The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Beorn

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 12 2015, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 12 (1449 views)
Shortcut
Beorn Can't Post

That scene where the dwarf´s is bowing over thorin´s body i think it will be replace with Beorn taking Thorin from the battle in EE.

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 12 2015, 4:41pm

Post #2 of 12 (1382 views)
Shortcut
I suppose we don't need to see the dwarves bowing over Thorin... [In reply to] Can't Post

If there's going to be a funeral scene, we can see it all there. Otherwise it's a bit like repeating information. Seeing them mourn him twice.

marary
Lorien

Apr 12 2015, 4:59pm

Post #3 of 12 (1369 views)
Shortcut
need a memory refreshment [In reply to] Can't Post

In the LOTR EEs, were there any scene that were in the theatrical that did NOT appear in the EE?

Just want to know what the precedent is. I doubt they would remove a scene that appeared in the theatrical.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 12 2015, 5:05pm

Post #4 of 12 (1361 views)
Shortcut
How 'bout TH:DoS? [In reply to] Can't Post

Precedents:

The Orc in Dol Guldur dropping down to attack Gandalf in TH:DoS is replaced in the extended edition with Thrain.

And we have the alterations to Smaug between the TH:AUJ theatrical cut and that extended edition.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 12 2015, 5:18pm

Post #5 of 12 (1350 views)
Shortcut
Lothlórien [In reply to] Can't Post

The Fellowship entered Lothlórien is different in the EE.

And i think it is still the same scene only instead of cgi dwarf bowing it will be Beorn in bear form and lifting up Thorin in the same angle as the theatrical and Bilbo still seeing it.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2015, 5:36pm

Post #6 of 12 (1338 views)
Shortcut
Beorn & Radagast are BOTH above the Waterfall [In reply to] Can't Post

When they attack the Gundabad orcs...on the Great Eagles...
above Ravenhill.

SSOoo...he could come down to that point
on the Frozen Waterfall
pick up Thorin &
with the Dwarves
descend to the entrance of Erebor.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Apr 12 2015, 5:36pm)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2015, 7:08pm

Post #7 of 12 (1268 views)
Shortcut
what orc? [In reply to] Can't Post

The shot with Thrain jumping down on Gandalf in the EE didn't have anyone jumping on him in the TE. It just showed Gandalf looking around while chanting before moving on.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 12 2015, 7:14pm

Post #8 of 12 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Huh. Trailer? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The shot with Thrain jumping down on Gandalf in the EE didn't have anyone jumping on him in the TE. It just showed Gandalf looking around while chanting before moving on.

I can't easily double-check because I only have the extended edition of DoS. Perhaps the alternate shot I am thinking of was used in a trailer?

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2015, 7:17pm

Post #9 of 12 (1262 views)
Shortcut
a few [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides Lothlorien, which was already brought up, there were a few shots and lines of dialogue during the scene with Gandalf and Frodo on the cart. That was a result of Bilbo's narration and the overall re-edit of that sequence.

And there's the alternate version of the dwarves losing the path in Mirkwood. Nori noticing the path has disappeared was replaced with Thorin choosing to leave the path and Bilbo telling them it's not a good idea, which I prefer.

There's a shot of some uruk-hai at Isengard in The Two Towers that's not in the EE because the accompanying line of Saruman's was moved.

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Apr 12 2015, 7:44pm

Post #10 of 12 (1234 views)
Shortcut
In DOS there's a change to Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

In the theatrical version, after he changes back into a man, there's a couple shots of Bilbo seeing him walk into the house.

In the EE, those shots are gone. Instead, it cuts straight from newly-transformed man Beorn to the horses running while he's chopping wood.

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 12 2015, 8:01pm

Post #11 of 12 (1215 views)
Shortcut
That's right. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the theatrical version, after he changes back into a man, there's a couple shots of Bilbo seeing him walk into the house.

In the EE, those shots are gone. Instead, it cuts straight from newly-transformed man Beorn to the horses running while he's chopping wood.

And in the EE we get a proper introduction to Beorn much like the one in the book.

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

Apr 13 2015, 7:40am

Post #12 of 12 (1043 views)
Shortcut
their reactions [In reply to] Can't Post

I hate we don't get to see their reactions for their leaders death, just little CGI scene where they bow. I think it would have worked to see battle being won, enemies cowering, dwarven company cheering, then huge figure comes from distance with Gandalf and Bilbo. Figure they see is Beorn carrying Thorin, maybe Fili and Kili too. First dwarves are happy to see ones who arrive but when they get closer horrible truth is revealed and we see them breaking down to tears, maybe we see Dain in huge shock and first time Bofur gets speechless.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.