Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 28 2015, 11:30pm

Post #1 of 75 (3508 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently? Can't Post

tell us about them here.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Immortal

Mar 29 2015, 1:07am

Post #2 of 75 (3168 views)
Shortcut
well I WOULD be watching Outlander tonight [In reply to] Can't Post

but my UPS store (where I get my mail) is being remodeled so I can't pick up my copy of the first season which is sitting somewhere waiting for me. Argh! I only got to see the first episode which was enough to convince me to buy the DVD.

So, lessee: well, Broadchurch Season Two. Lawyers get involved and things get really nasty. Tennant's not as front and center in this one. Weird to see Jarvis from Agent Carter playing a hunky possible-suspect, wandering around displaying muscles.

People with soul can identify with another person's basic human struggle without either judgment or indifference.

-- Thomas Moore

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 29 2015, 12:55pm

Post #3 of 75 (3120 views)
Shortcut
On Friday night, last episode of BBC's 'Musketeers'. [In reply to] Can't Post

*fans self* Quite a white-knuckle ride it was, too! The music was particularly good, not to mention the *cough* scenery... There's a third series coming along, but not until next year. *sigh*

MistyMountain
Lorien

Mar 29 2015, 3:51pm

Post #4 of 75 (3111 views)
Shortcut
Vikings [In reply to] Can't Post

Trying very hard NOT to binge-watch this one. It is all over too fast that way but I have watched one or two episodes a night. I LOVE that there are shield maidens!! Being of Scandinavian descent, I am both proud and mortified at the fighting skills of the Northmen. I do prefer the "vikings on horseback" of the Rohirrim!!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2015, 4:06pm

Post #5 of 75 (3106 views)
Shortcut
Hackers (1995) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was cleaning out my mail and documents folders and found it stuck in with some non-related stuff. I must have downloaded it years ago when I was going through Jonny Lee Miller's filmography. It's a fun movie, hilarious to watch now, 20 years later with all the advances in computer technology. How they visualized computer hacking was pretty cool though. One of those silly goofy movies that you watch because... I don't know why...

Smile

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2015, 5:34pm

Post #6 of 75 (3106 views)
Shortcut
Recorded, but not yet watched [In reply to] Can't Post

Case Histories is back, starring Jason Isaacs! I really enjoyed this series a couple of years ago and have been waiting to see if it would be expanded.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2015, 5:40pm

Post #7 of 75 (3097 views)
Shortcut
Bakshi FilmFest: Heavy Traffic, American Pop, LOTR and Wizards [In reply to] Can't Post

at the Aero in Santa Monica Friday and Saturday night

Q and A each night with Bakshi and somewhere out there is an interview of Bakshi by Cliff Broadway from Saturday which should be extremely interesting if the QA repartee was any indication (let's just say that Bakshi is not a fan of homage and says he's never seen Jackson's LOTR)

Heavy Traffic -- not my favorite Bakshi -- story of a cartoonist (shades of autobiograhical inserting by Bakshi) and his decidely violent family situation -- I see the appeal to the "fanboys" but not my cup of tea. (There is a definite difference between fanboy events vs. fangirl events -- Jackson's LOTR events that I've attended pull heavily female... not Bakshi)

American Pop -- I love this movie. Four generations of American music... fantastically well done. Several of the voice actors for American Pop were in attendance on Friday night -- Ron Thompson (Tony/Pete) and Richard Singer (Benny) most notably.

Bakshi's LOTR -- The script by Peter Beagle -- who has spoken at several conventions about this production-- is wonderful. Other elements are problematic. While there are wonderful images (many of which Jackson deliberately recreated) there are also some issues that just irritate me -- Legolas is cross eyed and the costuming choices for Boromir and Aragorn are bizarre. Mispronunciation of Tolkien's names and let's not forget the "Aruman" pronunciation that slips in every now and then. Bakshi says the flaws (and he said he doesn't watch his movies after they are released because all he sees are the flaws) were due to time and money.

Wizards -- I remember going to see this in a theater in Louisville KY in 1978 while my husband was at Fort Knox. Star Wars was still playing in theaters (this was a year after its release but it was still drawing crowds and this was long before the day of three month from opening to video release) -- and the opening of Wizards is definitely derivative of Star Wars -- though Bakshi says he doesn't watch other animators because he doesn't want their stuff creeping in -- well it crept in anyway.

Wizards is the battle between magic and technology with references to Hitler. Bakshi said he is considering crowdfunding a Wizards 2 and that the situations in the Middle East would be prime material -- he expects war-- Meanwhile he has crowdfunded a short entitled The Last Days of Coney Island which he showed a teaser of.

Watching all four Bakshi on the big screen so close together and getting to listen to his views on being a director of animated feature films was an incredible experience. Thanks to TORn for leading me to it.

