The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Pony Observations

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 2 2015, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 12 (4169 views)
Shortcut
Pony Observations Can't Post

One of the things I enjoy with these movies and LotR (and I know so many others do too) is to watch what goes on in the background and other details. It's fun right? So here's my pony observations Blush

Right, so I've been observing the AUJ ponies because I'm a horse girl and I got nothing better to do hah.
Anyway so I've been trying to figure out who the ponies belong to and come to some sort of conclution.
We know their names are Bongo, Daisy, Myrtle and Minty.

Minty is named by Bilbo as his own. Though none of the ponies in the troll pen has her markings...
There's a black pony that looks like either Oin or Gloin's.
Then there's a dark brown one that might be Thorin's.
The final one is grey and is undoubtedly Fili's.

The troll we see with two ponies has Myrtle and Minty, one of them are grey so Fili's pony must be Minty. Making possibly Thorin's pony Daisy or Bongo Sly

Also the CGI ponies have no halters while the real ones does. It's so weird no one has noticed that when making the scene.

Also found out that the real name of the pony Kili rides is Teapot Heart

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 2 2015, 11:18pm

Post #2 of 12 (4105 views)
Shortcut
I don't really know [In reply to] Can't Post

But I thought this orange-brown furry one was Thorin's - and somewhere this was named Minty? I might have my ponies all mixed up though... Tongue
Or do some of the Company switch ponies at some point? I must confess I wasn't paying enough attention.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Apr 2 2015, 11:20pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 2 2015, 11:28pm

Post #3 of 12 (4088 views)
Shortcut
lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I've heard Minty was just a name fans decided to use? But of course this post is just for jokes of course. Laugh What do I know really anyway? I do remember that being the hair-tossing pony tho right? When Richard flicked his hair back so did the horse? XD

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 2 2015, 11:40pm

Post #4 of 12 (4079 views)
Shortcut
That's the one :D [In reply to] Can't Post

The famous hair flick! Laugh I really have no idea where I got the impression that this was Minty - possibly not Minty at all. Still cute. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 12:08am

Post #5 of 12 (4064 views)
Shortcut
'Teapot' ? Where's Dormouse? // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Also found out that the real name of the pony Kili rides is Teapot Heart

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 3:59am

Post #6 of 12 (4024 views)
Shortcut
Minty is the real name [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember someone (maybe Fili) says that the trolls have taken Myrtle and Minty.
Minty is normally a name for a grey horse or pony, for obvious reasons.

As for the magical halters, they are just keeping up the magic tack tradition. Remember Brego's magical bit in The Two Towers? Laugh

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 8:04am

Post #7 of 12 (3978 views)
Shortcut
psst..... here I am! [In reply to] Can't Post

(And the teapot is pleased to have a teeny foothold - or at least four hooves - in the film! Tongue )

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 3:11pm

Post #8 of 12 (3867 views)
Shortcut
As you should! I think that concidence is so very fitting! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(And the teapot is pleased to have a teeny foothold - or at least four hooves - in the film! Tongue )

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 3:41pm

Post #9 of 12 (3862 views)
Shortcut
Random pony comments [In reply to] Can't Post

This gorgeous shot from an AUJ trailer never did show up in the film, not even the EE.Frown

Richard Armitage in the Appendices mentions his horse by its real name - Shaman - as does Adam Brown - Pot Pie. RA talks about how well he gets on with his horse....

Thorin's #Majestic bearing TongueTongueTongue even on a fluffy pony provides a great source of fun for parodists and cartoonists 'round the Net, with lots of references to "My Little Pony" LaughLaughLaugh. (According to the WETA books, PJ loved the idea of dumpy fluffy ponies, so the ponies had their own little furry suits - having shed their winter coats when filming was going on).

This shot of Thorin with the ponies in the background became a widely-used PR image and even New Zealand stamp, but never shows up in the films.

Fili and Kili ride together and help Bilbo onto a pony.LaughLaughLaugh

Beorn's beautiful Gypsy Vanner ponies are never on screen long enoughFrownFrownFrown.

And because it's Easter - Radagast doesn't use ponies....Wink

(This post was edited by Avandel on Apr 3 2015, 3:49pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 4:04pm

Post #10 of 12 (3863 views)
Shortcut
Your "Raddy Drawing" is a REAL TREAT! [In reply to] Can't Post

bomby will be giggling
all the Way through Sunday!

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 5:18pm

Post #11 of 12 (3809 views)
Shortcut
OH! Yea..The Most Timid Dwave?.. ORI [In reply to] Can't Post

rides on a Little Teapot?

Bom loves underdogs....
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 7:52pm

Post #12 of 12 (3771 views)
Shortcut
May you have MUCH CHOCOLATE [In reply to] Can't Post

And peeps.

*snigger*

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.