The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Your favorite line.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Mar 30 2015, 7:59pm

Post #1 of 20 (1883 views)
Shortcut
Your favorite line. Can't Post

What is your favorite line from the book in the movies.
Mine: (It is hard because i have so many)
AUJ In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit.
DOS Well thief, i smell you. I hear your breath. I feel your air.
BOTFA You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 8:22pm

Post #2 of 20 (1801 views)
Shortcut
If more people valued home... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Farewell, Master Burglar. Go back to your books... and your armchair... plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people... valued home above gold... this world would be a merrier... place..."

I love both the movie and book version of that quote. I tear up whenever I hear/read it Evil

Iarhen
The Shire

Mar 30 2015, 8:31pm

Post #3 of 20 (1792 views)
Shortcut
Mine is... [In reply to] Can't Post

"You have no power here, servant of Morgoth!"

"You have no power here, servant of Morgoth! You are nameless! Faceless! Formless! Go back to the Void from whence you came!"

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Mar 30 2015, 9:07pm

Post #4 of 20 (1756 views)
Shortcut
Was that in the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

"Do you wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Thorin and Company at your service!"

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid."

"I come from under the hill, and under hills and over hills my path has led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen."

"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock from my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"If more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world."

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

greenbalrog
Bree

Mar 30 2015, 9:16pm

Post #5 of 20 (1746 views)
Shortcut
This [In reply to] Can't Post

Elutherian
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 9:19pm

Post #6 of 20 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Mine... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Saruman believes only great power can hold evil in check, but that is not what I've found. I've found it is the small thing, everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay. Simple acts of kindness and love. Why Bilbo Baggins? Perhaps it is because I'm afraid, and he give me courage." - Gandalf (AUJ)

Chaos isn't a pit, chaos is a ladder.

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 30 2015, 9:29pm

Post #7 of 20 (1734 views)
Shortcut
Too many to choose [In reply to] Can't Post

So not exactly the way you did yours, but at random and off the top of my head:

From the book:

Long will I tarry, ere I being this war for gold

From the films:

If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together.

Imrid amrad ursul!

I have never been so wrong in all my life

We are Sons of Durin. And Durin folk do not flee from a fight.

Do you think flattery will keep you alive? No indeed.

There is one who I could follow. There is one I could call king.

I know these halls. These walls. This stone...

But I'm forgetting you don't have a mountain. And you're not a king. That makes you - nobody, really.

You have grown slow. And fat...in your dotage. Slug...

(This just makes me want to do a 3-film marathon and see it all againTongue)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 9:34pm

Post #8 of 20 (1728 views)
Shortcut
Not as familiar with the book, but I'll try [In reply to] Can't Post

In AUJ I'd go with "What have I got in my pocket?" Pretty sure that was in the book.

As for the other two movies, so much of the story was NOT in the book that I can't be sure of anything. In DOS I like Thranduil's line "Stay here if you will and rot. 100 years is a mere blink in the life of an Elf. I'm patient, I can wait." As for BOT5A, I don't think any of the dialog was in the book. My favorite line is again Bilbo: "I may be a burglar but I'd like to think I'm an honest one."

My favorite character is still Thorin, though.

"Will you follow me, one last time?" HECK YEAHEvilHeart - but I'm pretty sure that wasn't in the book, either.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Mar 30 2015, 9:53pm

Post #9 of 20 (1717 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

As for BOT5A, I don't think any of the dialog was in the book. My favorite line is again Bilbo: "I may be a burglar but I'd like to think I'm an honest one."

That was one of Bibos lines in the book and there are far more dialog in BOTFA then people think. Like my example and many lines from Thorin and Bard´s conversation or Gandalf vs Thorin at the gate.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 10:42pm

Post #10 of 20 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's quote [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot this one:

"I know that dwarves can be obstinate and pigheaded and difficult. And suspicious and secretive, with the worst manners you can possibly imagine. But they are also brave and kind, and loyal to a fault. I've grown very fond of them, and I would save them if I can."

