** Fellowship of the Ring: Book Two chapter discussion ** 'Many Meetings' **
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2015, 1:09pm

Post #26 of 61 (2887 views)
Shortcut
Isn't that a likely consequence [In reply to] Can't Post

of The Hobbit being a children's story? One of the interesting things about "rewriting" The Hobbit for a movie audience (to have it more in tune with the LOTR audience) and Tolkien's own attempts is that Hobbit book fans see it as a lesser story or even a failure and Tolkien himself abandoned the attempt.

I think it is easy to assume that because the two stories inhabit the same world that they should gel together well, but they really don't as much as one would think. The nature of a children's book precludes many of the deeper meanings and darker themes. Character development is sacrificed for action. Kids want to read about doing things, after all. They have neither the experience nor the need for deeper meaning in their stories.

Bilbo gets his (mostly) happily ever after in The Hobbit. Frodo ends a shell of his former self, never able to truly return. Kids book ending. Grownup book ending.

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 1:24pm

Post #27 of 61 (2886 views)
Shortcut
Makes you wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

--

*"Aragorn's girlfriend", not "Aragorn's Frigidaire", as autocorrect has just suggested.... Glad I noticed that, it really could have caused some confusion.....
Wink

Maybe that guy who programmed autocorrect just went through a really bad breakup.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 1:26pm

Post #28 of 61 (2882 views)
Shortcut
infodumps, "infoseeps", beautiful women...and pass the salt, Putin [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, "infodump" would certainly be the wrong word, if it bears the connotation of the writer providing information in a way that is sufficiently clumsy to disturb the reader. This is so covertly done its perhaps more of an ..."infoseep". The technical problem here is that Tolkien wants us to know something he can't "show, don't tell" (as it is often put in advice to beginner writers) - he can certainly show us that there is a high-status female elf of supernatural loveliness at the feast - but we need to know who she is, and to whom she is related.

By contrast, he does "Show, not tell" her relationship to Aragorn, and her effect on Frodo (or the effect he has on her). I like the way that :

"the light of her eyes fell on him from afar and pierced his heart"

...means any of several things:

Blush Perhaps Frodo is aware that Arwen is sizing Frodo up with a shrewdness bordering upon the supernatural (as her Grandmother, Galadriel, will do a later). As you say, she will be aware that a lot rides on this little mortal - his failure will sweep the elves away and so, in a different way will his success. And his success will mean her wedding is on, and therefore also her funeral. So Frodo's mission will have a unique effect on Arwen.

Blush Or, we may be continuing "Such loveliness in a living thing Frodo had never seen before nor imagined in his mind ..." This has a strong effect on Frodo - stronger than his reaction to Goldberry. Not a sexual one, I think. "Beautiful Women Remind Men of Death" apparently (BTW this is from a wonderful list of "Extremely Emo Scientific Phenomena http://mentalfloss.com/...scientific-phenomena - of which "The Moth That Drinks Tears of Sleeping Birds" remains my favourite). Can't say I've experienced that "TMT" effect of beautiful women myself, though I have suddenly been mentally reduced to a bashful 13-year old. Blush

So maybe it is an aesthetic admiration? Or maybe she has a massive charisma. Whatever it is, she does it to Eomer too of course, and even Gimili can understand what they are getting at - at least enough to allow a loophole in a vow made hastily.

And of course, it could just be the weirdness of being noticed by these great ones - as in your Putin passes the salt example, CuriousG. Mid you, if Valdimir Putin did pass me the salt, one of my concerns would be to check that I was actually receiving sodium chloride - now where did I put my geiger counter?

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 1:31pm

Post #29 of 61 (2880 views)
Shortcut
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.” [In reply to] Can't Post

“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.”

― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 1:36pm

Post #30 of 61 (2883 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a great Conspiracy Theory! [In reply to] Can't Post

Who would be the most amusing dinner companion for Frodo to have accidentally ignored completely in his desire to learn all about Erebor?

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 1:37pm

Post #31 of 61 (2877 views)
Shortcut
Worse still, that "Frigidaire" has still got all his beer.... // :) [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

noWizardme
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 1:51pm

Post #32 of 61 (2877 views)
Shortcut
I have a suggestion, but I don't think Gossamer can render SMALL CAPS?.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some people laugh Death in the face, Sir Terry Pratchett writes his dialogue, but only Frodo goes to dinner & ignores him completely...

