Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Trilogy Weekend Alert

stormcrow20
Gondor

Apr 1 2008, 3:51am

Post #1 of 19 (812 views)
Shortcut
Trilogy Weekend Alert Can't Post

Just a ‘heads up’ for those in the U.S.

TNT is having another Trilogy showing this weekend. Their schedule is as follows.

The Fellowship of the Ring:
Friday, April 4, 8:00PM ET and Sunday, April 6, 12:30PM ET

The Two Towers:
Saturday, April 5, 8:00PM ET and Sunday, April 6, 4:15PM ET

The Return of the King:
Sunday, April 6, 8:00PM ET

Advertised as having limited commercial breaks, to boot. TNT’s website has a slideshow of decent screencaps from each film, as well. Check it out here.

~~~~~~
Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir at the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return.
'Take this ring, master,' he said, 'for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle hearts in a world that grows chill.'

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Apr 1 2008, 4:43am

Post #2 of 19 (519 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, stormcrow [In reply to] Can't Post

I love these weekend marathons. It's great having LOTR on in the background all day, and *maybe* stopping to sit down and watch it every now and then. WinkCool

(Okay.. a lot)

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2008, 12:08pm

Post #3 of 19 (545 views)
Shortcut
I can't bear it [In reply to] Can't Post

when it's on TNT... Can't wait till TCM does a Marathon of LotR Trilogy.

Thanks for the info, though, I will pass it on to my group, here locally... some of them will put it on. They have already heard my speil on Pan & Scan vs Letterbox, but can somehow bear it when whold characters get croped out or the image is attrocious.

TNT airs it in full screen... the affects:
sides get chopped off.
it gets panned & scanned
the remaining image is distorted, faded and stretched.
Characters get cut out or chopped in half...
what's going on in the whole image is lost
It not the director's vision, its a nerdy tecnician destructive hand.
The original art is lost.

It's like having the arms and legs cut off of Michaelangelo's sculpture of David or The Piata... and scratched up & disfigured as well!. Sacriledge!

Add to that, you have a gazillion commercial interruptions.

As an artist with a trained eye It makes my skin crawl. As a film lover, I die inside... and as a LotR lover, I wnt to throw a bick through the TV. I watch a second of the TNT airings and I turn it off immediately.

TCM, on the otherhand... is committed to showing films as close to their original state as possible. No pan & scan, no cropping, no stretching, not fading... and films are shows commercial free!

Links;
wide screen .org
http://widescreen.org/examples.shtml

Letterbox Vs. Pan-N-Scan
http://www.rinkworks.com/...cles/letterbox.shtml

pan & scan - wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_and_scan

Letterbox - wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letterbox

lingo:
http://www.dvdreview.com/html/lingo.shtml

Letterbox Format Explanation
http://www.firsttvdrama.com/show2/letterb.php3

Widescreen Advocate
http://www.whywidescreen.com/

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

hatster
Rohan

Apr 1 2008, 12:36pm

Post #4 of 19 (499 views)
Shortcut
hmmm when I see here [In reply to] Can't Post

I get it in upconverted widescreen HD. No stretching and only a very tiny tiny bit cut off. However the ads running in the lower right hand corner are annoying as all heck

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

lotrnewfan

Apr 1 2008, 4:07pm

Post #5 of 19 (493 views)
Shortcut
lotr trilogy [In reply to] Can't Post

is the trilogy on tnt the reg version or the extended editon?

Zmulady
Rohan

Apr 1 2008, 5:22pm

Post #6 of 19 (499 views)
Shortcut
it's usually the regular version [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the heads up. I like watching it whenever it is on. Also maybe more of my friends and family will watch it and get hooked like me.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 1 2008, 6:13pm

Post #7 of 19 (487 views)
Shortcut
This was why we ended up [In reply to] Can't Post

buying a larger TV than the one we had for years and years. We couldn't stand fullscreen either, but our TV was only 12 inches and so LotR on widescreen came out about six inches high. We're sooo happy with our new TV, that has a wider screen to begin with and can accommodate widescreen movies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Gaffer
The Shire

Apr 1 2008, 6:20pm

Post #8 of 19 (498 views)
Shortcut
Can't hardly watch television anymore... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the commercials. They get inside my head.

Seriously. Stop watching television for a few months. Feel the commercial-sponsored materialism slowly fade, leaving you oddly satisfied with, and grateful for what you already have.

I've got the extended editions on DVD. I much prefer to do my marathons commercial free.

Great!

Back only two days and already I'm spouting foolish, paranoid opinions...

Maybe I should just get it over with and start wearing aluminum foil on my head.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 1 2008, 6:39pm

Post #9 of 19 (504 views)
Shortcut
I did something that was really foolish, ADB [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can't say I regret it...

To bring me up out of a depression I did something the average woman does--went shopping, but what I purchased was typically a manstyle present to himself--a widescreen bigscreen (52 inch) TV.

I'd been wanting one practically ever since the widescreen TVs came out, and my resistance to spending that foolish amount of money was low.

So, I did it.

But man, what a picture! Mr. Patty, who had said he couldn't see any difference between standard def and hi def on our other set, said "what on earth have I been watching?" It's just like looking out of a window. My other set, the hi def we had before was 40 inches, but it was a 4x3, which meant that on widescreen things we were getting about 32-35 inch visible screen. This 52 incher has turned Mr. Patty into a hi-def lover, too. Patty-son is enjoying it too. So I don't regret it, except when the bills come. Laugh And I'm so looking forward to seeing the TNT in bigscreen high def, even if it is upconverted only.

