Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
This is for people who believe The Hobbit was rsceived well because it made a lot of money...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 29 2015, 9:51am

Post #1 of 29 (2452 views)
Shortcut
     This is for people who believe The Hobbit was rsceived well because it made a lot of money...  

http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/30lit4/in_many_shots_of_the_hobbit_battle_of_the_five/

I sometimes felt I was delusional for posting about my qualms with these films on these forums. I think its probably the other way around.

This trilogy was just lazy. Sure, there were good actors, and a handful of good scenes. But does that really make up for the OTT and poorly executed final product? No. This will probably be the last time I post on here. My final verdict on these films...

Martin Freeman was the best Bilbo ever. Everything else was either mediocre or horrible. Case closed for me.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 10:54am

Post #2 of 29 (2253 views)
Shortcut
     I believe The Hobbit was received well.... [In reply to]  

.. because I've spoken to people who enjoyed it and read posts written by people enjoyed it and published reviews by critics who praised it. Oh - and I enjoyed it myself. Very much.

I believe it made a lot of money because people enjoyed it.

Other people, like yourself, didn't enjoy it at all. That is as it is: why does our existence offend you so much? One of my closest friends hated AUJ so much she didn't even go to the other two films, but it doesn't change our friendship one bit.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 10:59am

Post #3 of 29 (2256 views)
Shortcut
     Delusional and proud! [In reply to]  

Farewell! I hope you find more happiness and satisfaction wherever you decide to go from here. Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 11:11am

Post #4 of 29 (2238 views)
Shortcut
     Yes - I second BlackFox on this.... [In reply to]  

I hope you find something else that you really enjoy.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2015, 11:25am

Post #5 of 29 (2235 views)
Shortcut
     Still can't believe the stuff i'm reading... [In reply to]  

I skimped through some of the posts on reddit and there again i read notions of the CGI being worse than in LOTR. Not the look of the movies or sfx in general but specifically CGI. Their hatred for these movies have clouded their judgement.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 29 2015, 11:45am

Post #6 of 29 (2222 views)
Shortcut
     Old hippie saying... [In reply to]  

"Different strokes for different folks"

I love these movies and have watched them many times. On the other hand, there are some other big, blockbuster movies with huge fan followings that I could barely sit through even once.

Just watch the movies that you enjoy and quit worrying about it.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Noria
Gondor

Mar 29 2015, 11:49am

Post #7 of 29 (2223 views)
Shortcut
     What everyone else said.. [In reply to]  

I loved The Hobbit movies. My family liked or loved these movies. Enough people liked the previous movies that they went to see BOTFA, which made over $900,000.

Nothing is universally loved so of course there are people who don't like TH trilogy. That is their right and their loss.

Jeffrodo
Bree

Mar 29 2015, 12:24pm

Post #8 of 29 (2188 views)
Shortcut
     The Last Goodbye [In reply to]  

Well, you won't be reading my post then but.....

I loved The Hobbit! LOVED. THEM. Not as good as LOTR but that's fine. Great movies.

Go enjoy what you love. That's what I'm doing!

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 29 2015, 12:27pm

Post #9 of 29 (2199 views)
Shortcut
     I think the movies sucked too... [In reply to]  

But I don't go around calling people delusional for enjoying something that I didn't. That post doesn't prove anything. I could reply to it saying "You're wrong The Hobbit is amazing" and link them to these boards, it's not going to change anyone's opinion.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 29 2015, 1:17pm

Post #10 of 29 (2172 views)
Shortcut
     If you have a problem with the films, be more specific and we'll discuss it... [In reply to]  

But if you just want to make a thread to call people wrong and "delusional" then you're not actually contributing to the discussion.

If you wanted to draw attention to this Reddit thread you could have said "Here are some interesting opinions on the use of CG in The Hobbit" or possibly "Was the Hobbit less well-received some of us think?" and we would all happily discuss the subject (which does have merit) and share our opinions and experiences.

I can't agree that a trilogy that took 2,709 people 6 years to make could be considered lazy. It's messy, yes. There were a lot of changes made during production, but what we got was certainly more than a handful of good scenes. If lots of people didn't like it, then fine. But these films have a huge, dedicated fan-base so there must be something to them that these people are not seeing. Both perspectives should be equally respected.

smtfhw
Lorien

Mar 29 2015, 1:53pm

Post #11 of 29 (2128 views)
Shortcut
     Sadly... [In reply to]  

This is not someone you can actually have a discussion with.

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 29 2015, 2:38pm

Post #12 of 29 (2077 views)
Shortcut
     --> Rude comments have been removed from this thread [In reply to]  

If you don't agree with what someone has posted, please just move on, or contact an Admin if you think they've violated the Terms of Service. A rude reply is really uncalled for. It immediately puts your actions beneath the perceived actions of the original poster, *and* violates our Terms of Service. Please remember that people are allowed to dislike the movies, and post that on our forums. They should be met with spirited debate, but never with rudeness. Frankly, anyone who did so in this thread should be ashamed by some of your responses. Unsure

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 29 2015, 2:40pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Mar 29 2015, 3:03pm

Post #13 of 29 (2048 views)
Shortcut
     I believe the Hobbit was well-received... [In reply to]  

Because it was well-received.

tsmith675
Gondor

Mar 29 2015, 3:06pm

Post #14 of 29 (2042 views)
Shortcut
     Also... [In reply to]  

Martin Freeman was the best Bilbo ever. Everything else was either mediocre or horrible. Case closed for me.

