Geography error between DOS and BOFA
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 1 2015, 7:22pm

Post #26 of 43 (933 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOL [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, when Thorin is first seen by the Fili & co., he's in royal bling. Then there's the "the Arkenstone is in these halls....no one rests until it is found!" and he's wearing the Laketown clothes. Then we see him again in royal togs.

So I guess his #Majesty likes to dress to impress when looking over his holdings, puts on peasant gear when he is chewing everyone out, and then decides he's more comfortable after all dressed like royalty - well, Thorin IS the king *grins*WinkCool

Thank you for this.Laugh I never noticed Thorin went back to rags, I'll have to pay closer attention next time I watch.

My guess is when he's hovering over the Company as they look for the Arkenstone that scene was originally meant to go before the arrival of the Lake-town four. Hence Bilbo "he's been down there for days". Yet, when the film was edited the scene was moved to where it is now.

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Apr 1 2015, 7:27pm

Post #27 of 43 (923 views)
Shortcut
I also heard that and asked myself about it [In reply to] Can't Post

...but did it necessarily mean the nightfall of the same day ? Since Rivendell, Balin is much obsessed with the Gate, even over-obsessed some times.

I think it was more a plead (what else ?) to let one more dwarf in Laketown - and especially Bofur : he had many things to do there : show himself as a feast-enjoyer, asking for a shelter, saying some of his nonsenses while Kili suffers, finding the Athelas, getting knocked over by one orc...

What I find less understandable is Alfrid getting out the water in full daytime while Smaug's attack occurred in full night time. I miss desolation scenes on the Lakeshores happening while the city still burns.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 7:32pm

Post #28 of 43 (923 views)
Shortcut
It seems pretty straightforward on screen. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do freely grant that it would make more sense to have the final leg of the journey take two days instead of one. It also better fits what we ealier hear when the company arrives in Esgaroth. However, that does not seem to be what Peter Jackson intended in the departure scene.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Milieuterrien
Rohan

Apr 1 2015, 8:18pm

Post #29 of 43 (908 views)
Shortcut
Most probably, P Jackson felt that the audience wouldn't show patience [In reply to] Can't Post

for another three-days hike.

IMO, that's where the deadline shows : people would have shouted 'Bloat ! Bloat !'
I thanks PJ not to have been too explicit about it : there is still space for a three-days hike, even in BOTFA (see the comment about Thorin's sickness 'for days')

If ambiguity there is, I think the choice was on a chosen ones :
Any apparent contradictions call for a confrontation with the book... and then : Eurêka !

Same as the moonshift. I'm convinced that sometimes, P Jackson wants us to remember fugitively that we are watching a movie : especially on dvd's, where nothing can stay hidden.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 10:54pm

Post #30 of 43 (880 views)
Shortcut
Questions! Questions that need anwering! [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, re the "man-clothes" which according the WETA books Thorin and Dwalin found demeaning and wanted to get rid of ASAP, re BOFA - how soon (in theory, since it wasn't in the TE) after (or before?) this scene:

Did the the grief-ravaged Thorin start pushing his staff to find the Arkenstone? - e.g. the clothes are the same....

Re:

My guess is when he's hovering over the Company as they look for the Arkenstone that scene was originally meant to go before the arrival of the Lake-town four. Hence Bilbo "he's been down there for days". Yet, when the film was edited the scene was moved to where it is now.

Very good! And I suppose it takes a Thorin fan/hair freak/costume junkie etc. to NOTICE things like that LOLCoolLaughCrazy. Nevertheless. And I want that trailer footage back too.Tongue

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 11:09pm

Post #31 of 43 (879 views)
Shortcut
For you - [In reply to] Can't Post

If the moon really bothers you, I hope one day you can find the sw to edit to your satisfaction - tho I guess you do some cloning/retouch - frame by frame?

But myself, being a Thorin fan and think the gold chamber scene is delicious and sad and beautiful and creepyHeartHeartHeart all at the same time - no, for me personally I would never, ever remove a scene with Thorin in it.Cool

But. In time - tho I made a joke about the concept a few posts back - SW development is progressing so fast - as well as 3D programs like Blender - in time I think folks will be able to do satisfying home edits. Myself, at the moment more than anything (even tho folks have disagreed w. me) still hope for a Ultra-Super-Deluxe Director Re-cut of the Hobbit films, one day. Or even, in the EE - will we get the goats back? The scene with the elves firing a volley? And more of EVERYTHING!!!!TongueTongueTongue

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 1 2015, 11:18pm

Post #32 of 43 (870 views)
Shortcut
You and me both [In reply to] Can't Post

[reoly] And I want that trailer footage back too.Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 11:22pm

Post #33 of 43 (868 views)
Shortcut
That sums it up for me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And more of EVERYTHING!!!!TongueTongueTongue

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 1 2015, 11:26pm

Post #34 of 43 (867 views)
Shortcut
Since basically the only other shot of them searching... [In reply to] Can't Post

Was a last minute CG affair, I'd say there'll be more in the EE.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2015, 11:31pm

Post #35 of 43 (875 views)
Shortcut
Man alive! [In reply to] Can't Post

I begin to suspect this is not documentary footage of the dragon attack at all but some sort of special effects fiction!

