Bain,Sigrid and Tilda
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Apr 6 2015, 6:37pm

Post #1 of 29 (1956 views)
Shortcut
Bain,Sigrid and Tilda Can't Post

Do you like them in the films, how are their acting and are they a good thing for bard´s character.

I like them, it was good acting and it are a good thing for bard´s character.

(This post was edited by Smaug the iron on Apr 6 2015, 6:45pm)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 6 2015, 6:42pm

Post #2 of 29 (1847 views)
Shortcut
They are okay [In reply to] Can't Post

Some have complained that Sigrid and Tilda just shriek alot and don't do anything, but I write that off to their being young and inexperienced. I think they probably helped develop Bard as a man who is protective of his people, a reluctant leader who rises to the challenge, and I personally like that kind of storyline.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 6 2015, 6:58pm

Post #3 of 29 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Yeah sure [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah I liked them. Sigrid tended to have a bit of a bland expression at times, but since the two girls hadn't really had any experience in film and weren't main characters it wasn't any deal breaker really. I liked them and their relationship to Bard.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 6 2015, 7:28pm

Post #4 of 29 (1832 views)
Shortcut
The Kids are All Right [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard's children are used well in the films. My approach to Bard might have been different, although I have to agree that he needed to be fleshed out more.

Personally, I might have left Bard single--reserving his marriage and children for the years after he rebuilds Dale. Knowing going in that Bain would be added to the films, though, I still don't know that I would have made Bard a widower. What I might have done is make Bain slightly younger and have him interact more with Bilbo while the company was in Lake-town. I also would have let the companions have a bit of time in Esgaroth to rest and recover, but Kili's injury and poisoning makes that notion moot.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 6 2015, 7:38pm

Post #5 of 29 (1807 views)
Shortcut
IT's likely they have more to do in the EE../// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

marary
Lorien

Apr 6 2015, 7:40pm

Post #6 of 29 (1828 views)
Shortcut
Tilda and Sigrid looked remarkably related to Bard [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure what trickery was going on in the makeup department, but there was some serious facial bone structure resemblance, though the actors are not related. Very cool. Not much to say about the acting, but they were believable in the roles.

I liked the addition of Bain and his help in slaying the dragon. BOFA actually has some really lovely themes about family tying the whole thing together. The addition of Bard's children means we get a family-centric storyline for Thorin, Thranduil AND Bard. It actually worked quite well to round out the trio of the leaders of the 3 races featured. They each have a storyline involving their children (nephews, in Thorin's case).

Bard fighting for his children really resonated with a lot of the more casual viewers, I noticed.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 6 2015, 8:24pm

Post #7 of 29 (1746 views)
Shortcut
I think that Bard's children have had enough to do already. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we need any new scenes or additional footage with Bard's kids. Let's concentrate on things that were actually cut from the story of the book that add some of the closure that was missing from TH:BotFA (more Beorn; Thorin's funeral; Dain as King under the Mountain; return to Rivendell; etc.).

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 6 2015, 8:52pm

Post #8 of 29 (1745 views)
Shortcut
I didn't mind seeing them in the film. [In reply to] Can't Post

We know Bain existed, and it's not completely out of bounds to think that Bard might have had daughters as well.

They were supporting roles that didn't take the whole film over.

Their performances were also good. And they were all just as cute as they could be.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 6 2015, 8:54pm

Post #9 of 29 (1731 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are too many important plot holes that need to be filled. Spending time fleshing out extraneous characters would just be waste of film.

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 6 2015, 8:59pm

Post #10 of 29 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Bain [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We know Bain existed, and it's not completely out of bounds to think that Bard might have had daughters as well.

We know from Tolkien that Bain would exist. I've always assumed that Bard married (until now) and sired Bain after he became King of Dale. That still is what happens in Tolkien's legendarium as far as I am concerned.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 6 2015, 9:02pm

Post #11 of 29 (1733 views)
Shortcut
It was Important to Show Orcs Attacking Human Children.. [In reply to] Can't Post

since SSOoo far..it was only Adults like
Immortal Elves, a Kickass Adult Dwaves.

Even in the LOTR @ Helm's Deep?

Children would have been Slaughtered
but The Uruk-Hai never came close.

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 6 2015, 9:25pm

Post #12 of 29 (1746 views)
Shortcut
"Existed" as in Tolkien wrote him. [In reply to] Can't Post

Not necessarily that Tolkien meant that he was around during the book.

The appendices give the birth dates of some of the characters. Does it specify when Bain was born? We know that Bain's son Brand was King of Dale at the time of LOTR, which was 80-ish years after the Hobbit, and that is a good long time for only three generations to have gone by.

