The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 5 2015, 2:53pm

Post #1 of 23 (2735 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

In honor of today. Happy Easter everyone.

"...before the Sun had fallen far from the noon out of the East there came a great Eagle flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope:

Sing now, ye people of the Tower of Anor,

for the Realm of Sauron is ended for ever,

and the Dark Tower is thrown down.

Sing and rejoice, ye people of the Tower of Guard,

for your watch hath not been in vain,

and the Black Gate is broken,

and your King hath passed through,

and he is victorious.

Sing and be glad, all ye children of the West,

for your King shall come again,

and he shall dwell among you

all the days of your life.

And the Tree that was withered shall be renewed,

and he shall plant it in the high places,

and the City shall be blessed.

...And the people sang in all the ways of the City.! And all the people sang in all the ways of the City.'"

'Elen síla lúmenn omentilmo'

sample

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 5 2015, 4:38pm

Post #2 of 23 (2713 views)
Shortcut
Happy Easter Gramma, and all! What a perfect selection. // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 6 2015, 4:14pm

Post #3 of 23 (2697 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 6, 2983 (S.R. 1383)
1. Birth of Samwise Gamgee.
...It is told that a son is born to gardener Hamfast Gamgee (the gaffer) and Bell Goodchild of the Shire on this Spring day.

April 6, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Healing in Minas Tirith.
(not from the appendices)
..."Then Faramir came and sought her, and once more they stood on the walls together; and he said to her: 'Éowyn, why do you tarry here, and do not go to the rejoicing in Cormallen beyond Cair Andros, where your brother awaits you?'
...And she said: 'Do you not know?'
...'...Two reasons there may be, but which is true, I do not know....'
...'...I do not wish to play at riddles. Speak plainer!'
...'Then if you will have it so, lady... ...you do not go, because only your brother called for you, and to look on the Lord Aragorn, Elendil's heir, in his triumph would now bring you no joy. Or because I do not go, and you desire still to be near me. And maybe for both these reasons, and you yourself cannot choose between them. Éowyn, do you not love me, or will you not?'
...'I wished to be loved by another... ...But I desire no man's pity.'
...'That I know,' he said. 'You desired to have the love of the Lord Aragorn. Because he was high and puissant, and you wished to have renown and glory and to be lifted far above the mean things that crawl on the earth. And as a great captain may to a young soldier he seemed to you admirable... ...a lord among men, the greatest that now is. But when he gave you only understanding and pity, then you desired to have nothing, unless a brave death in battle. Look at me, Éowyn!'
...And Éowyn looked at Faramir long and steadily; and Faramir said: 'Do not scorn pity that is the gift of a gentle heart, Éowyn! But I do not offer you my pity. For you are a lady high and valiant and have yourself won renown that shall not be forgotten; and you are a lady beautiful... ...beyond even the words of the Elven-tongue to tell. And I love you. Once I pitied your sorrow. But now, were you sorrowless, without fear or any lack, were you the blissful Queen of Gondor, still I would love you. Éowyn, do you not love me?'
...Then the heart of Éowyn changed, or else at last she understood it. And suddenly her winter passed, and the sun shone on her.
...'I stand in Minas Anor, the Tower of the Sun... ...and behold! the Shadow has departed! I will be a shieldmaiden no longer, nor vie with the great Riders, nor take joy only in the songs of slaying. I will be a healer, and love all things that grow and are not barren. And again she looked at Faramir. 'No longer do I desire to be a queen,' she said.
...Then Faramir laughed merrily. 'That is well... ...for I am not a king. Yet I will wed with the White Lady of Rohan, if it be her will. And if she will, then let us cross the River and in happier days let us dwell in fair Ithilien and there make a garden. All things will grow with joy there, if the White Lady comes.'"

2. Healing in Ithilien.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Since Merry's arrival to Ithilien, he sat with Gandalf as they watched and waited for some sign of waking from Frodo and Sam. Under the care of King Elessar, they seemed to be wrapped in a safe, healing sleep. It was disturbing to Merry to see them so, as if they were drifting in a place far away. But his time with Pippin heartened him as his strength grew daily. Merry's loneliness lifted as they chattered about all they had done and made light of the grim shadows that lingered.

3. Meeting of Celeborn and Thranduil.
(from the appendices)
..."And on the day of the New Year of the Elves, Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest; and they renamed Mirkwood Eryn Lasgalen, The Wood of Greenleaves. Thranduil took all the northern region as far as the mountains that rise in the forest of his realm; and Celeborn took the southern wood below the Narrows, and named it East Lórien; but all the wide forest between was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen."

April 6, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The mallorn flowers in the Party Field.
(from the appendices)
..."In the Party field, a beautiful young sapling leaped up: it had silver bark and long leaves and burst into golden flowers in April. It was indeed a mallorn, and it was the wonder of the neighbourhood... ...as it grew in grace and beauty, it was known far and wide and people would come long journeys to see it: the only mallorn west of the Mountains and east of the Sea; and one of the finest in the world."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 7 2015, 10:30am

Post #4 of 23 (2677 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 7, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Pippin rises from his sickbed.
...[Gimli speaks his peace] "I love you, if only because of the pains you have cost me, which I shall never forget. Nor shall I forget finding you on the hill of the last battle. But for Gimli the Dwarf you would have been lost then... ...I know now the look of a hobbit's foot, though it be all that can been seen under a heap of bodies. And when I heaved that great carcase off you, I made sure you were dead. I could have torn out my beard.'"

April 7, 3020 (S.R. 1420)
1. The Shire slowly begins to look as it once did by the tireless work of the Hobbits.
..."Sam stayed at first at the Cottons' with Frodo; but when the New Row was ready he went with the Gaffer. In addition to all his other labours he was busy directing the cleaning up and restoring of Bag End..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 8 2015, 8:21am

