The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How about that WHOLE Ravenhill Fight..?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Eruonen
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 1:40pm

Post #26 of 35 (821 views)
Shortcut
Good point, having Raven Hill as an elevated part of the major battle would have been great. [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 31 2015, 2:37pm

Post #27 of 35 (813 views)
Shortcut
Ravenhill kinda was surrounded by the main battle. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It is one of the absolute lowpoints of this trilogy for me.

For me, it wasn't a good alternative to having the battle on the slopes of the mountain.

Ravenhill as a location was okay - but imho the issue was having it so isolated from everything else.

Now a Ravenhill surrounded by the big battle... that would have been something.

The height of the prominence and fortress made it hard to see this, but the Ravenhill of the movie was essentially in the middle of the battle. Thorin's map shows Ravenhill where Tolkien placed it, near the end of the spur of the Mountain west of Dale, hours away from either the ruins of Dale or the Front Gate of Erebor. Thranduil's map, which can be glimpsed in the camp and is reproduced in The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies Visual Companion gives the movie-location for Ravenhill; between Dale and the Front Gate, just west of the river. The original location was too far away to make it useful in the film.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 2:47pm

Post #28 of 35 (807 views)
Shortcut
Technically, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I mean a real visual connection, the action on the hill directly connected to the battle around it etc.

Like single scenes on the Pelennor that were still surrounded by the main action.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 31 2015, 2:50pm

Post #29 of 35 (804 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

The problem is that the height of the fortress automatically sets it apart from the larger battle. However, this is also why it was a good place to set up a command post and the batttle-flags.

"At the end of the journey, all men think that their youth was Arcadia..." - Phantom F. Harlock

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 2:53pm

Post #30 of 35 (803 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

However, in a more connected version the area simply would have needed to be set up differently.

For what the filmmakers wanted to do the design works perfectly of course.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Imladris18
Lorien

Mar 31 2015, 3:04pm

Post #31 of 35 (800 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't call it a "low point," but I would've liked to have seen Ravenhill as more a part of the battle as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

The way everything got very quiet and 'eerie' was somewhat off putting when there is supposed to be a giant battle with 4-5 armies going on very close.

The disconnect between Ravenhill and the battle, clearly meant to build tension for the main characters involved, didn't completely work for me "/

Avandel
Half-elven

Mar 31 2015, 4:13pm

Post #32 of 35 (782 views)
Shortcut
IMO this is interesting - for folks to consider from a film-making standpoint? [In reply to] Can't Post

The way everything got very quiet and 'eerie' was somewhat off putting when there is supposed to be a giant battle with 4-5 armies going on very close.

The disconnect between Ravenhill and the battle, clearly meant to build tension for the main characters involved, didn't completely work for me "/

I think we know what PJ was trying to do - outside of main character focus - as he has mentioned something to the effect of learning to only have 2? 3? wide battle shots before needing to focus in again, or the audience gets bored.

I don't have much of an opinion on this yet, as the thread triggered thinking about it - e.g., if you wanted to connect battle scenes that are ongoing (say, with the rest of the dwarves, or whatever Thranduil was doing) how could that be "threaded" so it wasn't just an annoying jumble of random fight scenes?

Like, one scene that really annoys me is Thorin and Azog have started fighting, then there is this blip of Legolas calling for TaurielUnimpressed, and then back to the fight. For me that's an unwanted jog, right in the middle of a scene that is building and building.

Just something to ponder, as I really would have liked to have seen the dwarves in action more - and maybe these "flow of scenes" questions are things PJ faced - he would have had to. One thing, I can't say I ever didn't know what was going on re the battles and fights, which even the critics seem to praise PJ for, that everything didn't become a confused mess.

(This post was edited by Avandel on Mar 31 2015, 4:14pm)

Imladris18
Lorien

Mar 31 2015, 5:20pm

Post #33 of 35 (770 views)
Shortcut
I feel like for this battle, each army almost became an extension of our named heroes, so the 3 shot rule would almost not apply. [In reply to] Can't Post

And both the heroes (Thranduil, Dain, Bard) and their respective armies (elves, dwarves, men) are completely afterthoughts once Ravenhill hits. Then once the eagles/Radagast/Beorn show up, they really got pushed to the background in a hurry.

I'm sure it would've been difficult to do, especially the way PJ works, but I would've liked to have seen better interweaving of the meta battle and the Ravenhill standoffs.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 31 2015, 8:19pm

Post #34 of 35 (748 views)
Shortcut
Eh [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have that many issues with the location itself. It's cool in it's own way, but I too would have prefered it to be a part of the battle itself.

My problem with Ravenhill is how things happen.
- The strong involvement of Legolas and Tauriel
- Kili's cheesy death scene
- Fili being forgotten while both Thorin and Kili get's moments after they die. It just rubs me so wrong. That's downright ignoring Fili and it really ruins everything for me.
- "Because it was real" yeah thanks for ruining Thranduil for me with the worst line ever.
- It being trap after trap is so obvious it's hard to take Thorin seriously - a supposedly experienced warrior not figuring that out sooner. It's absurd.
- Dwalin is forgotten as well. Thanks for nothing.
- Hi Beorn. Bye Beorn.

I did enjoy Thorin & Azog's fight though.

The movie did good up to Ravenhill. Everything just looses sense there.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 1 2015, 11:40am

Post #35 of 35 (715 views)
Shortcut
Great Points all around! [In reply to] Can't Post

One Aspect of this is
..the "Mythic" quality..?

Putting them in an Isolated Fantasy Environment
adds to the Final Focus
that this ISzz Personal
between
Thorin/Azog
Legolas/Blog

Having them Duke it out?..
down below would have much
Interference from the many others.

Extraneous ORCS would gotten involved
Extraneous Dwarves would have gotten involved...

Not good in
bom's opinion.

The Mystic of this Mythic, Fantasy FIGHT
would have been Lost.

"Every good story needs
Embellishment"

This may have been how Bilbo saw it...
& THEN wrote about it.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.