"Not my church!"
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 9:19pm

Post #1 of 40 (2036 views)
Shortcut
"Not my church!" Can't Post

Despite 17ish viewings of BOTFA in the theatres, there’s one line of the Master that stumped me every time. As the Master’s in his boat trying to escape Laketown, at one point he sees Smaug pass overhead and he says what I heard every time as “Not my church!!!” Not only was I astonished that the Master actually had a church, and cared about it (wow! he actually cares about something besides gold!), but I was surprised that Laketown had such anachronistic things as churches. And so I puzzled over this every single time. Thanks to the DVD and subtitles, I’ve now discovered that the line in question is the much more sensible “Now’s our chance!” So much for the Master having a heart.
Has anyone else misheard lines in either BOTFA, or in AUJ or DOS? I’m sure I’m not the only one who’s interpretationally-challenged, but I’m not sure we can top my current all-time favorite: Aragorn’s line in FOTR, just after the Fellowship escapes Moria: “Legolas! Get a map!” (“Legolas! Get them up!”) – which still makes me giggle, considering Legolas’s subsequent demonstrably poor sense of direction.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 10:08pm

Post #2 of 40 (1884 views)
Shortcut
I am sure there are some areas where I have had to re-listen to some dialogue [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can't recall specifics. Will have to sit through all of them again.

This happens with songs quite frequently.....for example, a current song...Taylor Swift's Blank Space...has caused a lot of debate over what she says: Gotta long list of ???? lovers...It has ranged from "Starbucks lovers...Starcrossed lovers etc...when it is:

"Got a long list of ex-lovers"....lyric.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 10:13pm

Post #3 of 40 (1881 views)
Shortcut
Not 'his church' - did he mean the bank? ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty funny. And it would be a stretch! As for me...yes - I *still* hear 'sacred holes' when Thorin is angry at Gandalf in AUJ. My eyebrows go up every time no matter HOW much I try to unhear it.

And In DoS - you know this cracks me up - I would swear Thorin says 'the Western CART room' (as in, 'map') as the place to go. Then they find all those bodies, and I'm thinking, wow. Lots of people died wanting to look at a map. Its a touching scene so I just beat that back. But sometimes...if I watch it with a giggly friend and a few drinks...well, there you have it. Wink

And Gandalf and the 'nads' line. That one will just be a fixture, no matter how many times I look it up.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Apr 19 2015, 10:14pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 10:21pm

Post #4 of 40 (1873 views)
Shortcut
"The Ring is my bird." [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

In RotK, after Sam has rescued Frodo from Cirith Ungol, Frodo says "The Ring is my burden." But, I swear, I always hear "bird" instead of "burden". It made me do a double take on my first viewing, and I still swear that's what it sounds like he's saying. Drives me nuts every time I watch the movie. Laugh

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 19 2015, 10:37pm

Post #5 of 40 (1872 views)
Shortcut
"Who got salami? Who got salami?" [In reply to] Can't Post

The Moria choir while the Fellowship are racing down the stairs toward the Bridge of Khazad-dum. I cannot unhear it, as much as I've tried to!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 19 2015, 10:38pm)

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 10:41pm

Post #6 of 40 (1862 views)
Shortcut
Well, be logical. [In reply to] Can't Post

That must have been one heckuva map, right, if so many died trying for a glimpse of it rather than escaping Erebor? Erego, it must be a map to Something Very Interesting. Erego again, I surmise it's a map to the Hidden Treasure of Erebor. And not treasure in the gold-and-mithril sense (since that's not exactly hidden), but in the Erebor-Has-Hot-Springs sense. Clearly, those bodies were all of fangirls, desperate for a peek.

Giggly friends and glasses of wine is the best way to view these, methinks! Smile

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 10:47pm

Post #7 of 40 (1850 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear that as "Took out the garbage, took out the garbage!", but I like your version better.

I now call that phrasing the "collapsing rocks" theme: did you notice in BOTFA, when Legolas is doing his physics-defying climb-up-the-collapsing-stones trick, there is a phrase in the music with the exact same rhythm? Coincidence, or not? Dunno.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 11:01pm

Post #8 of 40 (1842 views)
Shortcut
In AUJ, as the Dwarf refugees stream out of Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

after the dragon attack, I always hear Thorin say, "Hold your lines!" Very hard-hearted, General Thorin! (Actually he says, "Run for your lives!" apparently, but I never hear that!)

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 19 2015, 11:56pm

Post #9 of 40 (1811 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

There's this infamous deleted scene from DoS where some says Thorin yells 'Kili' to stop him from starting to climb vines while others says they hear 'Fili' (both are showed too and reacts so that doesn't help). I mean to say if you want to hear Kili you hear it. If you want to hear Fili you hear it Laugh Pretty sure it's Kili though since he's the one with a foot on a vine, but Thorin's proven to be pretty bad at their names Laugh

MEM
The Shire

Apr 20 2015, 2:57am

Post #10 of 40 (1754 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was "not my church" too! [In reply to] Can't Post

The mention of the church had never made sense, either, ha ha. Wow, I'll have to watch it again to see if I can hear it correctly. Botfa's the only one I haven't watched with captions on yet, so I'll probably pick up a bunch of lines I hadn't heard correctly before.

Also, I had the hardest time hearing Gimli's lines correctly. In FOTR, after they enter Moria he says "my cousin, Balin" but I swear I always hear "my cousin, Ballyhoo." Tongue And in TTT, when they're running after the orcs, I thought he said "waged wars natural sprinters" but it's "we dwarves." I know there's more examples, I'll have to think.

