The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien spans generations...in sometimes hilarious ways

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 29 2015, 5:38am

Post #1 of 6 (938 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien spans generations...in sometimes hilarious ways Can't Post

My five year old loves The Hobbit movies as much as I do (I haven't yet done LOTR with her- a. We've been absorbed with TH for a while, and b. I think she's only just now getting old enough for the mature themes of the LOTR EE's, as I don't have the TE's).

While cleaning out our shed, my husband stumbled upon a Sideshow collectibles Aragorn doll that he managed to snag somewhere for five dollars, and he brought it in the house (I think he got it for me at another house, and it ended up in our shed when we moved). So I put it together, and set it on our desk (and of course I HAD to "test" the bow's range first....rather impressive for such a tiny thing, I might add Angelic). My girls (ages 5 and 2) "helped" me put it together (which is code for "making general enthusiastic nuisances of themselves" while I put it together Wink).

When my husband came home, my eldest took him by the hand (followed by her sister) and they dragged him into our room and pointed up at the figurine.

"Daddy, look! It's Oregon!"

He replied, "Erm, sweetie....it's Aragorn, not Oregon." Sly

How have you shared Tolkien with the younger generations?

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Mar 29 2015, 5:39am)

demnation
Rohan

Mar 29 2015, 5:53am

Post #2 of 6 (908 views)
Shortcut
My little brother suddenly got into The Hobbit recently [In reply to] Can't Post

after years of ignoring it. Maybe 7 is about the age when it's magic is made apparent? Anyway, I was a little surprised at first but I've very much enjoyed sharing it with him and I've made it a mission to read an illustrated version of the book to him and his older sister!

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2015, 6:01am

Post #3 of 6 (912 views)
Shortcut
Not quite. But I had a generation spanning moment when I was the young generation... [In reply to] Can't Post

...though some would stay I still am - so we'll say I was younger. Wink Seventeen to be exact.

It was the latter half of 2001. I had just recently finished reading The Lord of the Rings all the way through for the first time (I had devoted much of the year to it - Fellowship took quite a few months, TTT a couple weeks, and RotK only 3 days). Anticipation for the first film was ramping up and I had taken to reading the trilogy a second time. This time I was carrying about a big one volume edition with the picture of the Ringwraith silhouetted against the blue sky at night.

It came to be that I was working one night at the news station (I ran teleprompter at the time, at the local FOX affiliate). In between segments, I would pick up the book and read what I could before the newscast started back up. On that particular night, one of my coworkers (I can't remember if it was one of the production staff or the on-air talent) had an older family member, probably a grandparent, visiting the station and watching the newscast from the studio. He sat next to me near the teleprompter.

During one of the breaks, I must have been busy doing something else on the computer, because the book was sitting out on the table. I finished what I was doing and was just sitting there waiting for the show to come back on. Everybody else was going about some other task, busy preparing to go back on the air. Then, suddenly, the older gentleman turned to me, then glanced at the book.

He smiled, and then reached out hand and lightly tapped on the front cover and said softly "That is a very special book."

I smiled back at him and nodded in agreement. There was a feeling that nothing more needed to be said. We both turned our attention back to the news desk and I prepared to get back to work.

I have never forgotten this encounter, and hold it as one of my most treasured memories. It makes me glad that I was introduced to Tolkien before the films came out. Because I think there was a certain kinship among those of us who shared this almost secret love of Middle-earth before the popularity of the films broke out. It was, in many ways, like we belonged to a secret society (indeed, an encounter like this felt like a "secret handshake").

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 29 2015, 6:04am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 29 2015, 6:08am

Post #4 of 6 (913 views)
Shortcut
I'm reading it with my nephew and niece. [In reply to] Can't Post

Slowly, because we don't live all that close so there is a long gap between chapters. We've only made it as far as Beorn's house. But they like it and keep asking me to read more, even though we have to do a story recap every time. I'm reading to them from The Annotated Hobbit, and they make a point of studying all the pictures minutely.

My 6-year-old niece has taken to whispering "My Precious" at random moments (imitating me, sadly I do not do a good Andy Serkis impression), and the last pillow fort my nephew built was guarded by two dragon puppets (his green one I gave him two Christmases ago and my red one) with LED votive candles in their mouths to simulate flame.

They haven't watched any of the movies yet, though I think they've seen some parts. When we're done with the book we may watch them, provided we have permission from the parents (my main concern is the number of beheadings).

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 4:39pm

Post #5 of 6 (864 views)
Shortcut
Oregon, Neighbor of Idaho, King of the West! ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

That is priceless. I love those wonderful word-misunderstandings kids have. (My daughter at about that age recommended that we put "biscuits" in the "empyuner" meaning "discs in the computer."Cool)

My son saw the movies at 14, loved them, and read the books twice as a result, and went on to lovingly write a long, complicated "Bored of the Rings" spoof. Not because he didn't like Tolkien, but because he did (and does).

My daughter is not a fantasy fan, but loved the Hobbit (book) in late grade school, and thinks the LOTR movies are tremendous. She couldn't get into the books, though, although she gave it a good try.

So, some success.Smile

My niece and nephew are not yet 2 years old, but I expect I can attempt some indoctrination in the future.Sly

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Apr 1 2015, 4:15pm

Post #6 of 6 (752 views)
Shortcut
Oregon, son of Arizona... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sly

Don't have any immediate family kids who have gotten into LOTR and Hobbit. Do have one neighbor kid who is five and no doubt will be introduced to it.

One of the showings of one of the LOTR films had a dad and two very young daughters sitting in the front row, Dad leaning over and explaining things quietly throughout. They seemed awfully young to me for a PG-13 film (like, barely first grade) but the fact that Dad was interpreting made it magical. They wil either grow up with a great love of all things Tolkien, or a dread fear of orcs...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.