The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
the return of the king edit

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 8 2015, 9:35pm

Post #1 of 3 (1144 views)
Shortcut
the return of the king edit Can't Post

Hi again, to finish this "ultimate" guide of a crazy stick to the book edits Iīm gonna go with TROTK, thhough is not finished yet but pretty much is almost done.

Book V

It starts with the lighting of the beacons.

Then we see Gandalf and Pippin riding towards minas tirith.

They arrive and chat with Denethor, though Pippin doesnt regonize de withe tree, he hasnt seen it in the palantir.

The chat is pretty much the same.

Then they see the beacon of Minas Morgul, and we cut to...

THE GREY COMPANY

The grey company, The Lorien elves arriving to Helmīs Deep appear here, is not stated but their arrival makes all the setting of the war more omminous and urgent, I know they are not Dunedain but it makes pretty close of what it happens with that legion of rangers arriving to Aragorn.

Aragorn looking on the palantir, I putted here the shots of the mummakil under the sun and of the corsair ships, then the shot were Aragorn abandons the paths of the dead and see the ships aproaching and he falls into despair, then we cut to Aragorn face of desperation and he let the palantir fall in fright.

After this we insert a brief line of Legolas in helms deep, telling Aragorn to rest (its previous to the battle of helms deep but I wanted to use it to show how the enconuter with Sauron has tired him) Then, we see Merry offering his services to Theoden, there are shots of Helms Deep to state that they are all gatter there and not in Edoras.

Aragorn and Eowyn have this scene of TTT were they clash swords. In the book that dialogue happens here.

Aragorn departs for the paths of the dead. He arrives there (no goofy Gimli) it all ends as in the theatrical cut (What say you?)

We cut now to Theoden arriving to Dunarrow, he has inmediatly this scene in the sunset with Eowyn

THE RED ARROW

At night we see a dark figure riding on a horse to Theodenīs tent, its not Elrond, inmediatly the dark figure pass infront of the Pukel man we see the shot of Eowyn arriving to Edoras hall(is the scene were Aragorn arrive after he has seen the beacons light) and then we cut to Theoden looking at her. In the table we see two unknown men, so it fits perfectly with the book, they are Gondor messengers. Theoden order to muster the Rohirrim. The whole Rohan army sets off to Edoras, we see Theoden saying that the doom of hour time will be decided in Minas Tirith and Eomer talking about oaths etc...Legolas and Gimli talk about war in other lands, we see here glimpses of Erebor and Mirkwood fighting from the hobbit.

then we see the shot where they abandon Edoras (as in the book they pass Edoras after helms deep)

Now we cut to the company of men flying from Osgiliath from the attack of the Nazgul. Gandalf appears but all shots were Pippin is seen are gone. He talks with Faramir on the gate, but again, Pippin is not there.

It all goes pretty much the same, some silly shots of the fight are gonne (Gothmog falling from the warg, much of Gothmog is gone, no scene between him and the Witchking, The Witchking is only seen for the first time when he faces Gandalf(no previous shot of him in minas morgul)). Pippin doesnt save Gandalfīs live he is all the time on the seventh level. No Gondor archers shooting at the towers.

Gandalf faces the witchking and Ttheoden arrives...

We cut to scene of Eomer reporting first level of minas tirith is in flames, no talk between Eowyn and Merry only we see them react to the blowing of the horns when their helmets are on. We see now the shot of Theoden calling to ride to Gondor that happens when they left Dunarrow. This shot is to make the journey to Gondor longer and that it happens on a forest wich makes reference (very slight one) to the forest of Ghan Buri Ghan.

After that they arrive to Pelennor and charge, no scene between Gandalf and Pippin about death. The witch king is killed and right after that Ttheoden dies with Eowyn. Then the battle goes on. No scene of Eowyn flying from Gothmog, this character dissapears in the charge. No Legolas killing Oliphaunt. Theoden has died and the battle goes ill, Eomer finds Eowyn fainted, then the ships arrive and the tide turns. The battle is won and then we go to Denethors pire...

Gandalf does not throw Denethor to the flames, the man never jumps down the pire, only Faramir. In inserted the quick shot of the deciper card of his hands holding the palantir as he says there is no victory against the power of the east, then Gandalf reacts. Denethor dies on the floor of the tombs, not jumping down the cliff, then the sun breaks again in Minas Tirith.

Houses of healing and the last debate are the same except of Ggndalf not talking about he cannot see Frodo, and no Aragorn about Sauron taking the bite. They set off to the black gate as in the theatrical.

They face mouth of sauron and then the battle begins until the eagles arrive

End of book V

BOOK VI

The tower of Cirith Ungol

All the same except when Sam arrives, he hears the riot and then I have putted two quikck shots of him going down the stairs of Cirith ungol when he falls and he discovers the lembas bread, here it seems that he is crying because he thinks Frodo is already dead

Then they set of the tower but dont see the orc camp I putted here the shot of the end of TTT when we see the ephel duath and mordor beyond. it looks like is not ephel duath but the morgai

then the scene of the begining of ROTK where they are resting on a hole. no gollum here obviously.

