Peter and co work on the Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Apr 18 2015, 6:49pm

Post #1 of 32 (2588 views)
Shortcut
Peter and co work on the Extended Edition Can't Post

I'm wondering if Peter has nearly finished work on the extended edition. During a panel after the film was released back in December, Peter said that when the near year starts it will take him 4/5 months to work on it. So really they should be finished in a month?

Not all those who wander are Lost

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 18 2015, 8:17pm

Post #2 of 32 (2436 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if we'll get an extended scene in a month or two, or whenever they complete it?

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 18 2015, 8:35pm

Post #3 of 32 (2413 views)
Shortcut
I doubt he has had much time to be working on it [In reply to] Can't Post

He has been working on WW1 commemoration exhibitions for the last three months.

Have a look here and here.

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Apr 18 2015, 8:37pm

Post #4 of 32 (2408 views)
Shortcut
So what does that mean [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that mean he is not really overseeing the work on the extended edition as much, or have they not even started work on it yet?

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 18 2015, 8:50pm

Post #5 of 32 (2398 views)
Shortcut
It just means [In reply to] Can't Post

that he has been very busy working on the WW1 exhibits. I have no idea how he is dividing up his time, or what other people are doing.

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Apr 18 2015, 9:01pm

Post #6 of 32 (2384 views)
Shortcut
I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's more of a rhetorical question, I'm only curious because of what he said at the panel. But then again things change I suppose.

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 18 2015, 9:05pm

Post #7 of 32 (2384 views)
Shortcut
Joe Letteri of WETA said in an interview... [In reply to] Can't Post

Months ago, that they were working on the chariot scene for the EE, so I wouldn't be too cynical. Though there's probably a lot more CG in this EE than the DoS one...

Dcole4
Rohan

Apr 18 2015, 9:15pm

Post #8 of 32 (2372 views)
Shortcut
Can't confirm... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I have heard from someone who has sources in the production that WETA digital completed their work a couple weeks ago on the project. Not sure how accurate it is, but given the expectations, it seems about right.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Apr 18 2015, 9:27pm

Post #9 of 32 (2348 views)
Shortcut
I don't care about waiting [In reply to] Can't Post

I do care about having an EE with a few of the famous intimate moments between Dwarves, not an EE with more CGI, eye-candy, Alfrid or flying Elves.
I don't want to sound sulky, but I would like just the things Pj has always excelled at.
If we want pure action there's the Marvel franchise (which I like, but just saying).

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Apr 18 2015, 9:35pm

Post #10 of 32 (2334 views)
Shortcut
Oh I totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

From the immediate release of BOTFA, the one scene I want to see in the EE more than anything else is the funeral scene.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 12:08am

Post #11 of 32 (2238 views)
Shortcut
Highs and lows [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to feel kind of amused and warm and fuzzy when I recalled the "pre-DOS summer" - at least for me because my favorite Thorin aside, I just loved the whole Company and the dwarf aesthetic, right down to the little angled patterns on Fili's coat.

Can you miss movie characters like real people? Cool I MISSED the whole crew. And the sputtering outrage from some quarters over the first elf-crammed DOS trailer - then elf PR (if anything about DOS). A horrible DRY "newsless" summerShocked, and then the floodgates of trailers and fan events and banners and DWARVESHeart. Not enough BeornFrown, but IMO thought the dwarves were well set up for all kinds of interesting interactions with Bilbo, with Thorin, with each other. I really thought Fili would be a huge lead of some kind, (even some sort of reaction shot as the weight of a kingdom comes down on his shoulders, assuming for a time that Fili thought Thorin had been killed.)

I don't feel amused any moreUnimpressed. I'm happy my favorite shone in BOFA IMO, but even then exquisite scenes like the mithril shirt scene seem to be SO tightly edited. Thorin gets a huge and expected end battle, but even he gets a few blips in the main battle, and a few of the dwarves get flickers of screen timeFrown. Many, if not all, want this funeral scene which only mildly interests me, if that. It's not something I need. But assume we will get that. But is that going to be it, when "each and every dwarf was supposed to have their moment?"Unsure

I can't say what PJ may or may not be doing - seems to me he could work at his leisure at BOFA, more or less, as the footage is already shot. But whatever PJ is doing, I hope he looks past the statement he made that was something like "I am making these movies the way I want to." I don't see that as arrogant or anything, no director really could function otherwise.

