The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Fellowship of the ring Edit

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2015, 11:29pm

Post #1 of 6 (1439 views)
Shortcut
Fellowship of the ring Edit Can't Post

So I made a edit for myself just for fun and without sharing purpouses.

I divided it into two books (as in the book)

My point was to make a version as close as possible to the book.

I found that by shortening the movies Ii could get a closer version (so, the hobbit trilogy is not bloated, LOTR movies are more bloated than TH, there is A LOT of non book material in LOTR movies, and FOTR is , I think, the movie among the 6 that has suffered drastic changes)

So I cutted out A TONE of stuff. But I made some COOL changes. This versions are for those who have read the books, so if some transitions could seem odd, you will know, if you are a book lover, what happened in those little gaps, and that will make you smile, probably, because the flow of the book is much clearer here.

So book I

No prologue, hobbit and the shire straight. I have used AUJ intro and completed the morning scene between Bilbo and Frodo in Bag End, works perfectly.

Nnothing about the enemy, (no barad dur , minas tirith research, nazgul coming forth, nothing). After Gandalf says Frodo to leave, we see that shot of ROTK ending where Frodo is wandering in bag end (as if he is thinking to set of with the ring) Then he does at night (Bilbo´s back leaving Bag End).

Then we go to the encounter with the black rider, the nazgul suddenly disapears like he is fleeing (and he is) inmediatly he is gone Ffrodo and Sam pop up from behind the tree to find the wood elves.

Then they go to Magot´s, no encounter on the corn field. We see that hobbit with the dog that sends the black rider to hobbiton, and after the rider is gone we see the shoots of the hobbits in beds that appeared in Bree. You can understand that Magot givesém shelter, then, after that we see the two wide shoots of Gandalf´s charriot at the end of ROTK, but instead going to grey havens, is Mmagot´s chariot traveling the hobbits to the ferry. (I darkened the images and added some ominous music)

Then the ferry as in the movie.

But here comes the most interesting, THE OLD FOREST. I cutted the close ups of Merry and Pippin in TTT, when Merry says to Pippin that the trees in the old forest are alive. It´s only close ups so it seems that they are still in the ferry. Then added some shots of walking in the woods. After that I putted the scene in TTT EE where Merry and Pippin are trapped by the old man willow. I putted the quick shot of Ffrodo and Sam when they are leaving the shire and they heard a noise of a bird, as if they have lost the track of the other two hobbits. We hear the voice of Threebeard off camera. After that, we see some shots of Frodo and Sam walking in Emyn Muil in TTT. Those scenes are not in the book, so I putted them here because they are so close of the barrow downs. It seems that they are lost Merry and Pippin and suddenly Frodo falls into the water (dead marshes) and see this green faces wich I have always identified with the barrow wights. Suddenly someone pulls him of the water and he appears in a field, and he sees Goldberry (Galadriel in the shot of ROTK were she encourages Frodo like in a vision) and then fade to withe and we see the ship into valinor, another fade to withe and suddenly Frodo awakes of a dream(is the shot where he awakes in Amon Sul and see the other Hobbits are beside him. It has all appeared like a dream(the old forest experience) but some of the main points of that part of the book are there: old man willow, the barrow wights, Goldberry(well its Galadriel but in that shot she is so weird that could have been another person) and the dream-vision Frodo had in Tom´s house.

Then we go to Bree, and there they start party (the Green dragon piece of the EE were they sing,) and in the dancing Frodo flips and falls and puts the ring on his finger

We cut then to the journey to Rivendell, until right after Frodo his hurt that we can see the scene between him and Aragorn where they talk about Beren and Lluthien in order to make the journey to Rivendell longer

Then Frodo gets worse, and Arwen appears, she rides but not summons the flood, nor the hobbits get their swords from Aragorn, etc. Frodo falls and end of book one.

