Peter and co work on the Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 5:35pm

Post #26 of 32 (657 views)
Shortcut
We can't know for sure. [In reply to] Can't Post

But since the films performed in the top 1% of films in each year of release then, if it were my money, I wouldn't be going with the view of some random on the net vs the team which seem to have consistently attracted 100 million or so folks a time.

If the team had heeded your views might they have been more popular? As you say, we just can't know for sure. It would certainly be beginners luck to hit on something that more than 100 M folks liked though, I would think.

Fortunately the "furious reviewers", meme makers and such need not trouble us overmuch in seeking to map their views. They are utterly insignificant in number (whatever their views) when compared to the overall viewing audience. They don't reveal anything about broader tastes.

The thing to beware of is confirmation bias. As soon as you start talking about "canon" you can be quite happy that you have slipped into this. The general audience, the vast, vast majority of people who paid to see the films couldn't give a stuff about "canon". Upon that we can rely!

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 6:18pm

Post #27 of 32 (635 views)
Shortcut
Nah, they replaced most of it... [In reply to] Can't Post

With the Rams picking them straight up from Erebor, rather the chariot clearing the path for Thorin.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 6:22pm

Post #28 of 32 (633 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, but why include it in the trailer? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 6:30pm

Post #29 of 32 (623 views)
Shortcut
What I meant was that they removed it from the TE... [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably due to time constraints, and will put it back for the EE. That one is definitely confirmed. But at the time of the first trailer, it was going to be in the film.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2015, 9:47pm

Post #30 of 32 (575 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Cutting Beorn down to 10 seconds sounds like it might have been a last minute decision too. Because some fans who saw the early screening said there was more Beorn fighting (prevized).

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 3:05pm

Post #31 of 32 (475 views)
Shortcut
*Laughs* [In reply to] Can't Post

But since the films performed in the top 1% of films in each year of release then, if it were my money, I wouldn't be going with the view of some random on the net vs the team which seem to have consistently attracted 100 million or so folks a time.

LOL point takenCoolCoolCoolCoolCool. Especially in what the last few years has been described as a "moribund" film industry with BOFA being described as a film that helped "save" the year financially.

Re your post, that's the thing (I know *sigh*) if I were making films and raking in those kinds of numbers (box office) I'd figure I was doing something right. Also the Hobbit movies made their profits, and while the EE is more gravy, I guess if it was a complete failure re sales (which it won't be) WB would just shrug and use it for a write-off.

The thing to beware of is confirmation bias. As soon as you start talking about "canon" you can be quite happy that you have slipped into this. The general audience, the vast, vast majority of people who paid to see the films couldn't give a stuff about "canon". Upon that we can rely!

To be fair, I am no "canonista" either. Tho I do believe that films CAN encourage a desire to read the original material - in my case it was only after seeing the first Harry Potter I thought I'd check out the first book, for instance.
But re some TORn discussions and additional reading, I had formed the opinion that as unhappy as some things may make me, they were INVIOLATE. But then they weren't.Unimpressed

As you say tho, I imagine the majority of the audience globally hasn't read the material, and the sites I mention are all Hobbit/LOTR related - not "general" movie sites. So those are going to have skewed opinions.

Like everyone, I will just have to wait and see what PJ doesShockedShocked. Just gets on my mind from watching DOS and BOFA back-to-back - or watching the AUJ Appendices with all the dwarvesUnsure.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Apr 20 2015, 3:05pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2015, 5:39pm

Post #32 of 32 (450 views)
Shortcut
Well not necessarily doing something right... [In reply to] Can't Post

Though someone might well think so. I think the bit it's difficult to suggest is that it isn't doing something very popular. We can definitely say that things work or don't work for us as individuals though!

And I totally agree that films can spur reading. I would say that, logically though, how "canon" the film is can't make much difference to how much it inspires reading.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.