The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TheOneRing.net sued by World Wrestling Entertainment

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 1 2015, 1:37am

Post #1 of 17 (1683 views)
Shortcut
TheOneRing.net sued by World Wrestling Entertainment Can't Post

TheOneRing.net, the largest Tolkien-related fan-site on the internet, and World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE), professional wrestling entertainment powerhouse, have been unable to resolve recent legal disputes over TheOneRing.net name. TheOneRing.net’s desires to keep the communications private were dashed this week, with WWE breaking off discussions and proceeding with a copyright infringement claim in court.

"Clearly the 'one ring' refers to our wrestling ring," said WWE Majority Owner and CEO Vince McMahon in a prepared statement, "and we are confident that any jury will recognize that. When someone is searching online for the 'one ring,' they want to find out more about WWE."

Chris Pirrotta, founder of TheOneRing.net, disagrees. "While I respect the integrity and success of the world of professional wrestling and the WWE, I believe there are many different uses of the word 'ring' and reject WWE's assertion of a monopoly over the term."

WWE is no stranger to the courtroom, having lost their previous initials (WWF) in 2002 after the World Wildlife Fund sued the wrestling company over a broken agreement. Pirotta is quick to point out that he has no issue with WWE's terminology. "They're welcome to use the word 'ring'. They're welcome to call their ring the 'one ring'. We just ask that we be allowed to keep our name. There's never been any confusion in the past."

McMahon disagrees, however, saying "our market research shows tells us that approximately 90%" of first-time visitors to TheOneRing.net are looking for information about WWE superstars such as Roman Reigns or John Cena. "Quite frankly," he continues, "I doubt that many people have actually read Mr. Tolstoy's books and even fewer know about the films."

Cliff Broadway, who contributes to TheOneRing.net under the pseudonym "Quickbeam", believes there is only one way to solve the dispute. "I am issuing a challenge to WWE Champion Brock Lesnar for a match at Summerslam," he says, referring to the upcoming wrestling event. "It will be the WWE Title versus TheOneRing.net name where winner takes all. And I think WWE will find Hell hath no fury like an Ent scorned."

As of yet, WWE has not responded to the challenge, and TheOneRing.net continues to post news related to The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and the associated personalities.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 9:55am

Post #2 of 17 (1622 views)
Shortcut
Heh heh - thats ENTertainment! [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 11:54am

Post #3 of 17 (1617 views)
Shortcut
Well - that's how *I* got here [In reply to] Can't Post

I mistyped Rowdy Roddy Piper in Google and ended up in the middle of a discussion about that rowdy, rotten Pippen.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 12:06pm

Post #4 of 17 (1614 views)
Shortcut
I do love that Mr. Tolstoy [In reply to] Can't Post

Just such a shame he stole so much from Harry Potter.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 2:06pm

Post #5 of 17 (1605 views)
Shortcut
You're never gonna believe this, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I have it on the best of authority that pro wrestling is fixed!

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 2:13pm

Post #6 of 17 (1599 views)
Shortcut
I used to be a fan of pro wrestling! [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I turned eleven.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 2:40pm

Post #7 of 17 (1596 views)
Shortcut
I used to BE a pro-wrestler! [In reply to] Can't Post

April Took! Made-ya look!!!

I just couldn't resist :P

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 2:49pm

Post #8 of 17 (1590 views)
Shortcut
Ya' never know! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
April Took! Made-ya look!!!

I just couldn't resist :P

In the '60s and early '70s there was a wrestler in the WNY area who competed as Batman in the Ring. Apparently he had permission from DC Comics and/or the people connected to the TV show. Article: 1970's WWWF Wrestler Tony Marino was BATTMAN!!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 3:55pm

Post #9 of 17 (1572 views)
Shortcut
*double snort* // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I used to be a fan of pro wrestling! Then I turned eleven.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 3:58pm

Post #10 of 17 (1577 views)
Shortcut
I can't take credit. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was either quoting or paraphrasing someone else, but I can't remember who!

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 4:20pm

Post #11 of 17 (1576 views)
Shortcut
John Cena [In reply to] Can't Post

I know that's how I got here. Tongue

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

RosieLass
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 4:21pm

Post #12 of 17 (1576 views)
Shortcut
I was an adult. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I still found it entertaining.

And the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling were even better, because they didn't even pretend to be serious. Laugh

"Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it."
--Joyce Meyer

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP
--Leonard Nimoy

emre43
Rohan

Apr 1 2015, 5:26pm

Post #13 of 17 (1563 views)
Shortcut
I fell for it hahaha [In reply to] Can't Post

Only when I read a comment did I realise

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 6:45pm

Post #14 of 17 (1551 views)
Shortcut
Holy Stretched-out leos, Batman! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 6:58pm

Post #15 of 17 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Which I just read as "elven" [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe that's exactly what you meant.Laugh

Donry
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2015, 8:19pm

Post #16 of 17 (1557 views)
Shortcut
Suplex... [In reply to] Can't Post

any quotes from the Iron Sheik? Probably family friendly.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Celedor
Rivendell

Apr 1 2015, 8:56pm

Post #17 of 17 (1536 views)
Shortcut
Bodyslam [In reply to] Can't Post

Some TORN writer apparently has too much time on his hands!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.