Gollum would like to have a word with you.

Skaan
Lorien

Mar 29 2015, 3:17pm

Post #15 of 29 (2036 views)
Shortcut
     Deleted comments [In reply to]  

Sometimes i get the impression that mods here are more eager to delete the "anti-hater" posts just so they can prove they're not being biased.

I certainly don't remember reading any post in this thread that was more rude than the OP calling us all delusional, yet that post is still here but the others are gone..

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 29 2015, 3:31pm

Post #16 of 29 (2026 views)
Shortcut
     That's just it [In reply to]  

He didn't call anyone here delusional. He said he used to think he was delusional (self-deprecating), then said "I think it might be the other way around" (passively stated as his opinion without pointing any fingers). I can see how people who disagree, or who like the movies, might internalize that and *think* he was speaking directly to them, but he wasn't. So, it wasn't against the Terms of Service.

The responses, however, slung insults directly to him personally, which is very much against the Terms of Service. The mods read hundreds of disagreements all the time, by both pro-movie and con-movie members without stepping in. But, there are a few people here who feel compelled to be exceedingly rude to, and/or personally attack, people who don't like the movies and that's NOT okay. If you can point me to anyone who doesn't like the movies who consistently goes around personally attacking people who do, please do and I'll gladly take it up with the other Admins and with them.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 29 2015, 3:33pm)

tattooed_dwarf
Rivendell

Mar 29 2015, 6:30pm

Post #17 of 29 (1878 views)
Shortcut
     Bye [In reply to]  

. This will probably be the last time I post on here.

Good and hopefully you find other movies to enjoy and keep enjoying works of Tolkien.

(This post was edited by tattooed_dwarf on Mar 29 2015, 6:34pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 7:49pm

Post #18 of 29 (1820 views)
Shortcut
     Wholly disagree there was anything LAZY about these films [In reply to]  

Since the OP has left the building, I'm probably talking to the dust motes in his/her wake, but just sayin' as someone who has just spent some time flipping through a lot of DVD frames re BOFA, and AUJ and DOS before that -

Hadn't groused too much about BOFA not being showered with awards because 1)I hadn't even seen some of the films that were considered its "competition" re visual effects, sets, costumes, performances and so on, and 2)that kind of thing can be so subjective and/or political - BUT

Having gone through a lot of BOFA frames and practically wallowing in the BluRay with lots of replay scenes, IMO it's an utter TRAVESTYMadMadMad that BOFA wasn't showered with awards. The Smaug sequence alone and attention to detail is mind-blowing. EVERY FRAMEHeartHeartHeart.

That's not even the rest of BOFA or the exquisite IMO AUJ and DOS. Flipping through frames of BOFA, the fighting is so elaborately choreographed. Every performer is nailing it (whether you "like" them or not) as going through frame by frame, every single performer is on board. I just noticed as Kili goes down the stairs after Fili re the Laketown arrival he's flinching in pain, even tho that's a medium "quick" shot - e.g., all the actors are paying attention and living it.

No, IMO, these films are ANYTHING but "lazy"Shocked. My gawd, how spoiled have we becomeUnsure? Yes, for me, there are things I would change - but it's because I want to spend more time in PJ's Middle Earth, and think BOFA deserves that. As do the beyond-words cast of STELLAR performersHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 8:45pm

Post #19 of 29 (1754 views)
Shortcut
     *mods up* // [In reply to]  

Legomir
Rivendell

Mar 30 2015, 12:19am

Post #20 of 29 (1644 views)
Shortcut
     Geez [In reply to]  

Why have people been so negative recently?

sycorax82
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 12:30am

Post #21 of 29 (1636 views)
Shortcut
     The movies were pretty inconsistent in all areas [In reply to]  

I can definitely understand most of the criticisms of all 3 movies in the trilogy, Bo5A in particular (whether the copy-paste Elves make the EE remains to be seen...).

Though I do not consider them to be a 'cash-in'. So much time and effort was put into these movies and that can clearly be seen onscreen. Peter was obviously enthusiastic about the movies. Everyone was! What I think is they physically couldn't deliver what needed to be delivered in the time they had. Both DoS and Bo5A needed another 6 months post and more reshoots.

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 30 2015, 1:00am

Post #22 of 29 (1620 views)
Shortcut
     I don't mind negative posts, I think it can be good... [In reply to]  

This is a forum for Tolkien fans, not just Hobbit movie fans, so it's understandable that many of us don't like the films, and we should be allowed to express that here. I'm actually surprised there aren't more negative posts considering how unfaithful PJ's adaptation is.

However, when a post is made purely for the purpose of being negative to get a response, without relevance to a discussion or to communicate a specific point then it does seem a little pointless.

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 30 2015, 1:08am

Post #23 of 29 (1611 views)
Shortcut
     They had plenty of time... [In reply to]  

They just didn't use that time wisely. The production was not planned-out well enough. They made too many changes mid-production, which is why I don't like PJ's style. I think he's a great producer, his films always look great and have great moments of real genius. But in terms of getting things together and sticking to the plan, he's probably the messiest director out there. His films are always full of continuity problems and weird plot holes and they never feel fully polished and complete - with the exception, I think, of FotR which I will always consider his masterpiece.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 1:13am

Post #24 of 29 (1618 views)
Shortcut
     Yep... [In reply to]  

These films were garbage!

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 30 2015, 1:27am

Post #25 of 29 (1592 views)
Shortcut
     Haha, I thought the same thing. Gollum was perfect // [In reply to]  

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.