Post #5 of 23 (2651 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 8, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Ring-bearers are honoured on the Field of Cormallen.
(from the appendices)
..."When Sam awoke, he found that he was lying on some soft bed, but over him gently swayed wide beechen boughs... ...All the air was full of a sweet mingled scent.
...He remembered that smell: the fragrance of Ithilien. 'Bless me!' he mused. 'How long have I been asleep?' For the scent had borne him back to the day when he had lit his little fire under the sunny bank; and for the moment all else between was out of waking memory. He stretched and drew a deep breath. 'Why, what a dream I've had!' he muttered... ...then he saw that Frodo was lying beside him, and slept peacefully, one hand behind his head, and the other resting upon the coverlet. It was the right hand, and the third finger was missing.
...Full memory flooded back, and Sam cried aloud: 'It wasn't a dream! Then where are we?'
...And a voice spoke softly behind him: 'In the land of Ithilien, and in the keeping of the King; and he awaits you.' With that Gandalf stood before him, robed in white, his beard now gleaming like pure snow... '...Well, Master Samwise, how do you feel?'
...But Sam lay back, and stared with open mouth... ...between bewilderment and great joy, he could not answer. At last he gasped: 'Gandalf! I thought you were dead! But then I thought I was dead myself. Is everything sad going to come untrue? What's happened to the world?'
...'A great Shadow has departed,' said Gandalf, and then he laughed, and the sound was like music... ...and as he listened the thought came to Sam that he had not heard laughter, the pure sound of merriment, for days upon days without count. It fell upon his ears like the echo of all the joys he had ever known. But he himself burst into tears. Then... ...his tears ceased, and his laughter welled up, and laughing he sprang from his bed.
...'How do I feel? ...Well, I don't know how to say it. I feel, I feel'—he waved his arms in the air—'I feel like spring after winter, and sun on the leaves; and like trumpets and harps and all the songs I have ever heard!' He stopped and he turned towards his master. 'But how's Mr. Frodo ? ...Isn't it a shame about his poor hand? But I hope he's all right otherwise. He's had a cruel time.'
...'Yes, I am all right otherwise,' said Frodo, sitting up and laughing in his turn. 'I fell asleep again waiting for you, Sam... ...I was awake early this morning, and now it must be nearly noon.'
...'Noon!' said Sam, trying to calculate. 'Noon of what day?'
...'The fourteenth of the New Year,' said Gandalf; 'or... ...the eighth day of April in the Shire reckoning. But in Gondor the New Year will always now begin upon the twenty-fifth of March when Sauron fell, and when you were brought out of the fire to the King. He has tended you, and now he awaits you. You shall eat and drink with him. When you are ready I will lead you to him.'
...'The King?' said Sam. 'What king, and who is he?'
...'The King of Gondor and the Lord of the Western Lands... ...and he has taken back all his ancient realm. He will ride soon to his crowning, but he waits for you.'
...'What shall we wear?' said Sam; for all he could see was the old and tattered clothes that they had journeyed in....
...'The clothes that you wore on your way to Mordor,' said Gandalf. 'Even the orc-rags that you bore in the black land, Frodo, shall be preserved. No silks or linens, nor any armour or heraldry could be more honourable....'
......Then he held out his hands to them, and they saw that one shone with Light. 'What have you got there?' Frodo cried. 'Can it be-----?'
...'Yes, I have brought your two treasures. They were found on Sam when you were rescued. The Lady Galadriel's gifts; your glass, Frodo and your box, Sam. You will be glad to have them safe again.'
...When they were washed and clad, and had eaten a light meal, the Hobbits followed Gandalf...

......As they came to the opening in the wood, they were surprised to see knights in bright mail and tall guards in silver and black standing there, who greeted them with honour and bowed before them...

......Frodo and Sam went forward and saw that amidst the clamourous host were set three high-seats built of green turves... ...but behind the highest throne in the midst of all a great standard was spread in the breeze, and there a white tree flowered upon a sable field beneath a shining crown and seven glittering stars. On the throne sat a mail-clad man, a great sword was laid across his knees, but he wore no helm. As they drew near he rose. And then they knew him, changed as he was, so high and glad of face, kingly, lord of Men, dark-haired with eyes of grey.
...Frodo ran to meet him, and Sam followed close... '...Well, if it this isn't the crown of all!' he said. 'Strider, or I'm still asleep!'
...'Yes, Sam, Strider,' said Aragorn. 'It is a long way, is it not, from Bree, where you did not like the look of me?'
......And then to Sam's surprise and utter confusion he bowed his knee before them; and taking them by the hand... ...he led them to the throne, and setting them upon it, he turned to the men and captains who stood by and spoke, so that his voice rang over all the host, crying: 'Praise them with great praise!'
...And when the glad shout had swelled up and died away again, to Sam's final and complete satisfaction and pure joy, a minstrel of Gondor stood forth, and knelt, and begged leave to sing... ...of Frodo of the Nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom.'
...And when Sam heard that he laughed aloud for shear delight, and he stood up and cried: 'O great glory and splendour! And all my wishes have come true!' And then he wept.
...And all the host laughed and wept, and in the midst of their merriment and tears the clear voice of the minstrel rose like silver and gold.... ...he sang to them, now in the Elven-tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness....

......there came two esquires to serve the kings... ...one was clad in the silver and sable of the Guards of Minas Tirith, and the other in white and green. But Sam wondered what such young boys were doing in an army of mighty men. Then suddenly as they drew near and he could see them plainly, he exclaimed:
...'Why, look Mr. Frodo! Look here! Well, if it isn't Pippin. Mr. Peregrin Took I should say, and Mr. Merry! How they have grown... ...I can see there's more tales to tell than ours.'
...'There are indeed,' said Pippin turning towards him. 'And we'll begin telling them, as soon as this feast is ended. In the meantime you can try Gandalf. He's not so close as he used to be, though he laughs now more than he talks.'"

2. The Ring-bearers revisit fair Ithilien.
..."Orcs, and talking trees, and leagues of grass, and galloping riders, and glittering caves, and white towers and golden halls, and battles, and tall ships sailing, all these passed before Sam's mind until he felt bewildered... ...amidst all these wonders he returned always to his astonishment at the size of Merry and Pippin; and he made them stand back to back with Frodo and himself.... '...Can't understand it at your age!' he said. 'But there it is: you're three inches taller than you ought to be, or I'm a dwarf.'
...'That you certainly are not,' said Gimli. 'But what did I say? Mortals cannot go drinking ent-draughts and expect no more to come of them than a pot of beer.'
...'Ent-draughts?' said Sam. 'There you go about Ents again; but what they are beats me. Why, it will take weeks before we get all these things sized up...!'

... At length Gandalf rose. 'The hands of the King are hands of healing, dear friends... ...But you were to the very brink of death ere he recalled you, putting forth all his power, and sent you into the sweet forgetfulness of sleep. And though you have indeed slept long and blessedly, still it is now time to sleep again.'"

[league = 3 miles]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 9 2015, 9:20am

Post #6 of 23 (2624 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 9 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 9, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Ring-bearers revisit fair Ithilien.
..."In the morning Sam and Frodo rose again in hope and peace; and they spent many days in Ithilien... ...The hobbits wandered here and there visiting again the places that they had passed before; and Sam hoped always in some shadow of the woods or secret glade to catch... ...a glimpse of the great Oliphaunt. And when he learned that at the siege of Gondor there had been a great number of these beasts but that they were all destroyed, he thought it a sad loss.
...'Well, one can't be everywhere at once, I suppose... ...But I missed a lot, seemingly.'
...In the meanwhile the host made ready for the return to Minas Tirith. The weary rested and the hurt were healed."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 9 2015, 3:42pm

Post #7 of 23 (2611 views)
Shortcut
"But I missed a lot, seemingly." [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, Sam, such a simple, beautiful heart! Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 10 2015, 10:00am

Post #8 of 23 (2593 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 10, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Ithilien becomes a land of rebirth.
...The hobbits recover in Ithilien among the Great Men of the West, the Elves, a Dwarf and a light-hearted Wizard while Minas Tirith prepares for the Return of the King.
...The resilience of the hobbits amazes those who have witnessed their healing since their rescue little more than three weeks before, but especially since their waking only four days ago. Together again, the hobbits thrive in this fair land.

