Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What's your favorite time(s) of the year?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What's your favorite time(s) of the year?
Winter
Spring
Summer
Fall
A particular Holiday season?
A particular tradition?
Your birthday!
Other. Share with the group. ;-)
View Results (79 votes)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 23 2015, 9:16pm

Post #26 of 61 (2099 views)
Shortcut
Spring is # 2 on the list for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I just love all the LIFE in the warmer seasons. Birds, plants, grass. Cool

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 23 2015, 9:22pm

Post #27 of 61 (2098 views)
Shortcut
Coincidence or not, my birth season, autumn [In reply to] Can't Post

I pretty much enjoy the beginning part of every season but fall, the enjoyable part, seems most precious because that profound sense of fruition and all the leafy colors, earthy aromas, moody mists, seem to go by too fast. Then what's left of fall is just nekkid trees and cold, pewter skies. By the time the calendar rolls a season to its end, I'm more than ready to greet the next one, especially winter. * BLECH!! * (No offense, Daniel. Wink)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 23 2015, 9:38pm

Post #28 of 61 (2103 views)
Shortcut
October [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, it was October.
A rare month for boys.
Full of long nights, cold winds,
Dark promises.
The days grow short.
The shadows lengthen.
And the wind blows in such a way
That it makes you want to run forever.
Because up ahead
Ten thousand pumpkins lie waiting to be cut.

-Something Wicked This Way Comes (1983)

(Also Wifey loves Halloween.)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 23 2015, 10:14pm

Post #29 of 61 (2098 views)
Shortcut
Summer. [In reply to] Can't Post

I teach summer school, but it only meets four days a week, so I get long weekends. We head for the mountains, where it's nice and cool, on those long weekends, and the long days mean we can hike until 10:00. I'm not that fond of all the yardwork that comes with summer, though.

I didn't pick a holiday, but I also love the July 4 holiday that comes in summer, with the fireworks.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 23 2015, 10:32pm

Post #30 of 61 (2098 views)
Shortcut
The Fall is my favorite season. [In reply to] Can't Post

For a variety of reasons -- the glorious colors, the cooling temps, the knowledge that it won't be *&^%$#! summer for a few more months. And like hobbits, autumn is when I am most prone to wanderlust. (At least, as wanderlusty as an introverted homebody like me gets, lol!)

As far as holidays, Easter is my favorite, because of its spiritual significance.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 23 2015, 11:14pm

Post #31 of 61 (2095 views)
Shortcut
So what you're saying is [In reply to] Can't Post

The pool's open for anyone visiting you in the summer? Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 3:01am

Post #32 of 61 (2078 views)
Shortcut
I like Autumn more since Hubby loves it so [In reply to] Can't Post

so I've learned to love the 'harvest' feeling - but then, as a gardener, that comes with the turf too. Then...chilly, nekkid trees. Unsure So true. Like I have now.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 3:06am

Post #33 of 61 (2079 views)
Shortcut
Do you travel a lot in Autumn - or just get the wander-lust bug? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And like hobbits, autumn is when I am most prone to wanderlust. (At least, as wanderlusty as an introverted homebody like me gets, lol!)

There are many lovely places to see, with seasonal changes.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 3:08am

Post #34 of 61 (2075 views)
Shortcut
If I lived closer I would do your yardwork! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I didn't pick a holiday, but I also love the July 4 holiday that comes in summer, with the fireworks.

I love it all. Though I tend to bite off more than I can chew, usually. And as the menfolk hide in the AC I am out there by me Gaffery lonesome, digging and hauling and trimming. But I do love it.

I like the Fourth for our local Atlantic League baseball games when they play at home.

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 3:10am

Post #35 of 61 (2074 views)
Shortcut
Yuppo. BYOS. Bring Your Own Swimsuit. I gots lots of towels. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The pool's open for anyone visiting you in the summer? Tongue

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 3:13am

Post #36 of 61 (2079 views)
Shortcut
We love Halloween too. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of our neighbors is the local High School psychologist. My BFF observed one year after touring our Halloween decorations that our son might get a call down to the office. "Have a seat. Tell me about your parents...Halloween decorations.' We try not to go overboard anymore.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Mar 24 2015, 3:13am)

Kim
Valinor

Mar 24 2015, 6:31am

Post #37 of 61 (2064 views)
Shortcut
Excellent [In reply to] Can't Post

And perhaps some frosty beverages? We could make it into an offshoot of the River. Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 11:17am

Post #38 of 61 (2051 views)
Shortcut
Yup. Another great thing about summer. Cold drinks go with pool floats. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 24 2015, 1:22pm

Post #39 of 61 (2047 views)
Shortcut
Overboard [In reply to] Can't Post

Wifey throws a costume party. She buys new additions to the lawn decorations every year. People don't just talk, they come by and gawk.

