The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Gardening/fruit question for NZ folks, particularly

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 14 2015, 10:49pm

Post #1 of 6 (223 views)
Shortcut
Gardening/fruit question for NZ folks, particularly Can't Post

Anyone grow or eat either Luisa plum or Reka blueberry? I have my eye on these NZ cultivars and figured hey, I know some folks that might know firsthand.

Luisa is a fairly new plum - found as a singular tree in a garden in Nelson Street, Hamilton, from what I have read about it. Reka does well by you, and as I am maritime and of similar climate I wondered if anyone tasted /grew it.

Thanks all! Cool

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 14 2015, 11:05pm

Post #2 of 6 (208 views)
Shortcut
I don't know about those specific cultivars, however... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can give some general information.

According to my local garden centre, some plum trees are becoming less likely to produce fruit (such as the Hawera Plum that I have). Whatever plum you get, talk with your garden centre about also getting a good companion plum for cross-pollination, to improve the chances of your tree(s) fruiting.

I'm about to pull out my blueberry bushes because they don't fruit well (the spot they're in is too dry), and the biggest plant is sending out runners like nobody's business. I don't know if that's just what blueberry plants do or if this plant is spreading out in an attempt to find more water, so talk with your garden centre about whether the Reka is happy to sit in one spot or if it will try to invade other areas.

If you want to talk with an NZ garden centre about these specific cultivars, try emailing Palmers Garden World at onlinesupport@palmers.co.nz.

Good luck!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 14 2015, 11:11pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 14 2015, 11:28pm

Post #3 of 6 (201 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ataahua! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Luisa will likely do OK for pollen since I have 3 Japanese cultivars and two Euros (funny enough, for a while it seemed no one knew whether Luisa was Euro or Japanese. They seem to have settled on Japanese based on growth habits). Quite right - inadequate pollination is indeed a big reason for poor fruit set.

Yes, maybe your blues are dry; or pH unhappy. Mine are sunken in 29 gallon bottomless containers so that their crazy pH requirements are easier to maintain - so I wouldn't get any runners; but I also grow northern highbush varieties and I have never had them sucker. That's interesting that yours do - maybe that's a difference in the basic cultivar stock right there? I actually Googled it but from the sites I read on (which are largely American posters) its not a big phenomenon here.

So I think I will order the plum but wait on the blue (besides being tight on blueberry space...) It will be a few years to taste it but it looks like a real treat of a plum.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 16 2015, 6:49pm

Post #4 of 6 (164 views)
Shortcut
Read about your Hawera plum (it sounds yummy) [In reply to] Can't Post

as its not something I am familiar with here in the US - but it seems it would make good friends with my Santa Rosa!

You could always graft a branch from something like Santa Rosa to your Hawera to ensure pollination without needing a second tree. Or some people with single trees get a blossoming branch from something flowering at the same time and just stick it in a vase near the tree. That may help. Though wet springs seem to be an issue lately, in a number of places around the world, and that washes quality pollen away before the bees and company can do their work.

Ok, I will stop now. As a VERY clever friend (and you know who you are!) recently PM'd me: note to self. Never engage Brethil on the subject of trees. Laugh

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 16 2015, 8:34pm

Post #5 of 6 (155 views)
Shortcut
Can I introduce you to this guy? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am sure he would love to talk for hours...

Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 16 2015, 11:45pm

Post #6 of 6 (149 views)
Shortcut
Good idea, you clever bird. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.