The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Scenes you wish were in LOTR

Bofur's Hat
The Shire

Mar 20 2015, 11:39pm

Post #1 of 23 (3513 views)
Shortcut
Scenes you wish were in LOTR Can't Post

SmileHi all, just wondering if you had any scenes you wished were in LOTR and turned out they weren't.

Personally, I would love a scene just after the ghost army arrives (or maybe before) we see the final charge of the gondorians. The Gandalf giving a brief speech, the troll smashing through theh gate and the Gondor theme blaring as our heroes charge. A scene of Pippin during the siege of Minas Tirith (After Gandalf's death speech) "finding his courage" as Galadriel says in FOTR EE would be an excellent finality to his character arc.

Just curious!

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 21 2015, 4:15am

Post #2 of 23 (3425 views)
Shortcut
Prince Imrahil to the rescue! // [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 9:20am

Post #3 of 23 (3398 views)
Shortcut
The passing of the Grey Company.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have loved to see Halbarad, Elladan and Elrohir, and the Grey Company taking the Paths of the Dead. I can understand why it didn't happen in the film, but I'd still have loved to see it.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2015, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 23 (3346 views)
Shortcut
"And all eyes followed his gaze [In reply to] Can't Post

and behold! upon the foremost ship a great standard broke, and the wind displayed it as she turned towards the Harland. ....Thus came Aragorn son of Arathorn, Elessar, Isildur's heir, out of the paths of the dead ..."

Would have loved to have seen this!

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 21 2015, 5:22pm

Post #5 of 23 (3356 views)
Shortcut
Me too! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 21 2015, 5:24pm

Post #6 of 23 (3345 views)
Shortcut
not sure which Prince Imrahil scene you're referring to [In reply to] Can't Post

for me, it's his arrival.
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the Lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses; and behind them seven hundreds of men at arms, tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.
That always gives me a thrill when I read it or listen to it (on the audio book).

there's also the moment when he returns with the injured Faramir.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Mar 21 2015, 5:41pm

Post #7 of 23 (3349 views)
Shortcut
Pippin's courage [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there are already enough instances of Pippin "finding his courage."

-killing an orc that was attacking Gandalf
-confronting Denethor when he knew Faramir was alive
-confronting the Witch King and the fell beast (even though he ended up backing down)
-jumping onto a burning pyre to save Faramir
-running towards an orc army before the army of men behind him even begins to charge

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 21 2015, 7:26pm

Post #8 of 23 (3337 views)
Shortcut
The Scouring of the Shire [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have liked to see a more book-accurate account of the hobbits' return to the Shire including the original fates for Sharkey and Wormtongue.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 21 2015, 11:21pm

Post #9 of 23 (3305 views)
Shortcut
I think this is the one I miss the most, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it's because it's the part of the story that doesn't have all the other members of the Fellowship around doing great deeds and fulfilling large prophecies; it's about Merry, Pippin, Sam and Frodo taking on leadership in their home community (even if Frodo doesn't stay very long afterward). Their arrival home cements all they've learned while away, as their time away prepared them for the roles they take on at home.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Mar 22 2015, 12:08am

Post #10 of 23 (3300 views)
Shortcut
Mainly it's just little things [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo's leave-taking from Bag End is one. I just love that quiet moment, beginning his journey at night. At that point in the book, he doesn't feel like he's in danger just yet, so it's more the beginning of an adventure, of a new life. It's thrilling in a low-key sort of way.

I also miss Gildor Inglorion and the night at Woody End. It's certainly not that important, and keeping it in could have taken away from the drama of meeting Arwen and then Elrond in the film. But the scene at Woody End was so evocative in the book; it really made an impression on me and I would have liked to have seen it replicated on screen.

You realize that life goes fast
It's hard to make the good things last
You realize the sun doesn't go down
It's just an illusion caused by the world spinning 'round

~Do You Realize?, The Flaming Lips

Farficom
Rivendell

Mar 22 2015, 12:12am

Post #11 of 23 (3290 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would have been great to see the scouring of the shire in full, and then follow that up with scenes of Lobelia, Fatty, etc... being released from the Lockholes. Then the company setting off for the Grey Havens. That ending would have been more satisfying, but what we got isn't so bad either.

Fimbulfambi
The Shire

Mar 24 2015, 9:04am

Post #12 of 23 (3135 views)
Shortcut
Beregond [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a weak spot for the parts in the book when Pippin gets some guidance in Minas Tirith by the guard Beregond and his son.