PS: If Gloin is going on and on about events at the Lonely Mountain, is he being an Erebor?

~~~~~~

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 31 2015, 5:11pm

Post #33 of 61 (2865 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo, Aragorn, the Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo meets Bilbo again; and here I wonder if JRRT was planting another seed of failure, as shown by Bilbo's continued desire for the Ring. We are given so many similarities between Bilbo and Frodo, such as Their Birthday, which can perhaps be seen as an early mechanism to blend TH and LOTR. Or is that picture of Bilbo, that desire in Bilbo for the Ring a foreshadowing of the desire that will lead Frodo to fail at the Fire? Or do you think it is a necessary ramping up of the danger for Frodo as seen through Bilbo?
I think its interesting that in this chapter Frodo is seen and described as strong by Gandalf; a contrast to the very weakness for the Ring that seems to still run in Bilbo? Or a literary tool, tension needed build-up to the eventual fall of Frodo?

Answering your last question first Gandalf's describing Frodo as "strong" in this chapter has never struck me as a contrast to Bilbo. Elsewhere it seems implied that Hobbits generally have a strength in them that can slow the working in them of the Ring's destructive powers. Bilbo specifically is able to give up the Ring of his own free will, with a little push from Gandalf in an earlier chapter. Also I have the impression this applies to an extent even to Gollum, that he survived his centuries with the Ring in better shape than the Wise might have expected.

I wonder if, as readers, Aragorn's high regard for Bilbo changes impression of rather fussy The Hobbit version of Bilbo to us - the reader - when we get to this part? Within the story itself, does this grim and tough, 'remnant of a great people' warrior's affection and respect for the old Hobbit change how Frodo sees Bilbo?

As a reader, I came to LotR from "The Hobbit" with a very definite (and positive) impression of Bilbo. Once I got over the disappointment that I was, apparently, stuck reading the adventures of his adopted great nephew and friends rather than some further adventure of his Tongue, I imagine Aragorn's regard for Bilbo would have continued to cement my growing conviction that Aragorn is a great man. Gandalf and Elrond are two other characters I can remember demonstrating regard for Bilbo - Aragorn is in good company here. Theoden's relationship with Merry, and Denethor's with Pippin, strike me as along these same lines (in opposite directions). I feel we are shown something about these important and powerful characters by their willingness/ability to see in others who are markedly less so.

squire
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 5:27pm

Post #34 of 61 (2871 views)
Shortcut
Elrond said Frodo's "seat should be among" those of the Elf-friends, so... [In reply to] Can't Post

That remark was developed in a long-ago discussion thread of 2007, but was reprinted last year. If we grant Elrond a little prescience in arranging the seating at the banquet before the Council, we may imagine who was on Frodo's left side for him to talk to.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 9:56pm

Post #35 of 61 (2854 views)
Shortcut
The "suspense" of Frodo finding Bilbo in Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

As a Tolkien lover, I reserve the right to be annoyed by something, and I do get annoyed by the contrived suspense of Frodo discovering Bilbo in Rivendell. When you think about it:

1. Gandalf continued visiting Frodo in Hobbiton after Bilbo had settled in Rivendell. Didn't Frodo ever ask where Bilbo was? Why wouldn't Gandalf mention it? Why wouldn't Bilbo send an occasional letter to Frodo via Gandalf?

2. When Aragorn is first trying to establish his credentials with Frodo in Bree as a friend of Gandalf's, why didn't he also say something like, "And I know your uncle Bilbo quite well from seeing him in Rivendell. He would vouch for me, if he were here. He even wrote the verses that go with my name."

3. When Frodo was fading post-Weathertop, it'd be natural to say, "Just hold on until Rivendell, where Bilbo will be upset if you show up as a wraith."

4. Or Gloin saying, "It's been nice to see Bilbo here again."

5. Or Sam, Merry, or Pippin slipping in the remark, "Hey, Frodo, isn't it nice how Bilbo sat by your side every night? We didn't know we'd find him here."

I could go on, but my I think I made my point that there was no reason to keep this secret from Frodo and every reason for it to come out ahead of time. What did others think of this "mystery" upon first read?

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 11:01pm