April 10, 1420 (S.R. 3020)
...Spring in the Shire has always been one of Sam's favourite times of the year, but this year's especially grand as he watches the young trees grow, the flowers bloom and Hobbiton steadily healing from its hurts.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 10 2015, 10:02am

Post #9 of 23 (2590 views)
Shortcut
Sam moments... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still smile every time :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 11 2015, 11:36am

Post #10 of 23 (2570 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 11 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 11, 3018 (S.R. 1418) The Great Years
1. An evening at the Green Dragon.
..."The conversation in the Green Dragon at Bywater, one evening in the spring of Frodo's fiftieth year, showed that even in the comfortable heart of the Shire rumours had been heard, though most hobbits still laughed at them.
...Sam Gamgee was sitting in one corner near the fire, and opposite him was Ted Sandyman, the miller's son; and... ...other rustic hobbits listening to their talk.
...'Queer things you do hear these days, to be sure,' said Sam.
...'Ah,' said Ted, 'you do, if you listen. But I can hear fireside-tales and children's stories at home...'
...'...No doubt you can,' retorted Sam, 'and I daresay there's more truth in some of them than you reckon. Who invented the stories anyway? Take dragons now.'
...'No thank 'ee,' said Ted, 'I won't. I heard tell of them when I was a youngster, but there's no call to believe in them now. There's only one Dragon in Bywater, and that's Green,' he said, getting a general laugh.
...'All right,' said Sam, laughing... '...But what about these Tree-men, these giants, as you might call them? They do say that one bigger than a tree was seen up away beyond the North Moors not long back.'
...'Who's they?'
...'My cousin Hal for one... ...He saw one.'
...'Says he did, perhaps. Your Hal's always saying that he's seen things; and maybe he sees things that ain't there.'
...'But this one was as big as an elm tree, and walking... ...seven yards to a stride, if it was an inch.'
...'Then I bet it wasn't an inch. What he saw was an elm tree, as like as not.'
...'But this one was walking, I tell you; and there ain't no elm tree on the North Moors.
...'Then Hal can't have seen one,' said Ted. There was some laughing and clapping: the audience seemed to think that Ted had scored a point.
...'All the same,' said Sam, 'you can't deny that others besides our Halfast have seen queer folk crossing the Shire... ...there are more that are turned back at the borders. The Bounders have never been so busy before.
...'And I've heard tell that Elves are moving west. They do say they are going to the harbours, out away beyond the White Towers.' Sam waved his arm vaguely... ...it was an old tradition that away over there stood the Grey Havens, from which at times elven-ships set sail, never to return....
...'...Well, that isn't anything new, if you believe the old tales. And I don't see what it matters to me or you. Let them sail! But I warrant you haven't seen them doing it; nor any one else in the Shire.'
...'Well, I don't know,' said Sam thoughtfully. He believed he had once seen an Elf in the woods, and still hoped to see more one day. Of all the legends that he had heard in his early years such fragments of tales and half-remembered stories about the Elves as the hobbits knew had always moved him most deeply. 'There are some even in these parts, as know the Fair Folk and get news of them,' he said. 'There's Mr. Baggins now... ...He told me that they were sailing, and he knows a bit about Elves. And old Mr. Bilbo knew more: many's the talk I had with him when I was a little lad.'
...'Oh, they're both cracked,' said Ted. 'Leastways old Bilbo was cracked, and Frodo's cracking. If that's where you get you news from, you'll never want for moonshine.... ...He drained his mug and went out noisily.
...Sam sat silent and said no more. He had a good deal to think about. For one thing, there was a lot to do up in the Bag End garden, and he would have a busy day tomorrow, if the weather cleared. The grass was growing fast. But Sam had more on his mind than gardening. After a while he sighed, and got up and went out...

......that evening, as Sam was walking home and twilight was fading, there came the once familiar tap on the study window.
...Frodo welcomed his old friend with surprise and great delight. They looked hard at one another.
...'All well, eh?' said Gandalf. 'You look the same as ever, Frodo!'
...'So do you,' Frodo replied; but secretly he thought that Gandalf looked older and more careworn. He pressed him for news of himself and of the wide world, and soon they were deep in talk, and they stayed up far into the night."

April 11, 1999
1. TheOneRing.net's first news report!
(determined from Homepage Archives)
...This is the date when TORn split open the internet and landed itself within the evolution of J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth with its first news article.
...TORn also changed the way this ground-breaking filmmaker embraced fans and gave us a voice. Peter Jackson saw the intelligence of collaborating with our TORn founders to give rise to a whole new level of creativity and synergy. Plus, he knows how fun we are !!! :D And we're off again with the filming of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey and The Hobbit: There and Back Again!

*heart pitter-pats*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 12 2015, 11:05am

Post #11 of 23 (2556 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 12 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

As April 12th is a date of importance, I'm going to spread it out over the next few days, including a day or so afterwards... for a moment (and more) of Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) The Great Years pt. 1
1. Gandalf reaches Hobbiton.
(from the appendices)
..."...after a late breakfast, the wizard was sitting with Frodo by the open window of the study. A bright fire was on the hearth, but the sun was warm...
...Gandalf was thinking of a Spring, nearly eighty years before, when Bilbo had run out of Bag End without a handkerchief.... ...He was smoking now in silence, for Frodo was sitting still, deep in thought. Even in the light of morning he felt the dark shadow of the tidings that Gandalf had brought. At last he broke the silence.
...'Last night you began to tell me strange things about my ring, Gandalf,' he said. 'And then you stopped, because you said that such matters were best left until daylight. Don't you think you had better finish now? You say the ring is dangerous, far more dangerous than I guess. In what way?'
...'In many ways... ...It is far more powerful than I ever dared to think at first, so powerful that in the end it would utterly overcome anyone of mortal race who possessed it. It would possess him....

...'...A mortal, Frodo, who keeps one of the Great Rings, does not die, but he does not grow or obtain more life, he merely continues, until at last every minute is a weariness. And if he often uses the Ring to make himself invisible, he fades: he becomes in the end invisible permanently, and walks in the twilight under the eye of the dark power that rules the Rings... ...neither strength nor good purpose will last—sooner or later the dark power will devour him.'
...'How terrifying!' said Frodo. There was another long silence. The sound of Sam Gamgee cutting the lawn came in from the garden....

...'...You do not know the real peril yet,' said Gandalf; 'but you shall. I was not sure of it myself when I was last here; but the time has come to speak. Give me the ring for a moment.'
...Frodo took it from his breeches-pocket, where it was clasped to a chain... ...and handed it slowly to the wizard. It felt suddenly very heavy, as if either it or Frodo himself was in some way reluctant for Gandalf to touch it.
...Gandalf held it up. It looked to be made of pure and solid gold. 'Can you see any markings on it...?' ...'...No,' said Frodo. 'There are none. It is quite plain, and it never shows a scratch or sign of wear.'
...'Well then, look!' To Frodo's astonishment and distress the wizard threw it suddenly into the middle of the glowing corner of the fire....

