Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Pictures of the Finished Thorin Doll (Needle-Felted Sculpture)

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 5:41pm

Post #1 of 19 (3598 views)
Shortcut
Pictures of the Finished Thorin Doll (Needle-Felted Sculpture) Can't Post

Hello! I've had a post on this forum showing various photos of Hobbit Character Dolls that I've made. CLICK HERE to see the other post.

Since that post is getting harder to find now, I figured it would be a good idea to post photos of the finished Thorin doll in a new post.

Thorin has been "in the works" for almost two months. He is needle-felted out of Merino wool roving (with a little Cotswold for the skin tone) using .40 and .42 gauge needles. The wool in his pants and overcoat is a Merino/Silk blend of black and navy blue. His boots are felted from dark brown Corriedale roving, and they are completed with Rabbit fur and leather thong. He has a lighter-blue tunic, then a grey-leather piece of "chest armour". His short sleeves and the bottom of his armour tunic are felted Merino in two colors. The dark blue is put on the bottom and felted up into the light grey to give the modeled effect. His next coat is felted from dark blue Merino roving, and the belt is navy blue leather that my sister painted with Thorin's designs. His "arm guards" are made of black leather with real metal "buckles" (also made by my fabulous sister!). His overcoat is felted with real Mink trim sewn on and trimmed to shape. His face is completely felted wool (no paint or anything), and his hair is made from Mohair Kid Locks. My sister also made the metal bands in his hair, which I think is just the perfect finishing touch. :)

Thorin weighs 3-1/4 ounces, stands 9-1/4" tall and took 61 hours to complete.

I've put up ten pictures here (sorry about the scrolling!). I'll put more up on my website, so I'll post the link to that as soon as it is ready. The first photo shows the beginnings of Thorin with different pieces in the process of being felted. The second photo shows the doll when it was partially finished and before he had a head, belt or overcoat. Yes, they look kind of strange, but the head and hair are the last pieces to go on! :) The final photo here shows the Thorin doll with the Tauriel doll that I made a couple of months ago. They are very similar in size (not to scale, obviously). Tauriel is made pretty much to scale with the Elrond doll that I made. Thorin will be to scale with the Bilbo doll that is in the works.

Hope everyone enjoys the photos! Bilbo is coming next, followed by Bard and Dwalin, I think. My Mom is really wanting a Bard doll of her own, so it's a special request!

Regards,
Sarah

*pictures removed - too large* See here for picture posting guidelines

Edited pictures here.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Mar 28 2015, 10:14pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 28 2015, 7:13pm

Post #2 of 19 (3562 views)
Shortcut
Outstanding! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I'm waiting for the book-accurate variant Thorin (still based on Richard Armitage)!

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 28 2015, 8:13pm

Post #3 of 19 (3544 views)
Shortcut
Your pictures were too large [In reply to] Can't Post

so I removed them. Please see here for picture posting guidelines.

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 8:23pm

Post #4 of 19 (3574 views)
Shortcut
Sorry. Here are new pictures. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll post these in a few posts this time, so here they go.

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 8:25pm

Post #5 of 19 (3563 views)
Shortcut
Thorin Doll Pics #3 &4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 8:25pm

Post #6 of 19 (3563 views)
Shortcut
Thorin Doll Pics #5 & 6 [In reply to] Can't Post

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 8:27pm

Post #7 of 19 (3558 views)
Shortcut
Thorin Doll Pics #7 & 8 [In reply to] Can't Post

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 28 2015, 9:13pm

Post #8 of 19 (3538 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 9:15pm

Post #9 of 19 (3545 views)
Shortcut
Any chance that you could put a note in the original post . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi! Any chance that you could edit that original post with a note saying that the photos are put in below? I tried, but there doesn't seem to be a way for me to edit it. Thanks very much!

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 28 2015, 9:30pm

Post #10 of 19 (3541 views)
Shortcut
Those are seriously cool [In reply to] Can't Post

and dabbling a short afternoon in needle felting, I have the utmost respect for work of this caliber.

Now if only I could afford all the work I find seriously cool and respect to the utmost degree! :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Kim
Valinor

Mar 28 2015, 9:57pm

Post #11 of 19 (3540 views)
Shortcut
Wow! This is fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks amazing, and spot on! Thanks to you and your sister for all of your time and effort. Very well done! Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 28 2015, 10:13pm

Post #12 of 19 (3541 views)
Shortcut
Sure [In reply to] Can't Post

You can only edit your posts within 10 minutes of the original submission. Admins can make the changes, though.

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Mar 29 2015, 12:51am

Post #13 of 19 (3519 views)
Shortcut
High-Res photos of Thorin on My Website [In reply to] Can't Post

Here they are! I finally got his page up and running, so you can see all the photos that I took at Higher Res here:

http://sarahbethonline.com/...eberries/thorin.html

Thanks for the nice comments! I am so excited about this doll. He is going to the State Fair this year. :)

Sarah

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 30 2015, 12:31pm

Post #14 of 19 (3477 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your work is just fantastic, really impressive. Good luck with Thorin at the fair!

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2015, 3:33am

Post #15 of 19 (3405 views)
Shortcut
Very Creative// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Apr 4 2015, 11:49am

Post #16 of 19 (3370 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the Nice Comments! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks to everybody for all the nice comments! I'm already working on another doll. :) This time the doll is Bilbo. Pictures of him will come as soon as he is finished.

Kirly
Lorien

Apr 4 2015, 5:02pm

Post #17 of 19 (3360 views)
Shortcut
These are incredible! [In reply to] Can't Post

I immediately thought how many fans might love to have a set. But the amount of time you put into each one might make it cost prohibitive. These, and your earlier pix too, are so beautiful and look so much like the movie characters.

My avatar photo is Lake Tekapo in New Zealand's South Island. Taken by me in 2004 on a Red Carpet Tours LOTR Movie Location Tour. 'Twas the Vacation of a Lifetime!

pictures taken while on the tour are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Kirly7/LOTRNewZealandTour#

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Apr 4 2015, 5:09pm

Post #18 of 19 (3357 views)
Shortcut
A Set of Felted Dwarves! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny that you mention that. This is just about all that my sister and I have talked about for the last three days. In fact, we decided to actually make the whole set of dwarves! I've already made Elrond, Tauriel and Beorn. My sister would like Legolas, and my Mom wants Bard. By the time that I'm done, we'll have a pretty cool set. My sister and I are going to make a pair of Gandalf dolls, as she would like to try her hand at making a doll --- and Gandalf should be a good starter. :)

We are going to do the dwarves together, as my sister does the leather and metal. We were at the craft store yesterday buying some beads and metal pieces. The price for selling these would be really prohibitive, because the time is really intensive. We're hoping to have the set done in about a year and a half, but that means a lot of work to finish that "quickly". :) I'll post photos of each one as they come along.

Thanks for the nice comments! It's always fun to hear feedback from other fans, and it's encouraging to know that you think they look like the characters. That is always the challenge in making dolls --- getting the doll to look like a certain character and not just like a doll. :)

Regards,
Sarah

Barrel Rider
Rivendell

Aug 1 2015, 11:36am

Post #19 of 19 (2301 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo Doll is Finished! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi, Everybody! I have finished the Bilbo Baggins doll now. Photos are posted in a thread here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.