BOOK TWO

Frodo awakes and finds Gandalf, but he doesnt says anything of what happened. Then the council of Elrond starts. Ii putted here the proloue without narration, then Elrond and Isildur on Mt.Doom, and then Isildurs death, then it follows the opening scene of ROTK with Smeagol and Deagol, then the part of AUJ where Bilbo finds the ring, then all the parts of Gandalf´s quest: going to Minas Tirith, going to Saruman, escaping Saruman. after that Boromir stands and we see the flashback of Gondor, with Faramir and Denethor. Then the council goes on without Bboromir disbelieving Aragorn.

The council ends and after that we see Arwen going for the shards of Narsil and Elrond reforging the sword and giving it to Aragorn, and he accepts it without question.

Then Bilbo gives Frodo Sting. And the company departs.

We see then the company having a rest, but Legolas spots something, this are not crows, but the wargs of TTT. I mixed here both movies with pieces of the warg chase of Auj. Tthe landscape in the three movies is so alike here that it fits and it seems that they are attacked by wargs(as in the book) but they hide.

Then to Carathras, but not Saruman trolling(LOL). And then Moria, No fight with the watcher, only a moment of tension, no messy stairs.

Lothlorien is worked to show Galadriel like a fair being, not a witch, until the evil queen moment.

Then the Anduin, where they are navigating and instead spoting the uruks, they see a nazgul flying. I used here the footage of TTT where the Nazgul reveals itself(this moment actually belongs to FOTR book) the nazgul flies above them and Legolas shoots him. I used here the shot of TTT where the nazgul gets hurt by Faramir. And then the Nazgul passes away.

The ending is more or less as in the book, following only Frodo, who doesnt encounter Aragorn before leave.

Well it has been crazy. Im following the books with the others too. But it has been worthy, and in time to come watching this in a row will give me a unique sense of closenes to our beloved book

:)

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

Hobbit Cinema Marathon Hero

(This post was edited by Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) on Apr 1 2015, 11:34pm)

Gianna
Rohan

Apr 2 2015, 1:25am

Post #2 of 6 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Sounds really cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially liked reading how you managed to put in the Old Forest! (Just goes to show that fan editing is more of a creative process than many people would think!) I would love to see how that part worked. I think it's also neat how you used parts of AUJ to enrich the LOTR story.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2015, 6:37am

Post #3 of 6 (1392 views)
Shortcut
Proud to say I was able to put in Crickhollow aswell [In reply to] Can't Post

I changed the shots of the hobbits sleeping and putted them just after the shots where Ffrodo and Sam are walking trough the shire

Friendship of the four has been stablished, so it looks like they have met Merry and Pippin in a house (Crickhollow) and that they are resting, they ear a Nazgul scream and wake up in fear

Then after this I´ll put some shots of the four walking and then the encounter with the Nazgul under the tree

:)

Next books are coming...

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Apr 5 2015, 3:55pm

Post #4 of 6 (1238 views)
Shortcut
that does sound very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I was reading this wondering how in the world you managed all that, were you going to split the other ones into book as well, like show all of what happens to Aragorn and Gandalf and the rest and than the second half deals with just Frodo and Sam?

I too once thought about editing LOTR but it was too much work lol but was going to leave FOTR alone because it already seemed pretty close enough to me

did you try to put in the 20 year gap too? like add a subtitle saying 20 years later?

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 5 2015, 5:17pm

Post #5 of 6 (1227 views)
Shortcut
Yehap all is there, the gaps, tom , and goldberry, the scouring of the shire... [In reply to] Can't Post

I will give more details this weekends but the aim is to split it exactly as the book.

The most difficult ones are Bombadil, and the Scouring, but I make it to look like Frodo because of the influence of the ring is able to dream, and see beyond, so, the old forest experience and the scouring of the shire are shown like "bad dreams" but it was the best way I could do it for the moment, but they are there, I mean, this is for book lovers so if you are aware of all those things you will find it very interesting

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Apr 5 2015, 11:13pm

Post #6 of 6 (1213 views)
Shortcut
Anduril [In reply to] Can't Post

Even Narsil being reforged before the Fellowship sets out? that was really the only thing I was going to do in mine

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.