The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit Trilogy's Cinematography

Erethen
The Shire

Mar 29 2015, 5:19am

Post #1 of 7 (1366 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit Trilogy's Cinematography Can't Post

For the most part, I found the Trilogy's cinematography breathtaking. I really loved it. So, I'd like to ask you all to rank the film's based on their cinematography, and list which scene you really loved the look of the most. Also, on your least favorite, explain why you didn't care for the cinematography. Thanks! I look forward to the responses.
Here's mine:

1.) AUJ- Any of the Rivendell scenes. Really beautiul stuff.
2.) DOS- Mirkwood sequence. The ever changing color grade of the scene added a lot to the claustrophobic feel of the scene.
3.) BOTFA- Favorite scene would have to be the scenes outside of Erebor right before the battle begins. LOVE the look here. LEAST favorite cinematography wise due to that strange glow/bloom effect that is very prominent in some scenes. Most so to me during the refugee scene on the edge of the lake

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 6:31am

Post #2 of 7 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Bom does not really care to JUDGE [In reply to] Can't Post

Until the EE comes out..since much has improved in
the New DVD.

MOST likely with all the Time
that has PJ has until October to Finally "PUT it in the CAN"
do NOT be too surprised
@ all the Embellishments
they are STILL cooking up in Miramar.

His Final episode just might be
YOUR New favorite of all time...
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 29 2015, 12:55pm

Post #3 of 7 (1205 views)
Shortcut
The cinematography was pretty unique... [In reply to] Can't Post

In lighting we usually use a back-light or "rim-light" to create a halo of light around a subject. This halo works like an outline, to emphasise the shape of the subject, so that it doesn't blend into the background - effectively pulling it forward in the image and creating a sense of space between the subject and the background.

There are many examples, particularly in AUJ, where they've not done this. I wondered why until I saw it in 3D and realised, when you're shooting in 3D there's no reason to pull your subject away from the background because the 3D does that for you. In the later films they use the traditional technique more often, I remember Bard has a striking halo when confronting Thorin. It's not necessary for 3D, but you need it for 2D because the whole image starts to blend into itself. An interesting experiment, anyway - and one reason why I prefer these films in 3D.

Some of the colour choices were a bit odd. The scene after Bilbo sees Beorn ("There's something else out there") everything is strangely purple and glowing, which I don't like. And I don't care for the unnecessary CG backgrounds because they feel claustrophobic, like it's shot on a set (because it is) and the sky is just a wall. While that's not directly a cinematography issue it does have a big negative impact on the quality of the image.

The best scenes were the real locations and anytime they were supposed to be inside - Beorn's house, Bag End etc.

Mirkwood worked really well and is one of my favourite parts.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 3:16pm

Post #4 of 7 (1151 views)
Shortcut
Years ago Bomby got a copy of "American Cinematography" ... [In reply to] Can't Post

The Title on the Cover was.."Lessons learned from the LOTR"

likely that magazine is on-line now.
likely there are articles similiar about Lessons learned from the Hobbit
likely your information could become complete by studying this..

Likely Andrew Lesnie & crew have jumped even More Light-Years
since the growth is exponential..?

The Influence he has in this Industry has been rewarded with an Oscer
but more importantly for him, is the Awards Earned from his
peers for years.

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 3:22pm

Post #5 of 7 (1142 views)
Shortcut
Here is the Link.. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/March2015/current.php

From there you can read much.

www.charlie-art.biz

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 2:35pm

Post #6 of 7 (948 views)
Shortcut
Smaug, for the most part [In reply to] Can't Post

In AUJ, I was pretty blown away by the on location shots - the waterfall they walked under after Rivendell, and the fjords the eagles flew over. I think those are in a separate category.

The first time you see Laketown in DOS is a really good shot, I imagine some of that is CGI, but even that is NOTHING compared to Smaug coming up out of the gold coins, and that glorious shot where he stands in front of Bilbo and says "And do you NOW!" Needless to say, the scene in BOT5A where he's strafing Laketown, flying over Bard's head and blasting with the flames, I mean WOW! That whole 10 minute scene is worth the cost of admission in the Theaters, IMO!

Unfortunately, BOT5A also suffers from some of the worst CGI in the trilogy. I LOVE the scene where the Iron Hills Dwarves line up their shields, and whatever that thing Dain is riding on does look very much like a huge pig! But then they ruin the shot with the Elves leaping over the shields. Although the colors are beautiful, the elves are just a bunch of identical clones and it's almost like watching a GIF. And lately I've been really bothered by the elk head CGI'd on Thranduil's horse - the skin tones don't even match! But these are relatively minor quibbles in what I've decided is a really fine movie. Someday I may not even hate Alfrid so muchFrown

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Mar 31 2015, 12:37pm

Post #7 of 7 (800 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The cinematography is one of the reasons I can watch these movies repeatedly, they are just so stunning visually. I don't know if I could narrow it down to any favorites since that would be pretty much every frame in the movies, but a couple of scenes that I really love that I haven't heard mentioned very much in terms of photography were indoor scenes - the way Bag End in AUJ just exuded warmth and closeness and golden candlelight when the dwarves were there, and then switched over to that cool morning light and empty rooms and bare floor space the next morning. Also, the Master's study in Laketown had the most wonderful winter light pouring in through those tall windows, it was beautiful to look at and also did a great job of making the room feel cold and probably a bit damp.

If there hasn't been one already, maybe it's time for an Andrew Lesnie appreciation thread! Smile

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.