First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 10 2015, 6:34pm

Post #51 of 68 (1788 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo learned from the best [In reply to] Can't Post

My thought exactly - hey look at the Smouldering Hobbit! Shocked

(I suppose you have been aware of certain informative class, where several academically essential topics were discussed, such as smoulder. Smoulder expert Avandel and assistants Tongue
Brethil & Riven Delve offered examples of the various kinds of smouldering from this post onwards. Highly recommended class which quickly escalated into advanced studies...)

Not to repeat the types already covered, here are two more nonetheless:

* Icy Blue Smoulder (in a moonlit cave)

* Cobweb and Elves Smoulder (with some serious Sanpaku)

If the Durins were an rock band, I suggest they be called Ocular Fire...! Cool (credit to Avandel)

Attachments: blue_smoulder_2 (Custom) (2).jpg (16.2 KB)
  article-2339856-1A43E4DB000005DC-414_634x301.jpg (47.6 KB)

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 10 2015, 9:13pm

Post #52 of 68 (1774 views)
Shortcut
You know, I think you're right! [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, it would have been a heck of an adjustment for Thorin. Going from this:

*BADASS SMOULDER*

to:

Still, hafta say that Bilbo has come right along - it's like he's a "little Durin" now....Tongue

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 10 2015, 9:59pm

Post #53 of 68 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Ocular wars [In reply to] Can't Post

Scorchin' Sanpaku!

*Thorin is INCREDULOUS that Bard challenges him to a SMOULDER contest!*

Bard tries hard! Eyes BLAZE in fury, but it's no good.....ShockedShockedShocked

As #Majestic and NOBLE as Thorin is, he graciously provides warning - the sight of the most PERFECT teeth in Middle Earth.
But oh no! Bard will not HEED the SIGNS!Shocked

FULL
SANPAKUTongue from a MASTER of his craft (fangirls helplessly sink glassy-eyed to the ground....)ShockedShockedShocked

Bard and horse flee, vowing to move to Bree and take up farming 'taters....Cool

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2015, 12:34pm

Post #54 of 68 (1704 views)
Shortcut
If only book Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

could see our Hobbit now..."smoulder bunny"! Laugh

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 11 2015, 12:37pm

Post #55 of 68 (1711 views)
Shortcut
There once were some dwarves... [In reply to] Can't Post

...who could smoulder
They sneered at goblins and Noldor
With scorching genetics
And volcanic kinetics
Never was Royalty bolder

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 11 2015, 4:15pm

Post #56 of 68 (1689 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOL!!!! Thanks for this!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaughLaughLaughLaugh

........With scorching genetics
And volcanic kinetics
Never was Royalty bolder

I need to make T-shirts.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2015, 5:59pm

Post #57 of 68 (1671 views)
Shortcut
I'll take one! [In reply to] Can't Post

The fantastic poem on the back, and the fantastic picture on the front! Cool

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 11 2015, 8:01pm

Post #58 of 68 (1659 views)
Shortcut
LOL - me, too [In reply to] Can't Post

A nice big, cuddly sleep-shirt. Blush Heart

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Apr 11 2015, 9:57pm

Post #59 of 68 (1645 views)
Shortcut
As long as the T-shirt is more of a group photo... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll gladly buy one, since I just can't seem to wear the singular character T-shirts (I just get too embarrassed, which is the same reason I don't style my hair the same way that Thorin does, though I have no problem with it being the same length). That picture is on October on the official BoFA wall calendar (or at least the one that I have), with Fili and Kili this month, and Thorin next month. The only pictures I save are from the Page-a-Day calendar (which features images from both AUJ and DoS, so they may do something similar next year featuring images from DoS and BoFA), and not just the singular character pictures, but the group ones as well. My nightshirt has a picture of a cat (or is it an owl) with the words "Night Owl" on it (I am a night owl, since I don't go to bed till well after midnight). It's sky blue in color. I also have a winter one that's more of a pants suit (which I feel more comfortable in anyway, being more of a tomboy).Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

marary
Lorien

Apr 11 2015, 10:57pm

Post #60 of 68 (1636 views)
Shortcut
reinterpretations [In reply to] Can't Post

I've started a list of plot points in The Hobbit films that can be reinterpreted following our in-depth analysis of the role the SMOULDER plays in filmographic character development, its physical properties, and its cultural significance amongst the various peoples of Middle Earth.

1) Thranduil may have seemed rather callous in refusing to aid the dwarves against Smaug, but in light of the SMOULDER, he acted altruistically. He was basically like, "Whoa, that city is on fire! If I go down there my boiling ELVEN SMOULDER surely won't help matters!" and made the right choice by taking his smouldering elven face elsewhere, lest more damage of a fiery nature be wrought upon the victims of Smaug.

2) Legolas didn't follow Tauriel out of any manner of schoolboy crush, but because he was so impressed by Kili's dungeon SMOULDERING, he knew he had to learn from the master. When he learned that Tauriel was pursuing the dwarves, he thought he'd join in- he may get a chance to pic up a few smouldering pointers from the master himsel.

3) When Legolas's plans to learn more about the art of smouldering (tragically fell through), Thranduil pitied his son and was intent on finding him a new smouldering tutor. Instantly, he thought of Aragorn, Chiefest and Greatest of all Smoulderers in Middle Earth and sent Legolas to find him.