......No apparent change came over the ring. After a while, Gandalf got up, closed the shutters outside the window, and drew the curtains. The room became dark and silent though the clack of Sam's shears... ...could still be heard faintly from the garden. For a moment the wizard stood looking at the fire; then he stooped and removed the ring to the hearth with the tongs and at once picked it up. Frodo gasped.
...'It is quite cool,' said Gandalf. 'Take it!' Frodo received it on his shrinking palm: it seemed to have become thicker and heavier than ever.
...'Hold it up!' said Gandalf. 'And look closely!' As Frodo did so, he now saw fine lines, finer than the finest penstrokes, running along the ring, outside and inside: lines of fire that seemed to form the letters of a flowing script....

...'...I cannot read the fiery letter,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
...'No,' said Gandalf,' but I can. The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the language is that of Mordor, which I will not utter here. But this in the Common Tongue is what is said, close enough:

... ... One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
... ... One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them....
... ......Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
... ...Seven for the dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
... ... Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
... ... ... One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
... ... In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
... ... ... One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
... ... ... One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
... ... In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

...'...This is the Master-ring, the One Ring to rule them all. This is the One Ring that he lost many ages ago, to the great weakening of his power. He greatly desires it—-but he must not get it.'
...Frodo sat silent and motionless. Fear seemed to stretch out a vast hand, like a dark cloud rising in the East and looming up to engulf him. 'This ring!' he stammered. 'How, how on earth did it come to me?'"

[continued as BS tomorrow]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 13 2015, 9:08am

Post #12 of 23 (2532 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep... still stuck on the discussion in Bag End as the Book Spoilers continue... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) (continued) pt. 2
1. Gandalf and Frodo at Bag End.
(from the appendices)
..."'A Ring of Power looks after itself, Frodo. It may slip off treacherously, but its keeper never abandons it. At most he plays with the idea of handing it on to some one else's care—and that only at an early stage, when it first begins to grip... ...Bilbo alone in history has ever gone beyond playing, and really done it. He needed all my help, too. And even so he would never have just forsaken it, or cast it aside. It was not Gollum, Frodo, but the Ring itself that decided things. The Ring left him.'
...'What, just in time to meet Bilbo?' said Frodo....
...' ...It is no laughing matter,' said Gandalf. 'Not for you. It was the strangest event in the whole history of the Ring so far: Bilbo's arrival just at that time, and putting his hand on it, blindly, in the dark.
...'There was more than one power at work... ...The Ring was trying to get back to its master. It had slipped from Isildur's hand and betrayed him; then when a chance came it caught poor Déagol, and he was murdered; and after that Gollum, and it had devoured him. It could make no further use of him... ...as long as it stayed with him he would never leave his deep pool again. So now, when its master was awake once more and sending out his dark thought from Mirkwood, it abandoned Gollum. Only to be picked up by the most unlikely person imaginable: Bilbo from the Shire!
...'...there was something else at work, beyond any design of the Ring-maker. I can put it no plainer than by saying that Bilbo was meant to find the Ring... ...you also were meant to have it. And that may be an encouraging thought.'
...'It is not,' said Frodo. 'Though I am not sure that I understand you. But how have you learned all this about the Ring, and about Gollum? Do you really know it all, or are you just guessing still?'
...Gandalf looked at Frodo, and his eyes glinted. 'I knew much and I have learned much,' he answered. 'But I am not going to give an account of all my doings to you. The history of Elendil and Isildur and the One Ring is known to all the Wise. Your ring is shown to be that One Ring by the fire-writing alone, apart from any other evidence... ...I expected to find it. I have come back from dark journeys and long search to make that final test. It is the last proof, and all is now only too clear...'

......A heavy silence fell in the room. Frodo could hear his heart beating. Even outside everything seemed still. No sound of Sam's shears could now be heard.
...'Yes, to Mordor,' said Gandalf. 'Alas! Mordor draws all wicked things, and the Dark Power was bending all its will to gather them there...'

...'...Wretched fool! In that land [Gollum] would learn much, too much for his comfort. And sooner or later as he lurked and pried on the borders he would be caught, and taken—for examination.... ...When he was found he had already been there long, and was on his way back. On some errand of mischief. But that does not matter much now. His worst mischief was done.
...'Yes, alas! through him the Enemy has learned that the One has been found again. He knows where Isildur fell. He knows where Gollum found his ring. He knows that it is a Great Ring... ...He knows that it is not one of the Three, for they have never been lost, and they endure no evil. He knows that it is not one of the Seven or the Nine, for they are accounted for. He knows that it is the One. And he has at last heard... ...of hobbits and the Shire.
...'The Shire—he may be seeking for it now... ...Indeed, Frodo, I fear that he may even think that the long-unnoticed name of Baggins has become important.'
...'But this is terrible!' cried Frodo. 'Far worse than the worst that I imagined, from your hints and warnings. O Gandalf, best of friends, what am I to do...? ...What a pity that Bilbo did not stab that vile creature, when he had a chance!'
...'Pity? It was Pity that stayed his hand. Pity, and Mercy not to strike without need. And he has been well rewarded Frodo. Be sure that he took so little hurt from the evil, and escaped in the end, because he began his ownership of the Ring so. With Pity.'
...'I am sorry,' said Frodo. 'But I am frightened; and I do not feel any pity for Gollum... ...He deserves death.'...'Deserves it! I daresay he does. Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends. I have not much hope that Gollum can be cured before he dies, but there is a chance... ...he is bound up with the fate of the Ring. My heart tells me that he has some part to play yet, for good or ill... ...and when that comes, the pity of Bilbo may rule the fate of many....'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 14 2015, 9:20am

Post #13 of 23 (2509 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some MORE BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a continuation on the Book Spoiler of Gandalf and Frodo's discussion... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) (continued) pt. 3
1. Gandalf and Frodo at Bag End.
(from the appendices)
..."Frodo drew the Ring out of his pocket again and looked at it. It now appeared plain and smooth, without mark or device that he could see. The gold looked very fair and pure, and Frodo thought how rich and beautiful was its colour, how perfect was its roundness... ...When he took it out he had intended to fling it from him into the very hottest part of the fire. But he found now that he could not do so, not without a great struggle... ...hesitating, and forcing himself to remember all that Gandalf had told him... ...with an effort of will he made a movement, as if to cast it away---but he found that he had put it back in his pocket.
...Gandalf laughed grimly. 'You see? Already you too, Frodo, cannot easily let it go, nor will to damage it. And I could not "make" you---except by force, which would break your mind.'
...'Your small fire... ...would not melt even ordinary gold. This Ring has already passed through it unscathed, and even unheated.... ...It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough... ...who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself.
...'There is only one way: to find the Cracks of Doom in the depths of Orodruin... ...and cast the Ring in there, if you really wish to destroy it, to put it beyond the grasp of the Enemy for ever.'
...'I do really wish to destroy it!' cried Frodo. 'Or, well, to have it destroyed. I am not made for perilous quests. I wish I had never seen the Ring! Why did it come to me? Why was I chosen...?'
...'...You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.'
...'But I have so little of any of these things! You are wise and powerful. Will you not take the Ring?'
...'No!' cried Gandalf, springing to his feet. 'With that power I should have power too great and terrible. And over me the Ring would gain a power still greater and more deadly... ...Do not tempt me! For I do not wish to become like the Dark Lord himself. Yet the way of the Ring to my heart is by pity, pity for weakness and the desire of strength to do good... ...I dare not take it, not even to keep it safe, unused. The wish to wield it would be too great for my strength. I shall have such need of it. Great perils lie before me.'
...He went to the window and drew aside the curtains and the shutters. Sunlight streamed back again into the room. Sam passed along the path outside whistling. 'And now,' said the wizard... ...'the decision lies with you. But I will always help you.' He laid his hand on Frodo's shoulder. 'I will help you bear this burden, as long as it is yours to bear. But we must do something, soon. The Enemy is moving.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 15 2015, 9:18am