There are lots of links to TORN's recordings of Bakshi's Saturday night QA session on the TORn live page.... here's Cliff and Bakshi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zam9pQH61rU&feature=youtu.be&a

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Mar 29 2015, 5:50pm)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2015, 6:15pm

Post #8 of 75 (3091 views)
Shortcut
Definitely go see Cliff's interview in the TORn live section. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bakshi is brutally honest about his opinions of Jackson etc.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 29 2015, 6:27pm

Post #9 of 75 (3092 views)
Shortcut
Are they showing new episodes? [In reply to] Can't Post

I assumed these were just repeats of older episodes.

I doesn't look like there's been anything new since 2013

Morthoron
Gondor

Mar 29 2015, 7:44pm

Post #10 of 75 (3072 views)
Shortcut
Watched Rodrigo Y Gabriela on PBS last night... [In reply to] Can't Post

They were on a "Live from the Artist's Den" on my local PBS outlet. If you haven't seen Rodrigo Y Gabriela, you are in for a real treat. Their style of acoustic guitar composition and their interplay is enthralling. For wont of a more apt description, I guess one could call their style Flamenco-jazz-death metal on acoustic guitars. Watching Gabriela Quintero's whirling dervish performance with rapid-fire wrist drumming percussion on her guitar while playing complex chords is not to be missed. Here's a sample from the program:

http://zumic.com/...cial-youtube-videos/

Based on what I saw, I ordered three CDs from Amazon this morning. Can't believe I missed this act previously.Crazy

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Mar 29 2015, 7:46pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 29 2015, 11:33pm

Post #11 of 75 (3055 views)
Shortcut
Wait till you get to this week's episode. [In reply to] Can't Post

Without giving anything away, absolutely crushing, even though logistically it was hard to see a scenario where something along the lines of what happened didn't go down.

The story just got a whole lot darker.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 12:01am

Post #12 of 75 (3049 views)
Shortcut
Grantchester [In reply to] Can't Post

What a lovely little limited series. My mom and I both liked it alot.

It's about a young Cambridgeshire vicar in the 1950's dealing with a messy love life and WWII scars as he tries to help the local inspector solve crimes when the detective realizes that people are more likely to spill info to a sympathetic man of God than the police. James Norton and Robson Green are great as the idealistic Sidney and crusty Geordie. Also excellent are Tessa Peake-Jones as Sidney's domineering but fiercely loyal housekeeper Mrs. Maguire and Al Weaver as Sidney's even younger new curate Leonard, a meek, good-intentioned young man who is implied to be a closeted gay in a time when coming out wasn't necessarily a safe idea. All are loveable in spite and perhaps because of their flaws, which are forgiveable because these are all good, decent people.

The interest lies mostly in the bromance between Sidney and Geordie and the addressing of social issues - not only Leonard's but also racial (Sidney's sister has a black boyfriend) and cultural (one of Sidney's potential love interests is German in a time when England as a whole was somewhat understandably not feeling too friendly towards Germans yet). Finally, the Cambridgeshire scenery is beautiful.

Glad to hear that this will be getting a second limited series.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2015, 12:07am

Post #13 of 75 (3053 views)
Shortcut
Probably best that I avoid it then... [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

...given my low opinion of Bakshi's film and my complete adoration of PJ's.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2015, 1:59am

Post #14 of 75 (3048 views)
Shortcut
Call the Midwife and Father Brown and Last of the Mohicans [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Weasley is Father Brown! I like him better than the one from the 70s. He is more how I saw the character when I read a few of the books years ago.

Call the Midwife - I love this show. I don't know why but I smile a lot during this show. Maybe it's because I love babies, maybe it's the characters.

Daniel Day-Lewis is amazing. "nuf said.

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Kim
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 3:23am

Post #15 of 75 (3028 views)
Shortcut
Hannibal season 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched episodes 1 and 2 last night now that it's on Amazon Prime Video. Still gruesome, but the psychological aspects are amping up. Still curious to see how that plays out, so will just avert my eyes during the icky parts. Crazy

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 1:33pm

Post #16 of 75 (2988 views)
Shortcut
The Man Who Would Be King [In reply to] Can't Post

1975. I read a description of this one years ago and dismissed it as something that I probably wouldn't like, expecting it to be a dark, gritty Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now kind of story. Was I ever wrong! That was great swashbuckling fun. Connery and Caine were quite the dynamic duo.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 30 2015, 2:00pm

Post #17 of 75 (2972 views)
Shortcut
Glad you enjoyed it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 3:25pm

Post #18 of 75 (2996 views)
Shortcut
Into the Woods [In reply to] Can't Post

Watched it with Mrs. Notta and the two Nottettes (girls, ages 11 & 13). Roughly the first half was entertaining, then we hit a point where we thought the movie was ending - boy were we wrong!

