Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Looking about our new Reading Room: what do you want it to be?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

squire
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 4:39am

Post #1 of 28 (11898 views)
Shortcut
Looking about our new Reading Room: what do you want it to be? Can't Post

Well, here we are in the new Reading Room. It seems adequate. Well-lit, and a good suite of archival software, or so we hear. What's missing is... character. Some may remember this picture of the old Reading Room from last year:

Beautiful and rich with aged tradition, but.. a little empty, no? Who here can remember that earlier era now legendary, when NZ Strider could fill the Room with a cogent essay on the Anglo-saxon roots of Sam's shapeless hat:

Those were the days, or so we more recent denizens tell ourselves. The Reading Room glowed with a kind of brandy colored harmony, inspired no doubt by the brandy-colored adult beverage kept in the locked mahogany cabinet under The Portrait and right behind Curious's squishy couch (no mere squishy chair for the big C). The fireplace was always lit with a bit of cheery flame, and the distinction between the red and green leather squishy chairs by the fire and the splintery benches under the chill north window was never really very great when that big Red Book fell open to the next chapter and everyone leaned forward Mondays to hear the next leader begin...

Now the moving vans have disappeared into the cyber mirk, and we look about to see this:

Um... a little bright, a little modern. Where have they stowed The Portrait? And where is that adult beverage hidden, dammit?

How do you imagine our new Reading Room? What do you see as you look about? And what do you want it to be in the years (hopefully) to come?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 5:12am

Post #2 of 28 (10984 views)
Shortcut
The Reading Room looks just like this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

drogo
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 5:36am

Post #3 of 28 (10995 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, in our old digs perhaps we were a bit like this:

But now we are a state-of-the-art facility that looks more like this:

Or perhaps it looks a little like this in the wake of the move:

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

(This post was edited by drogo on Feb 18 2007, 5:36am)

mawguy
The Shire

Feb 18 2007, 6:02am

Post #4 of 28 (10937 views)
Shortcut
how about... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Alas for us all! And for all that walk the world in these after-days. For such is the way of it: to find and lose, as it seems to those whose boat is on the running stream. But I count you blessed, Gimli son of Glóin: for your loss you suffer of your own free will, and you might have chosen otherwise. But you have not forsaken your companions, and the least reward that you shall have is that the memory of Lothlórien shall remain ever clear and unstained in your heart, and shall neither fade nor grow stale."

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 6:02am

Post #5 of 28 (11027 views)
Shortcut
*testing the chairs and lamps, peeking in doors and drawers* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'll jump in so that squire won't be sitting here by himself:

I have to admit that this new message board makes me feel like a kid running around, pulling books off the shelves and plopping down on the floor, getting lost, and looking around for the teacher.

Of course, I often felt that way in the old Reading Room too!

I do hope that the RR will be a high-traffic area, since reading Tolkien is what brings so many of us together.

It would be great to have a variety of threads to participate in, including some lighter topics, like quizzes and games, and I'd be happy to lead one. What does everyone else think?

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 6:11am

Post #6 of 28 (11006 views)
Shortcut
pssst... squire [In reply to] Can't Post

Where have they stowed The Portrait? And where is that adult beverage hidden, dammit?

I've no idea who absconded with the portrait, but if you press the middle of the panel to the left of that bookshelf in the back of pic #3, it revolves to reveal this...

Climate-controlled and everything, courtesy of the Fiesta Friday bar.

We wouldn't want the members of the newboard RR to suffer, would we? Wink

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 6:43am

Post #7 of 28 (10926 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, no pic, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm envisioning Elrond's library. We'd just need to bring in a little more seating....

Nerdanel
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 8:19am

Post #8 of 28 (10931 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nerdanel] The Reading Room looks just like this. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I should have mentioned that the picture below is the interior of The Eagle And Child, the pub where JRRT the Inklings gathered. A little brightly lit for my taste, but otherwise a good place to gather to talk Tolkien.

In Reply To

drogo
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 12:21pm

Post #9 of 28 (10944 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Nerdanel] The Reading Room looks just like this. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe I should have mentioned that the picture below is the interior of The Eagle And Child, the pub where JRRT the Inklings gathered. A little brightly lit for my taste, but otherwise a good place to gather to talk Tolkien.

In Reply To

Are you sure you didn't mean this?

I hear you are a mean Ikea ballroom supervisor! Laugh

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 4:48pm

Post #10 of 28 (10996 views)
Shortcut
Re: [squire] Looking about our new Reading Room: what do you want it to be? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

How do you imagine our new Reading Room? What do you see as you look about? And what do you want it to be in the years (hopefully) to come?

Well, I still see boxes full of books on the floor, shelves stuck somewhere en route, and where are those low wattage light bulbs anyway? Anyone seen the cushions to the couch? Darn movers.

I mean, moving is unsettling, but when we're all unpacked and everything, I'm sure we'll feel more at home.

I'm still feeling a little rocky with the changeover, so not sure I'm ready to discuss what we'll "become". I liked us the way we were...

Blush

But of course, more smilies is a good thing. I know I'm in the minority in that viewpoint, but I'm familiar with the minority viewpoint from experience....

Angelic

a.s.

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

squire
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 6:15pm

Post #11 of 28 (10947 views)
Shortcut
Death to all smilies [In reply to] Can't Post

That will be my last word on that subject, since I think I, not you, am in the minority on this pressing issue.

