Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Another week ...time to ask: What have you been watching lately?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 18 2015, 10:23pm

Post #51 of 104 (837 views)
Shortcut
Why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?! // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

squire
Half-elven

Apr 18 2015, 10:51pm

Post #52 of 104 (836 views)
Shortcut
You keep using that word... // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 18 2015, 11:02pm

Post #53 of 104 (835 views)
Shortcut
I'm not a witch, I'm your wife! // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 1:18am

Post #54 of 104 (834 views)
Shortcut
I feel *exactly* the same about the commitment of watching something [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I find TV series too much of a commitment to follow.

Not sure if tis the same for you, but I have to budget my head and heart space I think. I don't watch things 'casually'. If they speak to me I mull and reflect on them quite a lot. So I don't watch tons of stuff; one reason I am enjoying having these discussions on TORn is that I trust the folks here to single out good stuff.

But I didn't expect it from a Netflix exclusive. TV's getting really good.
We're in an exciting time, where we have a consistent Marvel universe on film and TV, a new Star Wars movie, a Batman v Superman movie and The Hobbit EE still to come. The younger me wouldn't believe how lucky we are today!

Maybe with TV the movement of quality shows is market-driven with so many channels and networks - I do find the options to be more of an expanse and there really are outstanding things to watch. That clip for example that you linked to looks like a feature film of great quality. And fantasy-type shows in general seem to be getting some more respect than maybe they used to, except on the fringes.
And we have all number of good things coming! I too feel unexpectedly buoyed by what we have coming. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 1:22am

Post #55 of 104 (831 views)
Shortcut
All right: confession. My first thought was what the HECK is bikejoring????? [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not know that was actually A Thing.

Very nice filming! Did you wear/secure the cam or hold it? BTW: I love the ever useful Pool Noodle. I use 'em everywhere in the garden. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 1:25am

Post #56 of 104 (825 views)
Shortcut
Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 1:30am

Post #57 of 104 (827 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:
So I don't watch tons of stuff; one reason I am enjoying having these discussions on TORn is that I trust the folks here to single out good stuff.

If it weren't for these threads, you wouldn't know about quality viewing such as The Bachelor NZ. You're welcome. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 1:36am

Post #58 of 104 (821 views)
Shortcut
Quite right. How else would I know about flatulence as a flirting device? // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If it weren't for these threads, you wouldn't know about quality viewing such as The Bachelor NZ. You're welcome. Laugh

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 1:36am

Post #59 of 104 (818 views)
Shortcut
Inigo - You seem a decent fellow, I'd hate to kill you. - Man in Black - You seem a decent fellow, I'd hate to die.// [In reply to] Can't Post

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 1:42am

Post #60 of 104 (820 views)
Shortcut
I mean, if we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, why didn't you list that among our assets in the first place?

Samwise'sPackPony

Apr 19 2015, 2:14am

Post #61 of 104 (813 views)
Shortcut
Have fun stormin' da castle! - Miracle Max [In reply to] Can't Post

I apologize for any typos. It is hard to type with hooves.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 2:54am

Post #62 of 104 (814 views)
Shortcut
Geez... [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked

That was one heck of an hour, wasn't it?! Wink

Phenomenal episode. Just...wow. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Annael
Immortal

Apr 19 2015, 4:38am

Post #63 of 104 (800 views)
Shortcut
I don't even exercise. // [In reply to] Can't Post

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 5:16am

Post #64 of 104 (793 views)
Shortcut
Rest well and dream of large women. // [In reply to] Can't Post

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 5:24am

Post #65 of 104 (796 views)
Shortcut
New episodes are posted [In reply to] Can't Post

on Tuesday starting at midnight Pacific Time. I'm a night owl and usually still awake at 2:00 am Central, so I've been catching it soon after it goes up. I would save up and binge watch, but 2:00 is a good quiet time to watch. Smile

(This post was edited by zarabia on Apr 19 2015, 5:25am)

Patty
Immortal

Apr 19 2015, 5:50am

Post #66 of 104 (792 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, a lot of fans are saying it's their favorite so far. No spoilers.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine too, with 107 a close second.

Those two zany gals on The Anglophile Channel say it's their favorite, too. Check out their recap of the episode on YouTube.

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Apr 19 2015, 5:52am)

Kim
Valinor

Apr 19 2015, 6:15am

Post #67 of 104 (785 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got some binge watching to do!

P.S. 2am is for sleeping ShockedTongue

"The earth laughs in flowers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Kim
Valinor

Apr 19 2015, 6:19am

Post #68 of 104 (782 views)
Shortcut
He's only mostly dead. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2015, 4:25pm

Post #69 of 104 (775 views)
Shortcut
Child 44 [In reply to] Can't Post

I thoroughly enjoyed this murder mystery set in Russia in the 1950's. I went mostly because Gary Oldman was in it, one of my favorite actors. It stars Tom Hardy in the title role of a man of rank in the military who goes against the motto of the regime that "there is no murder in paradise". He is after a serial child-killer. Oldman plays a General who eventually takes his side.

I know this movie has gotten lukewarm reviews, but that is why I don't bother reading any reviews until after I've seen a movie myself. I don't think it's a great film, but a very competent one that is character driven, suspenseful and well-acted. Some have said they either had a hard time understanding the Russian accents or that the story was too complicated or that it was too long. For myself, I found none of those things to be true. And I think Tom Hardy, who I've felt fairly neutral about in his past films, does a really good job in this one. It goes without saying that Oldman is good. When is he not?

