Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo’s Farewell to Thorin - Poignant or Funny?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 2:26pm

Post #26 of 34 (661 views)
Shortcut
Well, we can take comfort in our agreement with each other! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

MistyMountain
Lorien

Mar 31 2015, 2:43pm

Post #27 of 34 (657 views)
Shortcut
funny? FUNNY?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Who, in their right mind, would EVER think this scene was funny in any way! It NEVER crossed my mind. His little whimper is heart-breaking. Perhaps it was only those who never (yet) lost a loved one (or even a pet -- which, for me, is almost as bad). Or, as others have suggested, were men who felt uncomfortable at such sadness (sorry guys but our society's males aren't allowed or schooled in the ways of dealing with emotions -- which I hope is changing). All I can say is, thank God for the audiences I saw the movie with (multiple times). No one ever laughed and many people were crying (as they should).

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 3:56pm

Post #28 of 34 (635 views)
Shortcut
Would one more agreement help? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 4:26pm

Post #29 of 34 (623 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just so agree with EVERYTHING you wrote. I am baffled how anyone could find a scene - a difficult scene I think played with superb realism and is beautiful while completely heartbreaking - amusing.Unimpressed

Unless they are in the happy place of never having had to suffer loss and know what it's like to go through that - and yes, I can see, possibly, some of the younger audience members may be in that position and uncomfortable with intense emotion.

I'm just glad I didn't have that kind of audience for my viewings.Unimpressed

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 5:06pm

Post #30 of 34 (618 views)
Shortcut
You are always a great comfort! [In reply to] Can't Post

In truth, I almost included you in my previous statement since I was sure you would have been in agreement, but I didn't want to be presumptuous.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 5:35pm

Post #31 of 34 (603 views)
Shortcut
On that I think it would have been a pretty safe bet! // [In reply to] Can't Post

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 5:36pm

Post #32 of 34 (618 views)
Shortcut
I'm used to swimming against the current... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but it's always good to have company. Tongue

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Mar 31 2015, 10:59pm

Post #33 of 34 (572 views)
Shortcut
That was when... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the movie actually made me tear up - the cut to Tauriel. I had been just on the verge untiul that moment. I thought it fit just fine with what came before it.

Súleth
The Shire

Apr 1 2015, 2:03am

Post #34 of 34 (556 views)
Shortcut
No, not funny [In reply to] Can't Post

It never occurred to me that this scene could be perceived as anything but really, really sad. I don't think it was intentionally funny either.
This was a moment when the whole theater fell silent. Even my younger siblings. And that's saying something!

The only time my sister was giggling was when I had to sob a little near the end of the movie after tears had been running down my face for like half an hour. But that's just because they're just not as invested in these movies and the characters as I am. They enjoyed the screenings, but that's it.

(This post was edited by Súleth on Apr 1 2015, 2:05am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.