Post #36 of 61 (2840 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I think that, like Scott, Tolkien refuses to give his characters something he knows some readers will want, (an Aragorn and Éowyn pairing) again because it's not a fit for the characters themselves. Certainly not once Arwen has been added to the story. Both writers get more credible and interesting stories as a result.

and the Elf and Man union are so critical to JRRT's whole world-view in linking the Mythos to a fantasy real-time as well. It took me second read to start to get that; and Letters to fully get the 'why' of who married who. After I did understand it, I was able to appreciate Eowyn's reward in Faramir much better: the programmed and expected fantasy 'happy ending' is so often queenship that it felt like a gyp, when I read it and was so fond of Eowyn. Of course, she made out just fine. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 11:03pm

Post #37 of 61 (2842 views)
Shortcut
Growth of perils, and consequences [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Bilbo gets his (mostly) happily ever after in The Hobbit. Frodo ends a shell of his former self, never able to truly return. Kids book ending. Grownup book ending.

in the two levels of story - well said.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2015, 11:08pm

Post #38 of 61 (2843 views)
Shortcut
I think it strange that the food is not described here [In reply to] Can't Post

As it is described so far in just about every other party/feast/meal the Hobbits attended from Bilbo's farewell birthday party, Gildor, Farmer Maggot, even Bree. So why no description here? I suppose that one can speculate what they might have eaten. I have thought that Elves in general would go for light meats such as Chicken or Fish, or vegetarian dishes or even Pasta even if Pasta wasn't a very common dish in Britian when Tolkien was writing this. But then again, in the Hobbit aren't the Sindarian Elves of Mirkwood eating roast deer? So, who knows. They might even have been eaten Curry or an Elven version of spicy Mexican dishes

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 11:15pm

Post #39 of 61 (2839 views)
Shortcut
The Lady and the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Yes, "infodump" would certainly be the wrong word, if it bears the connotation of the writer providing information in a way that is sufficiently clumsy to disturb the reader. This is so covertly done its perhaps more of an ..."infoseep". The technical problem here is that Tolkien wants us to know something he can't "show, don't tell" (as it is often put in advice to beginner writers) - he can certainly show us that there is a high-status female elf of supernatural loveliness at the feast - but we need to know who she is, and to whom she is related.

By contrast, he does "Show, not tell" her relationship to Aragorn, and her effect on Frodo (or the effect he has on her). I like the way that :

"the light of her eyes fell on him from afar and pierced his heart"

...means any of several things:

Blush Perhaps Frodo is aware that Arwen is sizing Frodo up with a shrewdness bordering upon the supernatural (as her Grandmother, Galadriel, will do a later). As you say, she will be aware that a lot rides on this little mortal - his failure will sweep the elves away and so, in a different way will his success. And his success will mean her wedding is on, and therefore also her funeral. So Frodo's mission will have a unique effect on Arwen.

Blush Or, we may be continuing "Such loveliness in a living thing Frodo had never seen before nor imagined in his mind ..." This has a strong effect on Frodo - stronger than his reaction to Goldberry. Not a sexual one, I think. "Beautiful Women Remind Men of Death" apparently (BTW this is from a wonderful list of "Extremely Emo Scientific Phenomena
http://mentalfloss.com/...scientific-phenomena - of which "The Moth That Drinks Tears of Sleeping Birds" remains my favourite). Can't say I've experienced that "TMT" effect of beautiful women myself, though I have suddenly been mentally reduced to a bashful 13-year old. Blush *see below

Also the reaction of Frodo to Arwen says something about him as well I think. So even more 'shown' here versus telling. We don't get narrative about how Frodo is sensitive to the air of Rivendell and the impact of the Evenstar, and all she means: we are shown it here. Plus a nice bit of foreshadowing too. On repeat reads this part really resonates I think: once you know how they will end, that deep look has quite a different complexion to it.
*will now mentally contemplate Furincurunir at the Banquet, receiving a glance from Lady Arwen and being all adorable about it. Laugh

So maybe it is an aesthetic admiration? Or maybe she has a massive charisma. Whatever it is, she does it to Eomer too of course, and even Gimili can understand what they are getting at - at least enough to allow a loophole in a vow made hastily.

Given the modeling for Arwen-the-heiress-of-Luthien in his own life, I think here we glimpse a Marvin-Sue (ie: a female Mary Sue inserted by an admiring male writer. I just made that up, just in case you didn't guess that.) Wink If she is Luthien-come-again the emotional-mental picture that JRRT had must have been more close to his heart than say, for Lady Galadriel?