From that point on the movie went on, and on, and on. And was dumb, boring, and did I mention it dragged on? Oh, and it ended lamely after that.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 6:34pm

Post #19 of 75 (2970 views)
Shortcut
Maleficent [In reply to] Can't Post

I had an odd experience with this film. Because I saw it over the weekend, and what I saw was a beautiful film that spoke to me of the conflict between and ultimate reconciliation of our spiritual selves and our earthly existence. I was so moved by it, that I went online to look up other reviews and analyses, expecting that somebody out there would have interpreted it in the same vein and had something to share along those lines. Instead I found reviews that called it evil and subversive, I found reviews that said it was about industrialism vs agriculturalism, reviews that said it was about the conflicts between men and women, and even statements by the film team themselves who said it was about female power and that the wing cutting scene was about rape.

I was very taken aback, reading all that. Because I had seen it as being about our spiritual selves, and full of symbolism - her wings symbolizing our connection to the spirit world and our true selves, her attraction to Stefan being our curiosity about and interest in earthly life, her falling asleep symbolized how the lure of earthly and material activities can become so strong that the spirit goes to sleep, and when that happens we are vulnerable to that disconnection - the losing the wings - suddenly our spirit voice can no longer be heard and our inner power is lost. Then we wander - earthbound - in the wilderness, we become hardened like the world around us, betrayed and lonely. Then though, we rediscover something that reminds us of who we were originally, Aurora symbolizing Maleficent's remembering the self she once was - even the curse of putting her to sleep, is an echo of the memory of the spirit self going to sleep. Then through love we regain our connection to the spirit world, symbolized by the wings still being alive all along, just as the connection to spirit is always there all along, it's just shut away and inaccessible. Through love the two sides are reconciled, the spiritual and the earthly.

That's what I thought it meant. So I liked it. But maybe I imagined it. Maybe Inigo would say ... I do not think that movie means what you think it means Wink.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 8:06pm

Post #20 of 75 (2962 views)
Shortcut
It sounds like they missed the point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen it yet, but I get the impression from other things I've read that they diluted a lot of the story's power. The second half is one huge allegory of life not turning out as good as we thought it would and dealing with loss. Very, very different from and much darker than the first half of the play - and it doesn't work if you sugar coat it.
I would recommend the filmed version of the original cast

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 8:54pm

Post #21 of 75 (2951 views)
Shortcut
This is going to show my cultural ignorance here, but [In reply to] Can't Post

It comes in plays?

Leave it to Hollywood to muck up an existing story.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 30 2015, 9:53pm

Post #22 of 75 (2952 views)
Shortcut
Birdman, Dracula Untold [In reply to] Can't Post

Uncle Baggins wanted to see "Birdman", after seeing the buzz during the Oscars. I was, as my dad would say, impressed but not favorably. I thought it was pretentious and annoying.

The acting was good. The continuous shots were innovative, but innovative doesn't mean good. The writing was pretentious and annoying and self-absorbed. I didn't like any of the characters. If it had been funny, it would have reminded me of "Noises Off", which we all enjoyed. But it didn't have any humor either. Kind of a depressing, unfunny farce. Boo. Uncle Baggins didn't dislike it as much as I did, but he didn't really like it either.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed "Dracula Untold". I thought it was one of the best vampire movies I've ever seen (my favorite being "Love at First Bite", and my second favorite being Frank Langella's "Dracula". Oh, and the original "Nosferatu", of course.) I appreciated that it kept to PG13 levels of gore, similar to the LotR battle scenes. Not much blood for all the loss of limb, which is fine with me.

I really loved the effect where he turned into a swarm of bats and back into a human so swiftly. Really compelling. And I loved the history, though I realize that it was modified quite a bit. (My religion has its roots in Transylvania, and my sister-in-law is Turkish, so I find that history pretty interesting.) The story was compelling, and the acting was good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 30 2015, 11:29pm

Post #23 of 75 (2916 views)
Shortcut
just fyi for Netflix folks: the second season of The Almighty Johnsons has shown up on streaming [In reply to] Can't Post

not sure when that happened but in the last few weeks, I think.

I haven't had a chance to watch any of it (second season) yet.

What We Do in the Shadows is releasing on DVD in May (again, on Netflix)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 30 2015, 11:30pm

Post #24 of 75 (2929 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of vampire movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you had the chance to see What We Do in the Shadows? It's being independently released in the States and increasingly more cinemas are being added - they post about the new cinemas on their Facebook page.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 11:32pm

Post #25 of 75 (2924 views)
Shortcut
Heh. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep. It's a musical by Stephen Sondheim. Joanna Gleason won the best actress Tony for the Baker's Wife, and the marquee name was Bernadette Peters (as the Witch).

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.