Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did anyone [else] feel sorry for Saruman?

Curunir The White
The Shire

Apr 3 2015, 4:53pm

Post #1 of 5 (1342 views)
Shortcut
Did anyone [else] feel sorry for Saruman? Can't Post

As soon as Saruman came on screen; I'm sure many, if not all, got shivers on their arms. Seeing one of the primary antagonists being essentially one of the good guys in this film - and fighting for them.

However, whenever Sauron appears, Saruman turns and his eyes are wide open - whether with terror or surprise is uncertain. You can hear him whimper however whenever he raises his hand.

From what I know, nothing has been officially confirmed about Saruman holding his hand up (of course there was the rumour of him possessing Galadriel, shielding himself) but I felt very sorry for him, and the whimper is really what pulled a heart string and made his downfall all the more tragic. It wasn't like he was deliberately not attacking Sauron, he seemed far too scared to attack him and before that I had never really noticed Saruman ever being scared before. He always seemed to be in control, even when talking to Sauron through the Palantir in FotR.

Did anyone else feel sorry for him?

I am obsessed with Saruman - aspiring to know every last detail about him.

I like to think of myself as a Saru-scholar.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 5:01pm

Post #2 of 5 (1300 views)
Shortcut
Nope, not one bit... [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

marary
Lorien

Apr 3 2015, 6:14pm

Post #3 of 5 (1259 views)
Shortcut
I felt bad for him during the white council [In reply to] Can't Post

Because Gandalf and Galadriel were totally ignoring him and doing the telepathic equivalent of passing notes under the table.

No respect for the White Wizard. :(

KingTurgon
Rohan

Apr 3 2015, 7:29pm

Post #4 of 5 (1220 views)
Shortcut
I didn't feel sorry for him [In reply to] Can't Post

Because he was in charge and the one best equipped to deal with Sauron in BOFA (I don't think he was whimpering, I think he was just steeling himself for the confrontation), and he along with Elrond had just kicked the Nazgul's screaming buttocks. I do feel a bit sad when you see in ROTK how far he has fallen and how he can't turn away from his bad ways.

In BOFA though, he would be the #1 guy I would go to for help (assuming no foreknowledge of LOTR).

(This post was edited by KingTurgon on Apr 3 2015, 7:32pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 4 2015, 1:01am

Post #5 of 5 (1110 views)
Shortcut
The Choices of "Master Samwise Gamgee"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Succeeded ..

The Choices of "Saruman The Wise"...

SUCKED..?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.