And of course, it could just be the weirdness of being noticed by these great ones - as in your Putin passes the salt example, CuriousG. Mid you, if Valdimir Putin did pass me the salt, one of my concerns would be to check that I was actually receiving sodium chloride - now where did I put my geiger counter?

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 11:20pm

Post #40 of 61 (2834 views)
Shortcut
Ha. I couldn't agree Moria. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

PS: If Gloin is going on and on about events at the Lonely Mountain, is he being an Erebor?

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 11:30pm

Post #41 of 61 (2836 views)
Shortcut
Wisdom in Judgment [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I wonder if, as readers, Aragorn's high regard for Bilbo changes impression of rather fussy The Hobbit version of Bilbo to us - the reader - when we get to this part? Within the story itself, does this grim and tough, 'remnant of a great people' warrior's affection and respect for the old Hobbit change how Frodo sees Bilbo?
As a reader, I came to LotR from "The Hobbit" with a very definite (and positive) impression of Bilbo. Once I got over the disappointment that I was, apparently, stuck reading the adventures of his adopted great nephew and friends rather than some further adventure of his Tongue...

I see that a lot! Having read TH first, my experience was different. BUT my Sil first-read was like that: where are the Hobbits? And Men? Laugh Who ARE all these Elves, all of whose names confusingly start with Cs or Fs?

...I imagine Aragorn's regard for Bilbo would have continued to cement my growing conviction that Aragorn is a great man. Gandalf and Elrond are two other characters I can remember demonstrating regard for Bilbo - Aragorn is in good company here. Theoden's relationship with Merry, and Denethor's with Pippin, strike me as along these same lines (in opposite directions). I feel we are shown something about these important and powerful characters by their willingness/ability to see in others who are markedly less so.

That is another one of those great inverse-points: that you can take the obvious grading of a relationship and see another aspect of it altogether. And I agree that is one of the things that I loved when I read LOTR: the 'smaller' folk weren't just dismissed because of their countrified status or their small size by those in positions of power (who had wisdom anyway). That bit in the Council scene, where Gimli smiles at Bilbo but in fondness - not in jest. That Aragorn too sits with Bilbo after conferring with Elladan and Elrohir on important issues says so much about both of their statuses. Can you imagine Saruman taking time for a Hobbit? No indeed, just on principle.
Its shows humanity and humility I think; and reminds me of something Agatha Christie wrote about judgment. That some can see greatness only in the light of fame, but better judgment can see quality in a bank clerk.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 31 2015, 11:31pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 11:31pm

Post #42 of 61 (2831 views)
Shortcut
"Here, take this Ring..." *snert* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 11:35pm

Post #43 of 61 (2837 views)
Shortcut
Ya know, all of this is familiar... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As a Tolkien lover, I reserve the right to be annoyed by something, and I do get annoyed by the contrived suspense of Frodo discovering Bilbo in Rivendell. When you think about it:

1. Gandalf continued visiting Frodo in Hobbiton after Bilbo had settled in Rivendell. Didn't Frodo ever ask where Bilbo was? Why wouldn't Gandalf mention it? Why wouldn't Bilbo send an occasional letter to Frodo via Gandalf?

2. When Aragorn is first trying to establish his credentials with Frodo in Bree as a friend of Gandalf's, why didn't he also say something like, "And I know your uncle Bilbo quite well from seeing him in Rivendell. He would vouch for me, if he were here. He even wrote the verses that go with my name."

3. When Frodo was fading post-Weathertop, it'd be natural to say, "Just hold on until Rivendell, where Bilbo will be upset if you show up as a wraith."

4. Or Gloin saying, "It's been nice to see Bilbo here again."

5. Or Sam, Merry, or Pippin slipping in the remark, "Hey, Frodo, isn't it nice how Bilbo sat by your side every night? We didn't know we'd find him here."

I could go on, but my I think I made my point that there was no reason to keep this secret from Frodo and every reason for it to come out ahead of time. What did others think of this "mystery" upon first read?

