The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Not sure how I feel about this but...

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 11 2015, 2:32pm

Post #1 of 11 (1172 views)
Shortcut
Not sure how I feel about this but... Can't Post

I realized while watching BOTFA that the music playing in the background when Kili says, "I will not hide behind a wall of stone while others fight our battle for us", is the same music playing during Fili's death scene.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 11 2015, 2:40pm

Post #2 of 11 (1128 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I notice it to. I like it, I think the music is haunting.And it has some connection between the brothers

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 11 2015, 2:47pm

Post #3 of 11 (1113 views)
Shortcut
ohhhh [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't notice that yet - thank you for calling it out. How sad Unsure. Where's that crying emote when I need it Unsure

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 11 2015, 3:02pm

Post #4 of 11 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Oh good, I wasn't dreaming... [In reply to] Can't Post

though I wish I was. But it works well for both scenes, and yes, it does connect them in a way. In the first instance you have Kili standing up to Thorin and in the second you have Fili making his last stand...per say. That probably doesn't make much sense, but that is how I see it.

marary
Lorien

Apr 11 2015, 3:06pm

Post #5 of 11 (1091 views)
Shortcut
The connection [In reply to] Can't Post

The first scene where it's used is Kili's last-ditch effort to get Thorin and the Company to join the battle.

The second scene is the beginning of the "result" of them joining the battle.

Not sure if that's what the filmmakers were thinking. Probably not much more than "emotionally intense heirs of Durin scene", but it's interesting.

Thanks for pointing it out!

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 11 2015, 3:17pm

Post #6 of 11 (1084 views)
Shortcut
So the song the plays when... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Thorin says "Durins don't flee from a fight" is the same as the one playing after Fili trying to flee at Ravenhill. There's a connection. Frown Ough my heart.

marary
Lorien

Apr 11 2015, 3:38pm

Post #7 of 11 (1061 views)
Shortcut
But Fili did NOT flee! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very importantly so! That's why he got caught. He tried to tell the others to flee, but did not do this himself.

Also, the aftermath of that scene is when both Thorin and Kili charge headlong into fighting.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 11 2015, 3:42pm

Post #8 of 11 (1055 views)
Shortcut
Not quite... [In reply to] Can't Post

the melody has already ended when Thorin says "...and Durin's do not flee from a fight."

Also another observation, the melody is the opening to "The Fallen" on the BOTFA soundtrack. "The Fallen" is also the name of the DVD/BR chapter where we see Fili and Kili in the tunnels of Ravenhill and Fili sends his brother a way. This scene ultimately leads to his death. This is speculation, but based in this I would say the piece was written for Fili's death and reused for Kili and Thorin's scene.

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 11 2015, 3:51pm

Post #9 of 11 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Very importantly so! That's why he got caught. He tried to tell the others to flee, but did not do this himself.

Also, the aftermath of that scene is when both Thorin and Kili charge headlong into fighting.

No I know! He was also told not to engage. But it's a word use I've seen many use. He tries to get out though and I hated using the would flee Laugh

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 11 2015, 5:17pm

Post #10 of 11 (985 views)
Shortcut
Thank you maray and Catherine B [In reply to] Can't Post

for pointing this out...

But Fili does NOT flee! Very importantly so! That's why he got caught. He tried to tell the others to flee, but did not do this himself.

No I know! He was also told not to engage. But it's a word use I've seen many use. He tries to get out though and I hated using the would flee Laugh

Yes, Fili does try to "flee" (I hate using that word too) but it's not the first time we see a Durin or anyone from the Company flee. In AUJ, the Company flees from Goblin Town. They flee from Azog and his minions soon after that, climbing into trees. In DOS they flee from Beorn-the-bear. In BOTFA Fili, Kili, Oin, and Bofur along with the rest of Lake-town (aside from Bard) flee from Smaug. In all these situations they flee because they know they don't have a fighting chance. The same happens with Fili in the tunnels of Ravenhill. He knows he doesn't have a fighting chance and tries to get out of the situation. A good warrior is a fighter, but he's not stupid. Plus, as CatherineB and maray pointed out he above he had other reasons to "flee": he was specifically told not to engage and more important to warn the others.

marary
Lorien

Apr 11 2015, 5:39pm

Post #11 of 11 (970 views)
Shortcut
Kili took these words to heart, tragically [In reply to] Can't Post

"We are sons of Durin, and Durin's folk, do not flee from a fight." Lovely moment, right?

When Fili is killed, Kili has the following options for how to react:

1) Get out of there fast before the orcs can corner him. (Fleeing)

2) Go kick some orc butt. (A fight!) By yourself.

WELL DONE KILI *facepalm*

Anyway, I'll need to rewatch it to be sure, but it looks like the same music replays AS Kili is making his fateful decision not to flee and go out in a solo blaze of glory instead. (Silly dwarf prince. I may never forgive you for that.)

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 11 2015, 5:52pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.