The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Favorite new theme.

Smaug the iron
Gondor

Mar 28 2015, 4:01pm

Post #1 of 12 (1360 views)
Shortcut
Favorite new theme. Can't Post

What is your favorite theme in AUJ, DOS AND BOTFA.

Mine:
Auj, The Misty Mountains Cold.
DOS, Feast of Starlight.
BOTFA, Bardīs family theme.

Bofur01
Lorien

Mar 28 2015, 4:03pm

Post #2 of 12 (1311 views)
Shortcut
So hard to choose! [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ: Misty Mountains
DoS: Woodland Realm
BotFA: Dain

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 28 2015, 5:07pm

Post #3 of 12 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Hard to choose, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ - eagles
DoS - The one you hear in Feast of Starlight - I think it's Kili-Tauriel. Favourite track Beyond the Forest, closely followed by Laketown
BotFA - this is cheating, because it's a track on the soundtrack rather than a theme, but Ironfoot intrigues me because apart from the lovely opening with pipes (Dain's theme?) you hear little snatches of Laketown and something very elvish.

Bofur01
Lorien

Mar 28 2015, 6:20pm

Post #4 of 12 (1248 views)
Shortcut
The bit at the end of Ironfoot [In reply to] Can't Post

is a choral version of the Lake Town theme, listen to the tune ;)

And yes, that is Dain's theme at the start of Ironfoot, and it's also in Battle for the Mountain, and The Clouds Burst, FYI :)

AshNazg
Gondor

Mar 30 2015, 1:37am

Post #5 of 12 (1065 views)
Shortcut
I love the choral part at the start of Radagast's theme // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 30 2015, 3:41am

Post #6 of 12 (1058 views)
Shortcut
Honestly, Smaug's Theme... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's deceptively simple, seductive and mesmerizing.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 30 2015, 3:42am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Mar 30 2015, 2:17pm

Post #7 of 12 (1017 views)
Shortcut
BOT5A music [In reply to] Can't Post

I may actually get this soundtrack. In AUJ the "Misty Mountains" dominated so much, but you get occasional Thorin's theme here and there. In DOS I always called it the "Laketown Theme," though I think the proper title is "Protector of the Common Folk." I also like "On the Doorstep."

But in BOT5A there's a piece of music that plays while the men of Laketown and the Dwarves are preparing for battle, it's essentially that Laketown theme and the Erebor theme played in succession, and they fit together so well it's perfect! And the music played in the opening, I think it's Smaug's theme played in a higher arrangement that makes it sound so threatening, then I guess Bard's theme comes in, that's really nice too. All in all I think it was really well done, and I really don't buy movie soundtracks very often. When I do it's usually something like "Guardians of the Galaxy" type soundtracks, not the background orchestral stuff. Which is too bad, because some of that orchestral stuff is really nice.

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

KingTurgon
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 9:22pm

Post #8 of 12 (956 views)
Shortcut
Here's mine [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ: The Necromancer's theme
DOS: Smaug's theme
BOFA: Dain's theme

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 12:21pm

Post #9 of 12 (889 views)
Shortcut
Same as yours :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Though Thrice Welcome is a close second for DoS.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

marary
Lorien

Mar 31 2015, 12:35pm

Post #10 of 12 (887 views)
Shortcut
I know which moment you speak of! [In reply to] Can't Post

But in BOT5A there's a piece of music that plays while the men of Laketown and the Dwarves are preparing for battle, it's essentially that Laketown theme and the Erebor theme played in succession, and they fit together so well it's perfect!

The transition is one of my favorite moments in all of the soundtrack/films/whatever. Both themes are grand and more than a bit haunting and they work GREAT together. The Laketown theme (or whatever its called) sounds like WINTER to me.

The Erebor theme... ah, it is exactly as Tolkien described dwarf music, isn't it? Haunting and longing and calling you somewhere far away.

Smaug's theme makes me smile- makes me think of old-school horror movies for some reason.

Tauriel's theme is rather lovely. Very kinetic for the action sequences, but also gets a gorgeous little rendition in the feast of starlight scene. And it feeds in perfectly to the general Mirkwood theme.

(This post was edited by marary on Mar 31 2015, 12:39pm)

Skaan
Lorien

Mar 31 2015, 12:57pm

Post #11 of 12 (876 views)
Shortcut
Hard to choose [In reply to] Can't Post

Both of Smaug's themes are an obvious choice for me (they especially sound great in "A Liar and a Thief" and "My Armor is Iron").

But one theme that i was immediatly a fan of the first time i heard it, is this one. I'm not sure what the theme is called, though. I think it's one of Tauriel's various themes? It sounds so simple and short, but everytime i hear one of the variations of this theme it always fully captures my attention. Especially the choral version at the end of "Beyond the Forest" is just superb.

Elessar
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 4:15pm

Post #12 of 12 (853 views)
Shortcut
I like those as well [In reply to] Can't Post

The Lake Town Theme when we first see Lake Town is pretty cool. Misty Mountains may be my new fave from these films

(This post was edited by Elessar on Mar 31 2015, 4:19pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.