Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30 2015, 11:32pm

Post #26 of 75 (1982 views)
Shortcut
It's an adaptation of a Sondheim musical. [In reply to] Can't Post

And Sondheim consulted on it. The original isn't to everyone's taste, it must be said. Once it gets to "happily ever after", where we are conditioned to expect stories - especially fairy tales- to end...it doesn't. And all the little lies and compromises everyone made to get their "happy" endings come back to haunt them in the second act. "The woods" represent life choices, and the second act is all about coping with the consequences of them.

Though I'm a fan of the musical (and have a copy of the filmed stage version), I haven't yet managed to see the movie, so I can't yet comment on how faithful the adaptation is.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2015, 11:33pm

Post #27 of 75 (1968 views)
Shortcut
I KNEW Father Brown looked familiar! [In reply to] Can't Post

but I thought it was just because that's kind of how I'd pictured him in my head when I read the stories.... Blush

Mr. Weasley is Father Brown!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Mar 31 2015, 5:21am

Post #28 of 75 (1950 views)
Shortcut
Unbroken [In reply to] Can't Post

This is the recent film directed by Angelina Jolie based on a true story about an Olympic level runner who becomes a prisoner of war and the cruelties his Japanese captors inflicted upon him.

While I thought the actors all did well in their roles, and the story certainly was a gripping one, I felt this movie went on way past its bedtime (I think I've used this phrase before regarding another film, but it's the best way I can say what I feel is going on here.) The section on the raft with the three survivors of the plane crash was particularly annoying. I think Jolie meant for us to experience the exasperation of all 45+ days that they spent in that thing! And I thought the time spent in the POW camp and the relationship of the main character to the sadistic commander somehow missed saying anything important. And so many things could have been said. In the end, it was just another overly long war story about survival.

Along similar lines, the movie called Railway Man with Colin Firth dealing with a similar war story was so much better. Head and shoulders better, IMO.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 12:02pm

Post #29 of 75 (1940 views)
Shortcut
That's a fair description [In reply to] Can't Post

There was the lead-up to the happy ending, and then the long 2nd half where happy endings were nowhere to be found.

But to be honest, the 2nd half felt much more like random bad things happening than any kind of true reckoning for past misdeeds. And it was boring.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2015, 5:18pm

Post #30 of 75 (1920 views)
Shortcut
I had only seen the first season, [In reply to] Can't Post

so these are new to me. They are listed as 2013, so I don't know how I missed them before, or maybe our area didn't get them before now. In any case, I like them.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 5:48pm

Post #31 of 75 (1921 views)
Shortcut
Home and The Gunman [In reply to] Can't Post

Home - warm and fun, despite not being the most original of stories.

The Gunman - don't let the impressive cast list fool you -- it's a generic action flick. Not an utter waste of time, but a major waste of talent.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 31 2015, 5:49pm)

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 1 2015, 4:39pm

Post #32 of 75 (1913 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw it with my 10 year old granddaughter & eight year old friend at Christmas. They loved it but I would have been happy if it ended at the first ending. And I like musicals but it was too much singing.

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 1 2015, 4:44pm

Post #33 of 75 (1908 views)
Shortcut
I liked it, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it showed how there's always a different side to every story. I watched it at home with my granddaughter who'd already seen it at the theater. I was pleasantly surprised.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2015, 11:09pm

Post #34 of 75 (1904 views)
Shortcut
North and South [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched my DVDs again of this wonderful BBC series. Richard Armitage in what is for me the most romantic kiss ever seen on screen! sigh....HeartHeart
Oh, and it's a great story too, with a fine cast, each and every one.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 2 2015, 3:20pm

Post #35 of 75 (1858 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

That kiss should be in the Smithsonian or something. Smile
sigh and double sigh...

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 3 2015, 11:39pm

Post #36 of 75 (1819 views)
Shortcut
is there any one interested in taking over hosting duties for this thread? // [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 4 2015, 12:06am

Post #37 of 75 (1807 views)
Shortcut
Permanent or vacation? PM me. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 4 2015, 12:18am

Post #38 of 75 (1805 views)
Shortcut
permanent // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 4 2015, 12:38am

Post #39 of 75 (1828 views)
Shortcut
Brethil will be our new hostess [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much for taking over. :-)

(This post was edited by Magpie on Apr 4 2015, 12:38am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 4 2015, 1:19am

Post #40 of 75 (1801 views)
Shortcut
Pleased to help. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Apr 6 2015, 7:44pm

Post #41 of 75 (1737 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the great job you did as hostess! [In reply to] Can't Post

Know that your links and info have been much appreciated!

Permanent address: Into the West

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 6 2015, 8:06pm

Post #42 of 75 (1716 views)
Shortcut
I second that // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 6 2015, 11:20pm

Post #43 of 75 (1719 views)
Shortcut
Our Magpie is one of a kind! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy to step in for the hiatus, whether it be a vacation or duration. You will all just have to put up with me nattering on and on about Walking Dead once its back on. I'm in withdrawal right now. Considering buying a crossbow...

I am at the moment, in my typical cartoon-loving juvenile tastes, enjoying lots of the new Looney Toons. I find them very funny. Blush

Annael
Immortal

Apr 7 2015, 12:17am

Post #44 of 75 (1690 views)
Shortcut
third // [In reply to] Can't Post

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 7 2015, 1:56am

Post #45 of 75 (1679 views)
Shortcut
Fourth! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Kim
Valinor

Apr 7 2015, 2:28am

Post #46 of 75 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Fifth! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to Magpie for all of the great reviews and also to Brethil for taking over, even if I don't watch the Walking Dead. Tongue

Starling
Half-elven

Apr 7 2015, 4:25am

Post #47 of 75 (1674 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't watch The Walking Dead either, but Brethil seems to be insinuating that future threads may contain things that appeal to juvenile tastes, so I'm in. Cool

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2015, 1:06pm

Post #48 of 75 (1651 views)
Shortcut
In that case.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I pledge to balance the intellectual bar a bit by posting all manner of observations regarding the filmography of Richard Armitage and his ground breaking performances in things such as Star Wars" Episode 1 - Phantom Menace as the ever-enthralling "Naboo Fighter Pilot". Yeah! The one in the middle!

And! For those who tend to shy away from SciFi, maybe a scene-by-scene in-depth analysis of North And South along with a tirade on why we in the US missed a few crucial scenes. (Alan Cummings and his ilk, I'm looking at you!)

It won't be quite the same without Magpie, but I think we can rub along as long as she promises to still post the cool stuff from io9. I would definitely miss that! Smile

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Annael
Immortal

Apr 7 2015, 2:36pm

Post #49 of 75 (1644 views)
Shortcut
I note [In reply to] Can't Post

A nomenclature problem.

After the first set of films came out, we were inundated with what we called "Leggy-lovers" or "Orli-lovers." But there was also a less vehement, more enduring movement that became known as the "Bean Estrogen Brigade."

We have a similar situation now. Those whose hearts were stirred most by Aiden Turner (as clearly was the film-maker's intent) are, I suspect, going to prove a flash in the pan. But what about the stronger, no doubt more enduring love for Mr. Armitage? I haven't seen a single term encompassing that group.

I humbly suggest "the RAvers."

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Apr 7 2015, 2:37pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Apr 7 2015, 4:08pm

Post #50 of 75 (1633 views)
Shortcut
You mean The Armitage Army? [In reply to] Can't Post

I finally stopped calling them Armi's Army when they proved more mature than...that other group. =)

April 6th - Tartan Day...Week...Month...thing!

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.