The last part just kind of grabs my heart and wrenches it out of my chest knowing what is to come. Frown

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 4:15am

Post #11 of 20 (1597 views)
Shortcut
1) "In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit." (sigh) [In reply to] Can't Post

2) "You have nice manners for a thief and a liar," said the dragon.

This sentence always tickled me in the book, this great psychopathic worm getting on his high horse with the intriguing little irritant who's invaded his space. And Cumberbatch delivers the line perfectly.

3) "If you don't like my Burglar, please don't damage him!"

This line has it's so very polite but very commanding Headmaster tone. The film slipped Gandalf's wizard voice in there nicely.

4) "You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all. "

I never really got this line as an ending in the book except as a bit of friendly teasing, but in the film it makes sense as an observation and a warning parting shot from the wizard to his friend who he can see has been affected, perhaps dangerously so, by having a magic ring.

Welcome to the forum, oh Smaug the Iron, and thanks for the idea of this thread. I don't remember covering this before. Cheers.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 8:04am

Post #12 of 20 (1537 views)
Shortcut
So many fine lines to choose from... [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ (I couldn't bring myself to pick just one):
"All good stories deserve embellishment."
"Is he a great wizard, or is he more like you?"
"True courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one."

DOS:
"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together!"

BOFA:
"You sit here, in these vast halls, with a crown upon your head and yet you are lesser now than you have ever been."

Timdalf
Rivendell

Mar 31 2015, 12:03pm

Post #13 of 20 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Not your usual suspect! [In reply to] Can't Post

But it actually is my favoritest of lineses in all three films (and not in the book regrettably!)!

[BILBO pulls out his sword and looks at it.]

BALIN: I wouldn’t bother, laddie. Swords are named for the great deeds they do in war.

BILBO: What are you saying, my sword hasn’t seen battle?

BALIN: [To Bilbo] I'm no actually sure it is a sword, more of a letter opener, really!

Inside joke for those of us who have all the Middle-earth letter openers!! And delivered to perfection.

(This post was edited by Timdalf on Mar 31 2015, 12:05pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 12:09pm

Post #14 of 20 (1483 views)
Shortcut
You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins. [In reply to] Can't Post

You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all.

It is such a perfect summary of TH and LotR.

And Sir Ian's delivery was perfect.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Mar 31 2015, 12:09pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 12:35pm

Post #15 of 20 (1473 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

And somehow no one had mentioned (at least that I had seen) that that line was actually in the film before I saw it, meaning that it was one of the only iconic lines that I got to hear without knowing that it was coming.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 12:52pm

Post #16 of 20 (1466 views)
Shortcut
Yes, to this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are many other lines I like, but if I have to pick one, it's this one.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 4:17pm

Post #17 of 20 (1422 views)
Shortcut
That is a great line. [In reply to] Can't Post

I really have to sit and go through these to pick just one. That is a cop out answer I know.

Gianna
Rohan

Mar 31 2015, 5:14pm

Post #18 of 20 (1409 views)
Shortcut
My favourite line [In reply to] Can't Post

My very favourite book-to-movie line was "If any of you ever comes through the Shire... tea is at four." A close runner-up is Thorin's "If more of us valued gold less than food and merriment, it would be a better world." (I'm pretty sure that's dreadfully misquoted! Smile)

A third would be Gandalf's Good Morning line in AUJ!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

marary
Lorien

Mar 31 2015, 5:30pm

Post #19 of 20 (1400 views)
Shortcut
to be completely honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

Blunt the knives, bend the forks
Smash the bottles and burn the corks...!

and so forth

Hands down!

And my close runner up: "We are sons of Durin, and Durin's folk do not flee from a fight."

(This post was edited by marary on Mar 31 2015, 5:32pm)

Adrianna
Lorien

Apr 2 2015, 7:41am

Post #20 of 20 (1269 views)
Shortcut
There are several [In reply to] Can't Post

But I like the line when Thorin askes his fellow dwarves to follow him one last time. Then the horn sounds and the bell goes crashing through the gates and Thorin and Co is running out with weapons in hand. Dain's yelling to the king, to the king!

Also when Thranduil is talking to Bard about wizards. That seemed like a tongue twister to say.

"I did free him. I freed his wretched head from his miserable shoulders."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.