Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What is your attitude towards flying?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What is your attitude towards flying?
I don't know because I've never flown
I've never flown but I'd really like to some day
I've never flown and I want to keep it that way
Air travel is like riding a bus. It's no big deal to me.
I really enjoy traveling by plane.
I will travel by plane when I have to but don't particularly enjoy it
I dislike air travel but not because of fear of flying
I dislike air travel because of fear of flying
I have a profound fear of flying and require medical or other assistance to do it
Not only to I enjoy flying but I can pilot a plane as well
Other
View Results (70 votes)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2015, 11:43pm

Post #26 of 41 (2557 views)
Shortcut
Dislike but not because of fear of flying [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole airport mess just drives me bonkers.

I would rather drive than fly.

I don't plan to do any overseas traveling anyway.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 17 2015, 12:12am

Post #27 of 41 (2555 views)
Shortcut
Not afraid, but I dislike it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm very sensitive to changes in atmospheric pressure, and the dry recirculated air doesn't help. It messes with my head in a way that's hard to explain and it makes me feel spacey and ill (not necessarily nauseated). I suppose it's sort of mild altitude sickness. I also get a head cold every time unless I wear a mask, and I don't like the vague motion (I have the same problem with elevators sometimes).

I do it to get places fast, but I tend not to feel well for a while after I get there. The longest flight I've ever made was about 5 hours. I''d love to visit NZ someday, but thought of 11 or 12 hours is very daunting. Frown

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2015, 1:01am

Post #28 of 41 (2544 views)
Shortcut
Other: flying is exhilarating but scawee :P [In reply to] Can't Post

I always get so jazzed when I have the chance to fly, even when it's not exactly a pleasure trip. But I'm also a bundle of nerves. It's strange that I love something that scares me so much, I'm not the daredevil type. I sometimes think that I was a pilot who died in a crash in a previous life. Crazy

And, like Starling, I even enjoy the airport. It's the best people - watching place, and it's full of excitement and emotion. Smile Yes, much of the emotion is negative and angry, but there's a lot of positive and beautiful emotion as well.

The last few times I've been through the airport, it's been post major health issue. I have to use a wheelchair, which is great for getting through securitySmile, but it's a bummer because I used to like wandering around. Frown Oh, well. If I'm traveling, I'm usually happy. I just wish I had the chance to do more.

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 17 2015, 1:07am

Post #29 of 41 (2538 views)
Shortcut
"I love that moment of takeoff" [In reply to] Can't Post

Me too! Very well put, and lovely story about flying with the children. Smile

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 17 2015, 8:27am

Post #30 of 41 (2518 views)
Shortcut
Meh [In reply to] Can't Post

On one side I enjoy the feeling of going somewhere. It's exciting.
At the same time the time in between taking off and landing is sooooo boring Laugh So I'm okay with flying, but the excitement from take off doesn't last long XD

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2015, 11:39pm

Post #31 of 41 (2446 views)
Shortcut
Love it, but don't get to travel very much [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always enjoyed traveling by plane and I seem to be the only person I know who goes to the airport early just because I enjoy being there - nothing like that ol' airport ambience, I guess.

I actually lived in an airport once when I was in the Air Force - Tempelhof, in West Berlin, when it was still a combined civilian/military airport, and sitting in our dorm lounge on the very wide windowsills, drinking hot chocolate and watching the planes land and take off was always a nice pastime. A less fun aspect was that British Airways used to warm up the engines of their first jet of the day right under my bedroom window at 7 AM every morning when I was working rotating shifts. That's a very loud alarm clock! Smile

Between the planes, the resident ghost, and the herd of sheep that lived on the grass between the runways it was a very interesting and unique form of housing. And Tempelhof itself is an amazing architectural structure with a fascinating history and a location that is not for the faint-hearted pilot - right smack in the middle of the city surrounded by buildings.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2015, 2:15am

Post #32 of 41 (2437 views)
Shortcut
I grew up with a couple of TV shows [In reply to] Can't Post

about flying: Ripcord, about two guys who jumped out of perfectly good planes, some other thing I half remember from the 60s, and a couple things like Baa Baa Black Sheep (I still like Corsairs).

And I had a propensity for drawing horses with wings.

When I finally got to fly in a real plane, I basically did battle for the window seat.

I got to fly in a sailplane once, there are two cockpits, and you sit in the front one, and can feel the pedals and (doohickey steering wheel thingie) as the pilot moves them.

I hears something on NPR once, about a poll where people were asked which superpower they'd want: flight or invisibility. Many women chose invisibility.

I went..

WAHTTHEACTUALBLEEPITY DOO DDAH!?!?!?!

