The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Dreaming of Bag End

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 28 2015, 2:48am

Post #1 of 9 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Dreaming of Bag End Can't Post

I don't know if this has been asked before, but where in the Hobbit was "Dreaming of Bag End" supposed to have been placed? It's a beautiful track and I don't think it's featured in any of the Hobbit films.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Mar 28 2015, 2:55am

Post #2 of 9 (1199 views)
Shortcut
credits [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have to double check, but I think it just plays during the credits.

They seemed to have something against actually using some of the best tracks in the movies themselves.

(This post was edited by Mooseboy018 on Mar 28 2015, 2:55am)

Annatar598
Rohan

Mar 28 2015, 3:01am

Post #3 of 9 (1193 views)
Shortcut
It's used in AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

When Bilbo catches up to the company on the borders of the shire.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Goldeneye
Lorien

Mar 28 2015, 4:09am

Post #4 of 9 (1155 views)
Shortcut
ah [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right, there is a slightly different version of it that plays when they're leaving the Shire. Thanks!

jtarkey
Rohan

Mar 28 2015, 11:54am

Post #5 of 9 (1037 views)
Shortcut
"Erebor" is one of the biggest offenders [In reply to] Can't Post

A great, hummable and triumphant, theme that not only demonstrates the Celtic influence of dwarvish culture, but uses awesome bagpipes.

Actually, aside from durins theme, the lonely mountain theme, and lake town. Why was all the music forgettable? And please don't say it was just more "subtle". Nope. It was lacking. And for no apparent reason since shore obviously had great themes at his disposal.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

Pandallo
Rivendell

Mar 28 2015, 12:48pm

Post #6 of 9 (1005 views)
Shortcut
In anticipation... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of Battle of the Five Armies on Blu-Ray I rewatched the other movies and was surprised how much I was humming along with the various tunes. At first I thought they were lackluster, yes, but if I could find myself humming the tunes before they start and as they play, it shows they have some staying power. The best in my opinion (aside from what you listed) are...

Rivendell (a legacy piece, but it stills work well to its purpose.) , Stone Giant battle, Goblin Town songs, Gandalf's Theme (which I can't find by name on the OST. I thought it was called Olorin, but i must have made that up) is some of my favorite music from The Hobbit and the entire franchise. (which as far as I'm aware he did not have a theme in LotR. at least not a memorable one) The Flight of the Eagles,.

Mirkwood, Spiders and Flies, the opening sting of the Desolation of Smaug's title card has some really powerful thematic setup. Woodland Realm, Feast of Starlight, Smaug's Theme, That short, but one of my favorite throughout the franchise when Thorin decides its times to send Bilbo in to find the Arkenstone, probably one of my favorite because of its extremely adventurous tone. Tauriel's Theme.

Battle of the Five Armies has a beautiful orchestral setup for Smaug's Attack on Laketown with a rather chilling and overall, quite enchanted sounding music before he lets loose his attack. Also the music that plays while Bard sets up the Black Arrow. Ruins of Dale (though that is a reprise of the Laketown theme), Mithril, which Is my favorite song from the entire franchise, despite my preference lying within just the first 20 seconds and it's thematic similarity to its FotR counterpart. It's an unforgettable piece) and the ending themes from leaving Erebor and back to the Shire are just perfect, in my opinion.

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 28 2015, 1:36pm

Post #7 of 9 (987 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The eagles theme for a start is beautiful and instantly recognisable. And memorable. As are Tauriel's theme and the Kili-Tauriel theme. And Smaug's. And if even I can recognise these and put names to them then forgettable is one thing they certainly are not. I'm not good with music. It takes me a long time to recognise and put names to the themes. With some I never get beyond -'that sounds familiar' - and I'm ashamed to confess that I didn't even realise there were themes in the LotR music associated with particular characters and peoples. I just knew it was lovely music. As is the Hobbit music. It's beautiful, emotional, exciting when it needs to be, and it takes its place alongside LotR as the only film music I've ever felt moved to play in its own right.

sycorax82
Rohan

Mar 30 2015, 12:15am

Post #8 of 9 (778 views)
Shortcut
I was so convinced that 'Erebor' was going to end up as Dain's theme... [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially with the Celtic sounds! Though they completely botched Dain so I guess leaving that theme as a bonus track was for the best...

We can guess HS wrote 'Erebor' as an alternative to the more simple Erebor and Thorin themes that got used instead.

One of my friend's is convinced that most of the Hobbit score must be Howard's Kong score re-purposed. I don't know why she thinks that... She calls Smaug's theme 'Kong's theme' xD

Arannir
Valinor

Mar 31 2015, 12:23pm

Post #9 of 9 (654 views)
Shortcut
Yeah.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that Erebor does not have a more outstanding theme is one of the big flaws of TH's music.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Mar 31 2015, 12:23pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.