Post #14 of 23 (2489 views)
Shortcut

Here's more Book Spoiler of that iconic meeting in Bag End with one more installment to follow... for a moment to Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) (continued) pt. 4
(from the appendices)
..."'Well!' said Gandalf at last. 'What are you thinking about? Have you decided what to do?'
...'No!' answered Frodo, coming back to himself... '...Or perhaps, yes. As far as I understand what you have said, I suppose I must keep the Ring and guard it... ...whatever it may do to me.'
...'Whatever it may do, it will be slow, slow to evil, if you keep it with that purpose,' said Gandalf.
...'I hope so,' said Frodo. 'But I hope that you may find some other better keeper soon. But in the meanwhile it seems that I am a danger... ...to all that live near me. I cannot keep the Ring and stay here. I ought to leave Bag End, leave the Shire, leave everything and go away.' He sighed.
...'I should like to save the Shire... ...though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.
...'Of course, I have sometimes thought of going away, but I imagined... ...a series of adventures like Bilbo's or better, ending in peace. But this would mean exile, a flight from danger into danger, drawing it after me. And I suppose I must go alone... ...But I feel very small, and very uprooted, and well---desperate. The Enemy is so strong and terrible.'
...He did not tell Gandalf, but as he was speaking a great desire to follow Bilbo flamed up in his heart---to follow Bilbo, and even perhaps to find him again... ...he could almost have run out there and then down the road without his hat, as Bilbo had done on a similar morning long ago....'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures... ...You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch. I hardly expected to get such an answer, not even from you. But Bilbo made no mistake in choosing his heir, though he little thought how important it would prove. I am afraid you are right. The Ring will not be able to stay hidden in the Shire much longer... ...you will have to go, and leave the name of Baggins behind you. That name will not be safe to have, outside the Shire or in the Wild."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 16 2015, 10:46am

Post #15 of 23 (2471 views)
Shortcut

Well... this is the last of our special series of Book Spoilers. We've had a fresh look at the quality of Frodo Baggins (and Sam)... for our moment of Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) (continued) pt. 5
(from the appendices)
..."Suddenly he stopped as if listening. Frodo became aware that all was very quiet, inside and outside. Gandalf crept to one side of the window. Then with a dart he sprang to the sill, and thrust a long arm out and downwards. There was a squawk, and up came Sam Gamgee's curly head hauled by one ear.
...'Well, well, bless my beard!' said Gandalf. 'Sam Gamgee is it? Now what may you be doing?'
...'Lor bless you, Mr. Gandalf, sir!' said Sam. 'Nothing! ...I was just trimming the grass-border under the window, if you follow me.' He picked up the shears and exhibited them as evidence.
...'I don't,' said Gandalf grimly. 'It is some time since I last heard the sound of your shears. How long have you been eavesdropping?'
...'Eavesdropping, sir? ...begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact.'
...'Don't be a fool! What have you heard, and why did you listen?' Gandalf's eyes flashed and his brows stuck out like bristles.
...'Mr. Frodo, sir!' cried Sam quaking. 'Don't let him hurt me, sir! Don't let him turn me into anything unnatural! My old dad would take on so. I meant no harm, on my honour, sir!'
...'He won't hurt you,' said Frodo, hardly able to keep from laughing, although he was himself startled and rather puzzled. 'He knows... ...that you mean no harm. But just you up and answer his questions straight away!'
...'Well, sir,' said Sam, dithering a little. 'I heard a deal that I didn't rightly understand, about an enemy, and rings, and Mr. Bilbo, sir, and dragons, and a fiery mountain, and—and Elves, sir. I listened because I couldn't help myself, if you know what I mean. Lor bless me, sir, but I do love tales of that sort. And I believe them too, whatever Ted may say. Elves, sir! I would dearly love to see them. Couldn't you take me to see Elves, sir, when you go?'
...Suddenly Gandalf laughed. 'Come inside!' he shouted, and... ...he lifted the astonished Sam, shears, grass-clippings and all, right through the window and stood him on the floor. 'Take you to see Elves, eh?' he said, eyeing Sam closely, but with a smile flickering on his face. 'So you heard that Mr. Frodo is going away?'
...'I did, sir. And that's why I choked: which you heard seemingly. I tried not to, sir, but it burst out of me: I was so upset.'
...'It can't be helped Sam,' said Frodo sadly. He had suddenly realized that flying from the Shire would mean more painful partings than merely saying farewell to the familiar comforts of Bag End. 'I shall have to go. But'---and here he looked hard at Sam---'if you really care about me, you will keep that dead secret. See? ...if you even breathe a word of what you've heard here, then I hope Gandalf will turn you into a spotted toad and fill the garden full of grass-snakes.'
...Sam fell on his knees, trembling. 'Get up, Sam!' said Gandalf. 'I have thought of something better than that. Something to shut your mouth, and punish you properly for listening. You shall go away with Mr. Frodo!'...'Me, sir!' cried Sam, springing up like a dog invited for a walk. 'Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray!' he shouted, and then burst into tears."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 18 2015, 1:27am

Post #16 of 23 (2432 views)
Shortcut

Here's a Book Spoiler of one of my favourite moments between Pippin and Gandalf... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Siege of Gondor: The Return of the King

"All now took leave of the Lord of the City and went to rest while they still could. Outside there was a starless blackness as Gandalf, with Pippin beside him bearing a small torch, made his way to their lodging. They did not speak until they were behind closed doors. Then at last Pippin took Gandalf's hand.
'Tell me… …is there any hope? For Frodo, I mean; or at least mostly for Frodo.'
Gandalf put his hand on Pippin's head. 'There never was much hope… …Just a fool's hope, as I have been told. And when I heard of Cirith Ungol---' He broke off and strode to the window, as if his eyes could pierce the night in the East. 'Cirith Ungol!' he muttered. 'Why that way, I wonder?' He turned. 'Just now, Pippin, my heart almost failed me, hearing that name. And yet in truth I believe that the news that Faramir brings has some hope in it. For it seems clear that our Enemy has opened his war at last and made the first move while Frodo was still free… …for many days he will have his eye turned this way and that, away from his own land. And yet, Pippin, I feel from afar his haste and fear. He has begun sooner than he would. Something has happened to stir him.'
Gandalf stood for a moment in thought. 'Maybe,' he muttered. 'Maybe even your foolishness helped, my lad… …some five days ago now he would discover that we had thrown down Saruman, and had taken the Stone. Still what of that? We could not use it to much purpose, or without his knowing. Ah! I wonder. Aragorn? His time draws near. And he is strong and stern underneath… …bold, determined, able to take his own counsel and dare great risks at need. That may be it. He may have used the Stone and shown himself to the Enemy, challenging him, for this very purpose. I wonder. Well, we shall not know the answer till the Riders of Rohan come, if they do not come too late. There are evil days ahead. To sleep while we may!'
'But,' said Pippin.
'But what?' said Gandalf. 'Only one but will I allow tonight.'
'Gollum… …How on earth could they be going about with him, even following him? And I could see that Faramir did not like the place he was taking them to any more than you do. What is wrong?' 'I cannot answer that now… …Yet my heart guesses that Frodo and Gollum would meet before the end. For good, or for evil. But of Cirith Ungol I will not speak tonight. Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature. But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend. It can be so, sometimes. Good night!'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 18 2015, 8:40am

Post #17 of 23 (2420 views)
Shortcut

Here's a Book Spoiler that looks at how Black Riders interact with Shire-folk… for a moment to Tolkien-zen.