Moving is disconcerting. It's good just knowing you and the others are about the place; and I'm sure we'll all settle in soon enough.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Sandicomm
Bree

Feb 18 2007, 6:25pm

Post #12 of 28 (10950 views)
Shortcut
Re: [squire] Looking about our new Reading Room: what do you want it to be? [In reply to] Can't Post

No, no, no! The reading room should be cozy and charming, with shelves and shelves of interesting books to look at. Not old-fashioned but not modern either.

Oh, wait, that's my school's library. :)

Check out those nice, comfy bay windows. Don't you want them in the RR?

(Points to FindingFrodo for posting a pic of the NYPL. :))

(This post was edited by Sandicomm on Feb 18 2007, 6:25pm)

hatster
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 6:35pm

Post #13 of 28 (10917 views)
Shortcut
Are those window seats?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow... if you folks get those, then I might come back to the RR more often.

(Imagines all inhabitants removing everything that looks like it might be a window seat)
(refrains from using a smilie, but can't resist the self narration that got her through years of grad school)

testing table column one testing table column two

Sandicomm
Bree

Feb 18 2007, 6:50pm

Post #14 of 28 (10898 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hatster] Are those window seats?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or high school. I mean... what?

In Reply To

(Imagines all inhabitants removing everything that looks like it might be a window seat)
(refrains from using a smilie, but can't resist the self narration that got her through years of grad school)

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 8:00pm

Post #15 of 28 (10893 views)
Shortcut

No pic but imagine a room of rich red walls and silver birch trees with canopy's of Lorien and the a stoked roaring fire...

with comfortable seating and a bar near at hand...

thats my vision of the new reading room!

-e_H-
'dala

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 8:29pm

Post #16 of 28 (10878 views)
Shortcut
Ahh... [In reply to] Can't Post

Now there's a place I would be happy to frequent.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 9:41pm

Post #17 of 28 (10920 views)
Shortcut
yes, self narration! and window seats! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I vote for both! Sandi, I love the idea of window seats, except on really cold dreary days like today, when I need to pull up close to the fire.

We WILL have a fireplace, won't we, squire?

a.s. (who, in honor of asking squire to read her post, refrains from smilies for the moment...but engages in self-narration to make hatster feel comfortable!)

"an seileachan"

Aerin
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 9:54pm

Post #18 of 28 (10915 views)
Shortcut
*raises sword* [In reply to] Can't Post

Death to all smilies! Death! Death! Death!

*clears throat, looks around*

Luthien Rising
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 10:04pm

Post #19 of 28 (10920 views)
Shortcut
Clearly, [In reply to] Can't Post

in the last photograph, the much-desired golden liquid is behind the bookcase at the back of the room, the one cater-corner from the windows, which swings open to reveal a fully stocked cabinet.

The rest I don't know about (until I get off this darned dial-up). I'm just here for the important stuff.

Lúthien Rising
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us. / We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

(This post was edited by Luthien Rising on Feb 18 2007, 10:06pm)

Penthe
Gondor

Feb 18 2007, 11:00pm

Post #20 of 28 (10915 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Sandicomm] Looking about our new Reading Room: what do you want it to be? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
No, no, no! The reading room should be cozy and charming, with shelves and shelves of interesting books to look at. Not old-fashioned but not modern either.

Oh, wait, that's my school's library. :)

Check out those nice, comfy bay windows. Don't you want them in the RR?

(Points to FindingFrodo for posting a pic of the NYPL. :))

(I cannot figure out how to put my reply outside the quoty bit. Sorry.

Hey, that's some school library. I vote we have part of the Reading Room that looks like this, and another part with comfy leather sofas, cuhions, foot stools, large tables for books and beverages (because we can all be trusted not to spill beverages on books can't we? Can't we????) and maybe a nice record player in the corner for listening to our Road Goes Ever On records that we got fort $2.00 in 1990.

And a kitchen for cooking mushrooms, naturally. And maybe a nice outdoor plaza of some kind, so that Gandalf can visit and patronise Pippin any old time he likes.

I think I'm building a Reading Villa in my mind.

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 11:08pm

Post #21 of 28 (10855 views)
Shortcut
Penthe, love the boots! [In reply to] Can't Post

have you got a blue jacket to go along with those yellow boots, by any chance!!??

Sly

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Sandicomm
Bree

Feb 19 2007, 12:43am

Post #22 of 28 (10889 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Penthe] Looking about our new Reading Room: what do you want it to be? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds good to me, Penthe!

Sandicomm
Bree

Feb 19 2007, 12:44am

Post #23 of 28 (10922 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Luthien Rising] Clearly, [In reply to] Can't Post

I assure you, the librarians need it when the screechy middle schoolers infest--I mean come into the library.

In Reply To
in the last photograph, the much-desired golden liquid is behind the bookcase at the back of the room, the one cater-corner from the windows, which swings open to reveal a fully stocked cabinet.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 1:02am

Post #24 of 28 (10844 views)
Shortcut
So THAT'S what the librarians were doing back in their offices when I was in school! / [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but then I had liposuction.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2007, 7:38am

Post #25 of 28 (10874 views)
Shortcut
Well if you want *cozy*... [In reply to] Can't Post

I bags the big fluffy red one.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.