Kíli's last words
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Súleth
The Shire

Apr 18 2015, 5:13pm

Post #1 of 31 (2455 views)
Shortcut
Kíli's last words Can't Post

I think it has already been speculated on Kíli saying something (or at least his attempt to say something) just before he died.

In theaters, I didn't catch it. But whatever he said it hadn't been dubbed anyway. Not in the German version, that is. So, I guess there aren't any captions on the DVD/Blu-ray for this particular scene either.

As BOTFA is finally available on Digital HD here I could watch that scene quite a few times. The music is playing relatively loud, so I'm still having problems. However, now I seem to make out "I'm sorry." But maybe that's just me. And my mind craving to solve this riddle.

Have any of you given this some thought as well? Maybe your ears are sharper than mine. Wink

And - supposed that my mind's not just playing games with me - what do you think about these last words? What does he mean by it? Is he only addressing Tauriel?

Sure, Kíli is looking in her direction. But I like to think that his thoughts are also with his family. Like ... he's sorry he won't be returning to his mother, he's sorry he didn't protect Fíli, he's sorry he might have failed Thorin ... and he's sorry he cannot protect Tauriel either.

IMO these words would make much sense and they would give the scene so much more depth.

What do you think?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

marary
Lorien

Apr 18 2015, 5:42pm

Post #2 of 31 (2347 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't say anything [In reply to] Can't Post

But it looks like he's trying to. I think having a mace through your lung might make it a bit difficult to get the words out.

Anyway, there's nothing there to hear.

He might be telling Tauriel to run, which would be fitting, as those were Fili's last words, too.

Maybe he's saying "it's just a flesh wound, I'll walk it off."

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 18 2015, 6:13pm

Post #3 of 31 (2314 views)
Shortcut
Ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

Many seem to think it's 'I love you' -_- Which wouldn't be impressive at all. His actual last spoken word is 'Tauriel' though. Ugh again. Gosh I don't know. I just really hate how they pulled him away from his family in every sense. I saw a post on tumblr once where one was jokingly writing something like "If Kili dies with Tauriel and not Fili I will burn al Hobbit merch I have" and then update on that was of a huge fire because obviously that's what happened Frown Sly

Adrianna
Lorien

Apr 18 2015, 8:33pm

Post #4 of 31 (2248 views)
Shortcut
Mmmm! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the same thing about him saying I Love You but I don't know. It doesn't seem like it. I'm waiting for the EE to come out. I have not bought the ones that are out now. It had to be something significant I would think.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 18 2015, 8:55pm

Post #5 of 31 (2241 views)
Shortcut
Maybe he tries to tell Tauriel... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Don't just sit there!!"

Laugh

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 18 2015, 8:58pm

Post #6 of 31 (2237 views)
Shortcut
I almost coughed orange juice out of my nose. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think having a mace through your lung might make it a bit difficult to get the words out.

Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Adrianna
Lorien

Apr 18 2015, 9:00pm

Post #7 of 31 (2234 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

He probably did. I mean I know she just got the wind knocked out of her but I still think she could have saved him. I mean that scene showing him and then her seemed to long for her not to do something.

Laugh

(This post was edited by Adrianna on Apr 18 2015, 9:02pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 18 2015, 9:34pm

Post #8 of 31 (2216 views)
Shortcut
But [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in slow-mo, so even if she had run her very, very fastest, she still would never have got there. Laugh

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 12:43am

Post #9 of 31 (2171 views)
Shortcut
Ditto [In reply to] Can't Post

Self-embargoed as I was - and I really knew little to nothing - I will always, always, be profoundly grateful for the heavily filtered warning I got via e-mail. Unimpressed

Weeks and weeks of dreading the fate of the Durins, but re wise folks on TORn and learning about Tolkien's influences and the Norse mentality and the Durins "would have such an end, it would be worthy of remembrance." It would be terrible and epic and worthy of song. I would be gutted, but proud of my favorites.Cool

Er. "And I said to myself then, as I more or less indifferently watched as one who I had adored through 3 movies slipped away (without even seeming to have been THAT worked up over the loss of his beloved BROTHER) that now you know. There are things worse than canon. Things worse than fighting not to cry in a public movie theater. There's NOT CARING because by that point things are so derailed from what you were expecting, the only thing you can do is stare in stupefaction."Unimpressed

marary
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 6:44am

Post #10 of 31 (2116 views)
Shortcut
In Tauriel's defense... [In reply to] Can't Post

He probably did. I mean I know she just got the wind knocked out of her but I still think she could have saved him. I mean that scene showing him and then her seemed to long for her not to do something.

If you watch the scene again, Tauriel isn't just sitting there waiting for Bolg to kill Kili.

She tries to grab his mace. Already, she's lost a lot of strength from her earlier beat-down. Then Bolg throws her off. She rolls, almost immediately after she looks up, Bolg kills Kili.

