The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A Tornibirthdaversary Mathom

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 27 2015, 6:08pm

Post #1 of 16 (1546 views)
Shortcut
A Tornibirthdaversary Mathom Can't Post

March being the month of both my TORniversary and my birthday, I feel the need to give a little something before March blows away. I wanted to finish a piece of fiction I started last year, but I haven't been able to devote enough creativity to the project. Instead, I've been inspired by The Grey Elf's writing poll to share some musings I've had.

I spend a lot of time on issues of human agency - how we as individuals in communities interact with each other and our environment, physical and social. One of my interests in the area is examining the ways we are more bound by physical parameters than we may like to think. The idea that reality is entirely, or even mostly, socially constructed is one that makes no sense to me.

What does that have to do with a poll on writing, or with TORn? A lot, it turns out. As I wrote in my reply to the poll, I find it harder to maintain the geography of my thoughts when working on the computer screen than on paper - the tactile and spatial experience in writing helps me craft my thoughts. I can compose on the computer, I just find that the editing process takes me longer and involves a lot more back-and-forth than working on paper. Probably one of the reasons I don't post here as often or as in-depth as I might wish to.

Yet there is no denying that more and more human interaction is happening online these days. I've been contemplating starting a blog myself (yes, about ten to fifteen years behind the curve - I'm a late adopter), so I've been thinking even more about the ways we connect with each other online.

There's something to the fact that we speak of the 'virtual' when dealing with things on the computer - as if there's some Platonic disconnect about it, as compared to the things we do in 'reality'. Studies show that we navigate through complex information better when we read it in a book than online (Scientific American article), and that we maintain budgets better when dealing with physical money or a ledger that we keep up-to-date (Time article). It's as if we humans don't yet have the ability to fully recognize the real-world consequences of our 'virtual' actions. In some way, those actions are not 'real' to us. Which might explain the trouble social media can cause us when we don't make the conscious effort to bridge the cognitive gap between 'virtual' and 'real'.

That's why TORn stands out to me, as a community that is conscientious about making and maintaining that cognitive bridge. From the dedicated Moderators and Message Board members who actively work to maintain cordial discussion and respect for difference; to the fact that we take seriously Tolkien's values for life, livelihood, striving for what is good to the best of one's ability and knowledge, and so on; and all points in between, this 'virtual' community behaves like - is - a real community. I don't think we're the only such community around, but we're definitely a strong one, and the world needs communities like ours, celebrating our common interests and different perspectives. It isn't easy, and maybe we wonder what role TORn has now that the movies are starting to wind down. I would just say that, unlike the Fellowship, TORn's purpose goes beyond a particular finite goal, and I'm looking forward to the adventures that lie ahead of us as we continue to navigate this relatively new (in the scope of human experience) gathering space.

Thank you all for being such excellent companions along the Road!

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 27 2015, 7:18pm

Post #2 of 16 (1493 views)
Shortcut
Very well thought out post [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

There's something to the fact that we speak of the 'virtual' when dealing with things on the computer - as if there's some Platonic disconnect about it, as compared to the things we do in 'reality'. Studies show that we navigate through complex information better when we read it in a book than online (Scientific American article), and that we maintain budgets better when dealing with physical money or a ledger that we keep up-to-date (Time article). It's as if we humans don't yet have the ability to fully recognize the real-world consequences of our 'virtual' actions. In some way, those actions are not 'real' to us. Which might explain the trouble social media can cause us when we don't make the conscious effort to bridge the cognitive gap between 'virtual' and 'real'.

I have the same questions myself, being part of this online community. How the virtual interaction can differ and lose touch with humanity somehow. I suppose that could explain the batch of behaviors we consider 'trolling'. Maybe people feeling out of touch enough to say things they might not in person. I agree that this seems a relative haven among sites. I don't post anywhere else but I read other places and there is always the seeming same proportion of randomly venting, perpetually angry folks, the 'peacekeepers' and the seeming majority of mid-road conversers.

In any case...

And Happy Birthday!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 27 2015, 9:55pm

Post #3 of 16 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Many happy return of your Tornibirday...er, Tornbirthaday...er, this day! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

And thank you for your profound thoughts. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 27 2015, 10:28pm

Post #4 of 16 (1477 views)
Shortcut
Happy TORnibirthdaversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for this thoughtful post! Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 27 2015, 10:59pm

Post #5 of 16 (1476 views)
Shortcut
Mods way, way up! And congratulaitons! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I might say: "You speak for me also."

Thank you. :)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 28 2015, 5:09am

Post #6 of 16 (1470 views)
Shortcut
Very thought-provoking. Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Tornibirthdaversary, neighbor!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 28 2015, 6:42pm

Post #7 of 16 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Brethil! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes it helps me to think about what we're doing here at TORn as, in part, building a culture/tradition with intent, rather than by happenstance. It helps that we look to Tolkien's work as inspiration, gathering point, and model.

Walk to Rivendell: Walk with the Fellowship Challenge - grab a buddy and let the magic live on, one step at a time.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 28 2015, 6:43pm

Post #8 of 16 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Aunt Dora!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 28 2015, 6:47pm

Post #9 of 16 (1428 views)
Shortcut
I just had to go and make up a new word... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue-twisters are fun, right? Evil Tongue

Thanks, dernwyn!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 28 2015, 6:51pm

Post #10 of 16 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

And may I add: it's great having you here! I've enjoyed your posts over the past year-and-a-half, and I look forward to more.

Ciars
Rohan

Mar 28 2015, 6:59pm

Post #11 of 16 (1429 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversaries to you! May the Tornroad continue on and on... [In reply to] Can't Post

I second that sentiment!
As Bilbo sang::

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 28 2015, 7:00pm

Post #12 of 16 (1426 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ethel Duath!// [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Mar 28 2015, 9:34pm

Post #13 of 16 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Great thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I use RL as a way of differentiating between the physical and the virtual, but never intend to asign value to one over the other. Experiences in either context are no less profound than in the other: relationships and challenges are as real online as in physical spaces.

Perhaps (as I've said before) the asynchronous nature of communication online makes it seem less real... But was/is letter writing any less real than real time communication? Are the stakes less? Yes we can disconnect easily by simply staying away from our terminals; but is that so different than avoiding or not visiting certain places in the physical world?

It is my hope that my best wishes to you in the year ahead are felt as real as if whispered in your ear Wink

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Mar 28 2015, 9:36pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 28 2015, 9:49pm

Post #14 of 16 (1411 views)
Shortcut
Aww, thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your words mean a lot to me. TORn truly has become my "online home" and that's all thanks to people like you. Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Mar 29 2015, 12:51am

Post #15 of 16 (1405 views)
Shortcut
I like this. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Sometimes it helps me to think about what we're doing here at TORn as, in part, building a culture/tradition with intent, rather than by happenstance. It helps that we look to Tolkien's work as inspiration, gathering point, and model.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 29 2015, 1:56pm

Post #16 of 16 (1396 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* Happy TORnibirthdaversary Arandiel!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

So well said... Wow! You give so much to TORn and keep all of us Walkers on the Road... THANK YOU!

Here are some floats to share with Beamer, Hobbit and Mr. Arandiel.. and the cake is for you!

Cheers, m'dear... and I hope you've had a wonderful Birthday!

Hobbit: BotFA Geeky Observation List draft #5 1/30/15

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observations List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observations List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.