The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
scenes from the book not in the film

balbo biggins
Rohan

Apr 7 2015, 9:09am

Post #1 of 15 (1407 views)
Shortcut
scenes from the book not in the film Can't Post

what are your favourite moments from the book that were not included in the film that you would have liked to have seen on screen?

my persona favourites that i miss (ill try to limit them) are

1. the wolf attack and the hill of flaming trees before reaching moria, a nice little nod to the hobbit out of the frying pan scene and all the more creepy with wolves rather than wargs which makes it feel more real and wild. the fellowships first moment of full on assault.

2.merry and pippins original meetingg with treebeard, 'a hill'....its a moment of quiet and mutual fascination between the two races and also quickbeams time with spent with them.

3.sam throwing the seeds and soil to the four corners of the shire and the only mallorn outside of lothlorien, would love to have seen it growing.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 7 2015, 2:02pm

Post #2 of 15 (1327 views)
Shortcut
We wants our Glorfindel, yes we does!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starglass
Rivendell

Apr 7 2015, 5:07pm

Post #3 of 15 (1318 views)
Shortcut
A couple scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

These are the two that come immediately to mind

1. The Barrow wight. On my first read though this was a very creepy and intense part. Even though it doesn't relate directly to the rest of the story, the scene will always stand out to me and shows an early example of Frodo resisting the temptation of the ring.

2. Sam being tempted by the ring outside Cirith Ungol. Though they did this inside the tower briefly in the film, I preferred how it was handled in the book. I also would have liked to see Sam spend more time trying to find Frodo in the tower (as in the book) to give that sense of urgency. He found him too quickly in the film.

Other than that, there were several lines that I missed from the book but I won't get into that. Smile

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 7 2015, 10:16pm

Post #4 of 15 (1293 views)
Shortcut
What I like about the Barrow Downs... [In reply to] Can't Post

What I like about the Barrow Downs is the significance of the blade that Merry finds there. It creates a reason for Merry's ability to stab the Witch King later. I think it's cool that a moment so near to the end is the result of something that happened so early in the story. Smile

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 7 2015, 10:37pm

Post #5 of 15 (1284 views)
Shortcut
OF Course ANYTHING Bombadil... [In reply to] Can't Post

but me knows why?
No woman could PLAY GOLDBERRY!

SHE needs to remain elusive...
Ina Beauty Pageant between

Arwen, Galadreil, Luthien, Eowyn & Goldberry?

WHO would win?

Bom knows who he would VOTE for!
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 8 2015, 1:13am

Post #6 of 15 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Off hand, [In reply to] Can't Post

two really stand out for me that I would've liked to see: the Scouring of the Shire and the entire Old Forest sequence. I would also have liked to see Crickhollow and the events there. I always found that to be an amusing part of the book.

I know there are other ones but I can't think of them right now. Mad

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Arveldis
Rivendell

Apr 8 2015, 4:01am

Post #7 of 15 (1257 views)
Shortcut
Off the top of my head... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbits meeting Gildor Inglorion in Woodhall and Glorfindel attacking the Nazgul. Those two scenes illustrated the beauty and wonder of the Elves in a way that I'd never seen before, and the imagery captivated me.

Also, I think the Scouring of the Shire -- although it would have been another ending -- would have fit in nicely before Frodo's "We set out to save the Shire, Sam, and it has been saved, but not for me" at the Grey Havens. Although it was reiterated throughout the films that if the other civilizations of Middle-earth fell, then the Shire would too, the Shire never seemed to be in any great peril. The Scouring of the Shire would have shown that it, too, was not exempt from corruption.

deepak kumar

Apr 8 2015, 9:14am

Post #8 of 15 (1244 views)
Shortcut
movie [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam being tempted by the ring outside Cirith Ungol. Though they did this inside the tower briefly in the film, I preferred how it was handled in the book. I also would have liked to see Sam spend more time trying to find Frodo in the tower (as in the book) to give that sense of urgency.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Apr 9 2015, 1:01pm

Post #9 of 15 (1161 views)
Shortcut
the arrival of Aragorn in Gondor [In reply to] Can't Post

on the black ship.. and the sudden unfurling of Arwen's golden standard...
I get goosebumps only thinking about it...

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 9 2015, 2:00pm

Post #10 of 15 (1145 views)
Shortcut
This! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Apr 11 2015, 7:25pm

Post #11 of 15 (1084 views)
Shortcut
And speaking of Merry [In reply to] Can't Post

I really would have liked to have seen his first encounter with the Witch-King at Bree - foreshadowing of his big moment to come, and impressing Aragorn that he even survived the encounter, beginning their lifelong friendship.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Apr 11 2015, 7:32pm

Post #12 of 15 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Definitely the Scouring. [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said in another post not long ago, I think that chapter was the whole point of what the four Hobbits - and Tolkien and his friends in real life - went through. The point was made in Frodo and Galadriel's scene and Merry's little monologue to Pippin, but it wasn't brought home as much as it would have with a Scouring of the Shire scene.

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 12 2015, 1:04pm

Post #13 of 15 (1047 views)
Shortcut
That's what I've always thought! [In reply to] Can't Post

That the Scouring was the point of the book! I've rarely seen anyone else who thought the same way, though, so I'm delighted with your post! Smile

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2015, 2:49pm

Post #14 of 15 (1001 views)
Shortcut
THIS! [In reply to] Can't Post

was my biggest disappointment in the films.

THIS was the reason I fell in love with Legolas in 1978.

THIS was the reason my patient half Arabian gelding thought I was nuts...

"A smaller and lighter horse, but restive and fiery, was brought to Legolas. Arod was his name. But Legolas asked them to take off saddle and rein. 'I need them not,' he said, and leaped lightly up, and to their wonder Arod was tame and willing beneath him, moving here and there with but a spoken word: such was the elvish way with all good beasts. Gimli was lifted up behind his friend, and he clung to him, not much more at ease than Sam Gamgee in a boat."

I grew up with horses and THIS is the ideal of horsemanship. Tolkien, of course, trained with the cavalry and knew enough about horses to write them effectively.

There are actually a number of good horsemen who eventually train horses this way: you use voice and shifts of weight and mere twitched of muscle and probably some ESP...

(me on Saraf, bridleless, back in the 80s)

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

(This post was edited by swordwhale on Apr 13 2015, 2:50pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2015, 2:51pm

Post #15 of 15 (997 views)
Shortcut
also [In reply to] Can't Post

I really miss Glorfindel.

Cute guy, nice horse....

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.