Yes, that's a good one to discuss. It certainly has story-service. Are they hiding Bilbo from Gollum? The key was 'Baggins' and 'Shire' ... but is it the need to keep Bilbo's name and whereabouts the reason? Because Bilbo seems to become like one of the Three: hidden by Elves and not spoken about.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 11:38pm

Post #44 of 61 (2835 views)
Shortcut
It is odd. We get so many food descriptions elsewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

...unless it contributes to the Otherwordliness of it all. (?) I wonder if JRRT had fully worked out a meat-vs-no meat diet of the Elves in his head? Because that does change their impact on the local world.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 31 2015, 11:39pm)

squire
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 1:20am

Post #45 of 61 (2826 views)
Shortcut
The vegetarian angle is hard to sustain [In reply to] Can't Post

As noted, in The Hobbit Tolkien was unwilling to deprive the King of the Elves of the traditional royal prerogative of the Hunt. Unlike with the traveling company of Gildor and their vegan picnic, this chapter is all about deepening the reader's connections with the world laid out in The Hobbit. Finally, as we'll see in a few chapters, Elrond provides the Company with fur-lined cloaks for their winter journey, which implies you know what.

For all that, I do have a weakness for Sador's line about "ground nuts, bark, and dirt"!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 1:42am

Post #46 of 61 (2822 views)
Shortcut
Almost impossible in truth... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As noted, in The Hobbit Tolkien was unwilling to deprive the King of the Elves of the traditional royal prerogative of the Hunt. Unlike with the traveling company of Gildor and their vegan picnic, this chapter is all about deepening the reader's connections with the world laid out in The Hobbit. Finally, as we'll see in a few chapters, Elrond provides the Company with fur-lined cloaks for their winter journey, which implies you know what.

For all that, I do have a weakness for Sador's line about "ground nuts, bark, and dirt"!

...it was a weak shrug at best to explain the lack of feast detail. Especially since we don't get the recipe for Muddy Oak Bark canapés.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 2:10pm

Post #47 of 61 (2790 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

'Celestial despot!' said Ixion, 'I defy the immortal ingenuity of thy cruelty. My memory must be as eternal as thy torture: that will support me.'
-Benjamin Disraeli, Ixion in Heaven

** Gandalf says something very intriguing and puzzling as Frodo wakes, that I would like to explore: when they discuss the 'absurd' journey so far and Gandalf states that he was delayed: "...and that nearly proved our ruin. And yet I am not sure: it may have been better so."

Our Gandalf, speaking in riddles; no surprise there. But what meaning do you take from this?

As Sador points out, Saruman shot himself in the foot with his premature anticipation. Saruman could have wrangled an invite to the Council, had himself appointed a member of the Fellowship, suggested a stay in the Woods of Isengard, then gotten Frodo alone at Orthanc gazing into the Palantir, and there’s no way The Weinie is going to let himself diminish and pass into the West when Frodo offers up the One Ring. Saruman was this close!

Then again, maybe Saruman was afraid the Nazgul would beat him to it and vice versa.

In the end it’s the whole “Oft evil will shall evil mar” with all the bad guys acting like crabs in a bucket, pulling each other down in their bid to climb out so in the end no one wins.

** Another point in Gandalf's mind I find intriguing: the idea of transparency about Frodo. Gandalf thinks to himself (and we are not often privy to his thoughts; so I wonder if we may take this as very close to authorial thought): "He is not half through yet, and to what he will come in the end not even Elrond can foretell. Not to evil, I think. He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can."

Verlyn Flieger beautifully writes in 'Splintered Light' that this description is a metaphor for Frodo's transformation through the Quest, and likens it to the Phial of Galadriel that he will be given to aid him (an excerpt is linked here from Google Books to illustrate:)

Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World. "Filled with clear light" chapter excerpt.

Well, “splintered light” is the dispersed light, the rainbow, that comes out of a prism. That would seem more apropos of Saruman of Many Colors than of Frodo.

What are your ideas here?

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.

-John 1:6-8

Is this an explanation for Gandalf's thoughts?

Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end;
Each changing place with that which goes before,
In sequent toil all forwards do contend.
Nativity, once in the main of light,
Crawls to maturity, wherewith being crown'd,
Crooked eclipses 'gainst his glory fight,