Ilmatar
Rohan

Apr 2 2015, 5:51am

Post #36 of 43 (844 views)
Shortcut
For me too [In reply to] Can't Post

More of everything, yes please! There's no such thing as too much. Tongue

Maybe we should make a petition for the ultimate version, collect some names online, and send it to PJ! Let him know that there are people willing to pay thrice for the movies.... TE, EE, and eventually the Ultra-Super-Deluxe (USD Cool) Director Re-cut. Wants my precioussss...!

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 2 2015, 5:53am

Post #37 of 43 (844 views)
Shortcut
Missing Day [In reply to] Can't Post

When they arrive in Lake-town we are told that Durin's Day is two days away. The disappearing day is never explained.

Correct, because Balin says "Durin's Day is the morn after next". As for the missing day, my guess is maybe the Dwarves and the Lake-men feasted for two days. After all Dwarves love food and ale, and it was probably a long while since they had a decent meal and a pint overflowing with mead.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 2 2015, 12:03pm

Post #38 of 43 (815 views)
Shortcut
Time Compression [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Most probably, P Jackson felt that the audience wouldn't show patience for another three-days hike.

Same as the moonshift. I'm convinced that sometimes, P Jackson wants us to remember fugitively that we are watching a movie : especially on dvd's, where nothing can stay hidden.

Well, it would have been no more than two days as set up by Balin's dialog. Jackson could cut from the company leaving Lake-town to their arrival at the Mountain without showing the entire journey (just as he actually did) but with the understanding that it took more than one day. Easy peasy.

The changing phase of the moon bothers me more than the shifting position, probably because the latter at least doesn't take place within the same film, making it harder to spot.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

dormouse
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 12:34pm

Post #39 of 43 (811 views)
Shortcut
No - really? // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 12:50pm

Post #40 of 43 (804 views)
Shortcut
No way! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 2 2015, 1:00pm

Post #41 of 43 (796 views)
Shortcut
Possibly, but Thorin is in a rush. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As for the missing day, my guess is maybe the Dwarves and the Lake-men feasted for two days. After all Dwarves love food and ale, and it was probably a long while since they had a decent meal and a pint overflowing with mead.

Except that Thorin is in a great hurry to reach the Lonely Mountain and locate the Hidden Door. With no guarantee that the company can locate the secret entrance immediately (in the book it takes two or more weeks), I cannot imagine Thorin wasting a day that could better be spend in travel. At least taking two days to reach the Mountain is plausible (if unlikely). Getting there on the same day they left Esgaroth is frankly incredible and shame on Peter Jackson for ignoring that fact.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Apr 2 2015, 1:46pm

Post #42 of 43 (784 views)
Shortcut
It's all I got at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

As for the missing day, my guess is maybe the Dwarves and the Lake-men feasted for two days. After all Dwarves love food and ale, and it was probably a long while since they had a decent meal and a pint overflowing with mead.

In Reply To
Except that Thorin is in a great hurry to reach the Lonely Mountain and locate the Hidden Door. With no guarantee that the company can locate the secret entrance immediately (in the book it takes two or more weeks), I cannot imagine Thorin wasting a day that could better be spend in travel. At least taking two days to reach the Mountain is plausible (if unlikely).

True, but it's the only explanation I have for the missing day since it appears in the film that the one day is not lost searching for the door. And as for Thorin being in a rush - I never thought if this till now - but once he had the Lake-men on his side why not leave that night with the weapons and supplies they needed? The Company could've camped out in Dale and spent the next day or two looking for the hidden door.

In Reply To
Getting there on the same day they left Esgaroth is frankly incredible and shame on Peter Jackson for ignoring that fact.

Agree...especially since we are flat out told "Durin's Day is the morn after next."

Eruonen
Half-elven

Apr 2 2015, 2:22pm

Post #43 of 43 (782 views)
Shortcut
It might just be due to confusing directions beteen our normal compass points and the [In reply to] Can't Post

offset runes. IF the map was oriented with our directions the moon would be E - W but with the runes it is N-S.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.