The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Is anyone else.....

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Mar 28 2015, 4:44pm

Post #1 of 9 (1561 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone else..... Can't Post

.....getting sick and tired of all the emphasis and focus being placed on Fili and Kili? Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like it at all. Fili and Kili are part of the company of Thorin Oakenshield. The rest of the dwarves should be getting just as much focus in my opinion. Why aren't people obsessing over everything that Bifur or Nori or Gloin do in the movies? One of my favorite things about The Hobbit book is the camaraderie of the company and the way they work together as a unit. I don't get that sense in films 2 and 3, and I definitely don't get that impression when I come on these boards or when I look on Pinterest for Tolkien-related things. I just wish the emphasis was on Thorin and Company and not Thorin, Fili, Kili, and These Ten Other Guys.

Okay, rant over :)

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

"Do you wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Thorin and Company at your service!"

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid."

"I come from under the hill, and under hills and over hills my path has led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen."

"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock from my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"If more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world."

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Mar 28 2015, 5:32pm

Post #2 of 9 (1478 views)
Shortcut
But Thorin, Fili and Kili are the potential kings of Erebor. [In reply to] Can't Post

So it makes sense that they're considered more important, they represent the future of Erebor. After them it's Dain who is next in line and then probably Balin or Dwalin. Everyone else is just along for the ride or after their share.

So Thorin is most important, then Fili and Kili (Dain isn't in the company) then Balin and Dwalin. Their importance is equal to the amount of screen-time they get IMO. Bofur being a strange exception to that. And Dain being an understandable exception.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Mar 28 2015, 5:35pm)

marary
Lorien

Mar 28 2015, 6:10pm

Post #3 of 9 (1457 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Those heirs of Durin are mighty fine to look at.

2) There is something rather compelling and adorable about the family dynamic. Also, playing up Thorin's relationship with his nephews does a great deal to soften his character.

3) With 13 dwarves, you kinda have to focus on only a few for the audience to connect with. I thought it was actually a good move to have some dwarves be more "major" (also including Bofur, Balin and Dwalin, after the royal 3.)

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Mar 28 2015, 7:30pm

Post #4 of 9 (1413 views)
Shortcut
Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd say Fili didn't get enough attention in the movies.

He is a wizard, you know!
The Shire

Mar 28 2015, 8:05pm

Post #5 of 9 (1392 views)
Shortcut
The reasons you all gave certainly make sense.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just wish those were the reasons that people seem to be giving for their love of those characters. Mostly, from what I've seen, it's because they're good-looking or involved in a love story with an Elf. I guess I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who loved all the dwarves in the company from the book. I also would've liked to have seen as much time devoted to the dwarves on screen as was devoted to them behind the scenes.

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit."

"Do you wish me a good morning, or do you mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not, or that you feel good this morning, or that it is a morning to be good on?"

"Thorin and Company at your service!"

"Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole."

"A box without hinges, key, or lid / Yet golden treasure inside is hid."

"I come from under the hill, and under hills and over hills my path has led. And through the air. I am he that walks unseen."

"My armor is like tenfold shields, my teeth are like swords, my claws spears, the shock from my tail a thunderbolt, my wings a hurricane, and my breath death!"

"If more of us valued your ways - food and cheer above hoarded gold - it would be a merrier world."

"You're a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I'm very fond of you, but you're only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all."

Never_Underestimate_A_Dwarf
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 8:45pm

Post #6 of 9 (1376 views)
Shortcut
Would never get sick of them [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili is barely in these movies. Balin and Dwalin get much more focus than he does. And also Bofur (at least in AUJ and DOS).

Of course they would have more emphasis than some of the others - they die, so we're supposed to get attached to them. It makes for a more emotional story.

But yeah, I wish there was more screentime for the other dwarves too.

Fimbulfambi
The Shire

Mar 29 2015, 8:45pm

Post #7 of 9 (1131 views)
Shortcut
quality screentime [In reply to] Can't Post

I both would have liked more screentime for all the dwarves in the films, though I can understand why Kili and Fili gets some more. It should however be more clear for the watcher that they are heirs to the throne and how important they are for the company as well in that sense. I think that was kind of lost, which is a pity. Because the loss of Fili was no way near as emotional as it should have been - just because there were so few moments to get close to the character!

The rest of the dwarves just needed more screentime over all, or more dialouge at least in BOTFA.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 2:25pm

Post #8 of 9 (1025 views)
Shortcut
Well, I wouldn't say "sick of", but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that half of the Dwarves got short-changed in the scenes & lines dept. Bofur & Bombur got some good moments in the first two movies, but even they disappeared in BOT5A. I blame it on that 144 minute runtime, too much had to be sacrificed and yeah, too much time was wasted on Alfrid. BUT I'm equally unhappy that the funeral scene was cut, sorry but Dale blowing horns just didn't make up for that. Having said all that, I must state that I still think BOT5A was a really great movie - could have been better but you could say that about anything.Cool

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Fimbulfambi
The Shire

Mar 30 2015, 3:31pm

Post #9 of 9 (1013 views)
Shortcut
I agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

...with what Kilidoescartwheels writes here. Except I don't think BOTFA still was a great movie.

I found it to be a decent, action packed fantasy film. I don't dislike it, but I found it hugegly dissapointing because it is in the company of truly great (LOTR) and good (AUJ + majority of DOS) films. Holding my thumbs for improvement for the EE! :)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.