Sometimes people made it sound like she was lounging on a pool chair sipping a margarita while Kili died...

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 19 2015, 7:57am

Post #11 of 31 (2098 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

If you watch the scene again, Tauriel isn't just sitting there waiting for Bolg to kill Kili.

She tries to grab his mace. Already, she's lost a lot of strength from her earlier beat-down. Then Bolg throws her off. She rolls, almost immediately after she looks up, Bolg kills Kili.

Sometimes people made it sound like she was lounging on a pool chair sipping a margarita while Kili died...

Oh I know that. I personally just joke about it because of the slow mo (and Kili's already stabbed when he tries to say something so yeah. M'just joking really). The death itself could have been at least a little better if they had dropped the slow mo they seem to love so much.

marary
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 8:02am

Post #12 of 31 (2094 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind the scene, but if I could change the editing, it would be a little less slo-mo and cut out the part where Tauriel sort of gasps out and seemingly reaches out her hand-- I remember thinking "ok, that was just cheesy". That was the part where it dragged out too long.

After that it gets better: I actually quite enjoyed Tauriel transitioning into a rather Kili-esque rage-face to throw Bolg of a ledge.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 19 2015, 8:08am

Post #13 of 31 (2093 views)
Shortcut
Try to speed it up. [In reply to] Can't Post

The death itself could have been at least a little better if they had dropped the slow mo they seem to love so much.

Go to youtube and search for kili´s death and speed it up and see if you like it.

Adrianna
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 9:35am

Post #14 of 31 (2077 views)
Shortcut
It's okay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not beating up on Tauriel and I'm not saying she didn't wait or try to save Kili. I just wish the scene could have been done alot better also.
Or the time between the two scenes wouldn't have been so slow.

Yeah speeding the scenes up might help.

Laugh

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 19 2015, 3:06pm

Post #15 of 31 (2042 views)
Shortcut
Oh, come on, it wasn't THAT bad! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Self-embargoed as I was - and I really knew little to nothing - I will always, always, be profoundly grateful for the heavily filtered warning I got via e-mail. Unimpressed

Weeks and weeks of dreading the fate of the Durins, but re wise folks on TORn and learning about Tolkien's influences and the Norse mentality and the Durins "would have such an end, it would be worthy of remembrance." It would be terrible and epic and worthy of song. I would be gutted, but proud of my favorites.Cool

Er. "And I said to myself then, as I more or less indifferently watched as one who I had adored through 3 movies slipped away (without even seeming to have been THAT worked up over the loss of his beloved BROTHER) that now you know. There are things worse than canon. Things worse than fighting not to cry in a public movie theater. There's NOT CARING because by that point things are so derailed from what you were expecting, the only thing you can do is stare in stupefaction."Unimpressed

Well yeah he slipped from the "avenge Fili rage" to trying to save Tauriel, but that was her fault for getting stomped so badly. Go check out that Gandalf in Ravenhill cartoon on Fan Art - she was such a bad ass, what happened? Oh well, she had saved Kili twice, I guess he felt like he owed her one.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 19 2015, 3:15pm

Post #16 of 31 (2038 views)
Shortcut
I thought he was trying to say something [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was whatever that word was he said at the lake shore, something like "Amralamane," or as some put it "I'm proudly made"; well I doubt he actually said that but it sounded like it.

marary
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 3:27pm

Post #17 of 31 (2032 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if you noticed this... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but all I'm seeing there is Kili striking a pose, followed by the words "Why yes, I do look like Anna Friel", and it's sorta making my day.

marary
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 3:30pm

Post #18 of 31 (2027 views)
Shortcut
True! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well yeah he slipped from the "avenge Fili rage" to trying to save Tauriel, but that was her fault for getting stomped so badly. Go check out that Gandalf in Ravenhill cartoon on Fan Art - she was such a bad ass, what happened? Oh well, she had saved Kili twice, I guess he felt like he owed her one.

Kili, you had once chance to not be a damsel in distress for once, and you mucked it up! Arg.

Though I don't think Tauriel stopped being a badass just because she lost to Bolg. Even after having the wind knocked out of her, she does that awesome last stand thing and drags him over a ledge. Even when she's getting beat down, she's still getting in a few palpable hits and she displays her warrior grit to the very end.

And remember, this is BOLG. Legolas actually lost his first fight with Bolg (and got a bloody nose), and he's undoubtedly a better warrior than Tauriel. Kili and Fili both lost their fights in the end. Are they any less badass? To what standard are we holding Tauriel anyway? Cool

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 19 2015, 3:36pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 19 2015, 5:54pm

Post #19 of 31 (1998 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
... but all I'm seeing there is Kili striking a pose, followed by the words "Why yes, I do look like Anna Friel", and it's sorta making my day.