And Time that gave doth now his gift confound.
Time doth transfix the flourish set on youth
And delves the parallels in beauty's brow,
Feeds on the rarities of nature's truth,
And nothing stands but for his scythe to mow:
And yet to times in hope, my verse shall stand
Praising thy worth, despite his cruel hand.

-Sonnet #60

Or are they speculative of another outcome, another line of thought by Gandalf and/or JRRT?

You do me wrong to take me out o' the grave:
Thou art a soul in bliss; but I am bound
Upon a wheel of fire, that mine own tears
Do scald like moulten lead.

-King Lear, Act IV, scene 7

Maybe relating to the consequential unity or disunity of hroa and fea based on outcomes - or do you see another line of thought entirely from those words?

Like Sador says, it depends on whether we want to do any longitudinal ambulation during our clinical experience.

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
And the Black Tower's down!!
The orcs all fell in a hole in the ground!
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 4:11pm

Post #48 of 61 (2782 views)
Shortcut
Arwen Among the Debris [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we meet Lord Elrond again, after that introduction in TH. Here he is a mighty healer, and the Last Homely House has a different feel to it: no tra-la-lally here. Instead we have a view of the regal, the artistic , the otherwordly Elves much more in line with the Silmarillion depictions.

Is that really a good thing?

** How well (or not) do you feel the melding of the two Rivendells is carried out?

Kind of ironic:

Now it is a strange thing, but things that are good to have and days that are good to spend are soon told about, and not much to listen to...
-A Short Rest

But boy do we spend a long time in Rivendell in FOTR!

If you read TH first, what was your reaction to revisiting this key spot on the map?

I was surprised to find out that Elrond was not a Man but an Elf. For example, isn’t an elf being called an elf-friend rather redundant? And similarly why mention that he was as noble and fair in face as an elf-lord if he was in fact already an elf-lord?

** Let's discuss the shard removal. I'm interested as to your take on this: is this a surgical fix versus a spiritual fix?

Yes.

It is never made entirely clear - we simply hear that Elrond has worked four nights and three days on it - but we can discuss how your reader-reaction sees it as well as putting clues together from the text. It may not be a solvable equation, but I find it a fun one to speculate about. So is Elrond the Surgeon General of Middle-earth, or is this a manipluation of fea and hroa to remove that tangible bit of evil from Frodo?

The injury results in what is called a “chromic wound”, that is, a wound that takes an unusually long time to heal. Frequent or even constant pain is a feature of such wounds. In some cases (as with Frodo) such wounds never heal. To narrow it down, Frodo’s wound seems to be an “ischemic wound”, one which has damaged underlying blood vessels, restricting blood to the site, and so hindering proper healing. The poor blood flow also results in a sensation of coldness around the wound.

I'm also intrigued by this event as to whether it can it be seen as a limit to what external healing, even the most powerful in Middle-earth, can accomplish?

No doubt 2nd Lieutenant Tolkien would have seen men with similar wounds during his stays in hospital and his visits to medical boards. I wonder if the good Professor would have thought it a bit presumptuous to tell a tale where such awful suffering could be so blithely cured.

The piece of extant, physical evil can be removed; but what about the darkness in a soul, such as what is left by the wound or by what claims Frodo on Mount Doom, and afterwards?

Parts of the standard treatment for ischemic wounds are good nutrition and adequate fluid intake, both of which Frodo will lack during the latter part of his adventure, and so it’s little wonder that the wound worsens during this period.

Ironically, one of the very worst things for such a wound is smoking, which restricts blood flow to the wound even further. So when Frodo is safely back in the Shire, every bowl of pipeweed he smokes to comfort himself will only aggravate his condition even more.

Thoughts?

With chronic wounds one of the most debilitating symptoms is the near constant pain, which can take a very deep psychological toll.

** The banquet: a flashback it seems to Medieval type celebrations involving royalty. Like the Arwen under the canopy idea:

I always wonder what exactly was lurking in the rafters that she needed protection from. Were birds nesting up there? Were there rats scuttling along the rafters? Bats hanging by their feet? Old caulking falling from between the ceiling tiles? Maybe pieces of the ceiling tiles themselves were falling down? Whatever it was, we couldn’t have the princess suffer soiling or injury.

