The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How loyal are the orcs to Azog?

boldog
Rohan

Apr 15 2015, 8:39am

Post #1 of 19 (1455 views)
Shortcut
How loyal are the orcs to Azog? Can't Post

We see in the books and films that they tend to loathe their masters.
The witch king, Saruman, Sauron, and Morgoth. Who merely use them for the benefit of their own desires, not for the orcs desires.

But how would they feel following a powerful Orc like Azog? None would really dare to challenge him, as they usually do to eachother, for he will just do a yazneg to them Tongue.
Perhaps they see a fellow Orc fighting more for their causes rather than a selfish desire of dominion. Kind of like Azog is the Aragorn of the Orcs!

I wish we got a scene of the Orcs talking about Azogs leadership. Then we would see what think.

Do you reckon the Orcs would Loathe Azog or follow him willingly.

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

(This post was edited by boldog on Apr 15 2015, 8:40am)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 15 2015, 9:01am

Post #2 of 19 (1400 views)
Shortcut
depends on the orc [In reply to] Can't Post

After witnessing what Azog did to Yazneg, I bet Fimbul followed Azog out of fear and maybe he loathed him. But maybe that was already the case even before Yazneg's death. Narzug on the other hand seemed more genuinely loyal to Azog.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 9:49am

Post #3 of 19 (1397 views)
Shortcut
I'd say they aren't [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's orcs don't do loyalty. They do fear and self interest.

Seaber
Rivendell

Apr 15 2015, 10:16am

Post #4 of 19 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Yup [In reply to] Can't Post

Think Shagrat and Gorbag talking after they capture Frodo, they plan on leaving Sauron's services and start out on their own. Then promptly start on each other.

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 15 2015, 12:11pm

Post #5 of 19 (1357 views)
Shortcut
PJ's orcs maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

For Tolkien, Bolg avenging Azog's death and the orcs avenging the Great Goblin, I think is done out of respect more than fear.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 12:27pm

Post #6 of 19 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Maybe, I don't know [In reply to] Can't Post

I would see that more as a tribal thing, and a hatred of those outside the tribe - you killed our leader, we kill you. I've never had the impression that Tolkien's orcs were anything other than a ruined and debased life-form. Respect, loyalty, selflessness - love, even - all the positive motivations seem to be the very antithesis of orcs - part of what they were, or might have been. Gandalf says at one point that he pities the enemy's servants, doesn't he? But pities them only - he doesn't try to reform them, or look for good in them, or give them a chance, presumably because he knows it's too late for that.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 15 2015, 12:40pm

Post #7 of 19 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Orcs respect strength and survival skills. [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog is powerful and he is able to stay on top even after being maimed and taking a devastating loss (perhaps closer to a draw, as the Dwarves don't retake Moria after the Battle of Azanulbizar either). He does become subservient to Sauron, but the Orcs should probably expect that as a matter of course.

Azog's son Bolg comes across as more of a thug; however, he might have been portrayed as a better leader if he had been given a more prominent role.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Apr 15 2015, 1:20pm

Post #8 of 19 (1319 views)
Shortcut
Considering... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Azog is practically a prototype for the Uruk-hai due to his size (ditto Bolg), I think he commanded a fair amount of respect from the other Orcs.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 3:10pm

Post #9 of 19 (1291 views)
Shortcut
I tend to think of prison and gang cultures when I think of the orcs...even pirates. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are prisoners/slaves to a large extent and if left to their own devices, are opportunistic and ruthless against their bretheren as they seem driven by base needs...food and blood lust. When a commander of sorts is present, they follow orders out of fear - either natural or instilled (Sauron, Saurman, Nazgul etc). Azog and Bolg are able to command based on both personal fear, personality (a more rare attribute of orcs) and knowledge that The Master is behind them. Do or die is the only option.

smtfhw
Lorien

Apr 16 2015, 9:48am

Post #10 of 19 (1135 views)
Shortcut
I Think [In reply to] Can't Post

That about sums it up very neatly. They're not about to take on something bigger and nastier than themselves.

squiggle
Rivendell

Apr 18 2015, 5:38am

Post #11 of 19 (1008 views)
Shortcut
Very Loyal to Azog, he is legendary Chieftan & defacto Orc Emperor of sorts [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why Azog resolved to wipe out the line of Durin, simply because they crossed his path and resisted his aims; so Azog being Azog he resolves to completely wipe out their line, there shall be no pretenders to the rule of Azog's dominion Cool

Azog's distinction is related to that he is not as closely connected to the line of Orc at that time in MiddleEarth, very much a late bloomer.

Within his immediate rule i think Azog could command legions of Orcs directly against Sauron such is his Orc lordship, but in general, Sauron would hold command over Orcs on mass.

I don't think it could of ever come to this, because Orcs in general are only very limited in the 'here and now' & even for Azog, this over-rides, although at times very grudingly, their own aims to greater base instinctual loyalties in ideological service to Sauron.

Azog the Defilier has doomed tragedy about him in this way more than the norm for an OrcFrown.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 18 2015, 4:13pm

Post #12 of 19 (974 views)
Shortcut
I cannot see Azog taking any independent action against Sauron and [In reply to] Can't Post

cannot fathom a rebellion. Their will is entirely bent to his means. Any flash of independence is illusory - such as the Great Goblin being left to his own devices - however, if Sauron calls he comes running.

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Apr 18 2015, 11:15pm

Post #13 of 19 (944 views)
Shortcut
The movie disagrees... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because in the movie, Azog clearly states to Sauron that he is not happy with the Dark Lord's decisions; ''you promised me his head''.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 3:20am

Post #14 of 19 (929 views)
Shortcut
That is the movie, a PJ/Boyens invention. [In reply to] Can't Post

But even in the movie, Azog obeys.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 19 2015, 3:20am)

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Apr 19 2015, 8:25am

Post #15 of 19 (918 views)
Shortcut
And this section is called... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Movie Discussion: The Hobbit.

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 2:03pm

Post #16 of 19 (907 views)
Shortcut
Read the initial post....books and movies. [In reply to] Can't Post

"How loyal are the orcs to Azog?
Quote | Reply To This Post
We see in the books and films that they tend to loathe their masters. "

The post is not focused on the movies, even if in the movie section.

It is important to make the distinction between Tolkien's creation and Peter Jackson's interpretation, additions and changes.

Any "what ifs" draw on what is known from Tolkien's works.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 19 2015, 2:05pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 3:07pm

Post #17 of 19 (888 views)
Shortcut
If we are talking books, then Tolkien suggests the original statement is correct. [In reply to] Can't Post

And that, provided their master's* will was not directly focused upon them, the orcs felt hatred towards him and that they were under his tyranny.

* Specifically Morgoth, but we can't imagine that Sauron was more capable.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 19 2015, 3:23pm

Post #18 of 19 (886 views)
Shortcut
That does not mean they could revolt. One can hate the master but not be able [In reply to] Can't Post

to act on it. As indicated, they were ruled by fear...which would lead to hate....but they know they cannot rebel.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 19 2015, 3:29pm

Post #19 of 19 (881 views)
Shortcut
Well, they could. [In reply to] Can't Post

There isn't anything inherently preventing that, it is just difficult to imagine a practical situation where Morgoth or Sauron would have been sufficiently distracted as to allow that situation to occur.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.