Though I don't think Anna Friel looks THAT good!

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 6:28pm

Post #20 of 31 (1980 views)
Shortcut
It's "Amrâlimê" [In reply to] Can't Post

Or "My love"

Súleth
The Shire

Apr 19 2015, 10:10pm

Post #21 of 31 (1939 views)
Shortcut
"I love you" was my first thought as well [In reply to] Can't Post

... and I wasn't happy about that at all. It would be the same with "Amrâlimê". IMO, it just wouldn't feel like something Kíli would say in that ... situation. I don't know.

But I guess we'll never know what Kíli said. Or if he said anything at all, for that matter.

I saw a post on tumblr once where one was jokingly writing something like "If Kili dies with Tauriel and not Fili I will burn al Hobbit merch I have" and then update on that was of a huge fire because obviously that's what happened Frown Sly

I saw this, too! And, well, it was consistent (is that the right term?). I admire that a bit. Sly Wink

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 11:16pm

Post #22 of 31 (1933 views)
Shortcut
I've tried to figure this out too, reading Kili's lips [In reply to] Can't Post

but unfortunately it's hard for me to tell when he's repeating himself, or starting something new.

My guesses have been:

"Amralime"

"Don't tell Mom what I did with the stone" Wink

"I l- l- l- lo- I lov-"

"What are you waiting for? Kick his groin again!" Tongue

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 3:57pm

Post #23 of 31 (1871 views)
Shortcut
oh dear LOL *awkward slide* [In reply to] Can't Post

.....not that bad.....

I think I shouldn't have said anythingUnsure, BECAUSE something someone PM'd to me re a comment someone else made that someoneCoolCrazy had grown weary of always feeling on the the defensive re Kili? Tauriel and so....

while on the one hand, TORn allows all to express respectful opinions, that thought did make me feel kinda bad and I don't have any answers. Because TORn IMO is very well-run and folks should feel "safe".Unsure

And so, to back-pedal a bit, CoolAngelicCool and be more positiveCool - well, on a large scale, I'm NEVER gonna like Kili dying for Tauriel for reasons that were stated in earlier posts.

But the original post was about Kili's last words - so if I take things at face value, for me I guess it doesn't matter. At face value, for me, how things actually played out - well, for me, that's a whole can of big, juicy, worms *sigh*. Because across the board IMO from Thranduil to Thorin to Tauriel to Fili to Kili, as experienced fighters, logical questions could be asked, I think.Unimpressed

But well, OK, for me, I don't have a problem with Tauriel getting beat down, and defended her on an earlier thread re that regard - re the fight choreography between her and Bolg, frame by frame, it's pretty good. Elf or not, watching BOFA and stopping frames here and there, plenty of elves are being killed at the hands of orcs.

*Sniff* Thorin has gotten something of the same rash of *&^^%$* at timesUnimpressed - in fact, as far as I can tell in films, anyone who doesn't win a fight in any film gets SOME hammering, like a sports team or something. Even if your opponent is 3x your size and built like a rhino and also an experienced fighter.

I've got more of an issue with Tauriel hollering for Kili and so Bolg takes her by surprise (being a woodland elf and so on) and Kili not jumping and going for Bolg's head, sword held straight down. Thorin comes off his ram like that, and we see the same move of sorts with Legolas.

But - the filmmakers had to do SOMETHING to have events flow *shrug* and whatever issues I have, BOFA is a cohesive story with terrific and original fight choreography.Heart

LOL so now I am gonna *awkward slide* out of this thread and work more on remembering all the stuff I love about my favorite films.CoolCoolCool And go have a nice swim in the River, too.WinkLaugh

marary
Lorien

Apr 21 2015, 7:13am

Post #24 of 31 (1819 views)
Shortcut
Kili's last words were "awkward slide"! [In reply to] Can't Post

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 21 2015, 1:49pm

Post #25 of 31 (1794 views)
Shortcut
Please don't *awkwardslide* away! [In reply to] Can't Post

I always like chatting with you, we have so much in common - like an obsession with a certain King Under the MountainEvilHeart Besides, I was just teasing. I thought you were being sarcastic and a little OTT, so I was trying to reply in kind. And I'm happy to join you in the river, in fact I've nearly finished my first ever fanvid, where I demonstrate how the heirs of Durin actually survived! It will hopefully be up on YouTube later this week. I'm also working on a second video of Thorin's entire final fight with Azog, starting with Azog charging out of that doorway. You're right, the fight choreography is incredible. I'm just cutting out the cutaways to Kili/Tauriel and Legolas/Bolg, (although Leggy is still in there a little, can't be helped, LOL!), so that I can stay focused on his #Majestic fighting skills!

Actually, I think this is one of yours - you always give us such WONDERFUL pics!!!

Proud member of the BOFA Denial Association

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.