Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why did they name the hedgehog Sebastian?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 2 2015, 12:33pm

Post #1 of 27 (1972 views)
Shortcut
Why did they name the hedgehog Sebastian? Can't Post

With all the Elvish names David Salo (or whoever did the language for TH) could've come up with, or nature names, or anything more Middle-earthy, the fact that they named a hedgehog Sebastian has bugged me since I saw AUJ the first time! Anyone know what the facts are behind that decision?

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 12:39pm

Post #2 of 27 (1880 views)
Shortcut
You too, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

My instant reaction to that was -WHAT? I thought I hadn't heard him properly. I just ignore it now and accept it as part of the film. It is such a beautifully rendered hedgehog....

I haven't heard or read any comment on the name at all, but I'd lay odds that it's a Sylvester McCoy ad-lib that was allowed to stay in.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 12:45pm

Post #3 of 27 (1867 views)
Shortcut
Sebastian is the name of PJ's Assistant. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was explained somewhere in a video
that they named him that... in honor of
PJ's helper.

Which in Bomby's opinion is WAyCOOL!
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 12:47pm

Post #4 of 27 (1862 views)
Shortcut
Oh right - in that case I shall think better of it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a very nice reason - his name gets a cameo! Wink

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 12:56pm

Post #5 of 27 (1851 views)
Shortcut
In many ways Sebastian is PJ's Arm's & Leg's [In reply to] Can't Post

Not only bringing him teas about 22 times a day.
He probably has much to do SSoo.. PJ
can be
concentrating on the Film.

Radioing staff? that He can't do
Hunting down from Set to Set...
people that PJ needs soon,
or delaying meetings, etc.

Bom & many of you
WOULD consider that
A DREAM job.!!!

Every Genuis needzz.. a "GoFor"

Yeah Sebastian!
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

sador
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 1:19pm

Post #6 of 27 (1850 views)
Shortcut
Could this be the reason? [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFUKNRjTbqk

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 2 2015, 2:11pm

Post #7 of 27 (1808 views)
Shortcut
The Catholic St. Sebastian... [In reply to] Can't Post

was martyred by the Romans, who shot him full of arrows. He is usually depicted in Renaissance art tied to a post with arrows in his chest. Hedgehog = pincushion.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 2 2015, 2:16pm

Post #8 of 27 (1798 views)
Shortcut
Because of... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sebastian Meek, PJ's personal assistant.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 2:20pm

Post #9 of 27 (1791 views)
Shortcut
Someday Bomby hopes we will get a definative [In reply to] Can't Post

LIST of Cameos!

Example: Glen Boswell?
was in the "Inner Circle on Set", often since he was
the Over-All Stunt Coordinator..{Australian Chap}.

Did you know he played the Dwarf
that FIRST, found the Arkenstone?
in the Prologue...

Bom picks up on this stuff
since being in Theaters & Arenas
backstage for years.

Someday it will Finally be found out?
Where 2 of our very OWN,{TORnsibs} here!
Are in Laketown & Fighting in Dale...

Their Embargo HAS to be lifted
Sometime soon.

{Hint? Hint?}
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2015, 2:28pm

Post #10 of 27 (1789 views)
Shortcut
People in ME seem to name their animals whatever they fancy [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure Sebastian is any more difficult than Bill.

If anything, it suggests more about Radagast than it does about the hedgehog - his lack of pomp and circumstance, his almost hobbit-ish qualities and his distance from the "higher" end of magic.

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Apr 2 2015, 2:28pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 2:32pm

Post #11 of 27 (1776 views)
Shortcut
S. Meek can be seen in the "Survivors on the Shore" [In reply to] Can't Post

the morning after Laketown was destroyed.
He is VERY Tall, & passes a Basket from
Left to right in a Quick shot..VERY early in the scene.

He could also, be be in other shots there
but bom hasn't spotted him yet?

TheHUTT is a Great source of Trivia in these Movies
he is also, VERY involved very Much in
Germany's "Hobbitcon".

SSOoo..a confirmation from HIM
is a good thingie...
Heart

www.charlie-art.biz

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Apr 2 2015, 2:37pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 2:40pm

Post #12 of 27 (1778 views)
Shortcut
That's true too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose I'm just used to Bill, so it's not a surprise. Sebastian always reminds me of a French children's TV series that used to be on many years ago - 'Belle and Sébastian' - small boy, large Pyrennean mountain dog.

But I'm now entirely converted to Sebastian the hedgehog, so that's OK.

(STOP PRESS - posts on TORn change someone's mind! Cool )

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Apr 2 2015, 6:11pm

Post #13 of 27 (1665 views)
Shortcut
PJ named him that as a tribute to Tolkien's biggest fan... [In reply to] Can't Post

Me!

