TheOneRing.net to unplug, sail into The West
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 1 2015, 1:36am

Post #1 of 75 (3443 views)
Shortcut
TheOneRing.net to unplug, sail into The West Can't Post

KENOSHA, WISCONSIN -- An official press release is scheduled for tomorrow, but we, the TORn founders and staff, want to notify all those who have supported us for the past 15 years that TheOneRing.net is shutting down.

The final decision was communicated in an all-staff conference call over the weekend, but it has been discussed for months, speculated about for years, and we've cracked jokes about it from podiums at conventions (that nobody took seriously at the time), but now the long-dreaded hour is finally upon us.

The four TORn Founders (Erica Challis, Chris Pirrotta, Mike Regina and William Thomas) reached a tentative decision last week, discussed it with Senior Staff (identities top secret), then included world-wide staff, active and inactive, on the weekend conference call.

"We have a real sense of accomplishment that the purpose of the website has been fulfilled," said Regina on the call. "Erica and I were interested in "some guy" in New Zealand adapting "The Lord of the Rings" into movies, and when Chris and Bill found us it really elevated the effort. The next thing you know it became far more than the hobby we envisioned."

"It's the perfect time to go out on a high note, fresh off the recent success of the Hobbit movies and The One Last Party," said Challis. "It is still our collective baby, but the four of us just feel content that it has run its course."

Pirrotta agreed with that sentiment, pointing out how much of a commitment 15 years is: "I was in college when this started with time to sit in a computer lab. All of us have jobs and kids and responsibilities now. We stayed true to our vision, didn't sell the website for millions when offered, and we can all feel good about that."

Thomas offered more practical reasons: "We made a commitment to not make a profit and to give the site away if we did. We accomplished that and I'm proud that we kept the site pure. Plus, Star Wars is back, so we can all follow our true love again. Remember, TORn was just an ode to The Force dot net anyway.

The call included a period of open discussion about different ways the site might possibly change hands and continue on, including the following options:

- Selling the site to the highest bidder.

- Giving TORn to Peter Jackson, perhaps on his birthday in October since, after all, what do you get the man who has everything?

- Holding an essay contest with a $25 entry fee and then gifting the site to the essay winner.

- Holding an annual drawing from all registered users, with management of the site going to the first five names drawn.

- Holding a Middle-earth Madness style bracket with staffers names, with the winner owning the site. Unfortunately, there were more than 64 names and it was believed that somehow, Thranduil would manage to win.
Toward the end of the call the staff voted, and by a slim margin the decision was made to shut down the site rather than continue on without the full support and leadership of the founders. In further discussion, however, contending that certain parts of the site were emotionally owned by others did, the Sr. Staff won the following concessions from the Founders:

Several writers on staff will collaborate on a book that will be titled: "The Rise and Death of TheOneRing.net." The final words of the book have already been voted on and approved. "The End," was agreed upon unanimously.

In addition, certain segments will continue on, but not under TheOneRing.net banner:

The weekly live-stream "TORn Tuesday" will now be called: "Tuesdays with Cliff and Justin." Cliff will no longer use the name Quickbeam to avoid legal hassles. To avoid pressure from the Tolkien estate, "The Happy Hobbits," will also change the name to "The Happy Halflings," and introduce a Dungeons and Dragons flavor. The TORn Book Club is negotiating with Screen Junkies ("Honest Trailers") to create a new spinoff show: "Book Junkies."

The message boards will move to The Pirate Bay and become a repository and center of discussion for fan edits, screen captures, and pirated copies of the films and books. Facebook will become a digital monument of sorts. TORn Twitter may continue, but just retweeting staffers. Of the Founders, only Regina was aware there even was a Twitter account.

The Founders and Sr. Staff are now faced with a number of logistical challenges. The collection of gifted movie props, artists proofs and collectibles currently sitting in the TORn warehouse (location undisclosed), must be given back to actors, directors, and the studios. The "TORn Book of Unknown Tolkien and Jackson Movie Lore" will have to be burned. The TORn servers and excess t-shirts of various sizes will have to be disposed of. "We're tossing around the idea of auctioning everything off and donating it to a fund dedicated to reviving the "Firefly" series," said Michael Regina.

In the meantime, staff will have grief counselors available during the transition to help with ideas for what to do with their new-found free time.

Wingnut Films, Peter Jackson, the Tolkien Estate, Warner Bros. and actors from Peter Jackson's movies have also been notified. Following the press release tomorrow, the founders and Sr. Staff will be hosting an "Ask Me Anything," session on Reddit.

Following is a preview of various quotes about the ending of TORn (strictly off the record):

"My plans to film "The History of Middle-earth" series seem a bit empty now. The support between us and TORn over the years has been mutual. They said the 10-volume history set was un-filmable and for the first time, I think maybe it is. I wish you all well, and congrats on knowing when to quit," -- Peter Jackson

"Who? What?" -- the Tolkien Estate

"We will have a response for you in four to eight weeks," -- Warner Bros.