Nevertheless, I hope the petitions for the dwarves, the memes, the online mutterings have reached his earsFrown. Because I winced when PJ & Phillipa said something to the effect of if they could do another film? with any of the characters, it would be Tauriel.
Not the dwarves. Not Thranduil. Not Bilbo. Not Beorn. Not once has there been a hint that PJ wanted to do more with the dwarves - he talks about the EE re stories that "need to be told" but for me, I'm afraid of what PJ thinks is important at this point.Unimpressed

Even if IMO it hasn't been exactly COMPELLING stuff in some of BOFA (like the kids getting more time screaming than a lot of the dwarves had linesUnsure). What drives me crazy is that some of these choices in BOFA have not gotten a resounding reception (as far as I can tell in generalUnsure), any more than the original inclusion of Tauriel and Legolas did in DOS (where the overall response seemed to be muted). E.g., I would think at that point it would be time for PJ & co. to check TORn, FB - get some idea of what worked and what didn't. Because it is the last time, in theory.Frown

PJ, Fran, and Philippa may not see it, as they seemed to be so "narrative driven" and hammering away at the LOTR connection this past yearUnimpressed. But for me, this past year was kind of sad re the whole experience - one dwarf at SDCC, missing dwarves at the world premier, a film so tightly edited as one critic commented "it seemed like Peter Jackson couldn't wait to be finished with the whole thing" (that thought has crossed my mind, too), occasional re-hash PR images, IMO a fine cast sidelined, and occasional outright cheesiness IMO (this from people who can write such beautiful lines.).

Apologies for the negativity, there's a lot I love about BOFA and a jaw-dropping richness to many scenes. I'm just afraid re the EE, and then that will be that. Unless one day there IS some sort of mega director cut.Unsure

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 12:41am

Post #12 of 32 (2214 views)
Shortcut
Simple Answer...Look @ AUJ disk [In reply to] Can't Post

Appendices PART 8

"The Company of Thorin"
there you will find you Answers,
from PJ, Phillipa & Jed..ETC...

GO on, Watch it again...

{Much has be forgotten in the Last 2 years...}

bomby
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2015, 2:48am

Post #13 of 32 (2160 views)
Shortcut
dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ definitely has a soft spot for the dwarves and has said that creating those 13 characters ending up being one of the joys of making the films. But it's really frustrating when other more "important" things seemed to have gotten in the way after AUJ. I'm really crossing my fingers for a more dwarf-centric BotFA this fall.

Graham McTavish said that PJ wasn't completely happy with how the theatrical cut turned out this time around, so hopefully that means that he's fully aware of some of the problems. Some people have said that Graham only said that because it's what the fans wanted to hear, but I have a feeling that there's some real truth behind it. And it's interesting that it was someone other than PJ that said it, and it was after the movies (not including the EE) were finished. So it could have been one of those situations where it's easier for someone else to say it for him and also safer for it to be said after the films are released.

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Apr 19 2015, 6:35am

Post #14 of 32 (2089 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

Out of curiosity, when/where did McTavish say that?

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2015, 6:57am

Post #15 of 32 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Hobbitcon [In reply to] Can't Post

He apparently said it a couple weeks ago at Hobbitcon.

marary
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 7:06am

Post #16 of 32 (2065 views)
Shortcut
My hope [In reply to] Can't Post

That PJ rewatched the theatrical and said, "you know what the EE really needs? 30 minutes of Dwalin kicking butt and taking names." That would be amazing!

I'm mostly joking. Mostly.

Anyone else really hoping for more Dwalin?

I think McTavish also said something about seeing more of him on Ravenhill.

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 19 2015, 7:59am

Post #17 of 32 (2025 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

It could never been too much Dwalin! And bringing him up to Ravenhill just to vanish is just bad writing and editing. Ravenhill isn't even that big so he could go vanishing that... abruptly? Right? Ugh. Curse those scenes!

In general it just needs a whole lot more of the dwarves I love and a whole lot less elves (minus Thranduil. He's supposed to be there!). More Dain too. And Beorn. 9 seconds of screentime is so laughable I can't believe they finished the movie thinking this was going to work.

marary
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 8:04am

Post #18 of 32 (2026 views)
Shortcut
And where was Beorn's parachute for that 9-second eagle skydiving scene? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they'll edit it back in for the EE. Wink

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 9:40am

Post #19 of 32 (1974 views)
Shortcut
You do know that Warner Bros. [In reply to] Can't Post

Places time limits on he films? PJ probably had to tightly edit some scenes to make them in the movie at all!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 12:28pm

Post #20 of 32 (1923 views)
Shortcut
"If only they'd asked TORN .... well the bits of TORN that agree with me....well,ok,me" [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst not absolutely impossible, the idea that the views of a couple of people here would have been a better guide to creating an even more popular set of films is incredibly improbable.
Indeed, we can already see numerous examples of the views of TORN posters being completely at odds with the views of the wider audience.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 12:53pm

Post #21 of 32 (1901 views)
Shortcut
About... "Dwarves Not @ ComicCon" [In reply to] Can't Post

When an actor is on a REALLY Long shoot...
Other Events/Films WAIT?

PJ explained he was CUTTING, {& Apologized}
others needed to be in Wellington for WHAT-Ever.?

About 2 weeks ago in Germany,
"HobbitCon 3" had 10...Dwarves...

The only 3 who could NOT be there
were on Location doing
something "Under Contract"...

HUGE commitments that have come
SINCE their
Awesome
Appearance in TH.

Bomby is personally happy that Adam Brown could leave Australia
where he is shooting "Pirates of the Caribbean 4" & could fly
to Germany to meet with his Mates.

Thorin, Kili, & Fili all were on different parts of the world.
{ "Isn't DEAN in NEPAL, now?}

It isn't some SNUB of the Fans?
Some are getting Much bigger Roles right Now
since "When you are Hot,
GO for as much as an Actor
as you can".

