The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
STINGs fate

balbo biggins
Rohan

Apr 20 2015, 4:26pm

Post #1 of 10 (1664 views)
Shortcut
STINGs fate Can't Post

what happened to sting in the movies? and come to think of it the book!

Sam had sting after shelobs attack and in the tower of cirith ungol. then they dump there stuff and dress up as orcs, but in and after mount doom, i presume there is no sting?

hmmm

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 10:15pm

Post #2 of 10 (1623 views)
Shortcut
Frodo gives Sting to Sam .... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the film Sam has the sword when he fights off Gollum on the path up Mount Doom. I don't think we see it again, but then, we don't need to. Its work is done - maybe Sam dropped it when Gollum knocked him out. Maybe he still had it out of shot.

In the book I think he still had it when they returned to the Shire but that's from memory; can't look it up right now.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 20 2015, 11:58pm

Post #3 of 10 (1615 views)
Shortcut
No, Frodo has it from the The Field of Cormallen On [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo and Sam were led apart and brought to a tent, and there their old raiment was taken off, but folded and set aside with honour; and clean linen was given to them. Then Gandalf came and in his arms, to the wonder of Frodo, he bore the sword and the elven-cloak and the mithril-coat that had been taken from him in Mordor. For Sam he brought a coat of gilded mail, and his elven-cloak all healed of the soils and hurts that it had suffered; and then he laid before them two swords.
‘I do not wish for any sword,’ said Frodo.
‘Tonight at least you should wear one,’ said Gandalf.
Then Frodo took the small sword that had belonged to Sam, and had been laid at his side in Cirith Ungol. ‘Sting I gave to you Sam,’ he said.
‘No, master! Mr. Bilbo gave it to you, and it goes with his silver coat; he would not wish anyone else to wear it now.’
Frodo gave way; and Gandalf, as if he were their esquire, knelt and girt the sword-belts about them, and then rising he set circlets of silver upon their heads.

Frodo bears it when they return to the Shire, but to the best of my memory, he never draws it. I assume, though I am not sure, that he leaves it at Bag End for Sam when he leaves the Grey Havens. Presumably, Sam also leaves it behind as an heirloom when he sets sail, but I don't know that for sure either.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 21 2015, 7:39am

Post #4 of 10 (1574 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! I couldn't remember // [In reply to] Can't Post

balbo biggins
Rohan

Apr 21 2015, 12:15pm

Post #5 of 10 (1560 views)
Shortcut
film [In reply to] Can't Post

yes, of course, how did i forget frodo not drawing his sword during the scouring, i was thinking more of the film really.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 21 2015, 12:46pm

Post #6 of 10 (1565 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't draw his sword during the Scouring in the film either [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue
I don't recall whether they show Sting in either Frodo's or Sam's possession after the destruction of the Ring, but then I don't know the films nearly as well as the books.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

balbo biggins
Rohan

Apr 21 2015, 1:44pm

Post #7 of 10 (1557 views)
Shortcut
a mystery [In reply to] Can't Post

finders keepers i say!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 21 2015, 2:01pm

Post #8 of 10 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Stephen Colbert has it.

The Hall of Fire

Merovech
Bree

Apr 21 2015, 3:31pm

Post #9 of 10 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 22 2015, 4:26pm

Post #10 of 10 (1494 views)
Shortcut
Right! . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo had been in the battle, but he had not drawn sword, and his chief part had been to prevent the hobbits, in their wrath at their losses, from slaying those of their enemies who threw down their weapons.

I betcha Sting is in the Mathom House in a place of Honor as we speak!

In Reply To
Frodo bears it when they return to the Shire, but to the best of my memory, he never draws it. I assume, though I am not sure, that he leaves it at Bag End for Sam when he leaves the Grey Havens. Presumably, Sam also leaves it behind as an heirloom when he sets sail, but I don't know that for sure either.

photo fd_4.png

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.