I see invisibility as manipulative. I dream of flight. Literally: I sometimes dream of flying.

Some of the things I have done on the ground or water are more aking to flying than you'd imagine: a fast horse, a fast sailing ship, a kayak plying the waves, and dogs running a trail towing you behind...

I worked with wildlife rehabbers and have held hawks on my hand... there is something about the sheer power of a 3 pound bird that is indescribable.

Flight.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 20 2015, 7:01am

Post #33 of 41 (2429 views)
Shortcut
Love those flight dreams [In reply to] Can't Post

I had them frequently as a child and still have them every now and again.

Kim
Valinor

Apr 21 2015, 2:44am

Post #34 of 41 (2410 views)
Shortcut
Side comment [In reply to] Can't Post

every time I click in here to see another post, I keep reading the thread title as "What is your altitude towards flying?" Tongue

Annael
Immortal

Apr 21 2015, 3:53pm

Post #35 of 41 (2382 views)
Shortcut
fascinating [In reply to] Can't Post

Do tell more about the resident ghost!

I usually fly out of SeaTac fairly early in the morning and I like to go early, get all the security silliness over with, and have a leisurely breakfast in the big central concourse where you can watch the planes landing & taking off - on a clear day, with the Olympic Mountains in the background.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 21 2015, 4:07pm

Post #36 of 41 (2382 views)
Shortcut
Comment from the margins [In reply to] Can't Post

Blush I was actually tempted to use that in my original post, Kim.

Cool

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 21 2015, 5:11pm

Post #37 of 41 (2369 views)
Shortcut
The ghost [In reply to] Can't Post

We called him Fred. Those who saw him always reported that he was in a uniform, but it was never clear exactly which uniform, so the theory was that he was a German or Russian soldier from WW II who somehow died at Tempelhof and for reasons unknown was still hanging around (maybe his flight was delayed Crazy ).

Interestingly, ours wasn't the only U.S. military base with a ghost. There was also one in England that I heard about that had the more traditional "white lady" ghost in one of the old buildings that they used, but I can't remember now the name of the base.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2015, 4:00pm

Post #38 of 41 (2358 views)
Shortcut
Never flown [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know if I'd be OK with flying or not since I've never done it. It doesn't sound like the most pleasant thing in the world and it seems expensive, especially for more than one person, so those are some downsides right there. Add to that the fear that something might go wrong...mechanical malfunction, crazy person on board, terrorism...and it becomes something I'd only do if I had no other way to get somewhere.Unsure

That being said, there are several places I dream of going to someday that are overseas, (Places in Europe like England, Ireland, Scotland, other places from which I have ancestry are life-long dreams. New Zealand is a more recent dream that came as a result of Tolkien fandom.) so I guess if I get serious about actually trying to go to those places someday, flying is a fear I'd have to learn to face, somehow.

In theory, I think, while waiting to get on the plane I'd be excitedly nervous and praying fervently that everyone getting on board and operating the plane was sane and competent. Then, once on-board and in the air, I'd probably just try to chill out and pass the time watching movies, knitting/crocheting or whatever, and accepting the fact that I have no control over what happens until the plane lands. Then, I'd get off the plane, kiss the ground, and praise the Lord that I survived. Repeat process as needed when it comes time to fly back home.Tongue

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 24 2015, 5:30pm

Post #39 of 41 (2331 views)
Shortcut
We had a haunted plane at Little Rock AFB. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a 1963 model C-130 transport plane, tail #63-7771, nicknamed Spooky. There were two different stories about why Spooky was haunted; either it was the ghosts of soldiers' bodies carried home from Vietnam, or a loadmaster was killed when the cargo broke loose in flight and crushed him.

I was on the flightline Halloween night getting Spooky ready for a morning mission, filling the fuel tanks. When I was done, I went to the fuel truck driver as usual to ask how much fuel he had pumped into Spooky's tanks. He glanced at the big odometer style numbers on the fuel truck, and it was displaying a fuel load of 666 gallons.

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 24 2015, 6:01pm

Post #40 of 41 (2325 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid of flying and [In reply to] Can't Post

afraid of airports so I picked both. I've only flown once in my life so I might get used to it if I do it more. My granddaughter has flown as an unaccompanied minor twice and will be doing it her third time in June to see me. I'm so proud of her! The first time she was ten and the second time she was 11. When I first mentioned it to her she said she'd be afraid but I guess she missed me enough to try it anyway.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 24 2015, 10:09pm

Post #41 of 41 (2313 views)
Shortcut
That is pretty cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never heard of a haunted plane before, so that's a new one for me. I guess as long as he's friendly and not one of those pesky poltergeists who tampers with the plane mid-flight, that could make for some pretty interesting flying!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.