I also hadn't read the books the first time I saw FOTR so I didn't hear terms correctly, so when Gandalf tells Frodo, "He's left you Bag End," I thought he said, "He's left you baguette" and I knew hobbits liked food but it didn't really make sense to me in context, lol.

ETA: Someone once told me that the horse in FOTR says "Baggins" and "hi" and once I checked it out I can't stop laughing when I watch those scenes. It's the Ringwraith's horse when they're hiding from it beneath the tree - in the closeup shot of the horses's mouth it sounds like he says "hi." And then after they jump onto the ferry, the horse comes to a sliding stop, and then as the horse turns it sounds like he says "Baggins."

I'm a Middle-Earth Munchkin.

(This post was edited by MEM on Apr 20 2015, 3:07am)

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 7:07am

Post #11 of 40 (1677 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't mind [In reply to] Can't Post

if someone left me a baguette.
Speaking of horses speaking, I always love that part in The Two Towers when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are looking for the hobbits and meet up with Eomer and co. Gimli says, "Dead?" and the horse behind nickers as if in affirmation. It always makes me chuckle even though it is a serious moment.

And welcome to TORn, by the way!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2015, 8:03am

Post #12 of 40 (1653 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad I'm not the only one. Smile

Love your others, too. I heard the horse saying "Hi!" back in the early days, and it still makes me giggle. I hadn't noticed the one saying "Baggins", though -- I'll have to look for that!

And, echoing Starling, welcome!

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2015, 8:21am

Post #13 of 40 (1651 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

he was actually shouting advice to less-experienced actors, using some sort of actor-code-speak for how they should deliver their next lines. (Is "Hold your lines!" sort of like "I'd like ketchup, but hold the mustard!"?)

marary
Lorien

Apr 20 2015, 9:09am

Post #14 of 40 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Eomer [In reply to] Can't Post

"Do not trust to hope, it is forsake in these lands". It is forsaken in these lands? It has forsake in these lands?

The meaning doesn't change much, but the grammar nerd in me goes nuts at that line.

Also, Eomer's sword falls out of its sheath as he rides away and he doesn't stop to get it. Wink You won't unsee that now that I've told you.

I swear when the eagles carry the company away at the end of AUJ, Azog roars "Blah!". Cannot. Unhear.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 10:01am

Post #15 of 40 (1625 views)
Shortcut
But.... but...... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Eomer says "It has forsaken these lands", doesn't he? That's what he's been saying to me all these years, and my grammar nerd rests quietly content....

(This post was edited by dormouse on Apr 20 2015, 10:02am)

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 10:02am

Post #16 of 40 (1611 views)
Shortcut
The line is, "It has forsaken these lands." // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 10:03am

Post #17 of 40 (1607 views)
Shortcut
Snap! // [In reply to] Can't Post

marary
Lorien

Apr 20 2015, 10:33am

Post #18 of 40 (1604 views)
Shortcut
I want to believe [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to believe that's what he says, but I still hear an extra "in"/"en" after "forsaken".

After all this years, I still cannot handle that line.

Quit playing games with my heart, Eomer.

Wink

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2015, 11:12am

Post #19 of 40 (1589 views)
Shortcut
"Blah!" [In reply to] Can't Post

I know, right? I hear that every time too! Laugh I think it's an Orcish voiceover to keep it PG-13. Wink

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 20 2015, 11:15am

Post #20 of 40 (1592 views)
Shortcut
I think there was a lot of misinterpretation in... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there was a lot of misinterpretation in "I want to bury him" / "they want to bury him", said by Tauriel.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

shadow0421
Bree

Apr 20 2015, 2:31pm

Post #21 of 40 (1507 views)
Shortcut
There's this 70's song [In reply to] Can't Post

called "I'd really love to see you tonight" and for YEARS I thought the lyric said "I'm not talkin' about the linen" but it really goes "I'm not talkin about movin in". Laugh

http://www.amagpiesnest.com/a/torn/fotr60/01.jpg

(This post was edited by shadow0421 on Apr 20 2015, 2:32pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 20 2015, 2:40pm

Post #22 of 40 (1505 views)
Shortcut
"Give up the halfling, She-elf" [In reply to] Can't Post

What a surprise it was when I finally turned on subtitles and discovered this was what the Black Rider was saying to Arwen. I had watched the scene I don't know how many times, and without subtitles it was so unintelligible to me that I thought it was another language!

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 4:12pm

Post #23 of 40 (1464 views)
Shortcut
Bwwwwwaaaah [In reply to] Can't Post

The Moria choir while the Fellowship are racing down the stairs toward the Bridge of Khazad-dum. I cannot unhear it, as much as I've tried to!

Unfortunately your post triggered visions of a smokehouse with these humongous salamis hanging everywhere, and I will never be able to watch that scene again in the same way.LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

Or conversely, be able to slice up those hard sausages that seem to be part of every standard gift basket without hearing an epic choir.Cool

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 20 2015, 4:46pm

Post #24 of 40 (1445 views)
Shortcut
FYI, it's... [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Demon comes" in Khuzdul: "Urkhas tanakhi!"

HelmHammerHand
The Shire

Apr 20 2015, 4:58pm

Post #25 of 40 (1438 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's angry line to Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Have never been able to catch what Thorin says just before Thranduil responds 'dont speak to me of dragon fire!'

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.