From Three Is Company: The Fellowship of the Ring

"'There are some Men about,' said Frodo. 'Down in the Southfarthing they have had trouble with Big people, I believe. But I have never heard of anything like this rider. I wonder where he comes from.'
'Begging your pardon,' put in Sam suddenly, 'I know where he comes from. It's from Hobbiton that this here black rider comes, unless there's more than one. And I know where he's going to.'
'What do you mean?' said Frodo sharply, looking at him in astonishment. 'Why didn't you speak up before?'
'I have only just remembered, sir. It was like this: when I got back to our hole yesterday evening with the key, my dad, he says to me: Hallo, Sam! he says. I thought you were away with Mr. Frodo this morning. There's been a strange customer asking for Mr. Baggins of Bag End, and he's only just gone. I've sent him on to Bucklebury. Not that I liked the sound of him. He seemed mighty put out, when I told him Mr. Baggins had left his old home for good. Hissed at me, he did. It gave me quite a shudder… … he wasn't' a hobbit. He was tall and black-like, and he stooped over me. I reckon it was one of the Big Folk from foreign parts. He spoke funny.
'I couldn't stay to hear more, sir, since you were waiting; and I didn't give much heed to it myself. The Gaffer is getting old, and more than a bit blind, and it must have been near dark when this fellow come up the Hill and found him taking the air at the end of our Row…'"
AND THEN

From A Shortcut to Mushrooms: The Fellowship of the Ring

"'There are some funny things going on today. Of course, we do get queer folk wandering in these parts at times… …[Farmer Maggot] said, shaking his head. 'But this fellow was the most outlandish I have ever set eyes on. He won't cross my land without leave a second time, not if I can stop it...
…He went up the lane towards the causeway not a long while back. He was a funny customer and asking funny questions… …What do you think that funny customer asked me…?'
'…Well,' the farmer continued, approaching his point with slow relish, 'he came riding on a big black horse in at the gate, which happened to be open, and right up to my door. All black he was himself, too, and cloaked and hooded up, as if he did not want to be known. "Now what in the Shire can he want?" I thought to myself. We don't see many of the Big Folk over the border; and anyway I had never heard of any like this black fellow.
'"Good-day to you!" I says, going out to him. "This lane don't lead anywhere, and wherever you may be going, your quickest way will be back to the road." I didn't like the looks of him; and when Grip came out, he took one sniff and let out a yelp as if he had been stung: he put down his tail and bolted off howling. The black fellow sat quite still.
'"I come from yonder," he said, slow and stiff-like, pointing back west, over my fields, if you please. "Have you seen Baggins?" he asked in a queer voice, and bent down towards me. I could not see any face, for his hood fell down so low; and I felt a sort of shiver down my back. But I did not see why he should come riding over my land so bold.
'"Be off… … There are no Bagginses here. You're in the wrong part of the Shire. You had better go back west to Hobbiton--but you can go by road this time."
'"Baggins has left," he answered in a whisper. "He is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold."
'"No you won't… …You'll go back where you belong, double quick. I give you one minute before I call all my dogs." 'He gave a short hiss. It might have been laughing, and it might not. Then he spurred his great horse right at me, and I jumped out of the way only just in time. I called the dogs, but he swung off, and rode through the gate and up the lane towards the causeway like a bolt of thunder….'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 19 2015, 11:27am

Post #18 of 23 (2407 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 19 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 19, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Conspirators at work.
(determined from text)
...[Pippin tells about how the Conspirators organized and watched over Frodo] ”'…obviously you have been planning to go and saying farewell to all your haunts all this year since April. We have constantly heard you muttering: "Shall I ever look down into that valley again, I wonder", and things like that… …And all those close talks with Gandalf….'
...'…We have been terrified that you might give us the slip, and go off suddenly, all on your own like he did. Ever since this spring we have kept our eyes open, and done a good deal of planning on our own account. You are not going to escape so easily!' [said Merry]… …I have known about the existence of the Ring for years—before Bilbo went away… …I kept my knowledge to myself, till this Spring when things got serious. Then we formed our conspiracy; and as we were serious, too, and meant business, we have not been too scrupulous. You are not a very easy nut to crack, and Gandalf is worse...
......[Sam was] our chief investigator... ...our collector of information! And he collected a lot, I can tell you, before he was finally caught. After which, I may say, he seemed to regard himself as on parole, and dried up.'”

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 20 2015, 9:44am

Post #19 of 23 (2341 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 20 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 20, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf and Frodo enjoy the comforts of Bag End.
...Now that the decision had been made to take the Ring out of the Shire, Frodo felt strangely displaced as he considered all the changes in his life by leaving Hobbiton, Bag End, and his friends. His greatest comfort was knowing that Sam was in on the plan and would be his companion into exile.
...Gandalf watched his friend closely as Frodo busied himself with his daily routine. While the wizard always felt renewed from his visits, he knew it was about to come to an end. The impact the Quest was already having on Frodo saddened him. Life for the Bagginses at Bag End would never be the same. Yet he held onto the hope that Rivendell could hold some new counsel that would spare Frodo. So these exceptional friends enjoyed each day and avoided the subject of the Ring for as long as they could.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 21 2015, 10:30am

Post #20 of 23 (2304 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 21 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 21, 2841 (S.R. 1241)
1. Thráin leaves to reclaim the Lonely Mountain.
(determined from text)
[Gandalf explains to Thorin]""...Thráin your father went away on the twenty-first of April, a hundred years ago last Thursday, and has never been seen by you since--"

April 21, 2850 (S.R. 1250)
1. Gandalf returns to Dol Guldur and learns that the evil presence is Sauron. Gandalf finds Thráin in the dungeon and receives the map and key of the Lonely Mountain from him.
(determined from text)
...""I did not 'get hold of it, I was given it," said the wizard. "Your grandfather Thror was killed, you remember, in the mines of Moria by Azog the Goblin..."
..."...And Thráin your father went away… …a hundred years ago…”
..."…True, true," said Thorin.
..."…your father gave me this to give to you… …if I have chosen my own time and way of handing it over, you can hardly blame me, considering the trouble I had to find you. Your father could not remember his own name… …and he never told me yours; so on the whole I think I ought to be praised and thanked. Here it is," said he handing the map to Thorin.
..."I don't understand," said Thorin…
..."…Your grandfather," said the wizard slowly and grimly, "gave the map to his son for safety before he went to the mines of Moria. Your father went away to try his luck with the map after your grandfather was killed… …but he never got near the Mountain. How he got there I don't know, but I found him a prisoner in the dungeons of the Necromancer.""

