The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Some interesting parallels between Eowyn/Eomer and Kili/Fili

marary
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 8:21am

Post #1 of 6 (828 views)
Shortcut
Some interesting parallels between Eowyn/Eomer and Kili/Fili Can't Post

Did anyone else notice some uncanny parallels between the sibling sets of each trilogy? Let's go through them.

1) Eomer and Fili, the older siblings, both have a shaggy blond lion look going on. :)

2) Eomer and Fili are both very protective older siblings.

3) Both sets of siblings are heirs to their respective kingdoms, but not directly. Eowyn and Eomer are Theoden's neice/nephew by his sister. Same with Fili and Kili. (Tolkien trope alert! He had a thing about sister-sons.)

4) Eowyn and Kili both charge into battle against the wishes of their king/uncle. Eowyn by dressing up as a man and joining the charge, and Kili defying his uncle's order's to stay out of sight following Fili's death.

5) Theoden/Thorin appear to have a more tender/closer relationship with Eowyn/Kili.

6) Theoden/Thorin each have a loving-headbutt scene with Eowyn/Kili.

7) Eomer and Fili both got totally shafted in terms of character development in the theatrical editions. (Eomer gets a few more good moments in the EE, here's hoping Fili gets the same for BOFA EE.) Eowyn and Kili on the other hand, get a lot of development.

8) Both sets of siblings have to deal with their uncle/king becoming corrupted, but rally to his side once he is redeemed.

9) Eowyn and Kili both challenge their respective uncle's inactions while in a state of madness/corruption. ("Will you not go to him?")

10) Eowyn and Kili are both involved in a love triangle. What's more, they are in comparable corners of their respective love triangles.

11) In the EE, Eomer is hovering over Eowyn as Aragorn heals her. In DOS, Fili is hovering over Kili as Tauriel heals him.

Any more you noticed?

Or do you just want to geek out about how awesome the siblings of ME area? (Including Boromir/Faramir!)

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 19 2015, 8:24am)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 10:16am

Post #2 of 6 (763 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with that, and I have also written a post in my blog about it.
It's worth mentioning that the tragic ending belongs to the children's book: in the much darker material of LOTR, Eomer's storyline has a more positive outcome- even if Théoden actual heir had been killed before.
He could not have been possibly been deprived of two heirs..
Wait wait... does it sound familiar??CrazyCrazyCrazy
OMG

marary
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 10:24am

Post #3 of 6 (756 views)
Shortcut
I always thought that! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit was a bit darker in that the young heirs actually die--though it doesn't hit so hard in the book as the characters are much less developed. LOTR is a darker reading experience, but it's mostly the old people who die. Their heirs are all pretty much alive and okay by the end (despite Denethor's best efforts, lol, and thank you Pippin).

Theoden lost only one heir, but two survived. Yippeee! Maybe Eomer and Eowyn's happy outcome was a bit of an apology for killing off Fili and Kili. Smile

And a few more fun ones:

1) In the book, both sets of siblings are blond! (Kili went brunette for the films.)

2) Kili's analogue, Eowyn, is female, though he is not. However, Kili may be considered a bit feminine in his lack of a full beard. :P

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 19 2015, 10:36am)

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 11:25pm

Post #4 of 6 (595 views)
Shortcut
Nice obervations, marary [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to add
12) Eomer/Eowyn and Fili/Kili are extraordinarily good-looking. AngelicWink

As for Tolkien sibling geeking, I wish we had more development of Elrohir/Elladan either with each other or with Arwen. Evil (Or as far as the movies are concerned, any development at all! Wink) And what fun it would be to watch young Boromir and Faramir growing up together. I love those few moments we get in the EE of Boromir hugging his little bro.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2015, 8:44am

Post #5 of 6 (554 views)
Shortcut
Great observations! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fun to think about these. I suspect Tolkien was tapping into an older motif, but I'll leave the supporting or refuting of that suspicion to someone better versed in medieval (and older) literature than me. I do wonder, though, if PJ deliberately chose to make the non-canon parallels (e.g., shaggy blond hair, exorcisms), or if those were just a coincidence?

marary
Lorien

Apr 20 2015, 9:02am

Post #6 of 6 (552 views)
Shortcut
Some parallels are Tolkien canon [In reply to] Can't Post

But a few are solely in the Jackson-verse.

Blond hair and the corrupted uncle/king are both straight from Tolkien.

Also, all four characters have a special-character vowel in the first syllable of their name! Making it irritating for people who haven't figured out how to do special characters on a keyboard! Tongue

A lot of the relationship stuff for Fili and Kili is purely reasonable extrapolations made by Jackson's team. Though to be honest, I think Eomer and Eowyn have a pretty different relationship than Fili and Kili. Fili and Kili are total brothers-in-arms and work as equals in a lot of respects. They back each other up verbally and in combat. Interestingly, Eomer is actually one of Eowyn's biggest doubters (a bit in the TE, and a lot in the EE), though it does come from a protective-big-brotherly place. A lot of this boils down to gender issues.

Now I'm sad because we never got a scene of Eowyn and Eomer fighting together.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.