Delivered a performance for the AGES

What SAY you?

VERY interested?.. for any comments on Balin

{A Bilbo, in Dwarf-Form?}

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 20 2015, 4:23am)

shadowdog
Rohan

Apr 20 2015, 5:07pm

Post #2 of 10 (685 views)
Shortcut
I was very impressed [In reply to] Can't Post

with Stott's portrayal of Balin. He brought him to life in an amazing way. In LoTRs he is just the dwarf who died in Moria. In the Hobbit book, he does not have the depth of character and courage that he has in the film. He stood for Bilbo throughout the films and became a close friend which made his death far more tragic when we find out about it later.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Apr 20 2015, 6:41pm

Post #3 of 10 (661 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Ken Stott was a brilliant Balin - [In reply to] Can't Post

he was very believable, and it was easy to be fond of him.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Apr 21 2015, 12:57am

Post #4 of 10 (614 views)
Shortcut
Balin is a great character [In reply to] Can't Post

It was great to get more development of his relationship with Thorin in the movie. Balin's "There is one I could follow", and how Thorin looks to him for advice outside the hidden door in DOS help show their king/advisor relationship. Oh, and the "Then we're with you" conversation in AUJ. I could keep going!

And Balin's reaction when Thorin is (1) injured at the end of AUJ and (2) dead at the end of BOFA, as other people have mentioned before on the forum, it gives more of an explanation of why Balin (who was second oldest on the quest remember) decides 60 years later to go on another quest. And yes, much more sad to see his tomb in FOTR. Frown

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 21 2015, 1:41am

Post #5 of 10 (603 views)
Shortcut
Do you Think He may Mention... Moria?// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Apr 21 2015, 1:52am

Post #6 of 10 (604 views)
Shortcut
hmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean in the EE? Anything is possible I suppose. Though from the books I got the impression that he didn't think about it until much later. After he visits Bilbo in the Shire at least! Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 21 2015, 2:18am

Post #7 of 10 (600 views)
Shortcut
We got Fore-Shadowing from Trandy, SSOoo.. [In reply to] Can't Post

WHY not Balin?.

He could say something like "We've Killed most of the
Moria ORCS.. maybe we should go Back soon.."

www.charlie-art.biz

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Apr 21 2015, 2:33am

Post #8 of 10 (593 views)
Shortcut
tehe! [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe we should go Back soon..

It's possible for sure. Anything extra with Balin is okay by me Smile

marary
Lorien

Apr 21 2015, 7:08am

Post #9 of 10 (570 views)
Shortcut
I love Balin! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought it was interesting how they made him the more reluctant dwarf on the quest, considering he leads a company much later to reclaim Moria! What changed? I don't find it totally inconsistent, but rather, a hint at an interesting character development.

If they ever do a bridge movie, I for one would be thrilled for it to be about the Quest for Moria! (It would have to be a sad movie.)

My favorite Balin scene is when he negotiates with Bard. And when he greets his brother in Bag End. And when he tells Fili, Kili and Bilbo the story of Azanulbizar. And when he tells Thorin "you don't have to do this"...

Okay, I actually just love every Balin scene.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Apr 22 2015, 1:16am

Post #10 of 10 (474 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, I actually just love every Balin scene.

I can't stand Balin crying though, in BOFA when he's in the library (is it a library? there's scrolls on shelves), that scene gets me every time. And the very end when Bilbo is saying good bye. Balin just needs a hug at the end of BOFA imo, poor guy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.