Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
**Fellowship of the Ring Discussion - Council of Elrond - Thread 1 of 4: “There is much to hear and decide” The start of the chapter. **
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 15 2015, 11:09am

Post #51 of 51 (860 views)
Shortcut
Dissatisfied dwarves, and why we hear from Gloin first [In reply to] Can't Post

I to wonder whether there are other agents than Wormtongue abroad - I suppose an Erebor version would have to be "Wormbeard" . Perhaps it is relevant that Sauron's messenger offers Moria as a bargaining chip in return for co-operation: maybe someone has been trying to set that up as a desirable item?

In Reply To
Does Elrond (as chair of the meeting) have any other motives for getting Gloin to present his account to the meeting at this point?
He probably needed the bathroom, and could trust the dwarf to talk for a long time without saying anything (like the late Thorin used to do).
Or else he thought this was a good way to catch Frodo's attention, as the tale of someone familiar.
Also everyone else's - as this is (possibly) the first time Sauron is named. Which seems to be the right introduction to Elrond's own speech.

I had always assumed that the un-described other business was a literary effect - Tolkien pointing out that Middle-earth has far more current affairs let alone history than we are getting here. The point about getting Frodo's attention suggests another theory - that a lot of the Council's business was going over Frodo's head (he was looking dreamily at those Pine Woods, or twiddling with Candy Crush Saga, perhaps). So we get his account of the meeting starting from when he woke up and started paying attention!

In Reply To
Wow - nobody interrupts for a whole page!
Playing with their mobiles under the table, I shouldn't wonder.

Wink Reminds me off someone saying to a conference room "well, I see a lot of people staring at their laps with intense interest, and I only hope you're on your mobiles..."

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.