Then I took all the shoots of barad dur of the previous films and putted them here, we see the dark tower and then froro senses the eye(begining of TTT) I did this to make the sense of peril and evil influence of the ring stronger (as in the book)

Then the shoot of the TTT where they are in Emyn Muil at night and its raining ant they believe to have seen Gollum

Then the vision of the eye that Frodo has in Bree. We awakes showting for Gandalf and realices it has been a dream. I used this because in the book it says that Frodo has a night of firey dreams,

Then the shot where they arrive to Modror and see the orc camp, here I putted as in the book, while they are in the morgai they see the Orodruin orc camp, they continue then his way to the north

Here I putted one shot of Frodo at night, it happens in dead marshes he is touching the ring and cannot sleep, and he ears something(Gollum) but here is not Gollum, but orcs. He awakes and putted then the scenes of the black gate were he is descending the hill going for Sam(all darkened scenes) it seems like Frodo is descending the mountain to spy some orcs(in the book they find two orcs talking) here I putted the encounter between the mordor orcs and the uruks of Isengard were they talk about the master wanting the shire rats. Iis not what it says in the book, but haveing escaped cirith ungol gives the sense that Ssauron is now looking for two halflings and that th orcs are aware and Frodo and Sam, behind a rock, learn this

Then I putted the night scene between the two that happens at the end of FOTR EE in the Anduin bank where Frodo says to Sam that he cannot help him this time (in all mordor scenes is stated that they get rid of the orc clothes every time of rest)

The following night they spot Durthang, I used here all the Gundabad shots of BOTFA, its preatty mordor landscape ands as an orc fortress of mordor is very interesting, I putted here the shots of Frodo hiding when he sees Cirith Ungol. They go on and the following day they see the armies marching to the black gate

They get captured but scape. Then I putted the scene of the winding stairs where Sam suggest Frodo to let him carry the ring, Frodo showts him and Sam cries, then Frodo asks him his pardon(its the scene previous of him fainting) Aat this point Frodo is afefctd badly by the ring, not only physycally buy mentally, I hated how in the movies, when he arrives to Mordor deosnt get crazy with the ring until the very end

They continue walking (the scene of walking on that sea of rocks is here, but the wide shot of mt doom and barad dur is cut for the following day) They throw away the pans and clothes. Then the night comes and Sam sees the star, but the nnight shot of the eye is gone.

Another day, we see now the wide shot cutted before, then the "there is no journey home..scene" and the eye spotting them and frodo hiding.

After that the night shot of the eye looking for them is seen

Right after that we see Frodoīs feet on mt doom and they are crawling. The troughout mordor journey is intercut with the shots of barad dur and the eye that has been appearing troughout the movies (except the one in parth galen) I loved this part of the book and wanted to show every bit, and make it more agonic and long, this way the mordor piece goes from merely 5 minutes to almost 30 minutes and it is pretty pretty agonic for the two hobbits.

Then the ring is destroyed and mt doom explode Frodo an Sam go out and then Frodo sees Barad dur fall. Then we cutt to the end of the battle at the morannon, after the black gate crumbles Fordo says : ITS GONE

Then is all the same except for the endings. There is no bowing to the hobbits. As the map fades to minas tirith and arrives Edoras we stop here and see Theodenīs funeral (wich is Theodredīīs but his face is never shown) then we go to fangorn where we see Legolas under the leaves(deleted scene) and to moria when we see Gimli looking jewels in astonishment. Then to Rivendell where we see Arwens vision of Eldarion and the death of Aragorn and she wandering trough the woods.

THE SCOURING OF THE SHIRE

We arrive now to the shire
The four hobbits arrive and go to the green dragon, . Then we see this hobbit at night saying: whoīs there? and a rider slizing his swords thowards him. Itīs two riders so we can asume they are Saruman and Whormtongue. I used here the scene where Frodo goes to his home at night with Sam (FOTR) and Gandalf arrives with that hand popping out the dark but its Saruman. Then the scene where Saruman is on his room(presumably is bag end Sarumanized) and some goblins step in and says : we got job to do and then we see orcs tearing down trees (those are actually Isengardīs trees but as in this version Orthanc scenes has never been shown there is plenty of Saruman material unused at this point) Then we see the images of the mirror of Galadriel (that where cutted) and then some shots of the top of orthanc that were cutted to with Grima and Sarumanīs deaths ( no impaling) and the shot of Frodo of the scene of : you bow to no one. it has all been a dream like the old forest experience. We see now Frodo at his desk writing

And everything goes the same until the end.

Thanks for reading, sorry for the misspelling, it has been a wonderfull experience, if I do any update Iīll make you know

love

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

(This post was edited by Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) on Apr 8 2015, 9:40pm)

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 9 2015, 2:06am

Post #2 of 3 (1106 views)
Shortcut
Just, wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazingly creative ways to make it fit with the book better! Thanks so much for explaining it all here, I've enjoyed reading your posts about it.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2015, 11:09am

Post #3 of 3 (832 views)
Shortcut
Changes [In reply to] Can't Post

I added the map scene between Faramir and his guard from the TTT, with the piece that refers to Iisengard removed. I putted where the two Gondor messengers are at the table with Theoden, so it seems they are warning him about the imminent attack of Sauron

I putted the two surprised Minas Tirith soldiers that are in the beacon that Pippin lits in the moment previous to Gandalf says to Pippin that they just has passed into the realm of Gondor, so it is accurate to the book when they find Gondor soldiers rebuilding the wall at night, its only brief moment but it seems that they have been caught of guard as Ggandalf and Pippin passes at full speed

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.