April 21, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. Bilbo and Gandalf reach the old goblin stronghold that led Bilbo to the Ring.
(determined from text)
..."At last they came up the long road, and reached the very pass where the goblins had captured them before… …and looking backward they saw a white sun shining over the outstretched lands. There behind lay Mirkwood, blue in the distance, and darkly green at the nearer edge even in the spring. There… …was the Lonely Mountain on the edge of eyesight. On its highest peak snow yet unmelted was gleaming pale.
..."So comes snow after fire, and even dragons have their ending!" said Bilbo, and he turned his back on his adventure. The Tookish part was getting very tired, and the Baggins was daily getting stronger. "I wish now only to be in my own arm-chair!"”

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 21 2015, 2:33pm

Post #21 of 23 (2294 views)
Shortcut
Funny thing about Thráin's disappearance. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Today in Middle-earth

April 21, 2841 (S.R. 1241)
1. Thráin leaves to reclaim the Lonely Mountain.
(determined from text)
[Gandalf explains to Thorin]""...Thráin your father went away on the twenty-first of April, a hundred years ago last Thursday, and has never been seen by you since--”

I apologize if I've brought this up in previous editions of this topic, but I have to wonder if Gandalf was using a dwarvish calendar here. We know that this can be attributed to the notion that Tolkien did not invent the Shire calendar until he wrote The Lord of the Rings, but under the Shire Reckoning, April 21 would have fallen on a Friday, not on a Thursday. This is a small thing, but one wonders why the Professor did not make a correction here when he re-wrote other portions of The Hobbit. Then again, we could also ask why he never corrected the descrepency in the birth-order of Fili and Kili between TH and the LotR Appendices.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 22 2015, 9:43am

Post #22 of 23 (2247 views)
Shortcut
*shakes head dramatically* [In reply to] Can't Post

Given the Good Professors love of details... I wonder if he 1) didn't notice; 2) left discrepancies for us to catch; or 3) just didn't give a rip!!!! ;) GOOD CATCHES! I'm going to add these notes to my TIME notes :)

Thanks so much O-s!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 22 2015, 9:44am

Post #23 of 23 (2253 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Some Earthly BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a collection of BS (Book Spoilers) of our amazing Middle-earth to celebrate Earth Day… for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

A Shortcut to Mushrooms

..."In the morning Frodo woke refreshed. He was lying in a bower made by a living tree with branches laced and drooping to the ground; his bed was of fern and grass, deep and soft and strangely fragrant. The sun was shining through the fluttering leaves, which were still green upon the tree."

In the house of Tom Bombadil

...[Goldberry speaks] "'He is the Master of wood, water, and hill.'
...'Then all this strange land belongs to him?'
...'No indeed!' she answered, and her smile faded. 'That would indeed be a burden,' she added in a low voice, as if to herself. 'The trees and the grasses and all things growing or living in the land belong each to themselves.…'

...…A door opened and in came Tom Bombadil. He had now no hat and his thick brown hair was crowned with autumn leaves. He laughed, and going to Goldberry, took her hand.
...'Here's my pretty lady!' he said, bowing to the hobbits. 'Here's my Goldberry clothed all in silver-green with flowers in her girdle! Is the table laden? I see yellow cream and honeycomb, and white bread, and butter; milk, cheese, and green herbs and ripe berries gathered. Is that enough for us? Is the supper ready?'"

..."[Tom] told them many remarkable stories, sometimes half as if speaking to himself, sometimes looking at them suddenly with a bright blue eye under his deep brows… …He told them tales of bees and flowers, the ways of trees, and the strange creatures of the Forest, about evil things and good things, things friendly and things unfriendly, cruel things and kind things, and secrets hidden under brambles.
...As they listened, they began to understand the lives of the Forest, apart from themselves, indeed to feel themselves as the strangers where all other things were at home…."

..."…It was not called the Old Forest without reason, for it was indeed ancient, a survivor of vast forgotten woods; and in it there lived yet, ageing no quicker than the hills, the fathers of the fathers of trees, remembering times when they were lords. The countless years had filled them with pride and rooted wisdom, and with malice."

Lothlórien

..."'Come with me, Frodo!' cried [Gimli], springing from the road. 'I would not have you go without seeing Kheled-zâram.' He ran down the long green slope. Frodo followed slowly, drawn by the still blue water… …Sam came up behind.
...Beside the standing stone Gimli halted and looked up. It was cracked and weather-worn, and the faint runes upon its side could not be read. 'This pillar marks the spot where Durin first looked in the Mirrormere… …Let us look ourselves once, ere we go!'
...They stooped over the dark water. At first they could see nothing. Then slowly they saw the forms of the encircling mountains mirrored in a profound blue, and the peaks were like plumes of white flame above them; beyond there was a space of sky. There like jewels sunk in the deep shone glinting stars, though sunlight was in the sky above. Of their own stooping forms no shadow could be seen."

..."'Here is Nimrodel!' said Legolas. 'Of this stream the Silvan Elves made many songs long ago, and still we sing them in the North, remembering the rainbow on its falls, and the golden flowers that floated in the foam… …I will bathe my feet, for it is said that the water is healing to the weary.' He went forward and climbed down the deep-cloven bank and stepped into the stream.
...'Follow me!' he cried. 'The water is not deep. Let us wade across! On the further bank we can rest, and the sound of the falling water may bring us sleep and forgetfulness of grief.'
...One by one they climbed down… …For a moment Frodo stood near the brink and let the water flow over his tired feet. It was cold but its touch was clean, and as he went on and it mounted to his knees, he felt that the stain of travel and all weariness was washed from his limbs.
...When all the Company had crossed, they sat and rested and ate a little food… …Legolas told them tales… …of sunlight and starlight upon the meadows by the Great River before the world was grey.
...At length a silence fell, and they heard the music of the waterfall running sweetly in the shadows. Almost Frodo fancied that he could hear a voice singing, mingled with the sound of the water."

..."The others cast themselves down upon the fragrant grass, but Frodo stood awhile still lost in wonder. It seemed to him that he had stepped through a high window that looked on a vanished world. A light was upon it for which his language had no name. All that he saw was shapely, but the shapes seemed at once clear cut, as if they had been first conceived and drawn at the uncovering of his eyes… … He saw no colour but those he knew, gold and white and blue and green, but they were fresh and poignant, as if he had at that moment first perceived them and made for them names new and wonderful. In winter here no heart could mourn for summer or for spring. No blemish or sickness or deformity could be seen in anything that grew upon the earth. On the land of Lórien there was no stain…"

..."...As Frodo prepared to follow... ...he laid his hand upon the tree beside the ladder: never before had he been so suddenly and so keenly aware of the feel and texture of a tree's skin and of the life within it. He felt a delight in wood and the touch of it, neither as forester nor as carpenter; it was the delight of the living tree itself."