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 5:35pm

Post #70 of 104 (765 views)
Shortcut
bike joring 101 and 102 [In reply to] Can't Post

at the end of the videos the crawl reads that I rode with one hand while being hauled down the trail by one (101) or two (102) maniacal Siberians while holding the camera in one hand...

please buy me a Go-Pro...

I also made a strap (wire with a bit of tiny hose over it) across teh top of the camera so I can hold it in my teeth (it was kind of hard to paddle a kayak and film)...

To be fair, my dogs aren't crazy racing dogs, and eventually slow to a trot... still

go-pro, it'd be nice

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 19 2015, 5:35pm

Post #71 of 104 (765 views)
Shortcut
She kissed me! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Apr 19 2015, 5:51pm

Post #72 of 104 (765 views)
Shortcut
Just finished the first half of the season [In reply to] Can't Post

Very enjoyable - I think you'll like these Brethil, even without having read the book.

And can I just say - I loved seeing little Roger! A fun little tidbit for the book readers. Smile

Now I just have to wait for the second half to become available for those of us without Starz. Crazy Trying to decide if I want to continue to avoid show spoilers & recaps until I can see it, even though I know the story.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 7:02pm

Post #73 of 104 (756 views)
Shortcut
Collected thoughts on "The Devil's Mark" (SPOILERS)... [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't say much about the episode last night, because my head was left spinning by all the events in the episode. But I think I'm in a better position to comment on it now.

First off, let me just say that this was NOT the episode that I thought it would be. Not AT ALL. Shocked Going into the hour, I expected that I knew how thing would unfold. I expected the trial, of course, and some kind of rescue (at least for Claire). But the episode turned into so much more - to the point that I can't believe that it was all contained in a single hour.

I don't even know where to begin with Geillis' revelation of being from 1968. OMG. I started to get the hairs lifting up on the back of my neck when she started saying things like "...you're not here to change anything?", etc. And then when she dropped her hilarious line "I guess I'm going to a *expletive* barbeque!" my mouth dropped open. Then as she revealed the year to Claire, followed my Claire's own realization later on, it just floored me.

This show is cruelty most foul. Just as we learn so much about this character, and find ourselves with more questions, we are deprived of her. I want to know so much about her history, and what she was doing in the past, and how she (apparently) traveled back in time on purpose.

...and just holy crap! She was from 1968. That's practically a modern woman, comparatively speaking.

If the episode had ended there, it would have been impressive enough.

But, then this leads directly into Jamie's questioning of Claire and her unloading the entire truth on him. My hat goes off to Sam Heughan in this scene, because it's not easy thing to convince us, the audience, that Jamie could plausibly believe Claire's story. And, objectively, I think part of me might still have a hard time swallowing it. But so effective is his performance, and so convincing is the love between these two characters and his utter and complete faith in her - that it just works.

Now if I have one teeny, tiny complaint about the episode (and it is teeny, tiny), it's that I wish we had been able to take more time between this scene and the arrival at the Standing Stones. The journey seems to happen very fast, and I would have liked a bit more time to see Jamie absorbing Claire's tale. But, as it is, the emotions are wonderfully conveyed, and the episode does not seem to suffer for it's brevity here. But, quite honestly, I would not have minded an entire episode devoted to this section of the story (though, it is understandable that things need to pushed along).

The scenes at Craigh na Dun destroyed me. Unsure As soon as Jamie said "Are you ready to go home?", I knew exactly where they were. And god bless Bear McCreary - he brings his theme for the stones back in, recalling the climactic scene of "Both Sides Now", when Claire and Frank are racing to each other.

It's my understanding that book readers don't think much of dear old Frank, but allow me to say, as a show-only viewer, that the writers and actor Tobias Menzies have done a remarkable job of creating a character that the viewers care about immensely. So much of the power of this series (particularly the first half of the season) was the truly conflicting nature of the love story. Claire and Frank's love was not something that was just there to fill the time until she traveled back in time to meet Jamie. It was just as compelling as what she would soon find with her next husband.

These final scenes represent both heartbreak and catharsis. Claire lets Frank and her former life go, and fully embraces Jamie and the life that she has found in the past. The full range of emotions that this elicits in the viewer (or this one, at least) is what makes this show so unique. It's often a cliche that guys don't go in much for romance, love stories, etc. But I've long known that I'm a hopeless romantic, and when genuine love is depicted as splendidly on screen as it has been on Outlander, I have little choice but to surrender myself fully to it.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 8:30pm

Post #74 of 104 (755 views)
Shortcut
More Star Wars news: Rogue One: another film, not in sequence, to be produced (?) [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I read today:

'Rogue One' plot, on The Verge site

My. An overabundance of SW news lately!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 8:56pm

Post #75 of 104 (754 views)
Shortcut
This makes me a lot more excited than I once thought... [In reply to] Can't Post

Coming off of the prequels, I just felt like I wanted Star Wars to quietly go away and preserve the legacy of the original trilogy, but I now feel like we're entering a new "rejuvenated" age of SW movies. If the spin-off films follow the model set forth by JJ (as it appears) in terms of practical effects, sets, realism, etc., then I think this will be a very exciting time to be a Star Wars fan.

Of course, Episode 7 could turn out to be terrible and then things could go horribly, horribly wrong. Tongue

...but, at the moment, I don't think that will happen. Smile

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Apr 19 2015, 8:58pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.