I can't wait!

For Gondor!

(This post was edited by Patty on Apr 1 2008, 6:40pm)

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2008, 10:14pm

Post #10 of 19 (480 views)
Shortcut
Lucky you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That must work great for you widescreen formatted DVDs. But, movies that air on TV are Pa & Scanned before they ever get to your TV.

Question: Does having a widescreen TV affect those films already destroyed by some non-artist techy that doesn't get the visual aspect or need of the story-telling to include all of the image intended by the original film maker?

I am already dreaming of getting a wider-screen TV. With or without one, I suspect that will still stick to DVD's & TCM. The one I have is pretty big, but I have had for 8 years. Flat screen TVs were brand new, a novelty... too early and too expensive to get. But I have alrady started looking. I figure, sometime in the next couple of years I will get a Flat screen TV.

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Apr 1 2008, 10:24pm

Post #11 of 19 (482 views)
Shortcut
We don't watch TV anymore [In reply to] Can't Post

except for occasional news shows. We mostly watch DVDs or tapes that we own or rent. We always get widescreen when we can. For news shows, old movies, or the occasional rental that we inadvertently pick up that's not widescreen, the screen can be set to fit that format.

LotR was definitely the deciding factor in getting this.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Patty
Immortal

Apr 2 2008, 5:28pm

Post #12 of 19 (452 views)
Shortcut
For me, also... [In reply to] Can't Post

movies filmed at that very wide aspect ratio (as is LOTR) leave such small viewable screen that I wanted something very large (without being too large for the room) and unless you do some serious zooming (which spoils the resolution and definition) you get a very tiny movie. It seems most of the movies that I like are filmed at 2.35:1 so the picture is smaller on the DVD. I realize you are seeing everything the way the director intended--that's what I want, and there is no way I'd get fullscreen, but my old eyes still need a larger picture to see everything--high def or not.

For Gondor!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3 2008, 12:27am

Post #13 of 19 (451 views)
Shortcut
I love how TNT keeps these films going. So way cool! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Patty
Immortal

Apr 3 2008, 4:06pm

Post #14 of 19 (425 views)
Shortcut
Yes it is. But if they ever show... [In reply to] Can't Post

the extended versions (advertising it as, oh, maybe, "The LOTR you only THOUGHT you knew") and bringing in "fans" that, believe it or not, or actually not aware that the extendeds take the movies to a whole new level, well, then they'd have my undying gratitude. As it is, this is probably the best, long, promotion for "The Hobbit" there is.

For Gondor!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3 2008, 4:12pm

Post #15 of 19 (427 views)
Shortcut
True! [In reply to] Can't Post

It IS a great way to have a long promotion for The Hobbit AND (5 years after the last film's release) a whole new half-generation of fans being drawn in to the films AND the book... as well as those "I don't like fantasy films" people who maybe linger on the channel too long. "Hey! This is pretty good!" *SNAP!* snagged another one ;)

sample sample

Patty
Immortal

Apr 3 2008, 5:54pm

Post #16 of 19 (444 views)
Shortcut
I remember attending a wedding... [In reply to] Can't Post

2 years after the release of the extended Fellowship and TTT, and actually striking up a conversation with another woman who turned out to be a big LotR fan. She loved watching her DVDs, but did NOT know that the EEEs were packed with additional and longer scenes. She said she was going to get them and seemed excited to do so. I'm thinking there are other people out there that loved the movies but who don't hang out on the internet or who might not have been made aware of the magic of those extra scenes. So I really wish TNT would spend the day showing the extendeds. But who knows, perhaps they only bought rights to play the theatricals and it would be yet another deal to show the others. Have they EVER been shown on TV on any channel?

For Gondor!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3 2008, 6:41pm

Post #17 of 19 (441 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I don't think anyone but TNT has shown anything remotely LotR (having the exclusive rights, I suppose). We'll have to start a little-bitty campaign to let them know there's an interest. PLUS, they'd be smart to play these longer films on Holiday weeks/weekends when they have a lot of their staff gone and won't need so much coverage/personnel.

sample sample

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Apr 4 2008, 1:54pm

Post #18 of 19 (444 views)
Shortcut
same here [In reply to] Can't Post

I moved in Jan 2005 and somehow never got around to hooking up the TV. I did
mean to, so please don't think I'm trying to be snobbish, but I really didn't miss it.
I do have rabbit ears in case of local fire, flood, or hurricane.

And occasionally when there's news of importance (e.g. US presidential campaign)
I track the relevant clip down on the internet. Go YouTube!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Patty
Immortal

Apr 5 2008, 4:07am

Post #19 of 19 (442 views)
Shortcut
Just watched this... [In reply to] Can't Post

and was underwhelmed with the picture quality. The screen was full (widescreen) and resolution was only occasionally good--and we all know this movie was filmed 2.35:1, so there should have been bars. When, oh when is this coming to hi def DVD?Crazy

For Gondor!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.