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 11 2015, 10:59pm)

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 12 2015, 7:49am

Post #61 of 68 (1610 views)
Shortcut
Ready the bucket brigade [In reply to] Can't Post

These are interesting and educational theories. At the end of the third film it may be possible that Aragorn is considered Chiefest and Greatest of all Smoulderers in Middle Earth, since Thorin could no longer out-smoulder him - EXCEPT for the fact that Thorin and nephews were, of course, sailing on a certain River of Denial with their followers and could maybe be reached there for a scorching duel. The stage is set for more Ocular Wars... Tongue

VS.

One theory 1): If only Thranduil had had his sunglasses with him that fateful day, so much enmity could have been avoided.

Attachments: Thorin_2 (Custom).jpg (35.7 KB)

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 12 2015, 2:45pm

Post #62 of 68 (1592 views)
Shortcut
Looking at the pic you've included [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorins shield... It just looks the same shape as an umbrella. I could see that as a printed image on an umbrella. Can you imagine? The coolness!

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 12 2015, 5:04pm

Post #63 of 68 (1585 views)
Shortcut
*grins* "...a pitcher of water is readied to throw...." [In reply to] Can't Post

on the cats that are staring hard at each other...Angelic

in that, IMO, long before I even knew of the SANPAKU of the dwarven race, that - just sayin' FOR ME - that I would not consider VM's Aragorn to have SMOULDER vs. merely an "intense look of concentration* (I understand that many feel differently Shocked)

Thanks to this thread tho, I now UNDERSTAND why I prefer the Hobbit films over LOTR; to wit, the Hobbit films in the form of Fili, Kili, Dwalin, Thranduil, and especially Thorin, have "volcanic SANPAKU-SMOULDER" and personally I always did love the summer.
TongueEvil

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 12 2015, 5:35pm

Post #64 of 68 (1580 views)
Shortcut
Interesting - and a possibly OVERLOOKED DYNAMIC [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think there is a *smouldering* unconscious love-hate dynamic as yet UNEXPLORED between Kili and Legolas re the ability of SANPAKU?

For instance, in the Mirkwood cells, we see Kili effortlessly *smoulder* through the bars, probably well experienced from a long association with his uncle. Perhaps this triggers a long-repressed desire in Legolas to attain SANPAKU, which up to that point Legolas had suppressed (out of respect for his father).Cool

And yet, with hours, we see Legolas evidently working to control the FIRE - the so-called "Legolas stalker scene* which I now feel was a pupil attempting to control a powerful surge WAVE of SANPAKU - e.g., Legolas wisely does not press the issue at that moment, realizing that caged or no, Kili is long experienced (having been a vampire as well as a dwarf) in SANPAKU.

Yet, by Laketown (probably because elves are good at everything and perfectly perfect as well as being miraculously clean all the timeLaugh) we see Legolas smoothly display SANPAKU, eyes blazing like turquoise into the night as he stares over Bard's balcony.Shocked

So I hardly dare suggest an ALTERNATIVE theory, in that Thranduil, desiring peace in his kingdom (tho he loves his son) wisely sent Legolas away for a timeFrown, realizing that between Smaug and *those Durins* and himself, there was just too much HEAT in too localized an area. Thranduil after all is a King of the Natural World, and would have understood the concept of a balanced ecosystem.Cool

(Besides, the females of Middle Earth were getting fed up with all the SANPAKU being in the North. "We may not have mountains, but we have great seafood!!!" the women complained.Wink

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 12 2015, 6:17pm

Post #65 of 68 (1571 views)
Shortcut
Eyes like embers [In reply to] Can't Post

Smoulder is maybe a matter of taste, but it does seem like Aragorn's intense stare lacks certain... FIERY quality? Possibly there are better pictures in existence somewhere. But if hobbits and elves can learn to smoulder, then surely men can learn it too! Practice...! Tongue

I love that picture - the confused dragon staring at the FIERIER-THAN-THOU smouldering Laugh Balrog!

marary
Lorien

Apr 12 2015, 7:50pm

Post #66 of 68 (1560 views)
Shortcut
Legolas and Kili: A Smouldering Friendship in the Making [In reply to] Can't Post

I much prefer our explanation/s to the love triangle that most people deem responsible for Legolas's behavior. And I like to think the two of them would have gotten over any initial distrust if given time, as both are shown at different points to get over their distrust of the other race. Kili would have taken on Legolas as his pupil in the art of SANPAKU.

So, if Kili, Fili and Thorin had survived the Battle of Five Armies, it's totally reasonable to expect that Kili might have taken Gimli's place in the Fellowship, right? Which means there's potential for an alternate universe where these two lovely fellows get to stomp around Middle Earth as smouldering BFFs and learning to appreciate each other's cultural smouldering differences. (Meaning no disrespect to the lovely Gimli/Legolas friendship in canon.)

(This post was edited by marary on Apr 12 2015, 7:55pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 12:59pm

Post #67 of 68 (1503 views)
Shortcut
What wonderful WORDsmithing has been goin' on.. [In reply to] Can't Post

the HEAT generated from this
Forge
Flames high
From the cares of the World.

Smoke Rings around Iris'es
smolder out anythinigie left...

Kickin' embers into dust..
A Campfire of Special Magnificence..
Now, begins to die into the Dirt.

But? the memory will last a Lifetime
as, bom backed himself into another corner..

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 16 2015, 6:55pm

Post #68 of 68 (1476 views)
Shortcut
I love this Sanpaku shot of Bard. The fear in his eyes: fabulous. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the fear we get here - but it doesn't stop him. Heart

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.