(And get free candy. The good stuff.) Wink

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 24 2015, 1:24pm

Post #40 of 61 (2048 views)
Shortcut
Christmas [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Arannir on Mar 24 2015, 1:28pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 24 2015, 4:53pm

Post #41 of 61 (2026 views)
Shortcut
I LOVE your Santa! // [In reply to] Can't Post

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 25 2015, 4:43pm

Post #42 of 61 (1936 views)
Shortcut
The urge mostly. [In reply to] Can't Post

But now that I will have more leisure to do things like that, I may actually start doing some traveling.

sherlock
Gondor

Mar 25 2015, 4:58pm

Post #43 of 61 (1933 views)
Shortcut
I still picked winter but [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it less since my husband died. We've heated our house with a wood stove for over 30 years. He was the main one for getting the wood, stacking and cleaning out he stove. It's been a struggle with just me. I did have a heat pump put in but I also use the wood stove. The last two winters have been unusually long and cold and at times I had the heat pump and wood stove going and it was still cold.

I still love snow and cold weather but not quite as much. I hate the heat and humidity and bugs we get in the summer here on the east coast.

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 25 2015, 10:20pm

Post #44 of 61 (1893 views)
Shortcut
I spend at least a week of every summer in Maine! [In reply to] Can't Post

Southern Maine (York and Ogunquit area to be precise) and it is the best part of my entire year! It really is a beautiful state. I've never seen it in any other season, but I'm determined to someday!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2015, 2:38am

Post #45 of 61 (1871 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm not feeling spring right now [In reply to] Can't Post

We just had our first round of tornado warnings this evening. There was a fair amount of damage in the area, but things could definitely have been worse. I guess all of the seasons have their share of potential dangers to go with the beauty and wonder.

On a brighter note, the forsythia and redbuds are starting to bloom and should be beautiful in about a week. Dogwood and azaleas should follow soon after.

But in general, I like spring and fall the best. Winter is nice for a while; if only spring came right after Christmas. I used to like summer when I was a kid and summer meant swimming and playing in the sprinkler. But summers lately have been brutal and no one should have to see me in a bathing suit. Tongue

(This post was edited by zarabia on Mar 26 2015, 2:44am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 3:56pm

Post #46 of 61 (1820 views)
Shortcut
Real-life tornadoes: not good. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We just had our first round of tornado warnings this evening. There was a fair amount of damage in the area, but things could definitely have been worse. I guess all of the seasons have their share of potential dangers to go with the beauty and wonder.

Yes. I hope everyone is OK and rebuilds quickly.

On a brighter note, the forsythia and redbuds are starting to bloom and should be beautiful in about a week. Dogwood and azaleas should follow soon after.

Good for you! I am checking all my fruit buds every day as I want them to stay closed for the duration of these freezing temps we have. I wish yours luck!

Winter is nice for a while; if only spring came right after Christmas.

That's exactly how I feel. Every year after Christmas I tell the hubby and son, 'now we face the long dark of January.' And then I say it again at the beginning of February. Son of course thinks its apt and amusing; hubby doesn't get the reference I suspect (which is just as well. Mocking would follow.) Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 26 2015, 4:11pm

Post #47 of 61 (1818 views)
Shortcut
I hope you have a chance this fall then! After a rough year [In reply to] Can't Post

it may be a great mental tonic, seeing new vistas. Cool

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 2:54pm

Post #48 of 61 (1734 views)
Shortcut
Summer [In reply to] Can't Post

And last summer, in particular. On the east coast of the U.S. it was the most beautiful summer weather we ever had. Dry, sunny, very warm but not too hot, no humidity. And when it rained, it just rained and then it stopped and there was no lingering humidity or swampiness. It would just clear up right away and go back to being dry and warm and sunny again. It was amazing.

I would be great to have a repeat of that this summer*!

* assuming it ever stops snowing **

** which it hasn't, yet

CrazyShockedSly

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 30 2015, 3:44pm

Post #49 of 61 (1732 views)
Shortcut
DITTO to all of this!!!!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And last summer, in particular. On the east coast of the U.S. it was the most beautiful summer weather we ever had. Dry, sunny, very warm but not too hot, no humidity. And when it rained, it just rained and then it stopped and there was no lingering humidity or swampiness. It would just clear up right away and go back to being dry and warm and sunny again. It was amazing.

I would be great to have a repeat of that this summer*!

* assuming it ever stops snowing **

** which it hasn't, yet

CrazyShockedSly

I am with you! I would love a repeat as well! That lower humidity but plenty of sun and heat makes a happy season, for people, plants and birds! Our snow from Saturday is gone - now just the great, 20 foot mounds of ugly grey snow are left in plowed parking lots and such. Bleh. Melt and go back to Mother Earth please. And don't send anymore.

Hmmm. They have a 'no-call' list. Can we get on a 'no-snow' - sorta list???Laugh

Theodora
The Shire

Mar 31 2015, 7:58pm

Post #50 of 61 (1682 views)
Shortcut
Spring! I can not wait to work in the garden again. [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.