Many Partings

...[As Merry and Pippin look out on Fangorn] "This shaggy old forest looked so different in the sunlight. I almost felt I liked the place.'
...'Almost felt you liked the Forest! That's good! That's uncommonly kind of you,' said a strange voice. 'Turn round and let me have a look at your faces. I almost feel that I dislike you both, but do not let us be hasty. Turn round!' A large knob-knuckled hand was laid on each of their shoulders, and they were twisted round, gently but irresistibly; then two great arms lifted them up.
...They found that they were looking at a most extraordinary face. It belonged to a large Man-like, almost Troll-like, figure, at least fourteen feet high, very sturdy, with a tall head, and hardly any neck. Whether it was clad in stuff like green and grey bark, or whether that was its hide, was difficult to say… …the arms, at a short distance from the trunk, were not wrinkled, but covered with a brown smooth skin. The large feet had seven toes each. The lower part of the long face was covered with a sweeping grey beard, bushy, almost twiggy at the roots, thin and mossy at the ends. But at the moment the hobbits noted little but the eyes. These deep eyes were now surveying them, slow and solemn, but very penetrating. They were brown, shot with a green light… …Pippin tried to describe his first impression of them.
...'One felt as if there was an enormous well behind them, filled up with ages of memory and long, slow, steady thinking; but their surface was sparkling with the present: like sun shimmering on the outer leaves of a vast tree, or on the ripples of a very deep lake. I don't know, but it felt as if something that grew in the ground—asleep… …or just feeling itself as something between root-tip and leaf-tip, between deep earth and sky--and suddenly waked up, and was considering you with the same slow care that it had given to its own inside affairs for endless years.'"

Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

...[The Earth reclaims the land] "…Gollum led them down onto the southward road; and after that they went on more quickly….
...…The road had been made in a long lost time, and for perhaps thirty miles below the Morannon it had been newly repaired, but as it went south the wild encroached upon it. The handiwork of Men of old could still be seen in its straight sure flight and level course: now and again it cut its way through hillside slopes, or leaped over a stream upon a wide shapely arch of enduring masonry; but at last all signs of stonework faded, save for a broken pillar here and there, peering out of the bushes at the side, or old paving-stones still lurking amid weeds and moss. Heather and trees and bracken scrambled down and overhung the banks, or sprawled out over the surface. It dwindled at last to a country cart-road little used..."

...[Frodo, Sam and Gollum] "...passed into the northern marches of that land that Men once called Ithilien, a fair country of climbing woods and swift-falling streams. The night became fine under star and round moon, and it seemed to the hobbits that the fragrance of the air grew as they went forward… …Now they climbed up the westward bank and looked abroad.
...Day was opening in the sky, and they saw that the mountains were now much further off, receding eastward in a long curve that was lost in the distance… …All about them were small woods of resinous trees, fir and cedar and cypress, and other kinds unknown in the Shire, with wide glades among them; and everywhere there was a wealth of sweet-smelling herbs and shrubs… …Here Spring was already busy about them: fronds pierced moss and mold, larches were green-fingered, small flowers were opening in the turf, birds were singing. Ithilien, the garden of Gondor now desolate, kept still a disheveled dryad loveliness.
...South and west it looked towards the warm lower vales of Anduin, shielded from the east by the Ephel Dúath… …protected from the north by the Emyn Muil, open to the southern airs and the moist winds from the Sea far away. Many great trees grew there, planted long ago, falling into untended age amid a riot of careless descendants; and groves and thickets there were of tamarisk and pungent terebinth, of olive and of bay; and there were junipers and myrtles; and thymes that grew in bushes, or with their woody creeping stems mantled in deep tapestries and hidden stones; sages of many kinds putting forth blue flowers, or red, or pale green; and marjorams and new-sprouting parsleys, and many herbs of forms and scents beyond the garden-lore of Sam. The grots and rocky walls were already starred with saxifrages and stonecrops. Primeroles and anemones were awake in the filbert-brakes; and asphodel and many lily-flowers nodded their half-opened heads in the grass: deep green grass beside the pools, where falling streams halted in cool hollows on their journey down to Anduin.
...The travellers turned their backs on the road and went downhill. As they walked, brushing their way through bush and herb, sweet odours rose about them… …the hobbits breathed deep, and suddenly Sam laughed, for heart's ease…"

..."Then came the voice of Faramir close behind. 'Let them see!' he said. The scarves were removed and their hoods drawn back, and they blinked and gasped.
...[Frodo and Sam] stood on a wet floor of polished stone, the doorstep, as it were, of a rough-hewn gate of rock opening dark behind them. But in front a thin veil of water was hung, so near that Frodo could have put an outstretched arm into it. It faced westward. The level shafts of the setting sun behind beat upon it, and the red light was broken into many flickering beams of ever-changing colour. It was as if they stood at the window of some elven-tower, curtained with threaded jewels of silver and gold, and ruby, sapphire and amethyst, all kindled with an unconsuming fire.
...'At least by good chance we came at the right hour to reward you for your patience,' said Faramir. 'This is the Window of the Sunset, Henneth Annûn, fairest of all the falls of Ithilien, land of many fountains…'"

The Scouring of the Shire

..."The trees were the worst loss and damage, for at Sharkey's bidding they had been cut down recklessly far and wide over the Shire; and Sam grieved over this more than anything else. For one thing, this hurt would take long to heal, and only his great-grandchildren… …would see the Shire as it ought to be.
...Then suddenly one day… …he remembered the gift of Galadriel. He brought the box out and showed it to the other Travellers (for so they were now called by everyone), and asked their advice.
...'I wondered when you would think of it,' said Frodo. 'Open it!'
...Inside it was filled with a grey dust, soft and fine, in the middle of which was a seed, like a small nut with a silver shale. 'What can I do with this...? ...I'm sure the Lady would not like me to keep it all for my own garden, now so many folk have suffered,' said Sam.
...'Use all the wits and knowledge you have of your own, Sam,' said Frodo, 'and then use the gift to help your work and better it. And use it sparingly. There is not much here, and I expect every grain has a value.'
...So Sam planted saplings in all the places where specially beautiful or beloved trees had been destroyed, and he put a grain of the precious dust in the soil at the root of each. He went up and down the Shire in this labour; but if he paid special attention to Hobbiton and Bywater no one blamed him. And at the end he found that he still had a little of the dust left; so he went to the Three-Farthing Stone, which is as near to the centre of the Shire... …and cast it in the air with his blessing. The little silver nut he planted in the Party Field where the tree had once been; and he wondered what would come of it. All through the winter he remained as patient as he could, and tried to restrain himself from going round constantly to see if anything was happening.
...Spring surpassed his wildest hopes. His trees began to sprout and grow, as if time was in a hurry and wished to make one year do for twenty. In the Party field, a beautiful young sapling leaped up: it had silver bark and long leaves and burst into golden flowers in April. It was indeed a mallorn, and it was the wonder of the neighbourhood… …it grew in grace and beauty… …the only mallorn west of the Mountains and east of the Sea; and one of the finest in the world."

The Last Debate

...[Gandalf] "It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.