"Well, I guess the greatest Ian McKellen interview, ever, will never see publication," -- MrCere, Sr. Staff

"If there is one thing we know how to do, it is to convince studios to make sequels. Those Browncoats have good hearts, but they are just not getting it done. By the time we are done there will probably be a sequel and s spin off." -- John Tedeshi/Thorongil

'It was so hard, organizing The One Last Party and secretly knowing it really was the end of all things. I'm just glad we were able to go out on a high note'. -- greendragon, Sr. Staff

Does this mean we can finally let pirated copies of the movies and fan edits run rampant on the message boards? We moderators were getting carpal-tunnel syndrome trying to delete them all. - Altaira, Sr. Staff

"I guess it was inevitable that TORn would have to close down at some point in time, but the staff of this all volunteer website and all our fellow Tolkien fans are family and that won't be ending any time soon. Our bonds have been forged by the adventures reported on by this very website, at conventions, Oscar parties, costume events, book signings and NZ location tours, we are and will continue to be a fandom to reckon with. Namarie." - Garfeimao

"I heard that my old humor section of the site was about to be revived, and now this! "What a joke! This whole thing is a joke. And not a funny one!" -- Tookish

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Apr 1 2015, 7:06am)

Kim
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 6:54am

Post #2 of 75 (3247 views)
Shortcut
Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In the meantime, staff will have grief counselors available during the transition to help with ideas for what to do with their new-found free time.

I'd like to request a grief counselor please - you can't take TORn away from us!

Kickstarter campaign - who's with me?

Wink

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 8:03am

Post #3 of 75 (3244 views)
Shortcut
But, but.... however would I find out...... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that it's 1 April if it weren't for TORn? Angelic

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 9:19am

Post #4 of 75 (3226 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm getting my life back! Laugh

Adrianna
Lorien

Apr 1 2015, 9:23am

Post #5 of 75 (3226 views)
Shortcut
Are the changes in progress? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did they already start to make the changes? I can the difference in the formatting of the forum. It threw me of at first. I had to blink a few times.

I had not been on the forum for long but I'm sad to see it goFrown

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 9:26am

Post #6 of 75 (3220 views)
Shortcut
Funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

that's what a lot of the staff said AngelicEvilLaugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 9:37am

Post #7 of 75 (3238 views)
Shortcut
It's started ... [In reply to] Can't Post

sador
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 9:56am

Post #8 of 75 (3197 views)
Shortcut
Well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ending with Tookish's comment. Nice.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 9:59am

Post #9 of 75 (3212 views)
Shortcut
Error code - [In reply to] Can't Post

'probably eaten by Shelob'. Love it! Someone's put a lot of work into all this - congratulations on an excellent 1st April celebration!

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 10:59am

Post #10 of 75 (3185 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

love it! Laugh

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 11:01am

Post #11 of 75 (3176 views)
Shortcut
Perfect! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 11:46am

Post #12 of 75 (3206 views)
Shortcut
Well, at least fan edits are safe now. I found the new owner's banner art.. [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 11:51am

Post #13 of 75 (3195 views)
Shortcut
"Congrats on knowing when to quit" [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite line of all - so full of irony.

Well, that's it folks, I'm outta here. If the board is closing down, I'm never logging in again. It's been OK, but can't say it's been great.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 12:03pm

Post #14 of 75 (3159 views)
Shortcut
April 2nd can't come FAST enough...// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 12:24pm

Post #15 of 75 (3161 views)
Shortcut
Hehe! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 12:44pm

Post #16 of 75 (3148 views)
Shortcut
*Snigger* // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 1:16pm

Post #17 of 75 (3155 views)
Shortcut
*chin quivers* But....but... but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought season tickets!

*throws self dramatically onto floor*

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 1:45pm

Post #18 of 75 (3176 views)
Shortcut
**Announcing the Founders Day Close Out Sale! Everything Must Go!!!!** [In reply to] Can't Post

Mark your calendars now for April 25-26! Usually its a big party around here but this time we can all circle like vultures and get the deep discounted clearance prices on everything!

And to kick things off, I have some nice Founders Day 2020 tote bags available at a price so low it will make you laugh! ( I guess I should not have placed that mass order a few years ago...)

Don't delay, this deal expires today, April 1, at midnight US east coast time!

Weaver

NottaSackville
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 1:58pm

Post #19 of 75 (3141 views)
Shortcut
I bid $50 for the gif image rotator in the upper-left corner! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 2:03pm

Post #20 of 75 (3145 views)
Shortcut
The final words of the book "The End," was agreed upon unanimously. [In reply to] Can't Post

Should be "And they lived happily to the end of their days, where lies more than memory - 'THE END'".

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 2:15pm

Post #21 of 75 (3133 views)
Shortcut
You got me! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least for the brief moment before I remembered the date!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

weaver
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 2:19pm

Post #22 of 75 (3137 views)
Shortcut
SOLD! [In reply to] Can't Post

PM me for your official "TORN Vulture" commemorative patch....!

Disclaimer: I have no approval to sell anything, but need the cash...anything purchased today has to be returned tomorrow...

Weaver

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 2:31pm

Post #23 of 75 (3131 views)
Shortcut
I want them smileys! [In reply to] Can't Post

One silver coin for each. What say you?

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 1 2015, 2:33pm

Post #24 of 75 (3125 views)
Shortcut
The only coins you'll get from me [In reply to] Can't Post

will keep yer eyelids closed! Pirate

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 2:34pm

Post #25 of 75 (3120 views)
Shortcut
Can ye spare the angelic one.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... for an innocent dormouse? Angelic

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.