it strikes me almost ecclesiastically…

It could be a chuppah, though traditionally it should be under an open sky.

… versus royal, like Charles II or Henry V having a feast.

Again re the possibility of birds, rats, and bats overhead, I’m reminded of the difference between peasantry and royalty as articulated in Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975) but family board.

I wonder here if the motif was designed to link to real-world royalty of the past.

Or the canopy could represent the house the groom makes for the bride, or the garden where the bride abides for the groom, or the overarching presence and protection of Eru for both, or maybe it’s just something to keep the debris of a deteriorating ages-old house from falling on the princess.

Thoughts?

Who, me?

And for some more banquet details and their meanings to consider...

Frodo on his cushions?

He’s been lying in bed for four nights and three days. Probably needs cushions to help with bed sores.

Hobbit party sitting separately?

No doubt with splash guards around them.

A Dwarf present at the High banquet (gasp!)?

I love this:

'Welcome and well met!' said the dwarf, turning towards him. Then he actually rose from his seat and bowed. `Glóin at your service,' he said, and bowed still lower.
'Frodo Baggins at your service and your family's,' said Frodo correctly, rising in surprise and scattering his cushions.

“..said Frodo correctly.” It’s not just Elvish customs Frodo is familiar with. He’s a cosmopolitan hobbit!

Aragorn absent?

Some people just have to be fashionably late in order to make an entrance.

Anything else?

Some feast! Where’s the pie?

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

-Lord of the Rings: The Musical, music by Leonard Bernstein, lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Apr 1 2015, 4:20pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 1 2015, 9:53pm

Post #49 of 61 (2773 views)
Shortcut
"....you will see whether he gained anything in the end." [In reply to] Can't Post

In telling the story of my father's life, it's impossible to separate fact from fiction, the man from the myth. The best I can do is to tell it the way he told me. It doesn't always make sense and most of it never happened... but that's what kind of story this is.
-Big Fish (2003)

** What did you think of the tactic of the delayed meeting between Bilbo and Frodo? Or for that matter, the suspense of the mysterious 'friend of Bilbo' who will be revealed as Strider/Aragorn?

Both were nice surprizes, though CuriousG quite ably expounds on what all happens later when fridge logic kicks in.

** Frodo meets Bilbo again; and here I wonder if JRRT was planting another seed of failure, as shown by Bilbo's continued desire for the Ring. We are given so many similarities between Bilbo and Frodo, such as Their Birthday, which can perhaps be seen as an early mechanism to blend TH and LOTR. Or is that picture of Bilbo, that desire in Bilbo for the Ring a foreshadowing of the desire that will lead Frodo to fail at the Fire?

LOTR is The Hobbit writ large, and when you really think on it Bilbo didn’t come out too well in the end.

Or do you think it is a necessary ramping up of the danger for Frodo as seen through Bilbo?

The question is, is that “little wrinkled creature with a hungry face and bony groping hands” really Bilbo, or merely a reflection of the corruption growing in Frodo?

I think its interesting that in this chapter Frodo is seen and described as strong by Gandalf; a contrast to the very weakness for the Ring that seems to still run in Bilbo?

One can be both corrupted and strong.

Or a literary tool, tension needed build-up to the eventual fall of Frodo?

Not to mention the fall of Boromir, Saruman, and Denethor.

** I wonder if, as readers, Aragorn's high regard for Bilbo changes impression of rather fussy The Hobbit version of Bilbo to us - the reader - when we get to this part?

Actually just the opposite: My regard for Aragorn improves.

Within the story itself, does this grim and tough, 'remnant of a great people' warrior's affection and respect for the old Hobbit change how Frodo sees Bilbo?

There’s more to this ranger than meets the eye. Perhaps all that stuff with Glorfindel outshining him at every turn was just the poor guy having a bad day. Let's give him another chance.

No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a wonderful town!!!
Mount Doom blew up,
No Orc, No Orc!!
It's a heckuva town!!!

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2015, 10:12pm

Post #50 of 61 (2766 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I would agree [In reply to] Can't Post

In the case of some Elves who would like their meat, but some of the more spirtual ones might be at one with nature and prefer not to eat the meat of living creatures. Mind, maybe mushrooms and bacon might cover all tastes, if a little bland. Possibly in a pasta sauce!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.