The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Suburbs returning to nature

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 7:08am

Post #1 of 14 (1169 views)
Shortcut
Suburbs returning to nature Can't Post

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing these.

Drone footage of Bexley, Christchurch.

And Avonside, Christchurch, (very close to where I lived pre earthquakes).

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 8:30am

Post #2 of 14 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Sad but fascinating. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was particularly interested in the related article to the effect that Sir Miles Warren's design for the Cathedral is still in the running. Thanks for these!

MistyMountain
Lorien

Mar 31 2015, 2:20pm

Post #3 of 14 (1107 views)
Shortcut
red zone? [In reply to] Can't Post

I am in the US and this is a term I am unfamiliar with. What does it mean?

After the earthquake, did the govt buy the homeowners out? Why? Here in the States, people just stubbornly rebuild after every disaster (which is stupid IMO).

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 14 (1094 views)
Shortcut
The land was mapped into different coloured zones [In reply to] Can't Post

Areas were red zoned because the land was considered too badly damaged to repair due to liquefaction, lateral spreading (especially near the river), and the high risk of liquifaction in future earthquakes. The government bought out the owners so that they could move on and then the houses were demolished, about 8,000 of them.

That's the factual information, the human detail of this process is something else.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 6:36pm

Post #5 of 14 (1088 views)
Shortcut
What's up with the "surviving" houses? [In reply to] Can't Post

The article mentioned some people still hanging on. Does that mean they didn't have to accept the buy-out?

It's really hard to imaging what that would have been like for the residents, having their lives turned upside down. Should our govt have bought out the flooded parts of New Orleans after Katrina? The Marina district of San Francisco after the 1989 quake?

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 6:53pm

Post #6 of 14 (1086 views)
Shortcut
Some were uninsured, [In reply to] Can't Post

some are still in dispute with EQC and/or their insurance company.
The people still living there mostly don't have any services or amenities.

Because it was decided the land could not be fixed there really was no option except buying people out.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 7:04pm

Post #7 of 14 (1082 views)
Shortcut
What is the eventual intent, Starling? Any ideas? [In reply to] Can't Post

To let the land return to wild space? Or can it be used for some sort of farming (of course, I am thinking orchards) with no dwellings?

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 31 2015, 7:05pm)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 7:12pm

Post #8 of 14 (1078 views)
Shortcut
Shakin' it [In reply to] Can't Post

From the original post headline, I assumed it was about abandonment of suburbs do to changing economic conditions, as when malls are abandoned or a city like Detroit shrinks. Turns out it's about a specific phenomenon in New Zealand due to earthquake damage. Who knew an earthquake could so devastate low-rise, low-density construction?

I got curious thanks to the photos and looked up what had happened to those neighborhoods. Here's an interesting article about how scientists are trying to find ways to stabilize houses built on such subsoils in other earthquake zones.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 31 2015, 8:40pm

Post #9 of 14 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating article. [In reply to] Can't Post

And good to know that the devastation in Christchurch might help cities around the world mitigate the potential of liquefaction.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2015, 3:53am

Post #10 of 14 (1046 views)
Shortcut
There are cases in the US [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picher,_Oklahoma

In certain situations the government will buy out homes or even a whole town as in the case of Picher, Oklahoma. Not to compare Starling's beautiful city of Christchurch struck so cruely by earthquakes to this sad little town devastated by mining, but Picher was considered unsafe for habitation and was bought out by the government, though a few refused to leave.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Apr 1 2015, 3:54am)

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2015, 4:12am

Post #11 of 14 (1040 views)
Shortcut
How deceptive looks can be [In reply to] Can't Post

The land looks so stable and safe; it doesn't look like some areas along coasts that appear so precarious that a heavy rain could bring them down. But on second look, it seemed I was seeing sandy areas where the liquifaction occured. But maybe that's my imagination.

BTW, is that the river you and little Midgey walked beside as you followed the flowers as they floated along?

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

(This post was edited by zarabia on Apr 1 2015, 4:15am)

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 5:10am

Post #12 of 14 (1032 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to see from the air [In reply to] Can't Post

how bad that land is. Some of those roads I could never drive my car along as I would never get out the other side. All that land is still moving and shifting around, as is a lot of the land around here. It's a rather dynamic world we live in!
Some of the sandy patches will be old liquefaction, other patches will be a result of demolitions and heavy machinery, plus we have been having a summer drought this year.

The river in the Avonside video is the Avon, which was my river when I lived in the city. Now we walk along the Heathcote river, which is the one I was referring to in the post about following the flowers. You can see some parts of the Heathcote in the Bexley video, as it gets closer to the sea.

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 5:21am

Post #13 of 14 (1033 views)
Shortcut
I don't know yet... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but there are plenty of conspiracy theories floating around!
There is a plan to have lovely greenspaces, walkways and cycleways all along the river to the sea, but we are kind of running out of money and they have stopped part way along the river.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 12:27pm

Post #14 of 14 (1013 views)
Shortcut
That sounds lovely if it can work out [In reply to] Can't Post

especially the walkways along the river so that space can be enjoyed as the rest goes wild again. Alas for lack of funding.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.