Farficom
Rivendell

Mar 24 2015, 3:03pm

Post #13 of 23 (3129 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have been interesting to see what they could have done with the story of Beregond and Bergil as the events that took place in Minas Tirith, and elsewhere unfolded. Beregond played a big roll in dealing with Denethor... and getting Farimir to the Houses of Healing thus saving his life. Then Pippin returned the favor by saving him form that pesky troll while fighting along side of Imrahil.

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Mar 29 2015, 12:48am

Post #14 of 23 (3011 views)
Shortcut
Grey Company [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to see the Grey Comlany and the relief of Pelagir. A second choice would be Gimili's defense of the lady Galadriel to Eomer or Faramir getting his quote about not loving the means of war but what they defend, see my signature quote below.

Faramir: “I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.”

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 9:00am

Post #15 of 23 (3002 views)
Shortcut
The Old Forest + In the House of Tom Bombadil + Fog on the Barrow-downs [In reply to] Can't Post

I just would have love to have seen what these would have looked like on screen.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Mar 29 2015, 9:01am)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Mar 29 2015, 9:23am

Post #16 of 23 (2992 views)
Shortcut
Everything, anything about Prince Imrahil [In reply to] Can't Post

an incredible loss to these films, in my opinion.
We have noone among the Gondorians, and he was the one who assumed control of the city during Faramir's illness and recovery.
I could make do with the absence of Elladan and Elrohir, but not of Imrahil.

Faleel
Rohan

Mar 29 2015, 7:42pm

Post #17 of 23 (2969 views)
Shortcut
The winged Nazgul [In reply to] Can't Post

The winged Nazgul over the Great River.

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 12:25am

Post #18 of 23 (2958 views)
Shortcut
You mean the one that Legolas shot in the book? [In reply to] Can't Post

I would gladly trade one or two of his over-the-top movie stunts to see him do that.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Merovech
Bree

Mar 30 2015, 1:13am

Post #19 of 23 (2964 views)
Shortcut
I always felt... [In reply to] Can't Post

That the Grey Company led by Halbarad could have taken the place of Elrond delivering Anduril, bringing the same message and accompanying Aragorn through the Paths of the Dead. Then seeing the Dead aid Aragorn and the Company in relieving Pelargir, afterwards their oaths would be fulfilled and Aragorn arrives at Minas Tirith with Gondorians and his Dúnedain. No waves of spooky ghosts washing over Műmakil and the city walls.

Regarding the battle of Minas Tirith, I would also love to see the leaders of the Fiefdoms arriving, including Prince Imrahil (but with a noted absence of forces from Pelargir). The Prince could have then led a charge through Minas Tirith and out the front gates as Aragorn and his men arrived...

Obviously for this to work Mordor's army as shown in the film would need to be a bit smaller, with the Haradrim fielding some fewer Műmakil. Might also need an even longer running time, but at least then we'd see a more fleshed-out Gondor.

(This post was edited by Merovech on Mar 30 2015, 1:20am)

moreorless
Gondor

Mar 30 2015, 9:34am

Post #20 of 23 (2940 views)
Shortcut
I think FOTR would have had to be cut into two films... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I just would have love to have seen what these would have looked like on screen.

I would agree that the Old Forrest and the Barrows both had potential to be very cinematic/atmospheric. Indeed I think that Mirkwood in DOS was actually as much drawn from the Old Forrest as it was the book, the High Fells had a bit of a Barrow light atmosphere as well for me.

The problem really is that to include that whole section in FOTR would have been very difficult. I think it could have been done despite being a bit of a side-track from the Nazgul chase but only if FOTR had been spilt into two films IMHO. Not just for the extra runtime those scenes would need but because I think you can only interrupt the Nazgul chase if you give the first half of it in the Shire more time and a conclusion. That is make the chase in the Shire more of a complete section with building tension and then an escape rather than more of a setup for Bree and afterwards.

Faleel
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 4:10pm

Post #21 of 23 (2904 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes.

I think it would give Mordor and Sauron bit more of a presence in that section of story.

moreorless
Gondor

Apr 1 2015, 6:20pm

Post #22 of 23 (2858 views)
Shortcut
Arguebly reused at the end of TTT [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The winged Nazgul over the Great River.

I would guess that a lot of the inspiration for the scene with Faramir shooting the Nazgul at the end of TTT was Legolas shooting down the fell beast in the book.

The real problem I see though is that in the film Lurtz and co are much more hyped up as the coming threat that risks being distracted from by any reappearance of the Nazgul.

Tolkien of course is hinting at the Nazgul's return well before this section as well which I think the film would need to do as well.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 7 2015, 4:24am

Post #23 of 23 (1845 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

would have much preferred that to the pile of skulls scene.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.