell

Apr 23 2015, 10:25pm

Post #13 of 24 (12035 views)
Shortcut
Desolation of Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

The Desolation of Smaug was the perfect adventure from the word "go" things are happening and they don't stop happening until the movie is over. To recap...

The characters go from the ?Misty Mountains side? to Beorn's House, to Mirkwood, to the Woodland Realm, to the River Rapids, to Lake, then Laketown, to the Lonely Mountain, and to Erebor where they battle a dragon and get it to retreat... (in revenge for being humiliated) and that's just Bilbo's adventure! Not counting Gandalf's sidequest to the Highfells and Dol Guldor.

So many great moments as well, Beorn, the naming of Sting, the Ring's corrupting powers, the Enchanted River, High-fells, Mirkwood's effects on the party, the Woodland Realm, Barrels out of Bond, Thrain, the adventure through Dol Guldor, Bard's characterization, Inside Information, the spectacular battle with Smaug, Balin and Thorin's tears of joy when they finally make it into Erebor.

There is just too much to love about Desolation of Smaug, I liked Battle of the Five Armies a ton as well, but it was too emaciated. I am hoping to see a bit more meat on the bones in the EE.

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 24 2015, 10:36am

Post #14 of 24 (12012 views)
Shortcut
Dayumn [In reply to] Can't Post

Only one choice to pick! Frown

Picked FotR. It's a bit slow paced, but I feel like it's the most magical one. It's very beautiful and the soundtrack is just out of this world. Then probably RotK and AUJ following.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Apr 24 2015, 12:57pm

Post #15 of 24 (12003 views)
Shortcut
FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

Fellowship definitely seems to be the favorite. It's when we are first introduced to the characters and Middle-earth in general, so there's a sense of discovery attached to it. I agree that the score is out of this world...Howard Shore never topped himself after this film.

The slow yet magical pace of Fellowship is probably the same reason why AUJ is my favorite of the Hobbit films- they are very similar in terms of pace and journey. Both start in the Shire, head into the wild followed by a stop in Rivendell, then into the Misty Mountains before the film ends.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 24 2015, 10:06pm

Post #16 of 24 (11984 views)
Shortcut
FotR // [In reply to] Can't Post

Konrad S
Lorien

Apr 26 2015, 10:33am

Post #17 of 24 (11957 views)
Shortcut
Battle of the five armies [In reply to] Can't Post

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 27 2015, 10:29pm

Post #18 of 24 (11915 views)
Shortcut
I wish I could pick two. [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I do really like PJ's FOTR, but the animated Rankin-Bass Hobbit will always hold a special place in my heart, too.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 27 2015, 11:19pm

Post #19 of 24 (11903 views)
Shortcut
Very wise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2015, 9:38pm

Post #20 of 24 (11871 views)
Shortcut
Me three. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

elentari3018
Rohan

May 4 2015, 6:28pm

Post #21 of 24 (11765 views)
Shortcut
FotR remains the best book adaptation to movie so therefore is my favorite. [In reply to] Can't Post

I also liked the animated one which was pretty faithful but it was terrible it was never finished for RotK so cannot give complete judgment there! I did like their Frodo there-- he seemed stronger and I liked the Bruinen Ford scene more.

joec_34
Rivendell

May 18 2015, 5:12pm

Post #22 of 24 (11496 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the day...it changes between FotR & TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

Today, the Shire scenes in FotR win. Other days the Rohan scenes steal my heart.

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Jun 4 2015, 10:48pm

Post #23 of 24 (11243 views)
Shortcut
=) [In reply to] Can't Post

Dude I'm SOOOOOOO in love with TTT.......by Peter Jackson by the way. It's SOOO my favourite! =)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Aug 5 2015, 1:24am

Post #24 of 24 (10591 views)
Shortcut
I rank em [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Return of the King
2. Fellowship of the Ring
3. An Unexpected Journey
4. The Two Towers
5. The Desolation of Smaug
6. The Battle of the Five Armies

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.