Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Battle of the Five Armies: DVD different from theatrical version?

MEM
The Shire

Apr 12 2015, 8:45pm

Post #1 of 11 (2232 views)
Shortcut
Battle of the Five Armies: DVD different from theatrical version? Can't Post

*contains BotFA movie spoilers*

I've been watching the BotFA DVD, and I swear there are some differences from what I saw in the theater.

1). Thorin's death - when Bilbo looks at Thorin's wound, I could have sworn it actually showed the wound, with blood oozing. Bilbo reacts by looking shocked and ill. Yet on the DVD it just shows Bilbo's hand touching Thorin's shirt - no bleeding wound - and then goes directly to his reaction shot.

2). When the four dwarves are hiking from the lake toward Erebor - there's a wide angle shot of them, and it swings left to show Erebor in the distance, as well as Dale on the left. I could have sworn Dale was not in the theatrical edition - it was just mountains and the valley.

Anyone else notice these? Or is my mind going?

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 12 2015, 8:51pm

Post #2 of 11 (2168 views)
Shortcut
Those were both as they were on the DVD for me, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 12 2015, 9:52pm

Post #3 of 11 (2100 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

Both are in the theatrical. I remember both Wink

MEM
The Shire

Apr 13 2015, 12:36am

Post #4 of 11 (1989 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you mean you remember as it is on the DVD? (No wound oozing blood, then?)

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 13 2015, 12:55am

Post #5 of 11 (1980 views)
Shortcut
Nah [In reply to] Can't Post

Not as I recall no and I was looking close because I wondered just how much they would show and noted there weren't much at all. I don't have the dvd yet, but I don't think there would be a difference. Not until the EE anyway.

But Dale is seen when the four dwarves travel to Erebor.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 13 2015, 1:16pm

Post #6 of 11 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Memory is tricky [In reply to] Can't Post

I have remembered things in films that were not actually in the movie. Best example might be the original Star Wars. I read the novelization before seeing the movie; later I could have sworn that I remembered seeing the scene with Luke and his friend Biggs conversing on Tatooine. Didn't happen and the scene has not shown up even in later re-edits (the sequence is included, however, in the audio adaptation for radio).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 13 2015, 1:18pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 13 2015, 1:32pm

Post #7 of 11 (1698 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen the DVD yet.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But from memory I'd say that we didn't actually see Thorin's wound. What I remember (and memory can indeed be very tricky) is that we saw Bilbo look at the wound - presumably to attempt some sort of first aid - and the look on his face said that whatever he was seeing it was beyond his or anyone else's help.

I think that's what I saw. But whether I did or am just imagining that I did I won't know until I see the DVD...

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 13 2015, 8:42pm

Post #8 of 11 (1544 views)
Shortcut
The wound was shown in the movie, and it's on the DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

It's only brief, but it's there. I just had a look at my DVD and froze the scene, but I couldn't get a screencap.

Here is the shot.
(It was a bit clearer on mine, but you can still see it here). Straight after this is Bilbo's reaction shot.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 13 2015, 9:02pm

Post #9 of 11 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Ya, know? Now that we have the "ScreenCap Gallery" [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to our Ever-So-Lovely!... BlackFoxie,
much can be researched..

"Questions that need answerZZZ"..
are Right Before our EYEzz..iezz...

{Gollum}
Crazy

Not that DiZZZcussions AREn't
Ever-So-Lovely
TOO!

Whatzz... the Price of "Tators" in China?

Heart
bom

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

MEM
The Shire

Apr 14 2015, 11:16pm

Post #10 of 11 (1310 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the screencaps! But as I remember it, it was a quick closeup of the wound. As that shot is, the wound isn't as noticeable as I remember it.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just going crazy. Maybe in the theater the shot that's the screencap was just so much bigger and I thought it was the focus.

I remember back in 2003 some people said that some of the Elvish translations weren't subtitled in their theaters for ROTK. Is it possible to have two different version of a film sent out?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 8:48am

Post #11 of 11 (1254 views)
Shortcut
No close-up [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a bigger screen and better view.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.