The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The other shoe has finally dropped

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 10:20pm

Post #1 of 15 (1390 views)
Shortcut
The other shoe has finally dropped Can't Post

This morning I got a buzz from my receptionist, saying that someone was here to see me. I was surprised, because I did not have any appointments scheduled, but I went downstairs to see who it was. I found a well-dressed, young woman who politely asked me in a slightly British accent whether I was Douglas Charles Kane. When I said that I was, she handed me an envelope, and then left. When I opened the envelope, this is what I found:

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 1 2015, 10:38pm

Post #2 of 15 (1329 views)
Shortcut
ALL IS DISCOVERED - FLEE AT ONCE. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

"The Corsairs of Umbar!" men shouted. "The Corsairs of Umbar! Look! The Corsairs of Umbar are coming! So Belfalas is taken, and the Ethir, and Lebennin is gone. The Cosairs are upon us! It is the last stroke of doom!"

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 11:03pm

Post #3 of 15 (1324 views)
Shortcut
That's an intimidating looking document...// [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 12:11am

Post #4 of 15 (1344 views)
Shortcut
It is a puzzlement [In reply to] Can't Post

Wait - when you wrote your book on the roots of the Silmarillion using the sources in History of Middle-earth, did your publisher not acquire you the rights to quote from your sources?

That seems so unlikely to me. What's this about?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 2 2015, 12:22pm

Post #5 of 15 (1306 views)
Shortcut
What its about ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is that yesterday was April 1.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

squire
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 5:35pm

Post #6 of 15 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Gah [In reply to] Can't Post

You got me. The idea of the process server having a British accent should have tipped it. Excellent job!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 2 2015, 5:40pm

Post #7 of 15 (1265 views)
Shortcut
:-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hall of Fire

sador
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 6:51pm

Post #8 of 15 (1266 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't by the time I read your message. [In reply to] Can't Post

By then, the foolishness on TORn was over, so I thought the pranks were done with.
But I checked HoF and saw there was nothing there, so I was puzzled indeed.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 7:22pm

Post #9 of 15 (1254 views)
Shortcut
You know so well the layman's reaction to Scary Legal Documents! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm glad you have a secret name you can disappear into, just in case. Wink

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 2 2015, 7:24pm

Post #10 of 15 (1255 views)
Shortcut
It is there [In reply to] Can't Post

Look in Bag End.

The Hall of Fire

sador
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 7:31pm

Post #11 of 15 (1252 views)
Shortcut
Ah! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't log in, just looked around in the public forums.
But I still remember my password, so perhaps I will.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 8 2015, 1:43am

Post #12 of 15 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Litigation, the sincerest form of flattery [In reply to] Can't Post

have to admit you had me quaking on your behalf -- good one V. :)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 8 2015, 1:55am

Post #13 of 15 (1076 views)
Shortcut

The Hall of Fire

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Apr 8 2015, 7:38pm

Post #14 of 15 (1055 views)
Shortcut
I was like... [In reply to] Can't Post

WHAT????? And then I was like: "That is so epic! Something from Christopher and Priscilla Tolkien! Even though it's condemning you!" And then I took a double-take and thought of the date. Good one! You really got me! =) I'm really gullible. It's my greatest fault.

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 8 2015, 7:56pm

Post #15 of 15 (1046 views)
Shortcut

The Hall of Fire

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.