http://www.blu-ray.com/...s-3D-Blu-ray/123354/

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Apr 14 2015, 2:37pm

Post #2 of 19 (2729 views)
Shortcut
The user who submitted the date [In reply to] Can't Post

Adds, in the comment/source field, "Based on extended edition releases of Hobbit Unexpected Journey and Desolation of Smaug", so it's just speculation.

Shagrat
Gondor

Apr 14 2015, 2:38pm

Post #3 of 19 (2724 views)
Shortcut
Just to say [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone can add entries on Blu-ray.com. I'd say that date was an educated guess rather than anything official.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 14 2015, 6:57pm

Post #4 of 19 (2542 views)
Shortcut
Uh...the runtime? [In reply to] Can't Post

It says the runtime is 144 minutes. The TE is 144 minutes.

Bernhardina
Rohan

Apr 14 2015, 7:21pm

Post #5 of 19 (2520 views)
Shortcut
This is the EE of all EEs [In reply to] Can't Post

It better be worth the wait!!!

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 15 2015, 7:31am

Post #6 of 19 (2224 views)
Shortcut
No other PJ movie ever needed an EE so badly. IMHO. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I hope they take all the time they need for the new scenes.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Apr 15 2015, 7:31am)

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 15 2015, 8:05am

Post #7 of 19 (2208 views)
Shortcut
hah [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care if the movie ends up on four hours. It needs fixing I agree Laugh

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 9:51am

Post #8 of 19 (2165 views)
Shortcut
I'd say it ain't broke, it's extremely good.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I'd like a whole lot more of it! Cool

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 9:59am

Post #9 of 19 (2145 views)
Shortcut
This! // [In reply to] Can't Post

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 15 2015, 11:34am

Post #10 of 19 (2115 views)
Shortcut
This... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No other PJ movie ever needed an EE so badly. IMHO

I couldn't agree more. I keep wondering, in regards to BOTFA, "what happened?" IMO the five Hobbit and LOTR films proceeding it were great. This last one however, though it is not horrible - it does have some great moments - is the weakest of the six.

I have more to say, but I have a child who will not let me finish my post. Crossing my fingers for the EE.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 15 2015, 12:48pm

Post #11 of 19 (2083 views)
Shortcut
Even Peter Jackson complained about the theatrical edit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson was pretty up-front about having to edit the theatrical cut of TH:BotFA much more tightly than he wanted. The end particularly suffered by skipping over too much between the end of the battle and Bilbo's departure from the Mountain. There was not enough closure for the side-stories and subplots, particularly those involving Bard and the survivors of Lake-town, Thranduil, Dain, and (of course) Thorin's funeral. According to the Visual Companion for the final film, Bilbo does not take his acorn back to Hobbiton but plants it in Dale instead. That might be nice to see.

The film is at least a little bit broken.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 15 2015, 12:51pm)

BalrogTrainer
Rivendell

Apr 15 2015, 1:17pm

Post #12 of 19 (2054 views)
Shortcut
I've always suspected... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that Warners imposed shorter runtimes for both the theatrical cuts of both DOS and BOTFA as a result of a knee-jerk reaction to the criticisms of the length of the theatrical ut of AUJ. Because of this, both of them got short-changed -- especially the latter. Thanks a lot, Warners. Crazy

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 1:19pm

Post #13 of 19 (2055 views)
Shortcut
I wasn't aware that he did, but in any case.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I stand by what I said. Far as I'm concerned the film I saw is good. Extremely good. I'd just like to see a lot more of it.

I saw nothing broken that needs fixing. Only a lot of gaps that could be filled, but that's a very different thing!

I can remember a lot of comments from Peter Jackson about it being tightly cut - pacing of a thriller and all that. I don't recall him saying that he had to cut it tightly and didn't want to - when was that?

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 15 2015, 1:24pm

Post #14 of 19 (2051 views)
Shortcut
He never said that [In reply to] Can't Post

This is another case of selective memory, in which people edit what they recall in order to match their own version of reality.
As for myself, this is the one M-e film that I expect I will sometimes return to the theatrical cut. Much as I am interested in seeing things like the funeral and other additions, I think the way this film is cut may well work better for my sensibilities in the long run. I love the focus on Bilbo and his relationship with Thorin.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 15 2015, 1:33pm

Post #15 of 19 (2041 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure I remember at least some dissatisfaction. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I recall correctly, Jackson did say at the time he was editing TH:BotFA that the extended edition of this final film would be the true cut (a position not taken with the previous movies). I am quite sure that he expressed that he was editing the movie more tightly than he would have preferred. My memory may not be completely accurate, but I am certain that I have the gist of it.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 15 2015, 2:19pm

Post #16 of 19 (2015 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, but no [In reply to] Can't Post

I guarantee that he never said that. You may have (mis)interpreted something that he said to mean that, but he never said that he edited the film more tightly than he wanted to, or that the EE would be "true cut" (though he did say that there would be things to look forward to in the EE).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 2:48pm

Post #17 of 19 (1992 views)
Shortcut
Do you mean the cuts that were made to keep the rating? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember reading an article tho I think it was a WETA person who was commenting - all the cuts that had to be made to keep the PG rating. So now I'm curious as to what was "so bad" - after all, these are ME movies.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 3:43pm

Post #18 of 19 (1944 views)
Shortcut
IIRC... [In reply to] Can't Post

... it had to do with "creative ways to kill orcs", something which I'm not particularly looking forward to seeing (expect if those scenes were also to include more Beorn in action).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 15 2015, 5:52pm

Post #19 of 19 (1875 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

It isn't worth an argument, especially if I can't find the reference.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.