--Joyce Meyer

--Leonard Nimoy

The Grey Wanderer
Lorien

Apr 6 2015, 11:46pm

Post #13 of 29 (1702 views)
Shortcut
Tale of years in RotK only mentions when Bain became king... [In reply to] Can't Post

giving Third Age 2977 (most of the Hobbit movie happens in TA2941), his son Brand becomes king in 2007 and dies in the ring war in 3017, to be followed by Bard II. So if he was say 10 in the movie, then we can guess he died at age 76 - possible since there were several kings of Rohan who lived longer than that. But we know that PJ tightened up the time line, so who knows where he would have cut it. So, nothing conclusive. As usual, Tolkien left a lot up to the reader's imagination on such secondary details.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 7 2015, 12:12am

Post #14 of 29 (1680 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien avoided the issue. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The appendices give the birth dates of some of the characters. Does it specify when Bain was born? We know that Bain's son Brand was King of Dale at the time of LOTR, which was 80-ish years after the Hobbit, and that is a good long time for only three generations to have gone by.

No, the Tale of Years does not provide a birthdate for Bain and Tolkien never indicates when he was born to my knowledge. My conclusions represent my best guess according to the scant, available evidence.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 7 2015, 12:14am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 7 2015, 4:59am

Post #15 of 29 (1635 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but did they... [In reply to] Can't Post

look related to Bofur? They're Jimmy Nesbitt's daughters.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 7 2015, 7:30am

Post #16 of 29 (1586 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I like them.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...they play their parts well and help to flesh out Bard's character. And I think Bain's part in the death of Smaug is one of the highlights of the last film.

marary
Lorien

Apr 7 2015, 7:34am

Post #17 of 29 (1573 views)
Shortcut
haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe when Nesbitt is not in makeup they look like him. Smile That's awesome that his kids got to be in the movie, and I think they were very fine in those roles.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 7 2015, 11:49am

Post #18 of 29 (1548 views)
Shortcut
PJ has stated he wants to appeal to younger audiences [In reply to] Can't Post

therefore we have children Finally involved in Combat with Orcs.

@ Helm's deep some kids were shooting arrows & spears
but this is Close Quarters Combat.
Bain actually Kills one in Dale..

Bom finds it a Great thing that these 3 kids can go
through their long lives as Characters from "The Hobbit".

Wouldn't you have felt really lucky to have that chance?

bom for one, is SSOoo Happy for them.
Even in 10 years? it is Gunna be so cool to see them
talk about it on Panels @ Conventions.

Plus we get to see these 3 GROW UP!

IT's kinda like we get to
Adopt them!

From sentimental
ol' bomby
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Apr 7 2015, 11:53am)

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 7 2015, 12:49pm

Post #19 of 29 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the film's backstory for Bard enhanced the character and fit in well with the overall story. The idea that this family had lost their mother made their devotion to each other even more touching. I thought the children were charming and very believable. And as for ... "Look at me, Bain, you look at me." oh loved it Heart. That idea and how it was done was one of my favorites. For me, it was just such an inspired, memorable fantasy action moment. Loved it.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Apr 7 2015, 11:58pm

Post #20 of 29 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Everyone suspected Mrs. Bard of cheating with a Dwarf... [In reply to] Can't Post

hence the phrase, "Durin's Bain".

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Apr 8 2015, 12:10am

Post #21 of 29 (1356 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaha! // [In reply to] Can't Post

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 8 2015, 1:20am

Post #22 of 29 (1371 views)
Shortcut
I liked them a lot! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they were a good addition, and good for Bard's character - they gave him some extra character motivation. I also think that their acting was amazing. I especially loved Tilda - Mary Nesbitt played her very well and she was a darling. Smile

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 8 2015, 1:42am

Post #23 of 29 (1362 views)
Shortcut
Where have you BEEN Ron? [In reply to] Can't Post

WE need you desperately
to get people to Lighten UP!

Her Beard is WAyCOOL but..?
Shouldn't be Sorta... Wispy,
& MATCH her HAIR..?

Allow Bomby to "Nitpick" your Picture...
PLEASE!
bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Arveldis
Rivendell

Apr 8 2015, 4:11am

Post #24 of 29 (1312 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some have complained that Sigrid and Tilda just shriek alot and don't do anything, but I write that off to their being young and inexperienced.

After all, the first time they saw Orcs was probably during the attack on their own house. That's frightening! Plus, I highly doubt that the girls had been trained to do any fighting.

One thing to notice is that while Bain is busy taking care of an Orc in Dale, Sigrid does jump over Tilda to shield her. Sure, it's not actively fighting, but it's something.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 8 2015, 9:14am

Post #25 of 29 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Hehehe! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.