IT's all good...
bomby

Heart

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 19 2015, 1:11pm

Post #22 of 32 (1877 views)
Shortcut
Funny [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin, Kili, & Fili all were on different parts of the world.

The three dwarf´s that are no´t ther are the dwarf´s that die in the film.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 2:36pm

Post #23 of 32 (1829 views)
Shortcut
Besides running time edits, I wonder if the CGI work was finished [In reply to] Can't Post

on the Chariot scene and simply was not ready for inclusion in the TE and pushed off to the EE. Or,it is possible that it was always planned as an EE scene....along with many others.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 19 2015, 2:37pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 4:08pm

Post #24 of 32 (1774 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

Whilst not absolutely impossible, the idea that the views of a couple of people here would have been a better guide to creating an even more popular set of films is incredibly improbable.

If the focus of discussion is BOFA - even with DOS to me it seems laughable now - one of the major issues discussed on TORn was the "too tight editing in places" and the inclusion of Tauriel at all was discussed and blogged on the 'net round the world (positively and negatively). It's not just a few people on TORn. And extremely "loose" online polls seemed to indicate that folks wanted Smaug, Beorn, Sauron as primary NEW characters of interest at the time.

Tho your use of the word "popular" is interesting IMO - tho don't think we will ever really know why re BOFA, certain decisions were made. It's possible if Tauriel and Legolas had been sidelined by narrative and there had been a lot more dwarf screen time, a lot more Beorn, the films MIGHT have been less successful in theaters - but how will we ever know?Unsure

And re BOFA there are writers online from 'round the world that seemed happy to see Tauriel. Or Legolas. But there were also pointed memes, comments from all over re the "dwarf-lack" (I like to hit some of the S. American and sometimes European sites, just in case some interesting imagery shows up - which it does, now and again...). And some furious reviews from fans re BOFA I can't even link to, re the language.

Since there seems to be no way to quantify BOFA success or failure re screen presence, in general, for me - if there had been an explosion of Tauriel dolls and so on being churned out the way stuff is for kids re "Frozen", and the Kili/Tauriel "thing" was talked up the way the romance in the Titanic was, if the Legolas/Bolg fight was blogged as "epic" and mind-blowing vs. occasional snark, if critic after critic and fan after fan was commenting on the smart choices PJ made by altering canon and talking about the amazing "elf" performances, well, OK.Unsure

But that's not what happened, even tho BOFA is a theater success. As far as I can tell IN GENERAL the biggest praise goes to Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage, and the handling of the battle re keeping it understandable w. that many players. So if there are many mixed opinions overall, why not - if you are a filmmaker - check out a few FB pages and just think about adjusting your approach re an EE - which in theory is "for the fans" - e.g., PJ stating himself "that many fans consider the EEs to be definitive."

That's all I'm saying, is that in light of the fact that PJ and Philippa seem to be enamored of their "created elf" and having LOTS of Legolas, that re interviews while they seemed to be happy, I find it baffling that they don't seem to consider (POSSIBLY) whether that much time spent on the pair in BOFA (or Alfrid, for that matter, at this point) actually WORKSUnsure - e.g., was the approach in BOFA a resounding success in BOFA, or not? Was sidelining characters that the audience already knew - and many considered as "belonging" to the story - a good strategy? And if the response wasn't what you were hoping for, why not change it up some for the EE?Unsure

Because who buys EEs? I'm guessing it's those most interested, not the more "general" fan who has already bought the TE "to complete the set" and thinks of EEs as just a way for studios to make more money. (And tho it most likely wouldn't matter to PJ, it just plain bothers me re the AUJ "dwarf hype", the careful trickle of AUJ dwarf images, "finding their way into the story through the dwarves", all the mad secrecy about Beorn - and then I get elves, in the end. Which I had seen plenty of in LOTR. And even then my favorite elf kind of vanishes for a while....UnimpressedFrown)

Oh, well - time to remember the good stuff and remind myself that these movies might never have happened at all, and I wouldn't even care if there hadn't been so much good stuff to care about.Cool

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 4:26pm

Post #25 of 32 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for this [In reply to] Can't Post

Graham McTavish said that PJ wasn't completely happy with how the theatrical cut turned out this time around, so hopefully that means that he's fully aware of some of the problems. Some people have said that Graham only said that because it's what the fans wanted to hear, but I have a feeling that there's some real truth behind it.

I can believe this. For one thing, GM doesn't seem like the kind of person who would make stuff up to pander to the fans - ALL of the dwarves and cast as far as I can tell have been discreet (not saying they should be otherwise, either *cough* Viggo *cough*.)

And PJ said at the London premiere he hadn't even seen the final film, that he wanted to experience it as a fan. Plus, tho I never fuss over whether PJ looks tired and all that - well, that NZ interview I winced for him, it was like he could hardly stay awake or focus. ANYONE driving themselves week after week on any kind of job, plus having to do PR stuff - I wonder if PJ at times "even knew what day it was".Unsure

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.