Cool

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 7:23pm

Post #14 of 27 (1620 views)
Shortcut
I don't know how "accurate" name generators are.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sebastian means venerable in Latin and venerable hedgehog is
Mablung Falassion.....Sebastian / Falassion...hmm, close.

http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/index.php

Roheryn1
The Shire

Apr 2 2015, 9:34pm

Post #15 of 27 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Sebastian/Falassion ? [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm..good try. I still don't like it, although I admit Bill should be just as out-worldly, but it somehow doesn't bother me as much.I also don't like the Master's portrait - looks far too Netherlands 17th century.

(This post was edited by Roheryn1 on Apr 2 2015, 9:35pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 3:57am

Post #16 of 27 (1522 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it was very much for effect rather than period authenticity. I kept expecting [In reply to] Can't Post

Blackadder to pop up....with a brilliant plan.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Apr 3 2015, 11:13am

Post #17 of 27 (1470 views)
Shortcut
genarators (or this one anyway) [In reply to] Can't Post

That generator isn't accurate at all, except for following its own "program" (if that's the right word, probably not). It has nothing to do with meaning anyway, and works by way (some computery way) of first and last letter recognition...

... or something.

... coincidentally, I just found out that if your name is Regina, you will, very luckily it seems, get a name that seems to be an actual translation!

But you'll also get a generated name here if you put in random Roman letters...

... or the whole Roman Aplhabet into one box Smile

Elthir
Grey Havens

Apr 3 2015, 11:35am

Post #18 of 27 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Bill is Hobbitish... but Sebastian... [In reply to] Can't Post

In his guise as translator, Tolkien notes (Appendix F) that: "Names of classical origin have rarely been used; for the nearest equivalents to Latin and Greek in Shire lore were the Elvish tongues, and these the Hobbits seldom used in nomenclature."

Sebastian has a Latin and Greek etymology -- well I'm no linguist, but that's what several web sites are telling me anyway. I checked three at least. Of course Radagast is not a Hobbit. True enough but the Elvish tongues were available, as you say, for name-making.

Bill fits in a Hobbitish mode arguably because we have Hobbit names like Sam, Tom, Tim, Mat... but Tolkien also notes that he has not used names of Hebraic or similar origins, and that these abbreviated forms were really short for Tomba, Tolma, Matta... while Sam was really called Ban, for short.

And was Bill short for Bilba? Bilbo's actual Hobbit name? Hmm Smile

Cue a mention of William Huggins the Troll... and the obvious response from Tolkien in a letter about that.

Anyway, if what has been noted in this thread is true, once again Jackson had his own motives in any case.

Elthir
Grey Havens

Apr 3 2015, 12:10pm

Post #19 of 27 (1449 views)
Shortcut
Bill the Ferny [In reply to] Can't Post

And was Bill short for Bilba? Bilbo's actual Hobbit name? Hmm Smile

Bill Ferny being noted here, in any case... before someone notes it Tongue

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 6:03pm

Post #20 of 27 (1397 views)
Shortcut
Looking at some actual Sindarin and Quenya word lists [In reply to] Can't Post

Sindarin:
hedge ◈ cai S. [kˈɑj] n. hedge ◇ UT/282
tiny ◈ mîw N. [mˈiːw] adj. small, tiny, frail ◇ VT/45:35 ◈ pigen N. [pˈigɛn] adj. tiny ◇ Ety/382 ◈ tithen N. [tˈiθɛn] pl. tithin N. [tˈiθin] adj. little, tiny ◇ Ety/394
learned ◈ golwen N. [gˈɔlwɛn] adj. wise, learned in deep arts ◇ Ety/377 ◈ istui N. [ˈistuj] adj. learned ◇ Ety/361
animal ◈ lavan S. [lˈɑvɑn] pl. levain S. [lˈɛvɑjn] n. Zool. animal (usually applied to four-footed beasts, and never to reptiles or birds) ◇ WJ/388, WJ/416 ◈ *tad-dal S. [tˈɑd.dɑl] pl. tad-dail S. [tˈɑd.dɑjl] n. and adj. Zool. biped, two-legged animal ◇ WJ/388

So, one attempt could be Istui Tithen Iavan Golwen Cai - Learned small wise hedge animal.

Istuitithengolwencai....sounds like Sebastian. ;)

http://www.jrrvf.com/...ndar/dict-en-sd.html

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Apr 3 2015, 6:03pm)

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 3 2015, 6:15pm

Post #21 of 27 (1389 views)
Shortcut
Quenya [In reply to] Can't Post

SMALL níca, *nincë / Pitya
istima (wise, learned)
ANIMAL #celva (only pl. celvar is attested, translated "animals, living things that move" in Silm appendix and WJ:341); laman (pl. lamni or lamani) ("usually only applied to four-footed beasts, and never to reptiles and birds"); MALE ANIMAL hanu (male) –Silm:52/53,/405:3AN, WJ:416
HEDGE (jagged hedge of spikes) caraxë –KARAK
PRICK erca-, nasta- (sting); PRICKLE, SPINE erca –ERÉK, NAS

So, another attempt...Pitya istima erca karak celva - small wise prickly hedge animal -
Pityaistimaercakarakcelva....sounds like Sebastian. ;)
Or..Nicaistimaercakarakcelva

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/wordlists.htm

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 3 2015, 11:08pm

Post #22 of 27 (1355 views)
Shortcut
Other our-worldly names in TH... [In reply to] Can't Post

...are Tom, Bert and William Huggins: the three trolls.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 4 2015, 12:49pm

Post #23 of 27 (1303 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien Anglicized hobbit names from original Westron... [In reply to] Can't Post

So Tim, Tom, Sam, Mat, Bill, Bob, Nob all represent peasant or villein names found in England. But the further hobbits climb up the halfling ladder of high society, their names get more and more absurdly grand and un-English.

In perusing the hobbit geneologies, one can’t help but notice the 'wealth' of ornate names bequeathed to scions of upper class Hobbit families. We have scholary references in Gerontius (from Cardinal Newman's Dream of Gerontius), Isengrim (from the Latin Ysengrimus, a wolf of early European tales like Reynard the Fox), Adelard (Adelard of Bath, a scholastic philosopher), Odovacar (a Gothic king) and Heribald (mentioned in Bede's Historiam Ecclesiasticam Gentis Anglorum); Latinate forms such as Belladonna, Hugo and Gundolpho; Frankish or Norman forms in Odo, Otho, Otto and Fredegar; from Spain, Esmerelda, Ferdinand and Sancho; from the Welsh, Meriadoc, Gorbadoc, Gormodoc, etc.; and a scattering of Germanic names like Filibert and Gerda.

Hobbits putting on airs.Wink

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Apr 4 2015, 12:50pm)

Elthir
Grey Havens

Apr 4 2015, 3:32pm

Post #24 of 27 (1280 views)
Shortcut
translation and so on [In reply to] Can't Post

That's true, and as you surely know, some of the Hobbit names are meant to be true Westron names, like Bilba, and surprisingly enough (perhaps), the implication of Appendix F seems to be that the Celtic sounding names are the actual names... aside from Meriadoc for instance (really Kalimac)!

Although that said, if we have any Latin examples I suppose we must emphasize Tolkien's "rarely" (used names of classical origin for Hobbits -- for the high sounding names JRRT seems to emphasize "largely" Frankish or Gothic), and allow that Sebastian could be considered Hobbitish in this sense, despite my implication earlier...

... and despite that Radagast is no Hobbit in any event, obviously.

So thanks Morthoron Smile

By the way, is "Barrow-downs" down (I think you post there)?

(This post was edited by Elthir on Apr 4 2015, 3:41pm)

Morthoron
Gondor

Apr 4 2015, 4:07pm

Post #25 of 27 (1264 views)
Shortcut
Well, as I stated some time ago... [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole presentation of Radagast by Peter Jackson is a direct lift T.H. White's Merlyn in The Once and Future King, and anyone who has read the book will know it is not coincidental. From the bird guano on his hat, to his outlandish home, to his friendship with a hedgehog. In Merlyn's case the hedgehog (referred to as "Urchin") had a wonderful Northumbrian accent ("Ah, don't 'ee nip our tender vitals, lovely Measter Brock, for 'ee wor a proper gennelman, 'ee wor.") and referred to King Arthur as "Your Maggy's Tea" or simply "Tiggy" when he got lazy.

As far as the name "Sebastian", the word was as off-putting from a suspension of disbelief standpoint as Radagast's ridiculous rabbit sled. It neither fits from a Middle-earth nomenclature point of view (although, we know some Latinization appears among hobbits, but that is more from an absurdist Halfling angle), nor a name a Maia would simply pull from a hat. Where would it come from? Radagast's home in Rhovanion (Rhosgobel to be exact), where he lived for centuries, would not yield such a name amongst mortal men. The naming conventions Tolkien supplied would be either Gothic (like Vidugavia or Vinitharya) or Anglo-Saxon/Norse (Beorn, Bard, Fram, Scatha, Éothéod). Not many Italians in Mirkwood.Tongue

But then, I thought Jackson's whole presentation of The Hobbit was horribly mangled.Wink

P.S. Yes, the Barrow-Downs was hacked and is offline. We are hoping to get it back up and running as it is a cherished Middle-earth online site.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Apr 4 2015, 4:10pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.